Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

PostNouveau posted:

Well, he played Sir Twink basically.

And he spent the latter part of his tenure on the show as a starving prisoner. It's not absurd that he wasn't super built.

Doesn't mean he won't suck even with good direction/better writing/preparation time. But I agree that if that show was the shitburg it sounds like, literally no actor was going to do a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sir Twink is nothing compared to the terrible job Colleen did as a Sand Snake. Although that actually was the writers' fault - her lines, and the scenes she was in, were utter poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xealot posted:

And he spent the latter part of his tenure on the show as a starving prisoner. It's not absurd that he wasn't super built.

Ehhhh, spent like a season out of 6 as a prisoner. And the last one at that.

enraged_camel posted:

Sir Twink is nothing compared to the terrible job Colleen did as a Sand Snake. Although that actually was the writers' fault - her lines, and the scenes she was in, were utter poo poo.

Yeah, it's weird. Her fight scenes in Iron Fist were good, and then in GoT it looks like she's never done it before.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

We don't talk about the Sand Snakes :cripes:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

We don't talk about the Sand Snakes :cripes:

No, let's. You know, for variety.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Him being small on Game of Thrones never struck me as odd (non book reader) because I always interpreted it as he was a show knight who won jousts and poo poo but didn't actually fight in wars. He was really sore about how no one really respected him as a soldier and the whole thing kind of worked for me as being the rich, guilded knight.

I didn't hate Iron Fist like so many did but I thought that there was a clear air of mocking Danny during it too. It just never really hit because everyone who kind of rolled their eyes at Danny and got frustrated with his poo poo then had to be bailed out by him or were proven to be getting duped. Defenders will probably work better because Jessica and Stick are going to give him poo poo and Luke is going to laugh at him and you're going to be able to see Matt rolling his eyes behind his mask. They're all in a much better position to mock him and for it to really land.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

esperterra posted:

The show version of Loras was terrible. I didn't mind Jones in the role, but D&D boiled his character down to just 'gay'.

Loras was gay??

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Loras was gay??

Super duper gay. Him and Renly Baratheon made all the smooches.

Finn looked very pretty.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Super duper gay. Him and Renly Baratheon made all the smooches.

Finn looked very pretty.

Dude.

They were JOUSTING! Once they put their lances away, it is time for the Grand Melee.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We should just have a Shang-Chi, Master of Kung-Fu series that's about a superspy who happens to also know kung-fu.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

wiegieman posted:

We should just have a Shang-Chi, Master of Kung-Fu series that's about a superspy who happens to also know kung-fu.

And is also a ninja assassin with gender dysphoria?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not diverse enough, sorry.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

wiegieman posted:

And is the son of Fu-Manchu

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

achillesforever6 posted:

And is the son of Fu-Manchu

Not even call him that, just like "The Manchu" or something. I just think we need more good spy dramas.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...solo/509425001/
Yikes this early review is pretty brutal :stonk:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They're probably right, but only got through the first four episodes posted:

So how do you build a series when three heroes are appealing, well-formed characters with strong actors behind them, but the fourth is annoying, boring and poorly acted?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
lmfao we just need to give him more chances guys it's just not fair

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BrianWilly posted:

lmfao we just need to give him more chances guys it's just not fair

Something that isn't the actual position of anyone in this thread.

The actual position is that Iron Fist was so much of a poo poo show that it's hard to tell how much is Finn's fault and whether he'll be better when not surrounded by poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hahaha

quote:

The Defenders are only as strong as their weakest link. And they have a very weak link.

Guess who it is ....

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Like all of the solo series, it’s poorly paced, and takes far too long for the heroes to team up. They don’t appear together until the end of Episode 3.

I love that they still have the same lovely pacing issues as all the other Marvel Netflix shows. :negative:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I actually thought pacing was Iron Fist's one not terrible aspect. That may have just been a byproduct of the plot being an incomprehensible mess, though.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

gently caress you, Danny Rand?

Please let the Punisher shoot him on "accident."

Granted, this review does seem to rely heavily on Author Bias. I wanted X! You gave me Danny!

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 28, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm not going to read the review (I'm gonna watch the show regardless, so no point even vaguely spoiling myself or building up preconceived notions), but if the author's main point of contention is "Danny Rand still sucks and he makes this as bad as Iron Fist was" then I'm fine, because I liked Iron Fist.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Gyges posted:

Something that isn't the actual position of anyone in this t

[quote="Gyges" post="474798080"]

The actual position is that Iron Fist was so much of a poo poo show that it's hard to tell how much is Finn's fault and whether he'll be better when not surrounded by poo poo.

It was a pretty good show about the Meachum family and Coleen wasn't bad either. The weakest link was Danny himself. I can't believe anyone can defend Finn. His angry look, his confused look, and his constipated look are all the same. He has almost no chemistry with anyone else. Sure his dialogue and motives were bad as well, and that's on the writers but he didn't help them at all.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
There was no chemistry with Colleen either, it was just fuuuuccking awful. The surrounding cast did their best, but I just think Finn Jones walking around talking like the Comic book store guy from Simpsons constantly yammering about how he "has to defeat the hand", got old real quick.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 28, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

nelson posted:

It was a pretty good show about the Meachum family and Coleen wasn't bad either. The weakest link was Danny himself. I can't believe anyone can defend Finn. His angry look, his confused look, and his constipated look are all the same. He has almost no chemistry with anyone else. Sure his dialogue and motives were bad as well, and that's on the writers but he didn't help them at all.

The fact that I'm a huge GoT fan and didn't recognize him right away I found kinda impressive. There's so many people in Hollywood that seem to just act as themselves in everything they do (*cough*TOM CRUISE*cough*). Shame about everything else though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Some of the other early reviews have been more positive, so maybe wait and see?

quote:

It’s too soon to tell if Defenders can rehabilitate Danny’s image, but it at least makes Finn Jones’ performance make sense. Defenders calls out Danny’s privilege immediately and bluntly, and–in some of the most entertaining scenes of these episodes–smartly frames Danny as what he is: an immensely naive and socially stunted weirdo who foolishly throws money at the problems his infrequently used Iron Fist can’t solve. The show gives Danny just as much side-eye as Tumblr did, and that finally makes the character work. You can actually see Jones’ performance shift in these four episodes, going from childishly stoic to shockingly watchable as soon as he’s put in close quarters with Luke, Jess, and Matt. I did not expect Iron Fist to win me over in these four episodes, but here we are.

http://decider.com/2017/07/24/netflix-marvels-the-defenders-review/

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Doing anything Tumblr thinks is good will not be successful. Call it, Defenders is dead, and the Daredevil S2 braintrust killed it.

Gyges posted:

This. Though this will also probably be a shitshow which will probably settle it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HIJK posted:

Doing anything Tumblr thinks is good will not be successful. Call it, Defenders is dead, and the Daredevil S2 braintrust killed it.

lol shut up

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Arist posted:

lol shut up

you're not my real dad!!!!!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Habibi posted:

I actually thought pacing was Iron Fist's one not terrible aspect. That may have just been a byproduct of the plot being an incomprehensible mess, though.

Agreed. Finn was bad, but compared to the front loading of Luke Cage, the pacing of the series was so much better.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/890927322664062976 Sepinwall says the team up stuff is good, but it takes too long to get to. JJ is great, Sigourney is great, Glenn is great, Danny remains the worst. He has reservations but will watch the remaining four episodes that Netflix didn't send out for review, unlike Iron Fist which he didn't finish.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe that Daniel Randoman is the team anchor and not 'World's second least aerodynamic looking man' Luke Cage.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's so many people in Hollywood that seem to just act as themselves in everything they do (*cough*TOM CRUISE*cough*).

You didn't like him in Tropic Thunder?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Considering who kicked off the Netflix Marvel series and the identity of one of the main apparent antagonists it's is kind of surprising that Daredevil is apparently not the team anchor. He also seems like the most natural connective character after Claire to reasonably bring them all together.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gyges posted:

Considering who kicked off the Netflix Marvel series and the identity of one of the main apparent antagonists it's is kind of surprising that Daredevil is apparently not the team anchor. He also seems like the most natural connective character after Claire to reasonably bring them all together.

It's because Matt has retired. But other than that, you're right, more roads lead through Matt than Danny.

Also, this was fun
https://twitter.com/TheLewisTan/status/891039468588683264
What could he possibly be referring to? :thunk:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

PerniciousKnid posted:

Nobody remembers Les Grossman was Cruise and it's a loving shame because it's probably the best character he's ever played

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just watched the Iron Fist pilot. I want my money back. Or my time. Or really anything at all.

I'd love to know how Scott Buck pitched the show to Netflix. Like, what was his original vision for the show?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

original vision

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PerniciousKnid posted:

Or in Magnolia. Or even Collateral, in a way.