Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

If anyone's morbidly curious, I've put up a real rough demo at https://rozisdead.itch.io/awful-runners
Dead link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Ultigonio posted:

So, as the sound designer for Team PUNCH FIGHT, I have spent the last two or so weeks knee-deep in the learning process for UE4's blueprints. One recent challenge I had was that, when a bunch of boxes collided with one another, they would make their collision noises all at once and it was really terrible! In fact, they made so many collision noises at once that they had a nasty tendency of forcing my music tracks to restart, and I didn't want that. Unfortunately, UE4 is a bit different audio-wise compared to what I'm used to, so I found it a bit puzzling when I seemingly wasn't able to manipulate 3D sounds after they'd been played. After racking my brain for a few hours, I came up with this nugget in order to force collision sounds that were already playing to stop:

Given what coding experience I have in Game Maker (yes I know), I was 95% certain that attempting to call a sound that hadn't yet been defined would crash the game, but instead it worked exactly as intended. Wow!

FYI you can create a SoundCue thing in UE4 so that you can customize how many times a thing is allowed to play, randomize which sound is played from a list of things, etc etc. Might be worth looking into.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, look into sound cues. They give you exactly the kind of control you want over how the same sound effect will sound when played multiple times.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Love Stole the Day posted:

FYI you can create a SoundCue thing in UE4 so that you can customize how many times a thing is allowed to play, randomize which sound is played from a list of things, etc etc. Might be worth looking into.

Haha, yeah, an hour or so after posting that, I noticed how many errors were being produced from that (in spite of the fact that the game adamantly refused to crash), so I started checking out other options, and I found concurrence among them. Useful!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I am almost finished merging my dumb prototype UI with my partner's beautiful art work:

http://i.imgur.com/Loibq45.gifv

Still, this project won't be able to finish in time for the game jam but we'll still try to finish it eventually, at least.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 26, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

omg are you making egatrek

Willbutt
Mar 5, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

omg are you making egatrek

It looks like it, and I'm very excited.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think I'm officially throwing in the towel, not that anyone cares. A delayed start, way too much going on personally, loss of team, waning passion for the concept, and trying to learn how to code by myself during the jam all combined to grind me to a halt.

I hope nobody was terribly excited about playing a lousy, babby's-first-sidescroller knockoff of Sonic the Hedgehog that started with a sonic OC creator that let you modularly control your species, sex, color, favorite food, and personality traits (blademaster, autism, japanese, etc) and then let you go on a very short quest to rescue Sonic, who then declares you the most unique person he's ever met and then you kiss, the end

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

ALFbrot posted:

I think I'm officially throwing in the towel, not that anyone cares. A delayed start, way too much going on personally, loss of team, waning passion for the concept, and trying to learn how to code by myself during the jam all combined to grind me to a halt.

I hope nobody was terribly excited about playing a lousy, babby's-first-sidescroller knockoff of Sonic the Hedgehog that started with a sonic OC creator that let you modularly control your species, sex, color, favorite food, and personality traits (blademaster, autism, japanese, etc) and then let you go on a very short quest to rescue Sonic, who then declares you the most unique person he's ever met and then you kiss, the end

Spend a day making easily accessible level editing tools, release to the general public anyway. Congratulate yourself: You have now joined the elite ranks of many major game studios.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ultigonio posted:

Haha, yeah, an hour or so after posting that, I noticed how many errors were being produced from that (in spite of the fact that the game adamantly refused to crash), so I started checking out other options, and I found concurrence among them. Useful!

You might also make use of the "Do once" function, and reset it after some period of time.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
We have a boss battle now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIyDJmn8Btc

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

:negative:

IS LIFE EVEN WORTH LIVING ANYMORE!?

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I tried integrating steam into the game and I thought it worked but couldn't get steam integration to behave with an exported game

fortunately I've come up with a theme-relevant solution to this

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Tube posted:

Spend a day making easily accessible level editing tools, release to the general public anyway. Congratulate yourself: You have now joined the elite ranks of many major game studios.

Side question: does releasing a game for a game jam qualify as one of those elusive "shipped titles" that I keep hearing about in job advertisements?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Willbutt posted:

It looks like it, and I'm very excited.

Yep, EGA trek with a fancier 1080p graphics is the plan. ...and an inventory system for away-team mission quest stuff.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Okay I got a suuuper late start, but I think there's a slim chance I might actually finish this dumb thing? So, here are some screens from KURM FROG TEACH ABC.

I am hoping to corner the market on mupet-themed QWOPlike interactive fiction this year.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
e: failed upload image.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 27, 2017

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
What I asked my teams artist to draw: A statue with an open mouth that can shoot projectiles from the mouth.
What I expected: A cute, small statue, in bright, strong colors.
What I got:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rob Filter posted:

What I asked my teams artist to draw: A statue with an open mouth that can shoot projectiles from the mouth.
What I expected: A cute, small statue, in bright, strong colors.
What I got:

talk about rolling a nat 1 on your leadership check

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

WrathOfBlade posted:

Okay I got a suuuper late start, but I think there's a slim chance I might actually finish this dumb thing? So, here are some screens from KURM FROG TEACH ABC.

I am hoping to corner the market on mupet-themed QWOPlike interactive fiction this year.

:swoon: Oh my goooddddd

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/890306539654975492

Here have a bug

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Working on an adventure game of sorts I suppose

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/890559147514634241

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Make sure that kind of art is featured prominently on your game's page because I will totally play games with that kind of art.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
DMCA TAKEDOWN: SEIZE & DESIST

In this side scrolling brawler, you'll take control of a janky infringing bootleg. Fight for your right to exist by punching the legal system right in its face.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/890655044793622528

my heart goes out to the many #basketballwives and to Tom for dealing with me making progress shots where stuff he doesn't want seen is visible

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/JCatrambone/status/890699715192291338

I should probably be doing something more productive, but...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just a friendly reminder to start testing the release builds of your stuff, as they may behave differently than the development builds.

Also we're to the point where minor changes to splash screens break in-game interactions in unfathomable ways. But there are just a few more cards to put on this house...

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/890802763474456577

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

My first (unintentional/real) bug

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/890803850910638082

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This took waay too long to do

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/890852622567178240

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The first post and the subheading for awfuljams.com state the competition as running from July 7th through August 1st. I know we got the 7th and based on the wording I'd expect we get the 1st. But the timer implies that the event ends with the end of July 31st (or maybe I can't do timer math).

Are these due Monday or Tuesday?

I'd expect to have Tuesday (the 1st) to do last-minute work, but it'd be good to know if they're actually due by the end of Monday (the 31st).

Edit: I'm dumb but my question still stands.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 28, 2017

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Monday is the 31st! Unless there is something terribly wrong with my calendar.

Also just wanna throw out there that I am super excited to play all of these games (especially Shoehead's and Krillin's)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for that; I'm less personally worried since now I definitely get the Monday I'd planned on. But I'd still like the ambiguity with regard to the deadline resolved.

You'd think, given how frequently my day job requires dealing with the intricacies of dates and timezone representations, that I'd know how to read a calendar by now.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chernabog posted:

Still missing quite a few animations but there is some progress.

Reminding me of Cuphead/40's toons. Love it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks, I've been using steamboat Willie and other old cartoons as inspiration.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Chernabog posted:

Thanks, I've been using steamboat Willie and other old cartoons as inspiration.

As a fun coincidence, I made something like that in my last game jam a few months ago (but with garbage programmer art). Not that I was being original, though. My thing was actually just a knockoff of one of my old favorite Newgrounds games: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/270585

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGgwjc5v-so

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 29, 2017

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
Finally got my menus sorted. Now to just iron out the bugs and maybe make some box art in what little time I have left.

I'm super pumped to play all of these games. This is a good bunch of games.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Going to throw in the towel this go round and feed the Wall; it was nice to try a new game engine and art tools out though. Looking forward to playing the other games, the Rocket League bootleg looks really good.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Legs is in good shape and everything is just polish at this point, there are bits that are super rough but it's good enough still. I'm excited to reveal but need a little more time. Having to do a 4 day trip right at the end isn't helping

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hammer Bro. posted:

The first post and the subheading for awfuljams.com state the competition as running from July 7th through August 1st. I know we got the 7th and based on the wording I'd expect we get the 1st. But the timer implies that the event ends with the end of July 31st (or maybe I can't do timer math).

Are these due Monday or Tuesday?

I'd expect to have Tuesday (the 1st) to do last-minute work, but it'd be good to know if they're actually due by the end of Monday (the 31st).

Edit: I'm dumb but my question still stands.

It was originally supposed to Start on the 7th and end on the 1st. But since the messaging got messed up in many places to say "thought" instead of "until" I pushed the timer up to reflect going "through" August 1st.

Happy Jamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just found out that my release builds do not work in any capacity, so my jamming will indeed be happy for these next few days.

Test your builds, people.

• Locked thread