Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I feel like Rein's charge should win unless Doomfist's punch is fully charged.

So you can't beat it by just clicking in his general direction at 1-2 charge, it's a tie at 3 charge, and at 4 Doomfist just wins outright. The punch charges relatively quickly charge anyway, and if you can predict (or get lucky) and land a fully charged punch on a charging Rein you should be rewarded imo. It doesn't seem like a situation that'll come up that often anyway, but "character X's charge beats character Y's charge" seems like a bad precedent to set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

doomfist already clowns on rein's shield, he doesn't also need to beat him in a charge duel. especially when doomfist's charge is faster and has more mobility options

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So a defense/tank combo hero that has a long range hook-stun AND can go invisible to drop bombs AND has straight up taunts?

So totally fake, it's an nice character design at least.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I think that if they nerf Doomfist anytime soon it'll be a mistake. His counters are much stronger against him than Genji's are. and also he can punch genji around which is great

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Slime posted:

I think that if they nerf Doomfist anytime soon it'll be a mistake. His counters are much stronger against him than Genji's are. and also he can punch genji around which is great

"Ryūjin no ke- *Wall*"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Slime posted:

Even when i was getting smacked around by a good Doomfist I didn't mind, whereas a good Genji is just infuriating.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Even when i was getting smacked around by a good Doomfist I didn't mind, whereas a good Genji is just infuriating.

Genji's has a "whoops i hosed up" button that makes a lot of bad positioning with him hard to punish. Then someone else kills the person he hit with a single shuriken and he dashes away. Doomfist doesn't have those advantages, if he fucks up he gets shot to death.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Slime posted:

Genji's has a "whoops i hosed up" button that makes a lot of bad positioning with him hard to punish. Then someone else kills the person he hit with a single shuriken and he dashes away. Doomfist doesn't have those advantages, if he fucks up he gets shot to death.
Goddamn, yeah, that's a pain. Even if I somehow duel a single Genji, whether or not he has dash up is a crapshoot even if I bait it and its stupid hitbox out successfully. Basically, I just hate fighting Genji, so Doomfist has been great.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
he's very fun to fight against even and I don't think I can say that about anyone else except maybe mcree but for different reasons

he feels legit balanced but they should bring back his super jump

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Can doomfist punch a deflecting genji?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hot take: Doomfist's uppercut highlight intro is underwhelming.

Pretty sure the same person worked on Soldier's and Doomfist's intros

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Can doomfist punch a deflecting genji?

You're goddamn right he can. Doomfist is the best Genji counter.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bumper Stickup posted:

You're goddamn right he can. Doomfist is the best Genji counter.

I had a Genji on my team whining up a storm about how stupid Doomfist is for exactly this reason, and it just makes me love Doomfist all the more even when he's punching me into a wall

gently caress Genji.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Does Junkrat's trap stop Doom's charge? It stops Rein's. Junkrat superiority. Except that whole one-punch-kill thing.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

pzy posted:

Does Junkrat's trap stop Doom's charge? It stops Rein's. Junkrat superiority. Except that whole one-punch-kill thing.

It didn't on PTR but it's supposed to now. I just haven't seen it yet to be sure.

Slime posted:

I had a Genji on my team whining up a storm about how stupid Doomfist is for exactly this reason, and it just makes me love Doomfist all the more even when he's punching me into a wall

gently caress Genji.

I had a Genji dash through me just to be splattered into a wall with my super punch. It's fantastic. Dead Genji is the best Genji.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Slime posted:

gently caress Genji.

You and that Genji are making the same mistake.

Genji and Doomfist are both good because they have the freedom to be incredibly frustrating when you die to them. That is, the frustration isn't the point, but it is the inevitable consequence of powerful and fun offensive abilities.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Baiting a doomfist and then mopping him up when he slams a wall is so loving satisfying

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sockser posted:

Baiting a doomfist and then mopping him up when he slams a wall is so loving satisfying

Yup. That all or nothing gamble on a moderately slow / long cooldown skill is exciting, for everyone involved, because all of the outcomes are so emotionally charged and getting it to land is a mix of execution and outwitting the other guy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You and that Genji are making the same mistake.

Genji and Doomfist are both good because they have the freedom to be incredibly frustrating when you die to them. That is, the frustration isn't the point, but it is the inevitable consequence of powerful and fun offensive abilities.

Doomfist doesn't have reflect or a dash that resets cooldown because he grazed someone that his team actually did the job of killing, he's much, much less frustrating to go up against.

also i've been going sombra just to hack genjis and watch them flail when they don't have dash and reflect to save them which is immensely fun

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

honestly neither is as annoying as d.va can be. I much prefer getting clowned on by a genji than have a d.va sit there wasting my time with defense matrix

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Slime posted:

Doomfist doesn't have reflect or a dash that resets cooldown because he grazed someone that his team actually did the job of killing, he's much, much less frustrating to go up against.

Yeah and Genji doesn't have a 1HKO on 200 hp heroes or an ult that literally takes his hitbox off the battlefield. What you find most frustrating is typically going to be related to what's most effective against you, if only because the novelty wears off quicker.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

is there a thread for dumb questions about OW?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

honestly neither is as annoying as d.va can be. I much prefer getting clowned on by a genji than have a d.va sit there wasting my time with defense matrix

Nah I much rather would fight a Dva than Genji. Dva is annoying to be sure but Genji just sends me into tunnel vision anger.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

at least when a genji dash resets you into oblivion you can appreciate the skill involved. d.va just voids your ability to do anything and it's incredibly unsatisfying

Yaws posted:

every ow thread is for that

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yaws posted:

yes, and it's called cowcaster, and it's not a thread, but a poster on the sa forums

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

This has been bugging me too. Having to make her lose her DM with direct fire just to be able to throw something out while she regains it. Not enough to cryhard about nerfs but still its an annoying knock on effect to have to handle and especially ruins the idea of clutch. I don't know about everyone else but I love that clutch exists in the game,.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

wit posted:

I don't know about everyone else but I love that clutch exists in the game,.

New hero "Clutch" confirmed by Something Awful Forums member wit.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

New hero "Clutch" confirmed by Something Awful Forums member wit.

To unlock this hero you have to use the secret third option when asked if you prefer sparkling or still.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

wit posted:

This has been bugging me too. Having to make her lose her DM with direct fire just to be able to throw something out while she regains it. Not enough to cryhard about nerfs but still its an annoying knock on effect to have to handle and especially ruins the idea of clutch. I don't know about everyone else but I love that clutch exists in the game,.

It has a lack of feedback. Barriers you can shoot and break over time and see them crack, dva just has mystery mitigation that she doesn't even announce. It would be nice if she at least announced when it was low like Reinhardt so I can know to stop standing in it

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kassoon posted:

It has a lack of feedback. Barriers you can shoot and break over time and see them crack, dva just has mystery mitigation that she doesn't even announce. It would be nice if she at least announced when it was low like Reinhardt so I can know to stop standing in it

And then it becomes d.va has a delay on her shield which makes it useless. Its blizzard games.txt, we keep cheesing these these moves in ways they're not supposed to be used on paper.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The matrix projection should start green and transition across the spectrum to red as it runs out

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm watching people slowly figure out doomfist and it seems like the key to not dying to him is to just not be close enough to a wall for him to charge you to death instantly.

That uppercut is killer for close-quarter characters because he just vanishes from your vision. Other than that I didn't have much trouble with him outside of when I played Lucio- I dunno why but I got punched a whole loving bunch by him as Lucio.

As Zen he hasn't really been a bother yet. I orb him and then he dies in CQC with the rest of the team :shrug:

I do like watching him delete "pro genjis" and combo all the tanks though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When are the junkrat changes coming?

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The matrix projection should start green and transition across the spectrum to red as it runs out

ya do this

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I feel like at some point they tweaked Doomfist's charge from PTR. When he punches you into a wall at a really really shallow angle it feels like it still consistently kills, whereas on the PTR it felt like you'd bounce off the walls unless it was pretty perpendicular. Honestly, getting charged into a wall at a 15 degree angle and instantly dying feels really really lovely. If I get pinned into a wall at a pretty reasonable angle, then sure, I was positioned wrong, but nothing feels worse than to be sitting in a hallway and being punted more or less directly down the hallway and barely grazing a wall and ending up instantly dead. It feels way more frustrating than Roadhog's hook ever did, or even Hanzo's scatter.

Doomfist is fine otherwise, and he's probably fine balance wise. His hitbox is huge and if he misses his charge he's basically stuck floundering. I would be super happy with Doomfist if they gave him back his super jump/made seismic slam much more responsive again and made it so he had to have a >60 degree angle to the wall to get the bonus charge damage.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I've just moved back to the UK from China and the skill level here is a joke, I've jumped about 600 ranking points in a day and it still feels like easy mode, are euros really this poo poo? The skill level in any other FPS game I've played in Asia has always been loving dire so what is happening?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno, i figured Asia in general was better at games, this is the first i've heard of them maybe not being better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

someone did a writeup on this subject once, or maybe it was a video I forget. they said that asia has a reputation for being worse at shooters because asia doesn't play the same ones as we do (why would china or w/e care about battlefield or call of duty, for example). that leads to there being less teams in pro games as well so you don't see a lot of success from them at the top level since there's no one there to deliver it

e: I remember people saying stuff about how south korea had good teamwork but worse mechanical skill back around the time of the first world cup as well. rip that idea

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I've just moved back to the UK from China and the skill level here is a joke, I've jumped about 600 ranking points in a day and it still feels like easy mode, are euros really this poo poo? The skill level in any other FPS game I've played in Asia has always been loving dire so what is happening?

I don't think it keeps your rank across servers does it? If so maybe the server's still assigning you a rank ridiculously lower than your experience warrants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Had a pretty great match on Eichenwald defense. Teamplay on both sides but I think people were a little too conservative with their ults. We had a teamfight on the first CP that literally had something like 6-7 ults deployed. Enemy led with an EMP, then a dragonblade, then their Doomfist used meteor strike, then our Mercy rezzed the 4 of us that died, then our Bastion went tankmode and killed like 3 of them, then they rezzed, then their Zarya graviton bombed us, then I used Harmony to negate it. What a clusterfuck.