Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

For reference:

As always, IANAL, but nothing about that leads me to believe the VA that has any authority to declare someone a mental defective and thus strip someone of their rights. I doubt that there are any judges on the VA's payroll.

This covers the transaction, not the process of declaring someone mentally defective.

The VA, as a health care entity, reports to the FBI (who runs NICS) that so and so with SSN such and such has been deemed mentally incompetent. So and so goes to buy a gun, NICS kicks back a "do not sell" to the dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I dunno, I think every agency/facility/institution should have a judge on payroll to deem people mentally incapable of whatever.

There could be a whole mess of them reporting to one government agency.

And they could be issued sick helmets.

Just thinkin out loud here.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Victor Vermis posted:

I dunno, I think every agency/facility/institution should have a judge on payroll to deem people mentally incapable of whatever.

There could be a whole mess of them reporting to one government agency.

And they could be issued sick helmets.

Just thinkin out loud here.

They could probably handle adjudication of guilt more effectively than juries, too. Stands to reason that a judge would understand the law better than twelve idiots who couldn't get out of jury duty.

It's a thought.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Arc Light posted:

They could probably handle adjudication of guilt more effectively than juries, too. Stands to reason that a judge would understand the law better than twelve idiots who couldn't get out of jury duty.

It's a thought.

Oh wow yeah that's true, juries are poo poo.

And honestly I think one of the biggest drawbacks to the death penalty that nobody really ever acknowledges is that loving JURIES full of said-idiots are the ones serving defendants up for death.

If the flawed jury factor in the judicial system were to be bypassed entirely, I think that would merit a total re-evaluation of the many virtues of the death penalty.

In a vacuum free of idiot peers, death solves a lot of society's problems.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Well I'm convinced

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's a dangerous world out there for someone taking all this responsibility. We better look into giving them some really good armor and biometric security on their guns.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

It's a dangerous world out there for someone taking all this responsibility. We better look into giving them some really good armor and biometric security on their guns.

I wasn't down for this initially, but upon further consideration the "HE WAS REACHING FOR MY GUN!" defense can still apply if the gun is heavy enough and vaguely cudgel-shaped.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Just GIS'd "Cudgel" and I'm not seeing a lot of consistency.

The point still stands though.

Since everything everywhere is potentially cudgel-shaped.

Schroedinger's Holster.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I've never been summoned for jury duty. I think I'd actually enjoy it. :(

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

yea it sounds like a hoot until you consider that youre gonna be getting paid a lot less than you normally make. last time i was summoned i got pretty loving far into the selection process, and i was legit worried about the prospect of making 50 bucks a day while being holed up in some loving hotel for three weeks

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Oh, I'm well aware of that. Being cut off from the world for an indeterminate length of time isn't exactly new, though, so....

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
50 buck a day

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
like if youre juroring for 8 hours a day that isnt even minimum wage. how is that legal

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

like if youre juroring for 8 hours a day that isnt even minimum wage. how is that legal

Just say you are an atheist anarchist.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Naked Bear posted:

Yeah until you're hearing a case involving the rape of a minor by her step-grandfather.

Yeah that case sucked. :(

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nystral posted:

Yeah until you're hearing a case involving the rape of a minor by her step-grandfather.

Yeah that case sucked. :(

At least you get to do something about it. That's pretty awesome.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My job pays for jury duty, you just have to forfeit the pittance they give you.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Carteret posted:

My job pays for jury duty, you just have to forfeit the pittance they give you.

Jesus gently caress, I was about to ask "HOW THE gently caress DO YOU NOT GET COMPENSATION FOR THAT FROM SOME SOURCE?"

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
My job pays for prosecution duty :capitalism:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I get to call witnesses, say things like "Objection: hearsay", and make closing arguments.

JUST LIKE ON TV!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Filibuster!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
objection: heresy!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Objection!
Sustained!
Overruled!
Sidebar!
Guilty!
Speculation!
Hearsay!
Bailiff!
Briefcase!
In my chambers!
Stop beavering the witness!

I rest my case.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

Objection!
Sustained!
Overruled!
Sidebar!
Guilty!
Speculation!
Hearsay!
Bailiff!
Briefcase!
In my chambers!

I rest my case.

:heysexy:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

Objection!
Sustained!
Overruled!
Sidebar!
Guilty!
Speculation!
Hearsay!
Bailiff!
Briefcase!
In my chambers!

I rest my case.

Jury nullification!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Wasabi the J posted:

Jury nullification!

The two magic "get out of jury duty" words.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Come on now, if you're dumb enough to get past jury selection, your next move is to pull your dick out during opening arguments. Don't play with it, just let it breathe.

Also lock eyes with random people in the court room and mouth bullshit silently at them.

Ten minutes, you'll be done and an auxiliary will take your seat.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
drat, this fell of the first page. Maybe that Irma survivor from the cop thread will come in here for a few last gasps before that sweet CO induced 30 day coma kicks in.

Anyway,

The Iron Rose posted:

How on earth?

Pompaeo is a fool, but nothing he said in that letter was wrong.

Let's call in some of the barracks lawyers to quibble about the traitor tag. That Pompaeo uses. A lot. I'm going with aid and comfort means a lot more than doing something that has some kind of good result with someone hostile to the US. Because I once gave a cup of tea to a British national, and I don't want to think about being hung over it. LIkewise, I don't want to hang people over their stupid, impulsive actions done to expose the terrible betrayal of the principals of freedom, equal protection, and rule of law.

Also, I'm going with no harm, no foul. The document dump from the SIPR wiki that E-3 or whatever was already in Russia's hands. OK, I take that back a little. Those diplomatic cables probably undermined several efforts. And shut down some sources. The cables and sources that an E-3 copied and pasted on a USB or whatever. Because she could. I suspect we were using some bad practices that compromised a lot of what we were doing anyway. And anyone bitching about some wrecked counter-counter-counter espionage efforts that relied on them not knowing that we knew that they knew something they didn't think we knew about what they knew about what we do that they shouldn't know about has their head so far up their rear end, they're tasting their own tongue. Somehow.

Aldrich Ames showed us that no matter how deep or how extensive the mole operation is, we come out on top. And there is no reasonable way to keep our IC from leaking like a colander short of dragging everyone suspected of even breathing in a revealing way into one of the J. Edgar Hoover building's courtyards and redecorating a concrete wall with an abstract grey and red pattern.

And who loving cares, Putin has Trump by the bank accounts and the piss tape. Manning dumped documents. Woop-de-loving-do.

And most of all "Manning betrayed the warrior ethos of the United States Army!" :barf:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Everytime someone says Manning without a first name, I immediately think of one of the Manning football brothers. Usually Eli because he has that special-education vibe & 6-head skull.
So Eli Manning dumped documents online?

The NFL must have been pissed. Those playbooks are worth gold.
And Russia was somehow involved?
Mother of god, Russian football would be insane. I could see Krokodil being the official opioid sponsor of the RFL just like Gatorade is the official sponsor of the NFL for hydration.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 15, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

lmbo

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Continuing my argument with Dead Reckoning here-

This is why you have nationalized standards, because localized standards don't always take this into account when oftentimes they should-

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/835297

In addition to this- backboards. Backboards should have been phased out a long time ago for most patients, but it's only being done locally in areas with proactive MPDs.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

It's really weird that a college activist suffering from depression and gender dysphoria was in a position to martyr themselves in the name of LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME ALL COPS ARE BADDDDDDDDDD

On the list of wild, crazy outcomes for somebody entering adulthood chock-full of mental illness and zero self-worth, that's up there with opiate overdose and enlisting in the Marine Corps.

Strange days.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
At the very least, nationalized standards lessen the amount of liability for localized departments when it comes to this poo poo. As long as they can prove their officers have gone through and followed the mandated poo poo required, that is. It's the same fuckin thing in EMS. Liability is massive, limiting liability is the very least departments and districts can do.

gently caress dude, I'm trained to deliver babies. You think if that ever comes up and I'm required to do it, I'm not gonna be making GBS threads my pants in the process? At the least, I'm regularly required to go through training for it and demonstrate my ability in that training in the instance it comes up. If something goes wrong during me giving birth to someone's brand new lizard, as long as my training on it is up to date and the department can prove that (and I have documented everything spectacularly well and justified my actions), hopefully everything is ok.

My training on that is a nationalized standard.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 20, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Victor Vermis posted:

ALL COPS ARE BADDDDDDDDDD

well he wasnt wrong

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

well he wasnt wrong

wow makes you think

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

If you're going to appropriate the suffering of a minority population in America, why choose denying the existence of your own weiner enroute to transparently manufacturing a glorious #BLM death?

Take up Catholicism, crank out 10 kids, lose your social security card, roll your own cigarettes, work 80 hours a week, and wear cowboy boots.

Dancing with your granddaughter at her quinceanera beats getting dusted by Campus Police.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Victor Vermis posted:

If you're going to appropriate the suffering of a minority population in America, why choose denying the existence of your own weiner enroute to transparently manufacturing a glorious #BLM death?

Take up Catholicism, crank out 10 kids, lose your social security card, roll your own cigarettes, work 80 hours a week, and wear cowboy boots.

Dancing with your granddaughter at her quinceanera beats getting dusted by Campus Police.

Are you giving the dusted kid advice? He gone

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This kid is already dead

https://twitter.com/madmeyers/status/909297943458582528

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

thats not a knife

Adbot