Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shear Modulus posted:

the weirdest part is how they always pretend like Indistinguishable Rich White Ivy Leaguer Who Only Speaks in Thomas Friedmanese #273637 is a fresh new face

*freshly* we must destroy the teachers unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thomas Friedman must be really upset that all these people are stealing his rhetorical style and not paying him. If only a Malaysian cab driver had warned him about this.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/891107687571886080

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

*freshly* we must destroy the teachers unions

Let's reach across the aisle to find private sector solutions to national problems!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

quote:

Thank you for reaching out to me with your views regarding a single payer health care system. Listening to my constituents is a fundamental
part of my job as it helps me to best represent you and New Hampshire's priorities in Congress.

As you know, under a single payer health care system, the federal government would be financially responsible for all necessary health care
costs. I share your commitment to ensuring that all Americans have access to quality, affordable medical care.

Public Law 111-148, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, was signed into law by President Obama on March 23, 2010. Although I
was not in Congress when the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was debated and voted on, I do support many of its reforms to increase access to
affordable health care. Among this law’s most beneficial provisions are those that expand options for small businesses through tax credits,
lower prescription drug costs for seniors, end abusive insurance company practices such as the denial of health care coverage to individuals
with preexisting conditions, and expand coverage to millions of previously uninsured Americans. The ACA also takes initial steps to find
savings in our health care system, including the reduction of Medicare overpayments to private insurance companies and paying health care
providers for how well they treat patients, rather than how often.

I recognize that the ACA is far from perfect and did not do enough to address the skyrocketing cost of insurance or crack down on waste and
abuse within the health care system. That being said, President Trump's current plan in Congress to repeal and replace the ACA will make
America's healthcare system worse. I am committed to finding ways to reduce health care costs for New Hampshire families and
businesses by fighting fraud, supporting innovation, and protecting access to preventive medicine. As your Representative, I will
continue working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to support common sense efforts to improve access to quality
health care services for Granite Staters.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. I strive to maintain an open dialogue with the people of New Hampshire
about issues important to our district. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my Concord
office at (603) 226-1002 or my Washington, DC office at (202) 225-5206 or visit my website at http://kuster.house.gov.
I wrote my Congresswoman expressing support for a single payer healthcare system and this is the response I received today.

Not good enough. :mad:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"it's far from perfect, but i'll be goddamned if i'll do the one thing that will fix it, and instead come up with several hundred complicated minor fixes that help give the insurance companies who donate to me the most money possible."

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
republican agenda:

1. more money for us.
2. gently caress you.

democratic agenda:

1. we're not republicans
2. more money for us
3. gently caress you

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

republican agenda:

1. more money for us.
2. gently caress you.

democratic agenda:

1. we're not republicans
2. more money for us
3. gently caress you

No but you see there's a huge difference between the two parties okay, just listen to Aaron Sorkin.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

are you sure? cuz i could swear chapo trap house has taken over the democratic party and are currently sipping beers from hillary's skull with president for life bernie sanders

that's not alt-left. but if it were I'm
100% on board

Serf
May 5, 2011

i think america would need a left before there could be an alt to it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I wrote my Congresswoman expressing support for a single payer healthcare system and this is the response I received today.

Not good enough. :mad:

thank you for your interest in HEALTH CARE. i know that HEALTH CARE is important to you and I will fix all the problems with it by working with Republicans to find solutions for it. vote for me in 2018 thx bai

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Dems don't say gently caress you and they think that makes the difference

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Thank you for reaching out to me about X ... listening is important ... as you know, the definition of X is ... I supported a previous bill within the same category of X ... By the end of this response I will not write whether or not I support X. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. My autoresponse strives to maintain an open dialog with my spam folder.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lol

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ok that's actually funny

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The Dems don't say gently caress you and they think that makes the difference

ya its called having morals :smuggo:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
:bagl:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Phonycian/status/890721365090762752

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

OhFunny's congressman posted:

I recognize that the ACA is far from perfect and did not do enough to address the skyrocketing cost of insurance or crack down on waste and
abuse within the health care system. That being said, President Trump's current plan in Congress to repeal and replace the ACA will make
America's healthcare system worse.

literally "but have you seen the other guys?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

no

its even stupider

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
By Thursday, the time crunch was on. One Senator proposed an amendment that would basically create a national single-payer option, expanding Medicaid universally; the Senate immediately voted that down, 57-0.

nice

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Democrats are cheerleading going to war with both Russia and Iran while simultaneously believing the president is a puppet of Moscow. Like what do they think will happen, a military coup?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rand alPaul posted:

Democrats are cheerleading going to war with both Russia and Iran while simultaneously believing the president is a puppet of Moscow. Like what do they think will happen, a military coup?

Honestly? Probably. He's surrounded by generals and we're about to plunge into a multifront war.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Honestly? Probably. He's surrounded by generals and we're about to plunge into a multifront war.

One of these generals, the 'moderating force', is often out of earshot from the PotUS, unable to keep any real leash on an unstable manbaby.
The other is a whimpering sycophant who only embarrasses himself in some vain attempt to maintain order.
Our last general is a pugnacious madman closer to a classical fascist than most in the cabinet who should have absolutely no place within the civilian government under any circumstances.

guess which of these guys is getting brought in even closer to trump

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand alPaul posted:

They've absolutely fantasized about this in the past.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ftw

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Relin posted:

By Thursday, the time crunch was on. One Senator proposed an amendment that would basically create a national single-payer option, expanding Medicaid universally; the Senate immediately voted that down, 57-0.

nice
Trick republican bill fortunately

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

Trick republican bill fortunately

what was the trick anyway, I don't think I caught what voting for the amendment would have allowed Mitch to do

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Rand alPaul posted:

Imperialism is a hell of a drug, a large chunk of the democratic party spent the entire time up to the inauguration trying to sabotage the Iran deal.

Also the dems are still fantasizing about the virtuous soldier of the republic who will disobey unlawful orders (also any and all war crimes committed against foreign browns are lawful orders unless it becomes too embarassing)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i don't have the means to express why in exact, methodical terms, but my intuition is leading me to believe these sanctions are somehow going to get us all killed

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what was the trick anyway, I don't think I caught what voting for the amendment would have allowed Mitch to do
More of having the dems vote to reveal intra-party issues (singlepayer is a hot topic!) and the fact that it was an amendment to a bill they have yet to see. From the sounds of it after the bill is revealed Sanders wants to vote on his own single payer amendment which probably has more progressive wording

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It would have allowed them to create single payer. Dems should have called their bluff but that would mean they'd be committing to single-payer, and we can't have that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh I was hopping there was some bizarre Byzantine rule where Mitch got a free spin if he managed to trick the other side

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh I was hopping there was some bizarre Byzantine rule where Mitch got a free spin if he managed to trick the other side
I don't know what the internal GOP reward structure is so that could very well be one of them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
i love the thread title

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/stephneallison/status/891122610179907584

I want to die