Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm waiting for someone to create the VR equivalent of IRC or something, an actual open standard. A standalone VR social space can't really work when every VR multiplayer game is a VR social space by default and both Valve and Oculus have their own integrated VR social spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

I know alt space vr wasn't perfect or even all that good but I'm sad they're shutting down :(

Feels like the beginning of things to come.

It is sad, but not really surprising. They were too much pandering to GearVR type headsets which is understandable because there are a lot more of those out in the wild, but even beyond that, they weren't monetizing users at all and the software has been pretty much stagnate the entire time. I mean you got things like Bigscreen, Rec Room, VTime etc that keep adding new features and then you have AltSpace which for all intents and purposes is the same today as it was when it launched.

edit: I don't really enjoy the X series games, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this, X Rebirth VR edition is up on Oculus Home early access
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1001689043272976/

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 28, 2017

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, every time I play Robo Recall, I inevitably start spinning around and doing akimbo poses while I blast robots. I'm sure to an outside observer, I look like a total jackass, but I'm wearing giant googles that prevent me from seeing how dumb I look, so in my head, I'm a badass action hero. Good enough for me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stick100 posted:

I think you made you're own point. It's impossible to feel consistently awesome and you shouldn't want that. Feeling awesome/empowered all of the time without actually performing at your highest level sounds like a mental disorder more than an experience that's possible to create. Instead you should have good enough feedback that you occasionally feel awesome (when you're doing awesome). As humans we continuously reevaluate ourselves and actions so that we will only feel awesome if we doing something that's not only great but great compared to our previous performances. When you start bowling getting a strike feels awesome, but once you start to get good it requires a Turkey, then it requires more and more until you need a perfect or near perfect game to feel like you did awesome.

I feel pretty awesome when I get a incredible run of a song on Sound boxing and score in the the top spot or top 5% on a heavily played title.

if you want to have real 'I'm a badass that was awesome" moments in superhot you need to either play Hardcore mode (and even then it's pretty easy) or endless. Endless mode is a never ending barrage of feeling like a loving badass. See this video for an example of some imo pretty sweet moves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWqQUz0xAAQ&t=181s

For other stuff that gives me that 'rush' feeling:

1. beating a hard level in Serious Sam Last Hope
2. setting up a sick combo chain in To The Top
3. making a hard leap in Climbey

Along with Endless mode of Superhot, the things these have in common is that they're pretty difficult. So yes, I agree.

edit: if I were better at it Space Pirate Trainer would definitely be on this list. Again, the determining factor is that it's something you can physically be good at, games that kind of make you cool by default like sairento aren't the same thing at all.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 28, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, regarding Altspace, it looks like they were hit with a patent troll :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6q4idg/alt_space_patent_infringement_lawsuit/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kaffo posted:

What do I mean? Like Superhot, it was cool, but I rarely felt that awesome, I just felt like I was shooting guys and throwing stuff slowly. I expected to feel like Neo in the Martix, but I didn't

I'm sorry that your inner child is dead like most goons.

I do feel like Neo and I've never had so much fun.

Either your expectations are too high or your imagination is too low.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nah, Doom makes me feel awesome all the time and in VR, Superhot does it for me. It's because if you're good at those games, it's a constant positive feedback loop. If you were shooting guys and throwing stuff slowly, that's because you chose to shoot guys and throw stuff slowly. You can play Superhot as quickly as you want.

Yup.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Thanks for the replies ladies

Maybe I was thinking too much into it?

haveblue posted:

"Consistently awesome" is a vague and subjective term but even in Hollywood movies you don't get intense action in literally every second of screentime. All the best action movies you can think of (including The Matrix) have downtime where people talk and stuff isn't blowing up and when it's done right it only serves to build up and reinforce the moments where it does happen. I just watched John Wick Chapter 2 the other day and the 20 minutes running around Rome buying guns and secreting them in tunnels or the long bit where he's just staring at Common on the PATH train were at least as intense as the parts where he's actually killing dudes.

I mean, if do you want endless constant action and awesomness there's Michael Bay, but his movies are generally considered crap for a reason and even he makes some attempt at rounding things out.

I think you make a good point. I suppose the way I was thinking about it is: while you are doing the action part of the game, you should be feeling awesome. When you are at the shop buying ammo or having a cutscene, that's your downtime.

I also suppose another problem is we have a lot of wave based shooters right now, where the entire game is the action... And a menu screen.

Regardless, I think my game is pretty fun so far, and I think I'll have the bad rear end factor nailed down.

Also I need to try Robo Recall and Superhot endless, they both sound super fun!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Got my third camera from Oculus. $59, free shipping, no tax, got to pay through Paypal, and they even included a $6 Monoprice 15ft USB 2.0 active extension cable.

I guess the listing at https://www.oculus.com/accessories/ mentions that it includes an extension cable, but I didn't notice that, so that's a nice surprise anyways.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
After the open beta ended for Echo Arena the devs and some of the community members (including me) did a showmatch, where we got poo poo stomped :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFGDcPEnji0

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you want to feel more like a badass, let go of your inhibitions and start acting like a complete tool. Shoot at people without looking. Flip your guns around in the air. Mic drop your guns in Robo Recall after you finish a section. There's so much room to do all the goofy things you'd love to do in flatscreen games when you have complete control of your character's hands.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
brb starting a kickstarter for a piece of plastic you glue around your trigger that lets you spin the controller around your finger like in the old west

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

The Walrus posted:

brb starting a kickstarter for a piece of plastic you glue around your trigger that lets you spin the controller around your finger like in the old west

I would absolutely buy this, just for Sairento and Raw Data.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Walrus posted:

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has a button for just that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

I don't think that would work when you have the wrist straps on. And playing without the straps is a very bad idea as gifs can demonstrate.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has a button for just that.

With that and the recent edition of the Single Action Army, you can now be these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IctEeznh328

but more importantly, I'm this person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iAvv5g2PO8&t=102s

"there's nothing like the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet into a well greased chamber"

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 28, 2017

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

edit: I don't really enjoy the X series games, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this, X Rebirth VR edition is up on Oculus Home early access
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1001689043272976/

These guys sometimes have accidentally stumbled into some fun mechanics in some of the X-series games (they've definitely made no deliberate attempt to make fun & playable space games) but holy hell Rebirth sucked so bad. Maybe it'd be better in VR, not gonna find out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FormatAmerica posted:

These guys sometimes have accidentally stumbled into some fun mechanics in some of the X-series games (they've definitely made no deliberate attempt to make fun & playable space games) but holy hell Rebirth sucked so bad. Maybe it'd be better in VR, not gonna find out.

I will take the plunge as soon as the cable for my HOTAS shows up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just got my rift + touch set up. This is pretty drat cool. Bigscreen is awesome, and so is Echo Arena. I'm having to play in short bursts because I can feel the nausea coming on after a while. Hopefully that goes away and I can build up a bit of VR tolerance.

Is there a way to mute people in Echo Arena? Is there an easy way to mute yourself in different games?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Just got my rift + touch set up. This is pretty drat cool. Bigscreen is awesome, and so is Echo Arena. I'm having to play in short bursts because I can feel the nausea coming on after a while. Hopefully that goes away and I can build up a bit of VR tolerance.

Is there a way to mute people in Echo Arena? Is there an easy way to mute yourself in different games?

Open up your wrist computer, scroll to the person you want to mute (it's a little buggy, you might need to let it float in the air), they press the little button on the right side next to their name, then click the speaker.

It only works for that instance, so you'll need to do it again if you run into then in another game or lobby.

You can mute yourself or everyone from that same menu, but click on yourself

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You can also universally mute yourself by turning the rift mic off in settings > devices > rift.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

My Touch shipment from Amazon just got delayed from "arrives today" to "we need more time to give you an estimate." :negative:

To help myself feel better about this extremely first world problem I went ahead and bought Thumper and woah nelly that's quite the experience, haha.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Poetic Justice posted:

Also, regarding Altspace, it looks like they were hit with a patent troll :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6q4idg/alt_space_patent_infringement_lawsuit/

This is dumb. It sounds like this would effective shut down every social VR experience period.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tom Guycot posted:

This is dumb. It sounds like this would effective shut down every social VR experience period.

Welcome to the world of patent trolls. Looks like the patent involves hanging out in VR while watching a video, so Bigscreen could be taken down next. Speaking of which, how do they make money?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

Welcome to the world of patent trolls. Looks like the patent involves hanging out in VR while watching a video, so Bigscreen could be taken down next. Speaking of which, how do they make money?

They mentioned with this last update their plan for the future is to basically sell hats. Its going to be a cosmetics based income I guess so... lol we'll see how that goes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: n/m

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
To the people not having fun in Superhot, try playing it like tony hawk instead of COD? Watch an action movie beforehand?

For example I was just thinking the boss in Robo Recall was finally getting boring and then instead of ~optimally~ grabbing each rocket and pointing it back at him, I jumped in the air to grab a rocket as it passed by me and spun around midair 360 degrees slinging it around and back at him before landing and realized nope, VR still rules, it's Videogames that suck

Stick100 posted:

Having the wireless receiver + Xbone controller has been great for me. I'm currently playing Pyre on monitor using my Rift Xbone Controller + Wireless receiver. I used to have a Chinese knock off 360 wireless receiver, but it was a bit finicky to connect, just being able to press the button and connect the controller in less than 3 seconds every time is pretty awesome. After the Rift sale is over the price is going back from $399 to $499 and they are losing the Xbone controller and receiver (worth about $80)

Woah woah woah $80?? I would love to sell my Xbone controller/receiver for more than $40, drat, somebody buy it already :(

kaffo posted:

Thanks for the replies ladies

Maybe I was thinking too much into it?

I think you make a good point. I suppose the way I was thinking about it is: while you are doing the action part of the game, you should be feeling awesome. When you are at the shop buying ammo or having a cutscene, that's your downtime.

I also suppose another problem is we have a lot of wave based shooters right now, where the entire game is the action... And a menu screen.

Regardless, I think my game is pretty fun so far, and I think I'll have the bad rear end factor nailed down.

Also I need to try Robo Recall and Superhot endless, they both sound super fun!

What's your game like?

Reminder to everyone to check out the locomotion mod for Robo Recall, it has a superhot setting which is pretty sweet. And the glock/sawed off mods. And the trump mod.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

Woah woah woah $80?? I would love to sell my Xbone controller/receiver for more than $40, drat, somebody buy it already :(

It's more like 60. The controller costs 40 and the receiver is about 20.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alright. So. My sensors have stopped running in USB 3.0. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm running a 2600k on an ASUS P8P67 Evo. It has 3 full-size PCI-E slots. The top slot is populated by a GTX 1070. This slot runs at 16x, unless the middle slot is populated. According to documentation, that would put both slots into 8x/8x. The middle slot is not populated. The bottom slot is populated by a Startech 4x USB 3.0 expansion card, which has four USB controllers, one for each port. This bottom slot is normally unconnected, but according to documentation, when populated, disables some SATA ports and the front USB 3.0 ports to provide 4x lanes.

The last time I had my sensor working in 3.0, I had a 1070 in the top slot, 760 in the middle slot (for ports for my monitors), and the Startech card in the bottom slot. The sensor was plugged into the Startech card.

Right now, I have a 1070 in the top slot, nothing in the middle slot, and the Startech card in the bottom slot. My pair of sensors are plugged into the Startech card. At this exact moment, they are plugged in with CableMatters 5M active 3.0 extension cables. In this configuration, they run in 3.0 at the start, then fall into 2.0 quickly. When I plug them in directly, they also start at 3.0, and quickly fall into 2.0.

Any ideas what's wrong? Should I try plugging the expansion card into the middle slot and deal with only getting 8x lanes to my GPU?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

I already have some driving games and elite

You'll like it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Per the Echo Arena discord, skill based matchmaking is going to be fixed in a patch slated for tomorrow morning. If you were holding off until it was fixed this weekend should be a great time to play

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

Alright. So. My sensors have stopped running in USB 3.0. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm running a 2600k on an ASUS P8P67 Evo. It has 3 full-size PCI-E slots. The top slot is populated by a GTX 1070. This slot runs at 16x, unless the middle slot is populated. According to documentation, that would put both slots into 8x/8x. The middle slot is not populated. The bottom slot is populated by a Startech 4x USB 3.0 expansion card, which has four USB controllers, one for each port. This bottom slot is normally unconnected, but according to documentation, when populated, disables some SATA ports and the front USB 3.0 ports to provide 4x lanes.

The last time I had my sensor working in 3.0, I had a 1070 in the top slot, 760 in the middle slot (for ports for my monitors), and the Startech card in the bottom slot. The sensor was plugged into the Startech card.

Right now, I have a 1070 in the top slot, nothing in the middle slot, and the Startech card in the bottom slot. My pair of sensors are plugged into the Startech card. At this exact moment, they are plugged in with CableMatters 5M active 3.0 extension cables. In this configuration, they run in 3.0 at the start, then fall into 2.0 quickly. When I plug them in directly, they also start at 3.0, and quickly fall into 2.0.

Any ideas what's wrong? Should I try plugging the expansion card into the middle slot and deal with only getting 8x lanes to my GPU?

Check to see if you are on the latest firmware for that card. It sounds a lot like what I saw until I updated.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

Check to see if you are on the latest firmware for that card. It sounds a lot like what I saw until I updated.

Is there a utility for that?

e: Device Manager reports 2026 as the firmware version. The latest firmware appears to be named K202609.mem, and was last modified back in like 2013.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 29, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Little bit annoyed that the completely game-breaking "Game server failed ten seconds into every lobby you join since day 3 of the open beta" bug is not listed under the 'known issues' on the latest patch, when the mod on Discord told me that they had a bunch of people working on fixing it. I guess I got the game for for free, so there's that. The tutorial (+lone echo) is fun.

I inch closer every day to buying a subpac. Is anyone going to talk me out of it? Because I think this is your last chance.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

mellowjournalism posted:

What's your game like?

It's a sci-fi, open world, PvE game where the players control vehicles, kinda like crossout, world of tanks/war thunder. I'm trying to get that EVE huge scale war feeling, but against computer controlled stuff. It's got flat screen and VR support, and it's getting pretty close to user testing. I'll probably post in here asking for help when I get there!
Thanks for the interest!

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Are there any special rules for storing the Oculus? I seem to remember reading something about making sure the sun doesn't hit the lense. Am I making this up?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oculus support just says don't put it in direct sunlight and keep it away from obvious hazards (sharp objects, pets, your radiator).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, you don't want sunlight hitting the lenses because it could damage the screens. As long as you're keeping it away from direct sunlight in general you're probably fine. Some people buy/make stands, I just put mine on a shelf near my PC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also be careful of reflections. One person put their rift on their desk and sunlight bounced off the desk, into the rift and burned the screen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keep it in a paper bag to hide your shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That hobo keeps putting that bag up to his face like we don't know he's looking at 3d anime titties.