Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Agreed. Qc7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Hmm. Yeah, Qc7 seems like the best move here.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Qc7 wins the vote! Update will be a few hours late today.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'm almost positive White's going to take our right knight. Why? Because if they don't, then we can go Kxd4 and threaten their queen and force a knight for bishop trade. Sadly, White's probably too smart to go Qd1 letting us go Kxb4 and still forcing their queen to flee from our rook in this hypothetical situation.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
No. White's not stupid enough to go for our knight. Not yet.

It's pretty obvious that Qxf6 leads to gxf6, and Qxc6 gets followed up with bxc6 (and best-case for us, 12. Bxc6 Qxc6). I think the next move's gonna be Bg5.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I think he was referring to using their bishop to take the knight. not the queen.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Snorb posted:

No. White's not stupid enough to go for our knight. Not yet.

It's pretty obvious that Qxf6 leads to gxf6, and Qxc6 gets followed up with bxc6 (and best-case for us, 12. Bxc6 Qxc6). I think the next move's gonna be Bg5.

I would be expecting the rook at this point, to shore up d corridor. They need it also because we just threatened a piece where if we take it, it's mate unless the king can move centerwards.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If they move anything on the right side our next move has to be Bishop F6. If they don't notice whats up, we mate them. If they do, we make somewhat beneficial trades or we force them to get their rook out and can nestle a bishop into their backline. All in all, it could be a decisive move.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Rxd4 forces them to either exchange rook for bishop (giving us the knight forking their queen & remaining bishop), or it gives us a rook in the middle that's in position to defend the set up for Ng4-Qxa2# if they misplay it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm ok with RxD4 but still prefer bishop D6. Not sure how I thought F was D.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
We should probably wait until they move before we start speculating on our next move. If they move out the rook on c1, for example, then setting up an Qh2 attack may win a rook (depending on what else they do), but it won't win the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'd rather setup a Bh2 attack since the Queen is infinitely more useful a blade while it remains sheathed, but I agree that speculation is of limited use until we have their move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Guess there went that plan. D file attacks lost, as well as our potential mate.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Oh, I have an evil idea. I suggest Kb4 which will put our unpinned knight in a good position to start seriously loving with White's back row. Depending on how White moves we could trade for their bishop on black, capture some pawns, and no matter what we'd generally be able to raise hell. That sound good to you guys?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That's Nb4 right? K means king. I don't like the move because it does little of substance itself, but it could weaken the enemy position by forcing them to work around it. I hope we find a better move, but I don't see any...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Dr. Snark posted:

Oh, I have an evil idea. I suggest Kb4 which will put our unpinned knight in a good position to start seriously loving with White's back row. Depending on how White moves we could trade for their bishop on black, capture some pawns, and no matter what we'd generally be able to raise hell. That sound good to you guys?

I like it! Threatening Kc2 for the rook/bishop fork. What are the counters? What are the drawbacks?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I suppose they can move the Queen back to e2 to stop our Knight going too crazy, but I do like Kb4. We can also move the Bishop to b4 to limit their movement back there. We can also go with Pa6 to get that Bishop to back off. I wish we could take advantage of that Bishop only being able to really move back to a4.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
I'd rather continue with our kingside attack, tbh, if only to contain their queen and even drive their king back towards the d file and our rook. h5 was what was proposed to protect the g4 knight, yes?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 29, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's go with Bb4.

Also, to everyone suggesting Kb4: The king can't move that far. You're thinking of Nb4.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1

Yup. Exactly as I expected.

I'm going away for the weekend so can't contribute much in five minutes, but we're not set up to bust through the center just yet, and our move must be one that develops our offense.

Putting our knight out there to pressure is a thing, but we should only do that one we've a concrete plan.

My suggestion is to threaten the weak side of white for now and make like getting the second rook out soon is our priority. Which it is.

Either h5, or think about an offensive strategy involving stacking our rooks (rooks on 7 and 8 on d corridor for instance). That plus e6 makes us able to bust through the center, so long as the last white rook is still in captivity.

Nonono, white is planning poo poo.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 29, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On second though - changing to e5 to avoid white breaking through, per Fish's suggestion.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 29, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Wait, no! White is poised to break through on d if we don't play this right. We need to loving get rid of that pawn on d4 NOW, and we don't have enough supporting poo poo to do it. We have to go e5 and loving hope white bites, because if white goes d5 we are in serious trouble. Thing is, they still need Nc3, which makes us able to turn the tables still.

loving e5 and let's go. We either exchange rooks, which at this point hurts white more, and we force them to move the queen, or we kick it off from a stronger position.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Wait, no! White is poised to break through on d if we don't play this right. We need to loving get rid of that pawn on d4 NOW, and we don't have enough supporting poo poo to do it. We have to go e5 and loving hope white bites, because if white goes d5 we are in serious trouble. Thing is, they still need Nc3, which makes us able to turn the tables still.

loving e5 and let's go. We either exchange rooks, which at this point hurts white more, and we force them to move the queen, or we kick it off from a stronger position.

Could you clarify what the threat of white playing 12. d5 is? Seems like that would allow us to play 12. ... Ne5 and push their queen around and/or take their rook with our own.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pawn E5, lets do this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
E5, but I don't think they'll bite.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

Could you clarify what the threat of white playing 12. d5 is? Seems like that would allow us to play 12. ... Ne5 and push their queen around and/or take their rook with our own.

It's not the treat right now, but when they go Nc3, release the rook and threaten d5.

I think we have to prepare for white to push through that corridor, I think we may have to think prevention, and I think we have to force something before white is done preparing. We can bone them by greasing that pawn though, and if we tower trade, we have a shot at killing their queen. Anyway, we can save h5 for now, we will need that option later.

I think we need to pile the pressure on before white builds up too much.

Sorry, phoneposting. If you have a better plan, please post.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

E5. Let's go.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ah, I see. And you know, I liked this move earlier. Changing vote to e5.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I was going to ask about e5 so I guess I'll just vote for it instead.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

e5 seems like a good move that leaves us with plenty of options. Gogo!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

e5.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Changing my vote! e5 death or glory!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

e5 wins the vote! Update will be a bit late again unfortunately.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's like White's remaining knight is resting in a stable formed by the two rooks :3:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We must sneak into that stable, remove its head, then place it at the foot of the King's bed.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...xc6?

I mean, are they sacrificing a bishop to tempt us into going for that move, meaning they open up D corridor with xe5, tempting us to go for Rxd1, meaning they'll go Qxd1?

After they go xe5, we can go Qxe5. Sure they'll go Rxd8, but we can then kill it with the King. It could be a fine trade, I guess?

• Locked thread