Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So what is the maximum LY jump distance right now? what ship does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

TipsyMcStagger posted:

People get up to 50 with stripped ASPX's and engineered FSD drives. I think 35 is decent on an ASPX for engineered but carrying a typical load out (the 45-50 range requires a LOT of engineer roll/grinding and lots of compromise on components). You can also use materials to juice one particular jump to like 200 LY.

The other thing is the neutron stars...if you fly toward them and then up into the purple tail (in supercruise still), it'll supercharge your FSD and you can jump way farther...if you link jumps between neutron stars, you can make the 1000+ly trips much faster.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

This isn't really for the money, just for kicks so I'm not really going to bother grinding exploration stuff out. My shield is already 3D but I forgot to update shipyard so I'm good there. Didn't think of 1+G planets so I'll revise my thruster and pd, is there a guideline for that or should I just leave as is and stay away from high gravity planets. I've already got the lightest power I can get away without dealing with annoying heat build up. I also have some engineer things on my FSD and Thrusters (just rank 2).

I was bringing it along for exploration stuff rather than the actual passenger mission. The passenger missions out that far seem to be very forgiving time wise so I figured I'd take the scenic route and scan some stuff while I was out there.

Oh yeah totally, I meant you don't need one for the Quince grind. You'll probably make more money with ADS + DSS than you get from the actual passenger mission to wherever it is you're going.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

My DBX does 55ly with a 32t fuel tank and 58 with a 16t one. Max is about 60.2. I think an Anaconda with the literal best possible FSD roll can get close to 60 too.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 27, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Sultan Tarquin posted:

My DBX does 55ly with a 32t fuel tank and 58 with a 16t one. Max is about 60.2. I think an Anaconda with the literal best possible FSD roll can get close to 60 too.

Can you use non-veteran terms, Not sure what the DBX is.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TipsyMcStagger posted:

DBX = Diamondback Explorer

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Diamondback Explorer. Technically it has a little better jump range than the Asp Explorer, but a lot of people prefer the Asp because it has more versatility in internal compartment space. It can also fit a better fuel scoop, making scooping faster. With a really good engineered frameshift drive, you can expect between 55-65 lightyears per jump for either one.

The king of jumping is the Anaconda. Heavily engineered (and not practical at all), it can get over 70 lightyears in one jump.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My Anaconda actually fit with gear for exploring and landing and stuff:

FSD Roll:

Sensor Roll:

The stock sensor on the Anaconda is so heavy that lightweight makes a real difference to jump range.

I forget what the max jump with a boost is, probably like 280 or something.

TomR fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 27, 2017

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

TomR posted:

I forget what the max jump with a boost is, probably like 280 or something.

I think 289.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Diamondback Explorer. Technically it has a little better jump range than the Asp Explorer, but a lot of people prefer the Asp because it has more versatility in internal compartment space. It can also fit a better fuel scoop, making scooping faster. With a really good engineered frameshift drive, you can expect between 55-65 lightyears per jump for either one.

The king of jumping is the Anaconda. Heavily engineered (and not practical at all), it can get over 70 lightyears in one jump.

I do love my DBX for how cold it runs but the size 4 fuel scoop is what kills it. Even if it can jump further than the AspX you still lose that time in scooping for fuel.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I do love my DBX for how cold it runs but the size 4 fuel scoop is what kills it. Even if it can jump further than the AspX you still lose that time in scooping for fuel.

I don't find the fuel scoop and issue. I usually loop round the star as close as I can as I'm heading for the next jump, and you can usually max out the scoop rate without even hitting 70% heat and mostly fill the tank before you can even jump.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

The fuel scoop size matters quite a bit to me, to the point where I would bet an Asp Explorer would beat a Diamondback Explorer in a 2,000 LY Race.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The idea behind range on an endurance explorer like the DBX isn't saving time, it's reaching previously unreachable places. The DBX has far more endurance versatility than either the AspX or the Anaconda. If you fully strip it down (like people do for the max-range condas), the DBX will go farther than any other ship.

Max Range DBX
Max Range Conda

Asimov posted:

The fuel scoop size matters quite a bit to me, to the point where I would bet an Asp Explorer would beat a Diamondback Explorer in a 2,000 LY Race.

Yes, for Buckyball runs you want 7A fuel scoop. Even the difference between the Asp and DBX will be a couple of extra hours fuel scooping on a Colonia/Sag A* run.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Dbx also looks like a newbie affordable explorer

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The idea behind range on an endurance explorer like the DBX isn't saving time, it's reaching previously unreachable places. The DBX has far more endurance versatility than either the AspX or the Anaconda. If you fully strip it down (like people do for the max-range condas), the DBX will go farther than any other ship.

Max Range DBX
Max Range Conda

Yes, for Buckyball runs you want 7A fuel scoop. Even the difference between the Asp and DBX will be a couple of extra hours fuel scooping on a Colonia/Sag A* run.
Nah, the Conda is still the king of long range. TomR has pictures on this page of one that capped out at 66LY, even.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Mercurius posted:

Nah, the Conda is still the king of long range. TomR has pictures on this page of one that capped out at 66LY, even.

I'd be curious to know wether that build still exists after the rollback of some exploits.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Einbauschrank posted:

I'd be curious to know wether that build still exists after the rollback of some exploits.

I get what you're saying here but the people doing the exploiting typically weren't explorers.

It's also not hard to get 60-ish.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I would have no hard feelings. I've done a hundred rolls in several FSDs over the time , I have a 60ly Conda and a 55ly DBX as well as a 50ly Asp. Had I known the exploit I'd used it instead of wasting dozens of hours of my life.
I still am grinding to one day get a 50+% on the optimal mass *and* an increase in max. fuel.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Can you combine neutron boost with materials boost

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 28, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Can you combine neurton boost with materials boost

Unfortunately not.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Einbauschrank posted:

I didn't do any exploits. I just got lucky rolls.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Einbauschrank posted:

I would have no hard feelings. I've done a hundred rolls in several FSDs over the time , I have a 60ly Conda and a 55ly DBX as well as a 50ly Asp. Had I known the exploit I'd used it instead of wasting dozens of hours of my life.
I still am grinding to one day get a 50+% on the optimal mass *and* an increase in max. fuel.

I have one of those on a class 5 fsd, so I swap it between my DBX, Vulture, FDL, etc.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I have one of those on a class 5 fsd, so I swap it between my DBX, Vulture, FDL, etc.

Didn't want to sound like an rear end, sorry! I am simply curious how often you have to roll. Also I found out the FSD on my DBX has 54.7% optimum mass, so I can't complain ... though I still need the combination of that roll and larger fuel per jump capacity!

I remember there was a time when pinning an unmodified module you'd get an "extreme" roll with a near max. bonus and malus. This seems to have gone. Can anyone confirm, whether this is true or an urban legend?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Einbauschrank posted:

Didn't want to sound like an rear end, sorry! I am simply curious how often you have to roll. Also I found out the FSD on my DBX has 54.7% optimum mass, so I can't complain ... though I still need the combination of that roll and larger fuel per jump capacity!

I remember there was a time when pinning an unmodified module you'd get an "extreme" roll with a near max. bonus and malus. This seems to have gone. Can anyone confirm, whether this is true or an urban legend?

Haha, I rolled maybe two dozen times between three class 5 FSDs. I have that one awesome roll of 52% and extra fuel, and two that are close. I stopped caring so much about that extra LY it might give me, because I don't often go on long trips in the Vulture or FDL.

I think that's an urban legend, and it probably because the display of a modified module being re-rolled is a bit obtuse.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Frontier did sort of go on record once saying that the rolls are tilted so that the positives and negatives are correlated together in magnitude. That's also been my consistent experience. Really good rolls on positive effects seems to almost always be paired with really bad rolls on negative effects, or vice versa depending on how you look at it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

timn posted:

Frontier did sort of go on record once saying that the rolls are tilted so that the positives and negatives are correlated together in magnitude. That's also been my consistent experience. Really good rolls on positive effects seems to almost always be paired with really bad rolls on negative effects, or vice versa depending on how you look at it.

Yeah I can always tell whether a roll will be good or not if the negatives roll at the worst end of the scale.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

TomR posted:

I didn't do any exploits. I just got lucky rolls.

Can you explain rolls to me? Is that just getting lucky with engineering?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

xxEightxx posted:

Can you explain rolls to me? Is that just getting lucky with engineering?

Yeah. Engineering is a slot-machine minigame: you feed the slot machine materials, and it spins the wheels and delivers up and RNG mod.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Finally found an unknown probe!
Pleiades Sector RO-Q b5-0 Planet 7.
Look for Degraded Emissions Threat 2

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So got my rift in the mail... found it to be a pain in the rear end to set up. Is this sensor the reason why the HTC vive is preferred? I play on my couch in a big open room, this sensor is now sitting on the coffee table and I couldn't get it to work farther out.

Had to redownload Elite dangerous on the rift oculus home "steam" to get it to set up.

Played 4 hours of Elite afterwards, I got to say... VR Elite dangerous might be the coolest video game experience I've had.. When that autodock is dropping you straight down it's disorientation heaven.

Biggest complaint:
Galaxy map turns HORRIBLE in VR... It's so bad to navigate.
Text is not clear unless you lean into it. Not a headset focus problem. I think just the limitations of the game engine for display? not sure why the text is so bad.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Biggest complaint:
Text is not clear unless you lean into it. Not a headset focus problem. I think just the limitations of the game engine for display? not sure why the text is so bad.

Yeah, if I'm going to do a VR session I sort out my navigation with bookmarks before hand, or just do point to point missions.

For text, there's something you can do with super-sampling I think to make it better, but that puts more of a strain on the PC.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Had to redownload Elite dangerous on the rift oculus home "steam" to get it to set up.

You didn't need to do that. All you do is go into the graphics settings and choose one of the HMD settings.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So got my rift in the mail... found it to be a pain in the rear end to set up. Is this sensor the reason why the HTC vive is preferred? I play on my couch in a big open room, this sensor is now sitting on the coffee table and I couldn't get it to work farther out.

Played 4 hours of Elite afterwards, I got to say... VR Elite dangerous might be the coolest video game experience I've had.. When that autodock is dropping you straight down it's disorientation heaven.

Biggest complaint:

You need to supersample to get clearer text; any significant amount requires beastly GPU power however.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh fun. Land at the starmap place only to have the game disconnect as I unloaded the artefacts, loosing them on the reconnect.

Hopefully Frontier support are feeling kind to reset them back into my hold. :/

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Just did that 200 landmines mission. The Engineer lives in a place that has landmines as illegal cargo, but it's an anarchy system so I don't even know if I felt like a badass smuggling them in or what. :confused:

"You can never have enough landmines!"

Said one single person in the entire god drat universe.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are black box retrieval missions bugged? Last 2 I did, the black box never appeared in my inventory after cargo scooping it up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Just did that 200 landmines mission. The Engineer lives in a place that has landmines as illegal cargo, but it's an anarchy system so I don't even know if I felt like a badass smuggling them in or what. :confused:

"You can never have enough landmines!"

Said one single person in the entire god drat universe.

I almost got blown up delivering 100t of gold to lei chung last night. I got interdicted between the station and the planet and got dropped out of super cruise onto the surface of the planet. When I eventually got to the base I was hostile for some reason and lost 60% of my hull in 1 second before I got out of range :confused:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Engineering rolls are random. The effects in a roll are bound by rules, but the roll it's self is a one off. I actually got one of my best rolls first try, and burned all the rest of my mats trying to get a little better but nothing came up. It's like rolling dice. You could get 100 1 rolls before you got a 6, or you could get a 6 first try.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
If elite only had some story for players to interact with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZfTHyu5wI&t=672s

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Why did I think that 10 painite was a grind. Bill Turner wants loving 50 Bromellite :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Really wishing we could sell/buy engineered modules.

• Locked thread