Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Is there such a thing as a pair of riding jeans that is abrasion resistant, breathes as well as regular jeans, and minimizes the power rangers look while also not looking like dad jeans? I have a good pair of dedicated summer riding pants, but I'm trying to find something I don't have to change out of at the office or if I'm heading out to run errands or whatever.

I really like my Bull-it SR6es but they are too hot over 80F.

Well they're never going to breathe quite as well as regular jeans because for fairly obvious reasons they have to be thicker and incorporate a lot of kevlar, which doesn't breathe worth poo poo. Also they're always going to look a bit silly off-bike, for much the same reason. The Dainese ones probably look about as close to regular human jeans as you're going to get with any decent protection though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Got my Arai today, took it out of the box and immediately dropped it while trying to remove the little silicone lube that came attached to the strap. The air vent broke, and a little piece of black plastic went flying. Its a bit difficult to get on, but once its on its not bad. Hopefully it holds up better in an actual crash.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

rdb posted:

Got my Arai today, took it out of the box and immediately dropped it while trying to remove the little silicone lube that came attached to the strap. The air vent broke, and a little piece of black plastic went flying. Its a bit difficult to get on, but once its on its not bad. Hopefully it holds up better in an actual crash.

Step on the box a couple times, pack it back up, and return it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I'd be lying if I said that didn't cross my mind.

Thankfully Arai sells replacement parts. It was a $25 mistake

https://www.araiamericas.com/products/qvf-duct-set-diamond-white?selected_variant=7256

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Cool.

I'm looking at this stuff going "this is $3-400 cheaper than anything I can find elsewhere even with $150 shipping fee, in stock in my size. This must be bullshit."

I'll have to try them out.

Results are in:

Got exactly what I asked for at an unbeatable price. $150 for shipping was pretty steep IMO, but hey that's on me for living on the other side of the planet, and I still saved a huge amount of money and it got here really quick. I'm going to be placing an order for some other gear with them pretty soon.

tl;dr Motardinn.com = good.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Ordered myself some Axial pros, really looking forward to having them, even more so as my Falcos developed a hole this weekend.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Bought a matte black Shoei RF1200 with the transition visor, hopefully it's as good as people have been telling me

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They are good and I wish they fit my goddamned head

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Razzled posted:

Bought a matte black Shoei RF1200 with the transition visor, hopefully it's as good as people have been telling me
I like mine, and the transition visor is awesome.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I couldn't justify the transition visor. I just have a dark one I use all the time and a clear one for when I'm riding after dark. they swap so easily I don't see it as a big deal.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Looking for a recommendation on some every day gloves. I live and ride in Houston and these would be for all but track use. I like partial / mid cuff rather than full gauntlets. I've been using some RevIt gloves for like 3.5 years now that I'm pretty sure were originally intended as trail riding gloves. Super breathable.

Any recommendations?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Looking for a recommendation on some every day gloves. I live and ride in Houston and these would be for all but track use. I like partial / mid cuff rather than full gauntlets. I've been using some RevIt gloves for like 3.5 years now that I'm pretty sure were originally intended as trail riding gloves. Super breathable.

Any recommendations?

Revit cayenne

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Knox Orsa is a brilliant glove imo, I haven't tried the Mk2 version that's now available but it looks to fix the minor gripes I had with the stitching pattern of the Mk1.

Boa closures are boss and more things should use them.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I've wrecked in a set of these and they held up. No split seams and nothing transferred through[I also live in Dallas, so similar riding conditions):

Taichi Raptor Mesh

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I have a pair of A* smx-1 that are great for warm/hot weather and survived a 30mph lowside.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Thanks guys! Did some research, I'm gonna flag the textile knox orsas and give them a try when revzilla gets more in stock.

theKGEntleman
Sep 17, 2004
song2
I'm having one helluva time locating a transition face shield for the Bell Race Star, Bell Pro Star and Bell Star 2016 helmets. Anyone have an idea where I can grab one?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

theKGEntleman posted:

I'm having one helluva time locating a transition face shield for the Bell Race Star, Bell Pro Star and Bell Star 2016 helmets. Anyone have an idea where I can grab one?

Our lord and savior, revzilla!
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-star-vortex-transistions-photochromatic-face-shield

Edit: you're not talking about the new ones, right? THey might not make them just yet.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 24, 2017

theKGEntleman
Sep 17, 2004
song2

Z3n posted:

Our lord and savior, revzilla!
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-star-vortex-transistions-photochromatic-face-shield

Edit: you're not talking about the new ones, right? THey might not make them just yet.

I am talking about the new ones. :arghfist: Note: This face shield does not fit the Bell Star Helmets made 2016 and following.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Anyone else had mics die on sena sets? Had the second mic between 2 users die today. 2 years of usage, both riders have done about 20k miles each. In experience from first death we bring spares on long trips.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

theKGEntleman posted:

I am talking about the new ones. :arghfist: Note: This face shield does not fit the Bell Star Helmets made 2016 and following.

Ahh, my bad! Yeah, they seem to be lagging on development there, I'm still waiting for the custom fit program on the new race stars.

No issues with SENA mice dying here, although ours are starting to get a bit worse for the wear after 4 years and ~80-100k miles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Anyone else had mics die on sena sets? Had the second mic between 2 users die today. 2 years of usage, both riders have done about 20k miles each. In experience from first death we bring spares on long trips.

The cable failed on mine, but I put that down to me putting a bit more tension on it when I was tidying up the cable. It failed at the point where it enters the mic itself, making repairing it a right pain.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there a really basic bluetooth earpiece/mic you can get and cram into whatever random helmet? I'm looking and helmets with any kind of bluetooth are $hundreds when a cheapo helmet on ebay is $50 and a functional bluetooth earpiece you can talk on the phone with is $16. All the motorbike-oriented stuff seems to have intercom poo poo I don't need.

This is for what amounts to a costume, so "the cheapest full face helmet + bluetooth I can get" is the goal.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Javid posted:

Is there a really basic bluetooth earpiece/mic you can get and cram into whatever random helmet? I'm looking and helmets with any kind of bluetooth are $hundreds when a cheapo helmet on ebay is $50 and a functional bluetooth earpiece you can talk on the phone with is $16. All the motorbike-oriented stuff seems to have intercom poo poo I don't need.

This is for what amounts to a costume, so "the cheapest full face helmet + bluetooth I can get" is the goal.

The short answer is no. If you don't plan on actually using it while riding, buy the cheap, lovely helmet for $50 and some BT earbuds you can shove into said helmet. The cheapest, decent, BT unit you'll find , that;s desgined for a helmet, is a closeout cardo QZ for ~$80. Otherwise just but one of those crappy Blinc systems off ebay.

E: Regarding Sena mics- mine died after ~2.5 years of commuting.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Javid posted:

Got one of these, had it for two years and they're fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201598605286

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Can you patch motorcycle jeans? Somehow made a small tear in my Dainese jeans this morning when I put them on. It's small rip near the crotch.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

If a pair of jeans ripped like that from putting them on in the morning I wouldn't trust them from keeping my dick from getting asphalt poisoning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
oh look at this guy showing off

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

oh look at this guy showing off

If getting on your bike doesn't make you rock hard I feel bad for you

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Virgil Vox posted:

It does, I just then pass out and ruin a perfectly good helmet. :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Replacing my helmet now. The absolutely fantastic Icon Opacity was at the top of my list, but I ended up with the Great Pumpkin instead. I'm almost excited to crash again so I can buy the Opacity next time. Icon graphics are still knocking it out if the park.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-airmada-opacity-helmet

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-airmada-trick-or-street-helmet

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yet again I bemoan Icon helmets not fitting my head. :eng99: Their designs are incredible.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Yet again I bemoan Icon helmets not fitting my head. :eng99: Their designs are incredible.

What really bothers me is that no one else is even trying to touch their graphic game. I'd love to try something a little swankier, like Shoei, but they are all so bland I can't justify buying one.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I used to see people get their helmets airbrushed at the mall at well, airbrushing kiosks. Do people still do that?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yes, but then your helmet looks like you got it airbrushed at the mall.

Chichevache posted:

What really bothers me is that no one else is even trying to touch their graphic game. I'd love to try something a little swankier, like Shoei, but they are all so bland I can't justify buying one.

Shoei's graphics are better than Arai's, too. Icon's always kinda had a style over substance reputation, but the Japanese guys are way the hell off in the other direction, so far off that they're boring as hell

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

Yes, but then your helmet looks like you got it airbrushed at the mall.

Shoei's graphics are better than Arai's, too. Icon's always kinda had a style over substance reputation, but the Japanese guys are way the hell off in the other direction, so far off that they're boring as hell

I think the Airmada is a solid mid-range helmet. It's light and comfortable. I've crashed two now and felt great doing it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I think the Airmada is a solid mid-range helmet. It's light and comfortable. I've crashed two now and felt great doing it.

I'd wear the poo poo out of one if they fit my head, but so far all I've found that does is the long oval Arais

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Virgil Vox posted:

It mostly makes me numb because my bad seating position presses my junk up against the tank. :(

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Chichevache posted:

Airframe pro took the rest of the impact left over from my shoulder. It was a pretty good helmet.

My main problem with icon helmets is the visor lock is a pin and hole system that's loving impossible to open once you've got your visor closed.

Allot of their stuff feels like its never been given feedback from outside their circle. Ie the Merc hoodie I have from them has soft fabric on the underside of the cuffs, which coupled with no way to sinch the sleeve shut means it acts as a funnel for rain which soaks into the soft fabric. Leaving your sleeves soaking wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

Airframe pro took the rest of the impact left over from my shoulder. It was a pretty good helmet.

My main problem with icon helmets is the visor lock is a pin and hole system that's loving impossible to open once you've got your visor closed.

Allot of their stuff feels like its never been given feedback from outside their circle. Ie the Merc hoodie I have from them has soft fabric on the underside of the cuffs, which coupled with no way to sinch the sleeve shut means it acts as a funnel for rain which soaks into the soft fabric. Leaving your sleeves soaking wet.

I've never purchased anything but their helmets. The gloves I have looked at were all unsuitable for riding in any conditions.