Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kaubocks posted:

sometimes i wonder how people learned they had what quirk they have. like that one guy that can apparently curve bullets-- did he just grow up not thinking he had a quirk until he was a teenager and went to the firing range for fun and had his mind blown and world turned upside down? are they giving guns to kindergarteners?

does stains quirk work on himself? did he just get a nasty paper cut one day and went to suck his finger and found himself paralyzed on the ground?

also with the explanation of what stains quirk really is i appreciate how loving jacked that dude must be to be able to land blows on heroes more or less as a regular human dude until he can pull off his bullshit.

Kids have a general idea of what type of quirk they'll have since it's generally a variation or combination of their parents' quirks. Bullet guy probably has a quirk from the same type as Deku's mom, who has a low level attractive telekinesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

Kids have a general idea of what type of quirk they'll have since it's generally a variation or combination of their parents' quirks. Bullet guy probably has a quirk from the same type as Deku's mom, who has a low level attractive telekinesis.

Excuse you nothing about Deku's mom is low level attractive

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gyges posted:

That can't be how it always works though, as originally a lot of people had quirks born to parents with new quirks. Sometimes it jumps around or does something new. But usually that's the case.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Excuse you nothing about Deku's mom is low level attractive

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I thought it was implied you weren't allowed to use quirks in a job unless you had a hero license?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

I thought it was implied you weren't allowed to use quirks in a job unless you had a hero license?

not just implied, it's uraraka's whole motivation to become a hero

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This whole society is powerfully regulated, the very first scene is a dude getting busted for using his Quirk during commuter hours. It doesn't help that his quirk seemed to be Turn Big And Into A Monster but still. The whole premise of the spin-off manga is that a group of unliscened dudes in a vigilante group doing vigilante things. Shigaraki's main point at USJ was that registered Heroes are essentially state sponsored violence and deterrence to keep the peace.

Speaking of, Viz is going to start putting the spin off manga on their site, has anyone read it because I've heard LITERALLY nothing about it in my circles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't been keeping up with it, but the manga thread has. It's actually got some elements that tie into the main manga's current arc.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its not as good but if you absolutely need more mha its there

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CrazySalamander posted:

if enough money is on the line, a lobbyist can do anything

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I thought there was a difference between hero registration and quirk registration, though. Like, you can use your quirk in a professional or personal capacity so long as it's registered and it's not for vigilante hero work. Did I miss something?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Hey, you, star-head-guy! Stop having stars on your head, or you're under arrest!"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

PMush Perfect posted:

"Hey, you, star-head-guy! Stop having stars on your head, or you're under arrest!"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

if enough money is on the line, a lobbyist can do anything

That is a very US perceptive.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Brother Entropy posted:

not just implied, it's uraraka's whole motivation to become a hero

You have this backwards. Uraraka was going to give up on being a hero to use her insanely useful quirk working for her parents construction company, they refused to let her give up on a childhood dream for their sake.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Quirk registration is just something you do, like getting your your toeprints recorded when you're born IRL. This is so the government has some idea of what you can do on your record, they got loving middle schoolers running around with explodey hands, conjuring ice and fire outta their bodies and pulling rocket launchers outta their boobs, let's try and get some order to this fuckmess. After USJ, we learn that neither Shigaraki or Kurogiri are in any quirk databases, meaning they've spent their entire lives underground

Hero registration is what you need if you want to do the job of being superhero, actually get paid for it and not have the government come for your rear end for being a vigilante.

Ochako wants to be a hero so she can get rich and give money back to her parents, she could've just dropped out of high school and worked for her father lifting poo poo, but her parents want better things for her than that.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 27, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also their company went under

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You have this backwards. Uraraka was going to give up on being a hero to use her insanely useful quirk working for her parents construction company, they refused to let her give up on a childhood dream for their sake.

This is correct. She specifically tells Deku and Ida she wants to be a hero to make enough money to support her parents.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CrazySalamander posted:

You're allowed to use quirks in a profession provided you're licensed to do so; you don't have to be a hero to get a license to be Guy Who Breathes Fire To Grill Burgers. They mention that electric quirk havers are consistently in high demand for various jobs because of how useful that type of quirk is for general stuff.

The heavy restrictions are against running around using your quirk willy nilly in public, because everyone using superpowers at random in a city full of potentially millions of people would be dangerous at best.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
For people with quirks that would only do anything under specific circumstances, I imagine they'd be registered as an unknown quirk, since there's that toe joint thing that confirms whether someone has a quirk or not even if they haven't used it yet. That might actually be worse than just being quirkless. Knowing you have a power but having no idea what it is or how to actually activate it? That would be incredibly frustrating in addition to basically meaning you effectively have no quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moltrey posted:

Speaking of, Viz is going to start putting the spin off manga on their site, has anyone read it because I've heard LITERALLY nothing about it in my circles
It's a fun read but takes a bit for the characters to really show their true colors and become likable.

MC is a laid-back hero wannabe with a movement quirk that is pretty decent but not super OP who wears an All Might hoodie and picks up trash/gives directions/helps people across the street; and is basically only a vigilante at the start because if you have to be pedantic he's using his quirk without registration. Basically the nicest dude on earth and a huge dork.

He ends up the "disciple" of a middle-aged masked man who beats the poo poo out of street thugs while again, being unlicensed.

And his third "group" member is a middle-school girl who goes by "Pop Step" and does guerrilla street performances in costume and uses her super-jumping quirk because the man wants her to use the sidewalk like some kind of chump.

It takes place a vague amount of time before MHA (~2-4 years maybe) and dovetails into the manga's plot through connected characters, events, etc. There are some way more blatant comic references; middle-school thug wolverine and cyclops are recurring characters and the loving avengers show up at one point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Surprisingly Vigilantes has stuff that is kinda relevant to this arc. There was a whole chapter basically about Iida's brother and you learn more about him in it than in the series proper, and there's a couple of other sorta significant connections to the things happening in the show now as well. Even if its set years earlier.

There's only a few chapters of it so giving it a read after this arc is done probably isn't the worst idea.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fabricated posted:

There are some way more blatant comic references; middle-school thug wolverine and cyclops are recurring characters and the loving avengers show up at one point.
Also the wolverine is jotaro and the cyclops is josuke.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
I like Vigilantes even if some of it takes a few liberties.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Ochako wants to be a hero so she can get rich and give money back to her parents, she could've just dropped out of high school and worked for her father lifting poo poo, but her parents want better things for her than that.

Didn't deku originally jump to the conclusion that she was getting a hero license solely to lift poo poo though?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fabricated posted:

It takes place a vague amount of time before MHA (~2-4 years maybe) and dovetails into the manga's plot through connected characters, events, etc. There are some way more blatant comic references; middle-school thug wolverine and cyclops are recurring characters and the loving avengers show up at one point.

Jackard posted:

Also the wolverine is jotaro and the cyclops is josuke.

sold

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never thought I'd think that Endeavour was cool but here we are

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Sakurazuka posted:

Like, he's SO COOL.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He probably beats his wife.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Mordaedil posted:

He probably beats his wife.

I bet he looks like a total boss while doing it, though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

That's kind of the point though. He is a really lovely person but that doesn't stop him from being great at his job.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Elmon posted:

Didn't deku originally jump to the conclusion that she was getting a hero license solely to lift poo poo though?

No, he asked her why she was going for becoming a hero instead of using it to help her parents' construction company, which would presumably be a lo easier to get a license for.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
bloody hell that episode was intense

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Stain is a ridiculously cool villain

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Endeavour is a cool hero, not like that dorky All Might.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

watched the latest dub episode and maybe it's just that I'm used to the manga but full cowling sounds really awkward

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

watched the latest dub episode and maybe it's just that I'm used to the manga but full cowling sounds really awkward

And things like "Best Jeanist" don't? There's tons of Engrish in MHA you just gotta embrace it.

TEXAS SMASH!

Sakurazuka posted:

Said it before, say it again. All MHA characters are cool and good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

honestly no, the way they say best jeanist doesn't sound odd to me and that's his name in the manga so :shrug:

full cowling is the first thing that's thrown me off. I get why they did it but it sounds wrong. good dub tho

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cronodoculous posted:

Like, he's SO COOL.

He's the exact opposite of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Endeavor had some ridiculously cool scenes, and he honestly needed them. We've seen plenty of All Might in action. The #2 hero had to be someone approaching that level, and dispatching one Noumu instantly and nearly crippling another with that flame spear had to qualify. All Might in his prime was still a full tier above, but I'm glad we got to see the difference between him and the next strongest/everyone else.

I'm also really glad Endeavor couldn't just arbitrarily fly by shooting fire. Instead he just made the soles of his feet so hot he could run up walls by melting them on contact, which is a much more interesting solution to the question of how he gets around when a lot of these fights seem to go vertical.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 29, 2017

• Locked thread