Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It was an extremely non robust version of single payer that was probably easy to sabotoge after the fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Relin posted:

By Thursday, the time crunch was on. One Senator proposed an amendment that would basically create a national single-payer option, expanding Medicaid universally; the Senate immediately voted that down, 57-0.

nice
how long until centrist dems use this to justify not supporting single payer because a vote for it has already been tried

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

during the buildup to Iraq, people at least thought Iraq was a threat, if only because they actively deluded themselves into thinking so

this Russia sanctions poo poo is straight up "yeah let's gently caress with Putin to stick it to the prez" and it's ridiculous. the media loves it, though, and that's the real source of the stupidity

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what was the trick anyway, I don't think I caught what voting for the amendment would have allowed Mitch to do

distraction. wanted to divide resistance to the GOP health bill by offering a doomed amendment to draw the Dems into another factional struggle over single payer. even if every Dem voted for it, which wouldn't happen, it still wouldn't have the votes to pass

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
These people also think Russia would be easy to defeat as they think it has a political structure and society rotten all the way through with a reduced capability to defend themselves.

This is also what everyone else who pursued a war with Russia thought.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The thing I hate about the whole Russia thing was it was to be expected, but the unexpected thing was that America just hasn't bothered to care about preventing such a thing so it left itself wide open to Russia messing around with us. But noooo, we can't come off as weak due to our own fault because social media and technology are magical realms of ultimate power.

It's like living in a lions den and not maintaining the house and then mad at the lion when it finally damages your house that was in disrepair due to neglect.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
a USA vs russia war would mean the end of humanity, full stop

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

These people also think Russia would be easy to defeat as they think it has a political structure and society rotten all the way through with a reduced capability to defend themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjhktV-TfI

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

sounds good

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

True folk song of the Russian people.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

What's the scariest of all is the most eager for a war with Russia do not think it will go nuclear.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ALdl0gkaY

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

:discourse:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

excellent work.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Surly this time when we kick in the door the whole rotten structure will fall apart

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It was an extremely non robust version of single payer that was probably easy to sabotoge after the fact

It would also not be very fortunate to have the introduction of single payer overseen by a party that would implement it in the worst way possible, on purpose, just to make a point.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Conservatives may be loveless, humorless assholes but they sure know how to troll.

Meanwhile Dems are signing Nah Nah Nah.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no

its even stupider

was or is? :v:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bad person gets it before bad dems

https://twitter.com/jamyerson/status/891346169447710720

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G6J5VKwbBU

edit:

tom hooker owns:

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Jul 29, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The runup to the Iraq War, I have to say, was a more frightening zeitgeist since it affected most of the population. This spasm of hawkish retardation seems confined to the (discredited in the public's eyes, I believe) pundit class.

I was quite young in 2002 / 2003 but my family was staunchly antiwar so I was conscious of the prevailing mentality.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

so are we doomed yet

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

UHD posted:

so are we doomed yet

you've been doomed since birth

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
That it's not yet quite as bad is good

If anything remotely like 9/11 happens again both parties will be running rival Nuremberg rallies

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/891356474265542656

drat

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GalacticAcid posted:

The runup to the Iraq War, I have to say, was a more frightening zeitgeist since it affected most of the population. This spasm of hawkish retardation seems confined to the (discredited in the public's eyes, I believe) pundit class.

I was quite young in 2002 / 2003 but my family was staunchly antiwar so I was conscious of the prevailing mentality.

Honestly I'm more concerned about the current zeitgeist. The fear and anger is directed inwards. There's no rallying point and everyone can feel the whole thing fraying.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

It would also not be very fortunate to have the introduction of single payer overseen by a party that would implement it in the worst way possible, on purpose, just to make a point.

well the dems dont want to implement it in any form :shrug:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Honestly I'm more concerned about the current zeitgeist. The fear and anger is directed inwards. There's no rallying point and everyone can feel the whole thing fraying.

I think that is fair. It's very different. The dangers of national unity vs the dangers of divicisive rancor I suppose.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol what am I doing making earnest posts in the suck zone

let's bring back tankie Tim Kaine

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

GalacticAcid posted:

same with my nuclear family. I even knew it was a lie so I wasn't shocked. Like if a 12 year old kid can put two and two together in their underdeveloped brain and think its really loving dubious...

because it is! :sparkles:

Freedom Fries were a thing. I mean I get it was a dark trying time, but they exploited people's fear and turned it into jingoism because nobody had an answer at the time other than "it happened because our president is a dumb gently caress up" and they were able to easily deflect that and get his approvals up just for war. It is pretty insane if you just slow down to think, but its 2 l8 fer that kind of thing. That'll be up to the future historians to decide as they access their data cubes and find millions of shitposts like these going "Iraq was a huge mistake, engineered out of deceit" to confirm their sources.

Yer welcome by the way future historian :thumbsup:

As of now we might as well just collect rain water in our mouths figuring out what to do next. Maybe if we just default nobody would have to worry about money anymore or at least stop defining it as a social value. Car culture is death.

Regular fries and a chocolate shake please. I need that salt and sugar stat.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think historians will look at the 2000s as an era of ridiculous corruption and an impotent justice system considering no one was prosecuted for the Iraq War or the 2008 Financial Collapse.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
remember how the bush admin used to raise the terror level whenever they wanted to change a news story

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

I think that is fair. It's very different. The dangers of national unity vs the dangers of divicisive rancor I suppose.

I spent a long time on that tiny post because I didn't want to understate how bad the result of that zeitgeist was. For one, the current situation

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Concerned Citizen posted:

remember how the bush admin used to raise the terror level whenever they wanted to change a news story

Lol yeah didn't local news report on that poo poo daily?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

and then we kept a lot of the bullshit regressive republicans added just cause obama felt like it. oh, also didn't prosecute a single person for anything

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fits my needs posted:

Lol yeah didn't local news report on that poo poo daily?

fox news had it on their ticker

he literally raised it a few days before election day without any justification at all, just because he thought it'd win him a few more votes over kerry

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand alPaul posted:

I think historians will look at the 2000s as an era of ridiculous corruption and an impotent justice system considering no one was prosecuted for the Iraq War or the 2008 Financial Collapse.

I mean, that's the reality, but considering bourgeois liberal bias it'll be more like

where Obama was the Emperor God-King who had sworn to save humanity, blah blah blah (there are people on NeoGAF who literally believe this)

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haha I forgot about this.

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, that's the reality, but considering bourgeois liberal bias it'll be more like

where Obama was the Emperor God-King who had sworn to save humanity, blah blah blah (there are people on NeoGAF who literally believe this)

There was a recent historical survey of presidents and I was shocked at how high Obama placed and how many people griped he should have been higher.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

It's such a :reject: thing, but at least the CHUDs know which character to make hilariously cringy photoshops of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

HILLARY: What happen?

PODESTA: Someone set up us the hack. We get signal!

HILLARY: *SNAPS FINGERS AT HUMA* Blackberry turn on! It's you !!!

PUTIN: How are you Madam Secretary !!! All your emails are belong to me. You are on the way to destruction. Ha ha ha ha ...

forbidden dialectics has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Jul 29, 2017

• Locked thread