Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think one of the behind-the-scenes post-mortem articles said that Trank and Teller were both stoned for most of the production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wonder what the gently caress broke him so bad

I think it was moving from making a "low budget" movie like Chronicle (15 million) to a mega budget studio movie. The stress was too much.
It sounds mundane when you say it out loud but it's happened to lots of people before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He locked himself in his trailer for two weeks, smoked pot, and refused to come on-set.

The studio took away his trailer and rental house, then he set up a tent on set and refused to come out. They stopped production for two weeks and then a producer from Fox finished the movie.

Trank darted?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

The Question IRL posted:

I think it was moving from making a "low budget" movie like Chronicle (15 million) to a mega budget studio movie. The stress was too much.
It sounds mundane when you say it out loud but it's happened to lots of people before.

His meteoric rise gave him the bends

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
FF is admittedly hard to translate to film but it also has the distinct advantage of not being tied into the MCU so a director can go full on "this superhero thing/space inavasion is the first time it's ever happened." They're not bogged down by continuity or cross overs. Treating it as a standalone property makes the task easier I think.

Set the loving thing during the mid to late 60's, throw in some Viet Nam, space race, commies, nukes and hippie poo poo, scared conservatives and every-men on the streets, follow up on what The Incredibles and "Marvels" did so well for the sitcom/family drama aspects, and then go full Galactus, Silver Surfer, Mole Man Monster, Doom, Namor and Negative Zone. Do the "superheroes with no secret identities who are celebrities" thing.

Basically, just do Lee/Kirby/Marvel Essentials, embrace the full on crazy fun and don't gently caress it with it much but write better dialogue around it and pace it better. Then tackle, Franklin, the Skrulls and John Byrne's stuff for the sequels.

They're all really great characters, together as well as individually. They're written rather superficially and comically basic in the early runs so it's not exactly like adapting Shakespeare. loving Roger Corman's take on it is the best thing we've gotten on screen.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Guardians of the Galaxy proved you can do a fun, interesting and cool space adventure comic-based movie with what looks on paper to be a limited premise and characters. Don't think FF, especially under Fox's management, will ever get that chance. Especially since they are determined to have Dr. Doom play a major part no matter what and he's been a mess, not the badass megalomaniac we all know and would love to see.

This conversation made me look up a post-mortem article from a couple years ago in THR, production was even more of hilarious fiasco than I remembered :

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fantastic-four-blame-game-fox-814764

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

Sources say Fox believed in what one executive calls a "grounded, gritty version of Fantastic Four that was almost the opposite of previous versions" — and initially thought Trank could deliver that. Several sources say Fox stood by Trank as he pushed a gloomy tone on young stars Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell. "During takes, he would be telling [castmembers] when to blink and when to breathe," one person says. "He kept pushing them to make the performance as flat as possible."

There were worrying personal issues as well. As THR reported in May, Trank and his dogs allegedly caused more than $100,000 worth of damage to a rented house in Baton Rouge that he and his wife occupied while the film was shooting there. Sources say now that after landlord Martin Padial moved to evict Trank, photographs of the landlord's family that were in the house were defaced. Padial made a complaint to the local sheriff's department and filed a civil suit in Louisiana that is sealed. Padial's attorney, Michael Bienvenu, declined to comment on the matter. The sheriff's department says the case was "closed as a civil matter between landlord and tenant."

When the seriousness of the problems could no longer be ignored, says a key source on the project, it was too late to fire the director. "How do you ask someone to take over half of a movie shot by someone else?" he says. "You either hire somebody desperate for work or you [start over], write off pretty much the whole budget and lose the cast."

As filming wound toward an unhappy close, the studio and producers Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker engaged in a last-minute scramble to come up with an ending. With some of the cast not fully available at that point and Kinberg juggling X-Men: Apocalypse and Star Wars, a lot of material was shot with doubles and the production moved to Los Angeles to film scenes with Teller against a green screen. "It was chaos," says a crewmember, adding that Trank was still in attendance "but was neutralized by a committee." Another source says the studio pulled together "a dream team," including writer and World War Z veteran Drew Goddard, to rescue the movie. Whether the final version of the film is better or worse than what Trank put together is a matter of opinion, of course, but the consensus, clearly, is that neither was good.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 28, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That bolded paragraph is really funny since now it's the norm. Godspeed Josh Wheldon and Clint Howard.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping we can get an amazing documentary out of this, like Lost Soul.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jamesman posted:

I'm hoping we can get an amazing documentary out of this, like Lost Soul.

The problem is that it'd probably involve some footage from FF415 and nobody should be exposed to that

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I hope we get the actual movie that Trank wanted someday.

or as close as it can get.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Happened to look at its wiki page - hadn't remembered these cameos, probably because the whole thing was so unmemorable but this sort of train wreck seems like the sort of thing he would've actually enjoyed:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(2015_film)

Wikipedia posted:

Additionally, Dan Castellaneta portrays Mr. Kenny, Reed's teacher and Tim Heidecker appears as Mr. Richards, Reed's stepfather.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Set the loving thing during the mid to late 60's, throw in some Viet Nam, space race, commies, nukes and hippie poo poo, scared conservatives and every-men on the streets, follow up on what The Incredibles and "Marvels" did so well for the sitcom/family drama aspects, and then go full Galactus, Silver Surfer, Mole Man Monster, Doom, Namor and Negative Zone. Do the "superheroes with no secret identities who are celebrities" thing.

I'd be keen on a movie adapting the story where the FF have to quit superheroics and get real jobs, because Reed Richards managed to lose all their money on the stock market despite being ostensibly the smartest man on Earth, and they're saved when the Sub-Mariner steps in and offers to produce a movie about them, having purchased a film studio with sunken treasure from a Spanish galleon.

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

sticksy posted:

Happened to look at its wiki page - hadn't remembered these cameos, probably because the whole thing was so unmemorable but this sort of train wreck seems like the sort of thing he would've actually enjoyed:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(2015_film)

I met Tim at a meet and greet after one of his stand-up shows and told him I saw FF15 because he was in it. He said "I'm so sorry about that."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone mentioned the Daredevil movie a page back which gives me an excuse to post this which pretty sums up every terrible thing about that movie.

It also give me an excuse to post this which is on par with the link above in regards to awfulness and proof why both Catwoman and Daredevil are horrifically bad movies.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Madkal posted:

Someone mentioned the Daredevil movie a page back which gives me an excuse to post this which pretty sums up every terrible thing about that movie.

It also give me an excuse to post this which is on par with the link above in regards to awfulness and proof why both Catwoman and Daredevil are horrifically bad movies.

Why have you brought these black omens upon us, stranger?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Halle Berry almost quit X-Men between X2 and X3 because she was sure that Catwoman was going to be this huge superhero movie franchise that she'd headline? I also remember hearing that MGM wanted her character from Die Another Day to spin off into her own series (which I think might have been fun) and I'm pretty sure there were actually some posters for that movie where she was positioned in front of Pierce Brosnan.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She was pretty hot back then (I mean hot in the industry sense, not physically, which obviously she was and still is that as well) and could easily have blown up to be the number one box office actress of the time if not for getting into a string of some really crappy projects.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Reminder that before Catwoman she had won an Oscar for Monster's Ball. After she won an Oscar she did Catwoman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I can't imagine reading the script to Catwoman and thinking it would be anything but a disaster. Did she sign on without reading the script? Was the movie completely re-written between Berry signing on and the start of filming?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well the film was originally going to be a spin-off of Batman Returns, then things happened.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
When her agent told her it looked like a catastrophe in the making, she thought they were being punny

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Madkal posted:

I know what both of these are before clicking them.

Playground see saw fight

Basketball game

Right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

Playground see saw fight

Basketball game

Right?

Why don't you click to find out, you chicken.

they are

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Reminder that before Catwoman she had won an Oscar for Monster's Ball. After she won an Oscar she did Catwoman.

Also a reminder that she is so awesome that she not only won the Razzie for Catwoman but showed up to accept it with her Oscar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-7s_yeQuDg

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
That IS a baller move.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BiggerBoat posted:

Playground see saw fight

Basketball game

Right?

I really don't understand why either of those scenes exist. But those kinds of scenes were very 90s. I'd count the basketball scene in Escape From LA to be similar.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

twistedmentat posted:

I really don't understand why either of those scenes exist. But those kinds of scenes were very 90s. I'd count the basketball scene in Escape From LA to be similar.

Difference being that Escape from LA probably knew exactly how the scene would actually be perceived and went whole hog with it

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Neither of those movies came out in the 90s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Super Dan posted:

1996 is not the 90s? Escape from la is not escape from New York

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I hope we get the actual movie that Trank wanted someday.

or as close as it can get.

You basically can, it's not like the vast majority of his poo poo isn't out there to see. It's still a loving terrible film, just a terrible film that would have less stand ins and bad wig game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Super Dan posted:

That's what makes it so baffling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Also a reminder that she is so awesome that she not only won the Razzie for Catwoman but showed up to accept it with her Oscar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-7s_yeQuDg

I'd forgotten about this. She's awesome.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ojjeorago posted:

Trolls is getting a sequel mostly on the merits of Trolls 2's stars, the McElroy Brothers.

God bless you

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The Escape from LA scene was played for laughs though and obviously over the top. The DD and Catwoman scenes seemed like they were meant to be bad rear end and taken seriously.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The Escape from LA scene was played for laughs though and obviously over the top. The DD and Catwoman scenes seemed like they were meant to be bad rear end and taken seriously.

No, they're supposed to be funny in a flirty way for the DD scene and in a 'lol look at Halle own these kids' way for Catwoman. They both mostly fail but not because you're supposed to be sitting stroking your chin at how intense the action is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

catlord posted:

That's what makes it so baffling.

Exactly, they FELT very 90s, which is odd for movies made in the earth 2000s. The whole "Look how cool an awesome these characters are" scene. I mean, it's Poochie, we need to show how cool they are or the audience may not realize it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also Kurt Russel really did it on time. But yea, Escape From La was certainly tongue in cheek and it works within the context of the film, but I feel like that inspried copy cats. It's probably me just connecting them with basketball and the scene demonstrating the skill of the character, and not really inspired by each other.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

No, they're supposed to be funny in a flirty way for the DD scene and in a 'lol look at Halle own these kids' way for Catwoman. They both mostly fail but not because you're supposed to be sitting stroking your chin at how intense the action is.

That's not entirely what I meant so maybe I worded it poorly.

The DD and CW scenes were supposed to be playful, flirtatious and funny, sure, but still within the context of movies that the viewer is overall being asked to take seriously and, hence, stood out for all the wrong reasons. The EFLA hoops scene was an over the top camp highlight in an entire movie that was meant to be campy.

There's a reason why seesaw DD fight and Catwoman hoops are the first things people post to demonstrate how lovely those films are and why people post Snake playing full court one on one as an example of why EFLA owns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The seesaw scene is amazing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I won a knit DD cap at the radio station hosted preview screening, and bought a Ecko Unltd Daredevil shirt around the time the movie came out. People thought I was really into a lovely movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Escape From LA was the straight gladiator fight and the basketball scene was Escape From New York.

• Locked thread