Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Battlemaster really should be "you get Precision Attack and two other manoeuvres".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

So in other words it has nothing to do with being a Fighter. Since anyone with a those items, proficiency in the maul, and that feat could do that. That said not everyone can get the Booming Blade. Of course other classes could do that and better, a Rogue with say a +2 Rapier instead can pull it off but better in they can use Sneak Attack. Pretty sure other classes could add extra damage, even if they can't all use a Maul.

I also have 20 AC :shrug:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
...How?

You are using a Maul so no Shield. Do you have like +2 Platemail? What level are you to have all these magic items that probably shouldn't be available before level 15?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ryuujin posted:

...How?

You are using a Maul so no Shield. Do you have like +2 Platemail? What level are you to have all these magic items that probably shouldn't be available before level 15?

He said booming blade adds 1d8 damage to the attack, so not higher than 10. It's probably reasonable to have a rare at that point (although magic items are "ask your DM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" so who knows), but I'd look askance at three.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
18 AC from the best nonmagical heavy armor
+1 AC from the warforged racial feature
+1 AC from the defense fighting style

Checks out to me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

...How?

Plate Mail 18
Warforged race feature +1
Cloak of Protection +1

The GM gave one each of: very rare, rare and uncommon magic items for our level 8 characters in this one shot adventure.

I took Great Weapon Fighting as my class feature.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Plate Mail 18
Warforged race feature +1
Cloak of Protection +1

The GM gave one each of: very rare, rare and uncommon magic items for our level 8 characters in this one shot adventure.

I took Great Weapon Fighting as my class feature.

Your answer satisfies the Inquisition. For now.

(Boy sure hope they don't ask how I'm doin' 2d6+31+10d8 damage with a greatsword four times in one round at level 20)

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone know if there is a d&d miniature subscription similar to pathfinder?

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
How highly do people here rate Resistance as a class feature, as per Bear Totem's "everything but psychic"?

I have a few ideas for some homebrew archetypes focused on being right tough, and was mulling over features that grant Resistance to stuff - either one damage type of the users choice, or a choice between all physical / all non-physical, I.e bludgeoning, piercing, slashing.
How would those stack up, and what do people think of at-will resilience?

Also thinking of having a capstone for a pacifistic option a Reaction that ends the targets turn on a failed save, is that 1/short rest or 1/long rest?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Ambi posted:

How highly do people here rate Resistance as a class feature, as per Bear Totem's "everything but psychic"?

I have a few ideas for some homebrew archetypes focused on being right tough, and was mulling over features that grant Resistance to stuff - either one damage type of the users choice, or a choice between all physical / all non-physical, I.e bludgeoning, piercing, slashing.

Also thinking of having a capstone for a pacifistic option a Reaction that ends the targets turn on a failed save, is that 1/short rest or 1/long rest?

"Everything but psychic" is the reason why I love Bear Totem so much. You become so hard to loving kill.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ambi posted:

By capstone you mean a level 20 ability?

Short rest.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Ambi posted:

Resist all like bear totem is crazy good, possibly the best tank. Another option to explore might be damage reduction like the HAM feat, maybe scale with level or prof bonus.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Reclaimer posted:

Your answer satisfies the Inquisition. For now.

(Boy sure hope they don't ask how I'm doin' 2d6+31+10d8 damage with a greatsword four times in one round at level 20)

The fact that this game makes you roll 10d8 for anything is a failure on the part of the designers, IMHO.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Bear Totem resistance is the best tanky feature in the system. Barbs with high CON can soak absurd amounts of damage.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

P.d0t posted:

The fact that this game makes you roll 10d8 for anything is a failure on the part of the designers, IMHO.

The fact that the game still makes you roll for damage at all is a failure on the part of the designers.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

P.d0t posted:

Let's not even mention when the target is Held and all four of those are autocrits, and I have Great Weapon Fighting Style...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Scyther posted:

The game is a failure on the part of the designers.

Took the liberty of condensing your post a bit, hope it's okay.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Talking about rolling a million dice, what does it take for a party to beat a tarrasque? How many max level adventurers needed? Min-maxed to gently caress or is it.not as hard as the monster manual makes it look?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You probably want to OSR it and chuck it into the Elemental Plane of Fire or something, instead of grid-battling it.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Scyther posted:

The fact that the game still makes you roll for damage at all is a failure on the part of the designers.

There's arguments to be made either way; people enjoy rolling dice, and tend to pay less attention to low results in favor of high results because high results are more exciting. Rolling to hit and for damage isn't innately bad because it does add some level enjoyment for people, the problem is when you're expected to hurl either huge fistfuls of dice or fewer dice a hell of a lot more times because this is not actually fun for pretty much anyone and actively flies in the face of 5E's stated goal of simplifying things - you'd think HP totals could be easily shifted downwards along with damage values, but then again That's Not (3E) D&D.

That said I am 100% in favor of ditching damage rolls to speed up combat and instead having granularity come from other choices that don't introduce big variable spreads.

But if you'd just gotta have those ridiculous large numbers of dice for the love of god just get a dice rolling app on your phone.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tir McDohl posted:

Talking about rolling a million dice, what does it take for a party to beat a tarrasque? How many max level adventurers needed? Min-maxed to gently caress or is it.not as hard as the monster manual makes it look?

It only takes one man to walk away.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

In 13th Age you just average dice rolls past a certain number of dice (5 or higher iirc). I dunno if this is a variant rule for 5e but you could try it.

So a D4 becomes 2.5 per die, D6 becomes 3.5 per die, D8 4.5 per die, etc. Then round up. 10d8 would be 45 then add whatever mods you normally would. 9d8 would be 41 (from 40.5), then add mods.

Saves time but personally I like rolling dice.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

doctor 7 posted:

In 13th Age you just average dice rolls past a certain number of dice (5 or higher iirc). I dunno if this is a variant rule for 5e but you could try it.

So a D4 becomes 2.5 per die, D6 becomes 3.5 per die, D8 4.5 per die, etc. Then round up. 10d8 would be 45 then add whatever mods you normally would. 9d8 would be 41 (from 40.5), then add mods.

Saves time but personally I like rolling dice.

I think this is an optional rule, but what is a rule is that once scaling gets to a certain point, it gets expressed as a number like 2d6 x 10 as opposed to 20d6.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
IIRC, they actually present three methods as options without really stating an official default: roll all the dice, take the average, or roll a few dice and take the average of the rest.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mordiceius posted:

How the gently caress is WotC so loving stupid and bad
MtG is bad for brains.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Personally if I had 20d6 I'd roll them sometimes when I cast a 2d6 x 10 spell. Only if it was a really good battle though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
13a, it's more important to note, doesn't have you roll enemy damage. It's always static. Personally, I find it does legit help speed things up at least a little.

Also, Bear Totem Barbarian is probably the best non-spellcaster class in the game, albeit remember that there's all of like, maybe 6? Subclasses with no spellcasting at all. On the bright side, it's also still better then rangers and Eldritch Knights, and probably equal to paladins. Being able to actually tank damage means a LOT, and enough of the other barbarian abilities are no slouch either.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

13a, it's more important to note, doesn't have you roll enemy damage. It's always static. Personally, I find it does legit help speed things up at least a little.

I use gradenko's monster math and never roll for damage anymore when GMing. It saves time and cuts down on the swinginess.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Caphi posted:

Personally if I had 20d6 I'd roll them sometimes when I cast a 2d6 x 10 spell. Only if it was a really good battle though.

Rolling a shitload of d6 is half the reason my buddy ran orks in 40k.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When your players are struggling to have useful proficiencies covered or to pick a background that fits, remind them that Custom Backgrounds are not a variant rule. I mean yeah leave it subject to your approval but remind them of that poo poo all the time because is there a DM in the world that DOESN'T want their players to be good at talking and investigating?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Kaysette posted:

I'd be fine with giving players the individual choice (on character creation I guess) between rolling and dealing average damage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When your players are struggling to have useful proficiencies covered or to pick a background that fits, remind them that Custom Backgrounds are not a variant rule. I mean yeah leave it subject to your approval but remind them of that poo poo all the time because is there a DM in the world that DOESN'T want their players to be good at talking and investigating?

Investigation and research rolls are great to fail forward on, regardless of skill levrl. Have them learn a half-true rumour, point them at someone else to pry the info out of, have someone take umbrage at their digging.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Kaysette posted:

That and the fact my Killteam is pretty much Fury Road: 40k are what drew me in. Now, if the 40k orks, even primitives, invaded Faerun... That's a book I'd read.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Does anyone have the effortposts about how a skeleton-based economy might work? Like, how necromancy might not be evil and could improve life for people? I'm introducing a character that wants to sell my group on necromancy not being inherently bad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
In general, if skeletons are able to take care of all the labor, it gives the living a better opportunity to pursue their passions and interests.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tir McDohl posted:

I think I did it one night, and it can be done by a level 1 Cleric with a flying broom (or some other way to fly I guess), by spamming a saving throw cantrip until it fails enough. Don't remember exact details though.

As to max level adventurers? I'm gonna say it can be done by a level 20 Wizard/Sorcerer/Bard solo, probably any full caster solo, but no idea on the rest.

Don't NEED to min-max it though, from when I was reading the stats it wasn't as hard as the reputation suggests.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I tried to model economic skeletons, I would include:

- needs to be within 1/2 mile of controller
- a layperson can only control one skeleton
- the skeleton being controlled needed to be, at death, of an age within a year of the controller's

Basically have them amplify but not replace the economy. Automation gone right, or maybe not far enough to reach post-scarcity levels.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kibner posted:

In general, if skeletons are able to take care of all the labor, it gives the living a better opportunity to pursue their passions and interests.

yeah right. the necromancers would live in silibone valley and tell the serfs to work extra hard and bootstrap themselves into mage college and that they don't deserve a handout

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mastershakeman posted:

yeah right. the necromancers would live in silibone valley and tell the serfs to work extra hard and bootstrap themselves into mage college and that they don't deserve a handout

That cuts a little close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

gently caress that. Seize the means of reanimation.