Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm actually debating building an emulation station for my dad because his legs are in terrible shape and he wouldn't easily be able to get up and change a cartridge. Wanted to get an NES Classic for him but obviously that's not going to happen.

That's very sweet of you I just don't imagine it would result in a multi-page debate over ethernet port positioning. :toot:

Just get him a Wii and softmod it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Lode Runner: The Legend Returns - I'm not sure how hidden a gem this is. I think it was pretty popular on PC in its day, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in ages. The PS1 version has remixed music and extra levels, and at the very least it's another good game with a level editor.

I legitimately have a copy for the PC sitting two feet from me. I pulled it out a week or so ago since I wanted to go back and replay it. Definitely an enjoyable version.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

falz posted:

Look at how awesome everything lines up in an Amiga 500 case, just get one of those:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/501472872/commodore-amiga-500-retro-raspberry-pi

Or just get this Genesis USB hub and jam a Pi in there:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32064-Sega-Genesis-Usb-Hub

That takes like a minute to load up. What is this? 2005?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RodShaft posted:

That takes like a minute to load up. What is this? 2005?

56K WARNING

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Here are some video games I like on the PS1 that I don't think anyone's already said:

Carnage Heart - Strategy game where you build mechs and program them to fight each other with an icon-based programming language. Surprisingly complex for such an early PS1 game.
Jumping Flash! 1 & 2- First person 3D platformers where you jump really high, they're both extremely similar so play one or play both.
Power Shovel - Do various tasks with a power shovel. Half simulation, half goofy minigames. Has its own special hard to find controller.
Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman - The game itself is honestly pretty clunky but it's an interesting forefather to the modern Devil May Cry style action game with a real weird sense of personality.
Shooter: Starfighter Sanvein - They threw a bunch of generic adjectives and box art at this when they brought it to the states but Sanvein kinda owns. Sorta like a one stick dual-stick shooter with physics and a really unique time management/power up system instead of health and lives.
Strider 2 - Sacrifices the challenge of Strider 1 (which is also included on a separate mislabeled disc) in exchange for making the controls feel great and fluid, letting you do a bunch of real cool ninja poo poo with ease.
Wolf Fang: Kuhga 2001 - Japan-only port of an obscure Data East arcade game that I like a lot, it's a horizontal shmup except you're in a robot suit that you get to customize with different parts and weapons and if your robot blows up you're just a little man with a tiny gun that can scrounge for powerups to rebuild the robot. Has a bunch of branching paths and story as well as updated graphics and music that I don't like as much.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 29, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What are some good Mecha games I can get on this Pi? Something a little goofy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

Here are some video games I like on the PS1 that I don't think anyone's already said:

Carnage Heart - Strategy game where you build mechs and program them to fight each other with an icon-based programming language. Surprisingly complex for such an early PS1 game.
Jumping Flash! 1 & 2- First person 3D platformers where you jump really high, they're both extremely similar so play one or play both.
Power Shovel - Do various tasks with a power shovel. Half simulation, half goofy minigames. Has its own special hard to find controller.
Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman - The game itself is honestly pretty clunky but it's an interesting forefather to the modern Devil May Cry style action game with a real weird sense of personality.
Shooter: Starfighter Sanvein - They threw a bunch of generic adjectives and box art at this when they brought it to the states but Sanvein kinda owns. Sorta like a one stick dual-stick shooter with physics and a really unique time management/power up system instead of health and lives.
Strider 2 - Sacrifices the challenge of Strider 1 (which is also included on a separate mislabeled disc) in exchange for making the controls feel great and fluid, letting you do a bunch of real cool ninja poo poo with ease.
Wolf Fang: Kuhga 2001 - Japan-only port of an obscure Data East arcade game that I like a lot, it's a horizontal shmup except you're in a robot suit that you get to customize with different parts and weapons and if your robot blows up you're just a little man with a tiny gun that can scrounge for powerups to rebuild the robot. Has a bunch of branching paths and story as well as updated graphics and music that I don't like as much.

I have wolf fang kuhga 2001 on my vita because of your rec ages ago and it's a blast to play through from time to time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's just as terrible as you think it is.

(Does the Pi run DosBox okay? I think the game originated on the PC98 as well, IIRC. Or at least one of those weird Japanese computers that nobody bothers with.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 29, 2017

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Sir Tonk posted:

56K WARNING

MOM! DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

(Does the Pi run DosBox okay? I think the game originated on the PC98 as well, IIRC. Or at least one of those weird Japanese computers that nobody bothers with.)

Lowish-end 386 speeds, usually good enough for anything that isn't 3D and released before 94/95.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

It's just as terrible as you think it is.

It does not run dosbox too well. Generally you can expect performance like an ok 386 system or low end 486 system.

Roughly speaking DosBox on the Pi 3 will perform similarly to a 386DX 25 or 33 MHz system with a slower VGA card of the time. There's a fork or two called fastdosbox that can bump performance for many games closer to like a 486DX 50 MHz system with a better VGA card (which is more of a boost than it might look) but it's not consistent with all games. Some titles even run worse.

For all around better performance you'll want to setup a QEMU install but that's not nearly as grab and go as dosbox.

If you're familiar with DOOM on original hardware, the default dosbox is like a system that requires you to shrink the gameplay window quite a few notches for a playable framerate, and the fast fork is one that maintains a steady framerate in the official levels but starts to chug with complex player maps.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 29, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BigRed0427 posted:

Remote Control Dandy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb1Wnjf0dNc

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
How much would it cost to get a Genesis model 1 modded for overclocking?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wizgot posted:

How much would it cost to get a Genesis model 1 modded for overclocking?

I forget if you live in the US or not, but if you do, you could always ask Monitor Burn in his SA-Mart mod services thread about it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813846

I don't think there's any set price, though you could certainly use the cost of shipping to and back from a modder as a starting point if you can't find anyone to do it for you locally.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I forget if you live in the US or not, but if you do, you could always ask Monitor Burn in his SA-Mart mod services thread about it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813846

I don't think there's any set price, though you could certainly use the cost of shipping to and back from a modder as a starting point if you can't find anyone to do it for you locally.

He does console mods too? I live in Spain but go to the US over the summer to visit family. I was supposed to send him my Super Gameboy so he could mod it to have the proper clock time but I forgot to pack the stupid thing (which reminds me,I should probably pm him if he doesn't see this).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What the gently caress do you do with an overclocked Genesis?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Star Man posted:

Hyper blast processing, my friend. Also, some games run smoother, at least that's what I have heard. For instance, Road Rash II is a pretty choppy game that an overclocked Genesis would smooth out. The same thing can be said for Lightening Force IV. Super Hang On would also run quicker and be closer to arcade speed.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

And Time Travel.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wizgot posted:

He does console mods too? I live in Spain but go to the US over the summer to visit family. I was supposed to send him my Super Gameboy so he could mod it to have the proper clock time but I forgot to pack the stupid thing (which reminds me,I should probably pm him if he doesn't see this).

Yep, mod work requests are the other half of his SA-Mart business. I assume you're talking about the US Genesis, correct? I ask because a big hiccup would be powering a European console here in the States, due to the differences in wall voltage and probably plug type. But if all that a Genesis / Mega Drive needs is some way to get 9V DC power in, then it might not be such a big deal.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wizgot posted:

Hyper blast processing, my friend. Also, some games run smoother, at least that's what I have heard. For instance, Road Rash II is a pretty choppy game that an overclocked Genesis would smooth out. The same thing can be said for Lightening Force IV. Super Hang On would also run quicker and be closer to arcade speed.

And it makes Sonic Spinball move at a speed that feels more correct, though it still isn't beefy enough to prevent slowdown during the crazy boss explosion animations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Star Man posted:

What Nintendon't :smuggo:.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a tg16 game I can't remember the name of that's like Dungeon Master but in a space station with a mech. Definitely came out in English.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

al-azad posted:

There's a tg16 game I can't remember the name of that's like Dungeon Master but in a space station with a mech. Definitely came out in English.

Silent Debuggers?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Silent Debuggers?

Yeah that looks familiar. I thought you were a mech but thinking about it I'm confusing it with Space Griffon VF-9. If anybody complains about bad dubs, I guarantee you haven't heard the worst.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What Nintendon't :smuggo:.

Fact: I never regret the fact that my experience with Sega consoles is very limited.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm actually debating building an emulation station for my dad because his legs are in terrible shape and he wouldn't easily be able to get up and change a cartridge. Wanted to get an NES Classic for him but obviously that's not going to happen.

You can do in game reset on the NES Everdrive if you have one for him to use

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Fun PS1 games I recall that haven't been mentioned yet:

Einhänder, a 2.5d side-scrolling shooter by Square with amazing music if nothing else. The visuals are gorgeous for the time and the weapon system is still fairly unique.

Armored Core 1, Project Phantasma, and Master of Arena, some of FROM's earliest work and a fairly fast-paced mecha game set with an absurd number of potential parts combinations to work with. Project Phantasma and Master of Arena are effectively expansion packs on top of Armored Core 1, with you loading your AC1 save into PP, then loading that AC1 OR PP save into Master of Arena.

Brahma Force: The Assault on Beltlogger 9, a weird-rear end survival horror first person game with a mech.

WarGames: Defcon 1, a weird RTS-esque game based on the '80s movie WarGames where WHOPR has bidden its time and unleashed an army of drone vehicles to take over the world.

G-Police, an interesting game with a hovering chopper-esque vehicle used as part of the colonial police of a moon of Neptune, IIRC. Interesting in actually having graphical sliders to let you sacrifice draw distance for better graphical quality elsewhere, or vice-versa. Has a sequel that loses some of the length and charm of the original but gives you far more vehicles to work with.

Seconding the mentions of Front Mission 3, Future Cop: LAPD, R-Type Delta, Colony Wars, X4 (and maybe X5/X6), and Warhawk too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HLJ.com's now got those 4inchNell Mega Man Legends Mega Man figurines in. Just gotta wait for mine to come in the mail... :shepspends:.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Some PlayStation recommendations that I didn't see yet.

Elemental Gearbolt: My favorite light-shooter around, it has a neat weapons systems with a fascinating techno-fantasy setting.

Ghost in the Shell: Solid, anime-derived 3-D action game from the team that made Jumping Flash, but it's better because you can shoot things, climb walls, and actually see what you're doing.

Guilty Gear: Crude compared to what came after, but it's fun and has a unique style among 2-D fighters.

Lightning Legend: A 3-D fighter with an interesting item-collection mode.

Harmful Park: Goofy 2-D shooter in the tradition of Parodius.

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure: Too bad you'll need Japanese skills to fully enjoy this clever, Undertale-like satire of RPGs. Keep an eye out for a fan translation that's still in the works.

Namco Anthology 2: Includes an awesome Legend of Valkyrie game that remakes the action-RPG original with the arcade game's mechanics and style.

Panzer Bandit: Enjoyable brawler with a multi-plane movement system reminiscent of Guardian Heroes.

Thunder Force V: Great 2-D shooter with a 3-D look. My favorite of the series.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HLJ.com's now got those 4inchNell Mega Man Legends Mega Man figurines in. Just gotta wait for mine to come in the mail... :shepspends:.

It's sad that Japanese action figure prices are such that I looked at the site and thought "Forty bucks? Well, that's not so bad..."

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 29, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kid Fenris posted:

It's sad that Japanese action figure prices are such that I looked at the site and thought "Forty bucks? Well, that's not so bad..."

I make no excuses about it being a carefully considered purchase on my part. It was pure :shepspends: because I just love Mega Man Legends 2. Kinda sad they didn't include any of the subweapons as accessories, but oh well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Any goons in these cities can score an NES Classic for retail price. Unfortunately I live nowhere near any of them

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/amazon-treasure-truck-selling-nintendo-nes-classic-for-60-today/

Hope this helps someone here!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Star Man posted:

Sonic doesn't slowdown when ring dropping. Also I bet Hard Driving is playable. Seems like a completely reasonable request, could probably add a little heatsink if required.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I actually removed the overclock mod from mine because it actually prevents the Sega CD from working.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You can do in game reset on the NES Everdrive if you have one for him to use

What's the key combo on this? I've never heard that you can IGR the NES. I know there are save states, but I've never known of a reset key.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What's the key combo on this? I've never heard that you can IGR the NES. I know there are save states, but I've never known of a reset key.

I could have sworn I downloaded a replacement firmware for it that brought you to a new screen to select save state stuff and letting you go back to the ROM selection. I could be wrong but I'm in a different state right now and can't check my cart

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't believe i'm saying this but i might start selling a bunch of my old game poo poo. after getting back into college, i literally haven't played any game other than kerbal space program since january and i don't want to be that guy who just collects poo poo but doesn't play it.

my tg16, 3do, a couple of my genesis' and my nomad, one of my nes', maybe my 7800 and my three old atari computers and ti-99 4/a, my og xbox, my dreamcast. i've not touched most of these in years. maybe the whole 'you'll outgrow video games' thing finally happened to me, i dunno :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I actually removed the overclock mod from mine because it actually prevents the Sega CD from working.

That's why you get it with a switch, so you can change clock speeds at a whim.

• Locked thread