Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Mastery of Nature

I haven't got the DLC so want to see if it's as broken as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Technological Ascendancy

Better technology is the path to success.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I can't not vote for Mastery of Nature. I love it way too much.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Weavered posted:

Mastery of Nature

I haven't got the DLC so want to see if it's as broken as it sounds.

It is. For every tile blocker that's natural like volcanoes, mountains, dangerous wildlife, etc, the mineral and energy cost is removed so even if you settle on a 25 tile planet with 2/3s of the planet covered in blockers you'll have a fully cleared planet in 5 years for no cost. In that time frame you'll probably have 3-4 pops grow so you can take breaks from clearing to build new structures but the removed cost basically let's you run the clearing in the background. In addition, your society researcher doesn't have to spend time researching the technologies that you need nor will a moment happen where you don't get the technology that you need.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Mastery of Our Domain Nature

*Kramer slides in, slams a Giant Spider down on the counter* "I'M OUT!"

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I'll try and get an update out before I go out camping this weekend.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've always gone with Mastery of Nature...so I'll vote One Vision :v:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Mastery of Nature

Basically, it gives you about eight or so techs for free at once and makes them cost 0 to use. Sounds dull but the sheer amount of money and time you save is incredible.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah Mastery of Nature is best for min/maxing but so far we've picked a lot of the optimal choices. Where is the fun in that?

I'm voting for One Vision because it fits us better thematically.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I'm gonna close voting now and try and get an update up soon -- it's been a busy week.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mastery of Nature

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

wiegieman, your vote came in too late.
  • Interstellar Dominion: (0)
  • Technological Ascendancy: Aerdan, Trivia, The_Final_Stand, Libluini, Yadoppsi, The Bold Kobold (6)
  • One Vision: Veloxyll, paragon1, Kanthulhu, AJ_Impy, POOL IS CLOSED, Mister Adequate, SirPhoebos, JuniperCake (8)
  • Mastery of Nature: Roobanguy, Vinny Possum, alcaras, fermun, Wyld Karde, Luhood, kaosdrachen, RedMagus, Lynneth, 100YrsofAttitude, Weavered, Cyflan, Neophyte, King Doom (14)
  • Imperial Prerogative: Stormgear (1)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
So close! But I look forward to seeing the fruits of our mastery.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
This game looks like it will be very interesting to follow. Consider this thread watched.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Through various research projects from the scientific community, Humanity comes to claim a mastery over xenoplanetary terrain. Almost immediately, Gaia's Landing and Terra Nova begin to increase their habitable area.

More research is put in place to assist the war effort.

The Buzzards lay dormant, building their fleet up.

Terra Nova begins work on a stardock.

The invasion of Mbat begins.

The land forces on Mbat are no match for General Rahimi's troopers, and the planet soon falls under UN occupation.

Military research continues.

Dr. Dietrich, upon studying an unusually bright sun, concludes that it can be used to increase our energy income dramatically.

The Fleet moves to begin attacking the Buzzard homeworld.

News arrives from the Trinikan Partnership -- due to good relations with the UN and the Kitsu, they have embraced the ideals of one of their xenophilic factions.

Turexm's spaceport defenses are too much for the Fleet, and Admiral Lewinson orders a retreat. Out of 22 Anacondas, only 5 survive.

Dr. Feher dies in an accident at home, aged 74.

Her replacement is Mi Zheng, considered an expert in military doctrine.

Due to the defeat at Turexm, and fearing an invasion of UN space, President Muwanga decides to send a message to the Turexmian Board of Supervisors offering a ceasefire. It is accepted. All military ships leave Turexmian space. Naturally, some people on Earth are angered by this news. A fist fight between planetary councilmembers on Terra Nova occurs.

The fleet's Anacondas undergo refits.

First contact with another empire occurs. The Holy Hahdiinspaan Covenant begins communication with Earth after learning our language and communication frequencies by eavesdropping on conversations between the Kitsu, which they border, and the UN.

The Kitsu are not on good terms with the Hahdiinspaan.

His wartime research finished, Dr. Mi begins work on improving government procedures to adapt to a multi-planetary nation.

A group of individuals state they are brave enough to colonize Dantonhatden Ia, which they give the name "Spider World."

The Hahdiinspaan declare their contempt for us, mostly because of our friendly relations with the Kitsu.

Dr. Batista sends a message to the General Assembly. Since he has finished his work on spaceports large enough to hold and build destroyers, he reaches out for guidance on what to spend research grants on.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
For Engineering research, the choices are:

• Advanced Spaceport - +2000 Mineral cap, unlocks Spaceport Lv. 4 and Destroyer Assembly Yards
  • Deep Space Stations - Unlocks Defense Stations.
  • Autocannons - Unlocks the Autocannon ship component.
  • Afterburners - Unlocks the Afterburners ship component. Since this technology was recovered from enemy debris, it remains as a valid option until it's researched.
  • Ceramo-Metal Materials - Unlocks level 2 ship armor. Since this technology was recovered from enemy debris, it remains as a valid option until it's researched.
  • Fusion Missiles - Unlocks the Fusion Missiles (missiles lv. 2) ship weapon. Since this technology was recovered from enemy debris, it remains as a valid option until it's researched.

A chance to help design and name the G-200 destroyer class will come soon.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Who the gently caress do those cats think they are talking to us like that?!? We're people!

Research Advanced Spaceports, we need to increase our fleet size to burn out the self-righteous, crusading fur balls. Then we can use their holy worlds as our Space-Australia and send our dregs to live there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Advanced Spaceports, bigger and better ships are the way to go. Next time we won't be forced to peace out with those vile interlopers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

Dr. Feher dies in an accident at home, aged 74.

More like Dr.Fehler, am I right? :haw:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Advanced Spaceports

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Deep Space Stations. What good's an invasion fleet if we can't keep what we've got?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Deep Space Stations. What good's an invasion fleet if we can't keep what we've got?

This.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Early spaceports are monsters compared with the tiny dinghies we start with. We need Advanced Spaceports as the inevitable step to build hulls as glorious as our future empire.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Advanced Spaceports.

More ships. Bigger ships. ALL THE SHIPS.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Bigger is better for spaceports too!

Advanced Spaceports

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Defense Stations are garbage, just fyi

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Much as I'd like to see us adopt autocannons for the sheer dakka, Advanced Spaceports is the way to go here.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fusion Missiles. Destroyer Assembly yards just lets us build destroyer's faster. Fusion Missiles will let us build better destroyers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Autocannons! Blast the poo poo out of the xeno filth mildly annoying aliens.

LLSix posted:

Fusion Missiles will let us build better destroyers.
Debatable. :v:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

GunnerJ posted:

Defense Stations are garbage, just fyi

They're bad for actual defence, but I do like them for the FTL inhibitor/snare, just to force the AI to actually take an engagement. Otherwise I end up playing cat and mouse whack-a-mole for ages because the AI doesn't want to engage and die like it ought to.

That said, they're still a fairly low priority and Advanced Spaceports is a more important tech to have.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Prefer Advanced Stations with secondary of Ceramo-Metal Materials. Because bigger ships is one thing, but that's a big investment if they get shot up and die. So we can build our ships, bu also make them die a bit less easily. Defense stations sound nice if they increase our range, but atm our next war doesn't seem to be that far off our existing borders..

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trade baklava for strategic resources.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Advanced Spaceports. Bigger mineral cap(*), more powerful stations, and destroyer assembly yards to crank out the new ship class faster.

*) Mind, if you're regularly at mineral cap this early in the game, you are doing something badly wrong.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Some maps of our nation and the known galaxy:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Out of curiosity, does Spider World's original name ending with a "Ia" mean we passed up a chance to name it Spidermoon?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Quantum Toast posted:

Out of curiosity, does Spider World's original name ending with a "Ia" mean we passed up a chance to name it Spidermoon?

Well, I can give you a chance to decide whether the name should be Spider World or Spidermoon, and I'll set the name accordingly once it's fully colonized.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I submit that we name a world Fhloston Paradise.

Possibly spiderworld.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rename Spider World to Arachnotopia.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

2nding Arachnotopia.

and Spaceports

Basic defense platforms are good enough to pull people in to slow down invasion fleets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

We should call it No Spiders Here Of Any Sort Whatsoever.

We should also pursue Spaceports, bigger hulls will be a critical means of ensuring we can actually win a war rather than stalemating.

• Locked thread