Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Alkydere posted:

It's getting...better I think but oh god the AI's random as gently caress joint wars are loving cancer.

Oh good it’s not just me. My buddy and were playing and two or three Civs just kept spamming joint wars at us then begging for peace. Then other Civs got pissed at us as we wiped two of them off the map despite the fact we never declared war once.

Edit: Oh and the barbarian spam is garbage too. We had to restart like five games because camps right next to our base would spawn five units of archers and horsemen next to your one warrior.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I guess they haven't improved the AI, huh.

turn 1: denouncement
turn 2: may i please buy your silk for 4 gold. lump sum.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
So I'm playing the update with the Quo's Balance Mod. Everything is cool so far and despite having wiped out a civ I have one friend. That being said Australia Guy denounced me and holy poo poo the animation scared me!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Edit: Oh and the barbarian spam is garbage too. We had to restart like five games because camps right next to our base would spawn five units of archers and horsemen next to your one warrior.

That's a thing, huh? I noticed one (but only one) of the nearby barbarian camps was making GBS threads out horsemen like crazy and it took a small army to finally stop them.

Question: Does the update break all mods or just UI mods? In other words, are there any mods I can install to make the AI just a little bit less erratic? :negative:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Can I get some tips on city placement and management? I played 2500 hours of civ 5 but without the same happiness system I think my ideas on where to put cities no longer apply.

And who can explain amenities to me? I thought that if I improved luxury resources I would get amenities but that apparently didn't work. What happens if my city has negative amenities for too long? Do I lose citizens?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Your Computer posted:

That's a thing, huh? I noticed one (but only one) of the nearby barbarian camps was making GBS threads out horsemen like crazy and it took a small army to finally stop them.
I don't know if it's a "thing" I've only only played a few games but Jesus did that loving suck and shut down my entire early game. I think we ended up restarting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Gave this another go with the new update. Sigh.

It's just so... tedious, on a fundamental level.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Defenestration posted:

Can I get some tips on city placement and management? I played 2500 hours of civ 5 but without the same happiness system I think my ideas on where to put cities no longer apply.

And who can explain amenities to me? I thought that if I improved luxury resources I would get amenities but that apparently didn't work. What happens if my city has negative amenities for too long? Do I lose citizens?

When you improve luxury tiles, it gives +1 happiness from amenities for up to 4 cities starting on your next turn. It will not give more than +1 amenity per city, even if you have less than four cites. So if you have one city and improve a luxury, you will not get +4 amenities in that city. You will get +1 amenity in your one city, and the next three cities you build will each get +1 amenity from your luxury.

Extra copies of luxuries do not add to your amenity count for that luxury. If you improve two spice tiles, you will only get +4, not +8. The extra is useful only for trade, just like in V.

The placing of cities isn't too important for happiness. The only exception to this comes in the mid-late game. Early in the game, you can build entertainment districts, which will give +1 happiness to the city that built it. Later on, you can build a zoo inside of that district, and that zoo will give its happiness bonus to each city within 6 tiles.

Another thing to keep in mind about amenities is that the game can shuffle them around every turn. If you have a city that is happy from other sources, like the entertainment district, then the game may shuffle your happiness from amenities around to cities that have a lower or negative happiness.

That's all I know about happiness off the top of my head.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of happiness, here's a dumb question; I'm playing on babby difficulty but I still feel like every early game I get big ol' red circles with "need more amenities" (and often housing too) and I simply don't have any tiles to improve. Are you just supposed to go through a phase like that or am I doing something completely wrong?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your Computer posted:

Are you just supposed to go through a phase like that or am I doing something completely wrong?

housing, you kinda cap out, but growth rates are sooooooo slow in this game (even with tons of food) that as long as you take fresh water sites, you should be able to keep up with the demand for housing. also remember to improve your tiles with workers, they raise your housing cap by 0.5 for every common-type improvement you build. you can mitigate the need for luxuries by doing spaced ICS and building entertainment districts so their "range" overlaps with a neighboring city.

i hope the expansions change the space race a bit, or maybe extend the tech tree, or something, because "mars landing" is really uninspiring when every other civ game has been "go to alpha centauri."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 29, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of happiness, here's a dumb question; I'm playing on babby difficulty but I still feel like every early game I get big ol' red circles with "need more amenities" (and often housing too) and I simply don't have any tiles to improve. Are you just supposed to go through a phase like that or am I doing something completely wrong?

You are supposed to go through a slow population growth from about the late medieval age until you discover neighborhoods. This drought gives Kongo, India, and Rome some nice advantages because of their housing uniques. Other civs have to fight to get one housing at a time with campuses, and barracks and such.

The population, housing, happiness system they have is actually pretty cool. It's about the only things that came out right.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The White Dragon posted:

i hope the expansions change the space race a bit, or maybe extend the tech tree, or something, because "mars landing" is really uninspiring when every other civ game has been "go to alpha centauri."

I don't know, I like it, personally. It's still a goal beyond anything we've managed yet, while not as ridiculous as jumping from "go to the moon" to "go to another solar system entirely".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

housing, you kinda cap out, but growth rates are sooooooo slow in this game (even with tons of food) that as long as you take fresh water sites, you should be able to keep up with the demand for housing. also remember to improve your tiles with workers, they raise your housing cap by 0.5 for every common-type improvement you build. you can mitigate the need for luxuries by doing spaced ICS and building entertainment districts so their "range" overlaps with a neighboring city.

The Human Crouton posted:

You are supposed to go through a slow population growth from about the late medieval age until you discover neighborhoods. This drought gives Kongo, India, and Rome some nice advantages because of their housing uniques. Other civs have to fight to get one housing at a time with campuses, and barracks and such.

The population, housing, happiness system they have is actually pretty cool. It's about the only things that came out right.

Thanks. I'm talking like early early game though, I've seen my capital cry for housing and amenities before even turn 20. Also I'm extremely bad at these games so that may have something to do with it. Maybe I'm not expanding enough, I've heard that Civ VI is all about going wide... but I have enough trouble keeping track of just a couple of cities :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
as frustrating as barbarians are in civ 6, that usually means that you have to hunt them more hungrily. ofc this'll be easier on lower speeds because of movement::turn granularity. buy rush workers so you can support growth without sacrificing production, they're what keep your civ happy in the extremely early game

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Thanks. I'm talking like early early game though, I've seen my capital cry for housing and amenities before even turn 20.

never settle without fresh water. don't think "i'll build an aqueduct later". settle right on that river or you'll end up far, far behind.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

[GENERAL BALANCE CHANGES]

increased per settler cost bump by 50%

this is completely retarded

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I really don't like any of the scaling costs of settlers/districts/builders.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ratios and Tendency posted:

they honestly have enough 'costs' associated with stealing an entire tile and enough choices/restrictions with regards to placing them strategically that you don't NEED them to increase in costs. you don't NEED them to be that expensive. you shouldn't have to place them asap to 'lock in their cost'. its moronic.

settlers I can understand the scaling costs because thats the way this game limits expansion (same as happiness in 5, maintenance in 4, and corruption in 3/2/1) but its not the best solution. probably the simplest in comparison to the other games, and I guess the best thing I can say about it is that its better than happiness and corruption

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Thanks. I'm talking like early early game though, I've seen my capital cry for housing and amenities before even turn 20. Also I'm extremely bad at these games so that may have something to do with it. Maybe I'm not expanding enough, I've heard that Civ VI is all about going wide... but I have enough trouble keeping track of just a couple of cities :negative:
If not much has changed since release, your capital and indeed everywhere else will repeatedly piss and moan, giving you angry sidebar warnings every turn, even though it's often a few dozen techs before you can address any of those issues productively. Don't worry though since it also barely matters.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

Also, the agendas trigger too early. Gandhi was angry at me for not building enough nuclear weapons in 1200 BC.
This is actually Civilization canon

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The pacing in this game is really the death blow. Everything takes way too long to build and get going.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

H13 posted:

The pacing in this game is really the death blow. Everything takes way too long to build and get going.
See...I don't really have a problem with that because if nothing else I find myself running out of things to build. I think they need to add more techs, more civics, and more units.

The real problems are the combination of AI strategic decision making and Joint Wars.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Your Computer posted:

Barb camps that spawn near a horse resource will do this. It's kinda cool as a little flavour thing, but as you've noticed, it can mean that a bad roll of the dice can lead to you choking on horse dick well before you're ready to deal with it.

Of course, if you let a camp get to the point of spawning a horde you've already hosed up. They'll only do that if the scout they send out spots one of your cities and then walks all the way back to the camp to report- if you can kill the scout before it gets back, or find the camp first, it'll never spawn anything.

You want to be super aggressive with scouting out and clearing camps in the early game. The first thing you build should always be a slinger- I'd try to keep your starting warrior close by, even if it means forgoing scouting (build a scout)- and take the civic that gets you extra combat power against barbs.

This isn't just a good way to keep from getting bushwhacked, it'll also net you three of the early eurekas- Archery, Bronze Working and Military Tradition- and that should be enough to get you over the hump (an archer in a city centre can kill effectively infinite quantities of barbarians).

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Try these:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899716682
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899731651

Constant cost districts work pretty well, I think. Mostly it just means that you can actually build poo poo in the modern era now- my experience with vanilla was that before then the main limiter on district building was the population requirements, and that's unchanged.

Non-scaling costs for units I'm iffier on. At base, a builder costs 200g- which is fairly affordable even early on, and once your income takes off you can poo poo them out more or less at will. Being able to conjure entire armies of apostles out of thin air makes the religious game even worse than it already is.

Crazy Ted posted:

See...I don't really have a problem with that because if nothing else I find myself running out of things to build. I think they need to add more techs, more civics, and more units.

I honestly like how few buildings there are. It- and the district system- makes everything about building up my cities feel much more deliberate and much less fiddly. With previous Civs I always felt like I waist deep in this murky soup of choices, none of which were all that distinct and none of which I really cared about. Now it's- here's your industrial district, it does production poo poo and it has three upgrades, one each for the early, mid and late games. Here's your commercial district, it does gold and trade poo poo and it has three upgrades, one each for the early, mid and late games.

Though I guess this is a preference thing? Personally, my ideal Civ would be one where you spend as little time as possible managing build queues and as much as possible on warfare/diplomacy/empire building.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Autonomous Monster posted:

Barb camps that spawn near a horse resource will do this. It's kinda cool as a little flavour thing, but as you've noticed, it can mean that a bad roll of the dice can lead to you choking on horse dick well before you're ready to deal with it.

Of course, if you let a camp get to the point of spawning a horde you've already hosed up. They'll only do that if the scout they send out spots one of your cities and then walks all the way back to the camp to report- if you can kill the scout before it gets back, or find the camp first, it'll never spawn anything.

You want to be super aggressive with scouting out and clearing camps in the early game. The first thing you build should always be a slinger- I'd try to keep your starting warrior close by, even if it means forgoing scouting (build a scout)- and take the civic that gets you extra combat power against barbs.

This isn't just a good way to keep from getting bushwhacked, it'll also net you three of the early eurekas- Archery, Bronze Working and Military Tradition- and that should be enough to get you over the hump (an archer in a city centre can kill effectively infinite quantities of barbarians).
Wow had no clue about the horse resource bullshit or the whole scout and report back thing. So if that scout never goes back there won’t be a spearman or anything waiting on the barb camp for me?

Also why slingers? The whole 1 range attack thing kinda sucks.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bum the Sad posted:

Wow had no clue about the horse resource bullshit or the whole scout and report back thing. So if that scout never goes back there won’t be a spearman or anything waiting on the barb camp for me?

Also why slingers? The whole 1 range attack thing kinda sucks.

There'll be a garrison unit but it won't spawn a whole army. Slingers aren't spectacular but a) being able to attack without taking retaliation damage is still powerful, b) killing something with a slinger gets you the archery eureka, and c) slingers upgrade to archers for almost nothing, and archers are spectacular.

e: You could go for a warrior instead, but I think they cost more? And you don't get the easy in to archers.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Though I do think that barb camps *can* still spawn additional units even without the scout reporting back. It just won't be that crazy megarush.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The fact that people keep asking how amenities and housing works just shows how obfuscated and unintuitive those systems are.

Why did they get rid of the health system from Civ IV? At least it gave us more items to trade.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

What districts share their bonuses with other cities within 6 tiles? Or has that changed recently?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trivia posted:

The fact that people keep asking how amenities and housing works just shows how obfuscated and unintuitive those systems are.

Why did they get rid of the health system from Civ IV? At least it gave us more items to trade.

Health and housing are essentially the same thing. They are both systems to limit population growth unless you build something to counteract it. The only real difference between them is that, like you said, every mechanic in VI is obfuscated.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trivia posted:

The Human Crouton posted:

Health and housing are essentially the same thing. They are both systems to limit population growth unless you build something to counteract it. The only real difference between them is that, like you said, every mechanic in VI is obfuscated.

To explain them well, you need a few sentences, definitely more than you can put on a tooltip. So where does that go? I agree that they could have made it some pop-up or right-click that you then disable when you feel you understand (and then maybe have to re-enable if you set the game aside for a while, but that's still just a couple clicks). The more cluttered the interface, though, the more forbidding the game is to new people, so you have to be careful. They went the more traditional route of putting the explanations for both amenities and housing in the Civilopedia.

To me it raises a more interesting question about the direction of strategy games as whole: if you (a hypothetical game designer) can't figure out a way to make a mechanism clear and explicit within the UI, should you simply scrap the mechanism and try to come up with something else? People asked how happiness worked in every single other Civ game in the series (as well as how pollution worked, when there was that), and there's nothing more difficult or obfuscated about this one. Is it internet echo chamber producing the idea that these mechanics are more obscure, or have attitudes toward games changed enough that having to go read an explanation within the game is "obfuscation"?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
FYI barbarians that spawn early horse archers are weaker than actual horse archers. An early warrior should be able to handle without a problem.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Huh after a while when I complete research and civics Sean Bean doesn't come up to give me a quote, wonder what happened?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh after a while when I complete research and civics Sean Bean doesn't come up to give me a quote, wonder what happened?

He was killed, obviously

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

homullus posted:

To explain them well, you need a few sentences, definitely more than you can put on a tooltip. So where does that go? I agree that they could have made it some pop-up or right-click that you then disable when you feel you understand (and then maybe have to re-enable if you set the game aside for a while, but that's still just a couple clicks). The more cluttered the interface, though, the more forbidding the game is to new people, so you have to be careful. They went the more traditional route of putting the explanations for both amenities and housing in the Civilopedia.

To me it raises a more interesting question about the direction of strategy games as whole: if you (a hypothetical game designer) can't figure out a way to make a mechanism clear and explicit within the UI, should you simply scrap the mechanism and try to come up with something else? People asked how happiness worked in every single other Civ game in the series (as well as how pollution worked, when there was that), and there's nothing more difficult or obfuscated about this one. Is it internet echo chamber producing the idea that these mechanics are more obscure, or have attitudes toward games changed enough that having to go read an explanation within the game is "obfuscation"?

I think this problem can mostly be fixed with tooltips so the player can at least put together some information, and detective the rest. Right now, if I hover over the housing capacity in the city screen, I get a tooltip that says "HOUSING CAPACITY".

Instead, they could have something like:

code:
Population needs housing to grow. 
Population growth slows down as your population meets your level of housing.
Increase housing with certain improvements, buildings, districts, or by settling near rivers.

Current population growth rate: 50% (4 population / 5.5 housing)

Housing: 
+3 from fresh water(river)
+ 1.5 from farms (.5 housing each)
+ 1 from barracks

(Right-click for Housing civilopedia entry.)
It looks kind of large for a tooptip, but there are some even larger tooltips used in some UI mods, and it really doesn't feel too wordy out of place in actual practice.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 30, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

achillesforever6 posted:

That has happened to me in every game due to some kind of audio desyncing, it's always soon followed by music and then other sound effects until the whole game is silent.

Didn't notice it happening last time I played but I might've just been lucky.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The patch broke Sean Bean.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

The patch broke Sean Bean.

Patch broke a lot of poo poo. Almost all my government legacy bonuses are hosed. I asked about it a few posts ago, and no one responded. Really, really hope it isn't just me.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any news on a hotfix or patch?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

TipTow posted:

Patch broke a lot of poo poo. Almost all my government legacy bonuses are hosed. I asked about it a few posts ago, and no one responded. Really, really hope it isn't just me.

No, it's all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Jastiger posted:

Any news on a hotfix or patch?

hahahaha, oh my dear summer child.

This is the Civ team we're talking about. :sigh: