Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

Each of the kits comes with 24 heads apparently, half helmeted and half bare.

Cool, so spares that can also cover the boxed set dudes. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Artum posted:

If new ork kits ever come out the boss poles are gonna be well stocked.

Despite not playing Orks this was my first thought as well, oddly enough.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just put together a squad of Reivers. Bodies are less posable than I like but the sheer number of head, arm and accessory bits makes up for it.

They're doing me proud right now, having torn a squad of Dire Avengers to shreds and currently chasing their filthy Space Elf friends up the board.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Are you going carbine or combat knife?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Combat Knives this time around, next box will be Carbines for a pair of harassment squads.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Chaos Marines book comes before Death Guard book.

Oh, I was referring to new models. I just figured that the two dark imperium armies were going to get the new stuff first.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Painted my first Plague Marine today. Really like these guys, maybe my 40k Chaos army will finally get off the ground.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Just put together a squad of Reivers. Bodies are less posable than I like but the sheer number of head, arm and accessory bits makes up for it.

I wonder how the the carbines would look in the arms of normal Marines. Would've been a good way to put any extra bits into use.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What is the value (in points, not power) of each of the starter armies from the Dark Imperium box? A rough rounding/estimate is OK

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
With the new point reductions, the marine part is right around 900.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
White Dwarf also advertises a new Ultramarines Primaris upgrade sprue. Similar to the old one with some cool bits but mostly this gives me hopes of similar upgrade sprues for other first founding/popular chapters.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Games Workshop is running a summer campaign. You get points for buying stuff and painting it. :v:

https://warhammer40000.com/fate-konor-galaxy-flames/

Finding swarms miniatures is a pain. There are D&D miniatures like Rot Slugs that would be perfect but they're OOP and expensive as hell. I need hoards of Nurglings, dammit.

The only feasible option I've found is these little alien gribblies and the models are ugly as hell: http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/6mmscifi.html

Edit: comedy option, 35 giant snails for $6:

Ordering some of these, beats the $8 per model Nurglings:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p299805.html

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 29, 2017

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Somebody put a Mk. 6 head on a Reiver and take a picture. Somehow I am not a fan of the WARBOY bandannas.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Somebody put a Mk. 6 head on a Reiver and take a picture. Somehow I am not a fan of the WARBOY bandannas.

I just dry fitted one and it looked a little too small for my tastes sadly. My Raven Guard would have appreciated it

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
For anyone who's built the Primaris Ancient-
I'm looking for an alternate banner for my custodes detachment, is the banner pole modelled with the whole arm attached, or just the hand?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Just the hand

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

JackMack posted:

Just the hand

Killer, thanks.
Banana bois banner that much closer to reality

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've just been dicking around with my new Foldio 360 for 15mins which is total fun and I thought you might like to see the efforts. Not perfect as just getting used to it but still a pretty cool gadget.

Hybrids

Tau Ghostkeel

Imperial Fists

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Got another league game in today - went up to 1250 pts to play Tyranids for the second time. I added 2 basilisks to my Imperial Guard, he took some more Raveners, which he used to deep strike. I absolutely clattered him again, tabling him at the end of turn 3. His army just doesn't have that much staying power, and while he's annihilating a couple of my units in the initial assault, I'm just constantly picking him off. Had good luck as well - his Broodlord charged a Basilisk, and between the heavy flamer and an amazing 3 hits from the cannon, he lost 5 wounds! The other highlight was his mawloc taking 3 lascannon shots to the face like a champ - rolled 3 6s to save and completely shrug off any damage!

I think I may need to tone down my Imperial Guard a bit once the league finishes. I am now 11 straight wins and my friends are really struggling to beat me (except the Ad Mech player definitely seems to have the legs of me in a shooting match). I don't think it's all due to the base rules. They all seem to go for the Conscripts first (which is exactly what I want them to do) and they don't really try to multi-assault a lot, or get units into combat via consolidation.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Serotonin posted:

I just dry fitted one and it looked a little too small for my tastes sadly. My Raven Guard would have appreciated it

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
The new Codex prohibits Land Speeders from taking 2x Heavy Flamer or 2x Multi-Melta on the same model... :sigh:

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The new Codex prohibits Land Speeders from taking 2x Heavy Flamer or 2x Multi-Melta on the same model... :sigh:

So just use the Index datasheet. I don't recall hearing any points or rules changes between the two.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Cyberpope v2 posted:

So just use the Index datasheet. I don't recall hearing any points or rules changes between the two.

Land Speeders are cheaper now. So you have to pay an extra tax to access that wargear setup.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

big_g posted:

I've just been dicking around with my new Foldio 360 for 15mins which is total fun and I thought you might like to see the efforts. Not perfect as just getting used to it but still a pretty cool gadget.

Hybrids

Tau Ghostkeel

Imperial Fists

That is awesome.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Anyone ever played on a non-standard table before? Like, something weirdly shaped or round?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Also, Sergeants can't take Combi-Gravs anymore. They're just missing from the Sergeant Equipment list. Might be an oversight that gets FAQ'd, but might be intentional for some reason.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
TIME TO poo poo BOMBS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM AND I'M ALL OUT OF BIOMASS

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Land Speeders are cheaper now. So you have to pay an extra tax to access that wargear setup.

Please tell me this isn't how that actually works, because that sounds horrendously stupid.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

Please tell me this isn't how that actually works, because that sounds horrendously stupid.

It is. If you want the index options you have to use the index version, points and all. If the load out exists in the codex you have to use the codex version.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The Bee posted:

It is. If you can't use a unit or configuration as outlined in the Codex, you have to default back to the points in the Index.

But the unit does gain access to the special rules in the Codex though, like Chapter Tactics, Stratagems and the like.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
How are people liking the codex?

I was disappointed at first about vehicles not getting tactics, but after seeing the point drops and their awesome stratagems I'm 100% on board.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

chutche2 posted:

I was disappointed at first about vehicles not getting tactics, but after seeing the point drops and their awesome stratagems I'm 100% on board.

Other than the models and options that are missing (that force players to default to the Index for points) the rest of the codex is pretty sweet.

I wanted the Imperial Fists rules to be better, but it's a relatively minor complaint, all things considered.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It is. If you can't use a unit or configuration as outlined in the Codex, you have to default back to the points in the Index.

But the unit does gain access to the special rules in the Codex though, like Chapter Tactics, Stratagems and the like.

I thought this at first too but the codex faq says to use the points of the most recent place the model and wargear appear in, as well as codex special rules, but use the index datasheet

quote:

Don’t worry though, you can still use all of these in your games if you have these older models. In these instances, use the datasheet from the index, and the most recent points published for that model and its weapons (currently, also in the index).

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 29, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I interpret that differently. Since the most recent place to find that unit with those options is the Index, that's the book you need to use. Was also the opinion/interpretation of the local GW store manager, FWIW. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I interpret that differently. Since the most recent place to find that unit with those options is the Index, that's the book you need to use. Was also the opinion/interpretation of the local GW store manager, FWIW. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

I think you are, since it would mean older stuff could never be updated.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
If that was the case they wouldn't have the "currently" bit in there, as it was written before the codex release. They would have just said to use index points. The codex is the most current source for point costs and should be used, except in the case of weapons missing from the codex in which case the index is the most recent.

Surprising no one, GW needs an FAQ for their FAQ

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chutche2 posted:

Vehicles getting tactics means you would never not see Ravan Guard on the table. -2 to hit fliers? gently caress that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So the points for a Speeder, the points for a Heavy Flamer, and the rules for both are all in the codex. But you can't use one via codex, and without a second book people will dispute its very existence.

That is annoyingly roundabout.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think you are, since it would mean older stuff could never be updated.

However, if they wanted to update the older stuff, they could've just added it into the codex.

We interpreted: "most recent points published for that model and its weapons" to mean that model combined with those weapons. Which would make the last place that they were available together, the index. But again, I'm sure there'll be a clarification from GW that is clearer than the current wording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I shamelessly stole Beer4theBeerGods idea and I'm running another Chapter Challenge on my instagram.

I'm also giving away an Anniversary Captain as well, so if you wanted one and can't get one, here's your chance!

All the details are on my instagram page.