Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I quite liked The Next Doctor, as a Davies episode. It's a bit of a meta joke because everyone knew Tennant was leaving but didn't know who was going to replace him, and I liked Davies making an episode out of basically that. I don't really remember much about the plot, but I liked the gags about the sonic screwdriver and hot air balloon, and the ending where the Doctor finally sticks around for Christmas dinner. I might rewatch it because I'm sure I remember the villain being a radical feminist, but surely not, they'd have gotten crucified

Yeah, I just watched The Next Doctor recently, and I really enjoyed it. David Morrissey is so much fun as "the Doctor" and the Cybermen are wonderful jerks. The plot, such as it is, is completely ridiculous but in the best possible way, and if you can't enjoy a completely unnecessary giant robot in Victorian London then I don't even want to talk to you.

One of the villains could be read as an unfortunate caricature of a Victorian-era feminist, but I don't think she comes off that badly. If anything she's presented as an extremely credible and smart enemy. I can certainly see it striking people the wrong way, though, and there's definitely ways her character and role in the story could have been improved.

As for Planet of the Dead...as I've said before I don't hate Planet of the Dead because that would require forming any sort of emotional reaction to it at all, and it seems impervious to even that level of engagement. It's a bit like staring at some vaguely Doctor Who-themed wallpaper for an hour and a half.

I suppose it's indirectly responsible for the character of Osgood though. (I think she's meant to be the niece of that one UNIT scientist or something.) So there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

Dare I ask people's opinions on The Next Doctor, which I saw for the first time about a month ago and enjoyed as well?

It's a really fun episode that I found very enjoyable.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
E: on second though, I like the thread's current approach better.

I liked the meta-teasing approach to The Next Doctor, but t man that whole Cyber King thing had all the RTD things—it seemed to work backwards from "giant cyberman destroying London like Godzilla! Hell yeah!" without caring much what it hurt to get there.

Loved the screwdriver gag though.

pgroce fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 29, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Don't doxx me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's also completely reasonable to acknowledge that something has a lot of flaws but that you don't care a bit about those flaws and enjoy it anyway. (Me, when talking about The End Of Time, for example.)

Not everything needs to be an argument. We're not a debate club, no one's going to win the Doctor Who Thread, we're just a bunch of people who enjoy (or don't, but still like talking about) a television show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

docbeard posted:

It's also completely reasonable to acknowledge that something has a lot of flaws but that you don't care a bit about those flaws and enjoy it anyway. (Me, when talking about The End Of Time, for example.)

Not everything needs to be an argument. We're not a debate club, no one's going to win the Doctor Who Thread, we're just a bunch of people who enjoy (or don't, but still like talking about) a television show.

Your Mennonite pacifism disgusts me.

:3:

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Jerusalem posted:

- Lady Christina is a terrible, terrible character who the show attempts to draw a false equivalency with the Doctor - she has no depth, is morally repugnant and doesn't learn or grow in any across the course of the episode, and is then rewarded for her callous greed with a flying bus so she can go commit more crimes. This is somebody who steals national treasures to keep purely for her self because she's "bored" and thinks she deserves them more than the public deserves to have access to them - she's basically one of those greedy fucks who buy/order stolen art for their private collections, only we're supposed to see that as a fun and good thing akin to the Doctor stealing the TARDIS.
- There is the appallingly badly written (bordering on racist) old psychic woman who exists only to shoehorn in the "He Will Knock Four Times" arc.
- Lee Evans is awful
- The Doctor's big idea for the two survivors who have discussed their aimless lives is to toss them in to be redshirts in UNIT.
- They crank up the "ISN'T THE DOCTOR WONDERFUL :swoon:" stuff to the max, in a way the RTD seasons was often guilty of, in a way that Moffat also gets criticized for despite being nowhere near as bad.
- The barest hint of something different/fun is quickly sidelined. Christina takes control of the group as the "natural leader" and the Doctor is bemused enough to sit back and let her run things... except he then proceeds to just run everything/handle the group entirely on his own while Christina just follows him around doing what he says.

Now to be fair, the location LOOKS great and there are some neat ideas in there, such as the metal stingrays who feed on a planet, generate a portal and jump to the next point in space; or the fly aliens who need a translator to understand humans rather than the other way around, or the Doctor revealing he also speaks thousands (millions?) of languages even without the TARDIS translating for him etc. Other than that it's mostly just awful though.

While I agree with all of this, I think it gives the mistaken impression that anything actually happens in this episode. Which doesn't. Nothing happens. Despite it being about 6 and a half hours long.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One review of Planet Of The Dead pointed out something which redeemed it to me a little bit: it's basically a series opener, with Michelle Ryan as the companion, but at the end of the episode when he would normally invite her to travel with him, instead he turns her down and the series doesn't happen.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

2house2fly posted:

One review of Planet Of The Dead pointed out something which redeemed it to me a little bit: it's basically a series opener, with Michelle Ryan as the companion, but at the end of the episode when he would normally invite her to travel with him, instead he turns her down and the series doesn't happen.

It's like a season opener stretched out to feature length for no reason

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

Blame the fact I think differently than most people and don't go out of my way to look for the bad in everything

This needs to be mentioned, since it's not part of the OP any more:

The First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom posted:

No fans will ever be able to substantively agree on an episode/Doctor/companion/whatever's qualities or lack thereof.
Corollary: Therefore, every opinion, no matter how incomprehensible you may find it personally, is held by someone.

The corollary is my own addition, but I feel it's a necessary thing to spell out. This is a very broad franchise - lots of people are guaranteed to hate something you like, and you're going to loathe something lots of people adore.

This is a series with flaws, always has been, and always will be. A big part of being a fan is knowing which are going to bother you, and which you'll accept. The same goes for the aspects that you do like, as well as your own internal calculus for balancing it out. For my part, I'll go to bat for all twelve (no sir, all thirteen!) serials of seasons 20-21, even Warriors of the Deep for chrissake, because the underlying themes of that era resonate with me and the kind of storytelling I connect with.

In general, treating criticism as a personal attack is going to keep you from engaging with media of any kind, but with Doctor Who, it will make communication with other fans impossible.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The thought occurs that using one of the Osgoods as a companion would work really well with a female doctor, add in some eye candy for the teenage girls and most people would be happy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked "The Next Doctor" but didn't really like any of the specials from the following year. Even "Waters of Mars", which most people liked, wasn't great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I didn't really like Waters of Mars, except for the Doctor going all 'I DO WHAT I WANT' and instantly getting slapped down by the universe. It's even funnier when you remember the Master deliberately built a paradox machine to tell the laws of time to go gently caress themselves and got away with it for like a year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when it came out, that bit came off as sort of abrupt. I appreciated the idea but it felt like it was tacked on at the end because they didn't know how to end the episode.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In the alternate reality where we got one last full season of Tennant and Waters of Mars was the midseason finale, it could have worked as a prelude to seeing him get bolder with Time Lord Victorious and getting slapped down hard a few times.

As it was, I found it to be an average episode that neither earned its big dramatic moment nor resolved it especially well. Lindsay Duncan was very good, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Your Mennonite pacifism disgusts me.

:3:

Look I am just saying that the Doctor would absolutely pull a Dalek out of a freezing river if it were chasing him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

Look I am just saying that the Doctor would absolutely pull a Dalek out of a freezing river if it were chasing him.

christopher eccleston doctor would just laugh and say FANTASTIC

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

peter troughton would play a flute at it

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ok planet of the dead time. Opening scene shows a dastardly thief, leaving her lover to be caught by the police. I hope she gets her just deserts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Colin Baker would do whatever was most unfulfilling and disappointing to the viewer in that situation

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Inspired by all this talk I too just watched the Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead. Next Doctor was okay; felt like a run of the mill Doctor runs everywhere and saves the day with some CGI effect from a deus ex machina box. I liked David Morrissey a lot tho, he gave it some welly.

Planet of the Dead was perfectly described as Doctor Who brand wallpaper. A nothing of an episode. Nice to see Tealeaf cropping up in Who though.

Right now I'm watching the End of Time and it's amazing how much RTD's writing gets raised up to the skies by Bernard Cribbins. His and David's chats are the highlights of RTD's entire run imo.

"Don't you see? You need her, Doctor. I mean, look, wouldn't she make you laugh again? Good ol' Donna."

Ten tears up. Plavski tries not to as well.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 29, 2017

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Colin Baker would do whatever was most unfulfilling and disappointing to the viewer in that situation

Lol

I actually started rewatching the revival because my plan to finally watch all of Colin Baker failed. Couldn't get through Trial of a Time Lord. I'd rather watch the worst of Tennent's era.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

marktheando posted:

I hope she gets her just deserts.

You did this on purpose, didn't you? Don't think you can just do these sorts of things.

docbeard posted:

In the alternate reality where we got one last full season of Tennant and Waters of Mars was the midseason finale, it could have worked as a prelude to seeing him get bolder with Time Lord Victorious and getting slapped down hard a few times.

My preferred way to explore this would be for the Doctor to get away with it for a while, then get called on it (positively) by the Master, which brings the Doctor to themself.

E: I have to think about pronouns these days. #21stcenturydoctorwho

pgroce fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 29, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Planet of the Dead is what happens when, given the option of bad Who or no Who, the former is chosen.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Planet of the Dead is what happens when, given the option of bad Who or no Who, the former is chosen.
At least it gives us something to talk about in the vast dry desert that is the Hiatus

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pgroce posted:

You did this on purpose, didn't you? Don't think you can just do these sorts of things.

Haha yes I have watched this before. The fly aliens are the best thing about the episode, and they are just kind of ok.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Vinylshadow posted:

At least it gives us something to talk about in the vast dry desert that is the Hiatus

When in doubt, endlessly re-evaluate RTD's era.

For the next hiatus, we'll be re-evaluating the poo poo out of Moffat's.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Would you rather have 18 months or is that to long to wait?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've been going through the Seventh Doctor era stuff, and I've gotta say, I like the one where he takes a cruise vacation to Mexico with Benny and Jamie :v:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've been going through the Seventh Doctor era stuff, and I've gotta say, I like the one where he takes a cruise vacation to Mexico with Benny and Jamie :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Waters of Mars is good except for the stupid cuts to space Wikipedia and the stupid robot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pesky Splinter posted:

Three people have writing credits on that. Three.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I love how Sylvester doesn't even pretend to give half a poo poo about the whole thing and is obviously making up most of his lines on the spot.

He's been in a good number of utterly lovely fan films, actually. Bunch of Ian Levine stuff too, of course:

(I'm pretty sure he wore crocs as a part of his costume in this one)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

After The War posted:

For my part, I'll go to bat for all twelve (no sir, all thirteen!) serials of seasons 20-21, even Warriors of the Deep for chrissake, because the underlying themes of that era resonate with me and the kind of storytelling I connect with.

Even "The Twin Dilemma?" Because, yow, that one is ROUGH.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Waters of Mars is good except for the stupid cuts to space Wikipedia and the stupid robot.

"Waters" was the also the one they used for that year's contractually-obligated (or however it's supposed to work) Dalek scene, by showing that the Daleks can instinctively sense when someone is so important to the timestream so they know not to exterminate them. Which to me feels a bit like the story Marvel put out years ago that Bruce Banner's subconscious intellect calculates vectors and trajectories and so on so the Hulk has never actually killed anyone when he goes about smashing stuff up.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Waters of Mars feels like it's close to being a really good episode, but doesn't quite get there. It's just a normalish level of good. Though compared to Planet of the Dead it feels like a masterpiece.

Edit- on to The End of Time. It's such a stupid mess, it's great. Another terrible episode I hated at the time but now find hilarious. Really the sensible thing to do would be making Stolen Earth/Journey's end the regeneration story rather than limping on with these specials.

But then we wouldn't have Timothy Dalton spraying spit everywhere as Rassilon, or homeless superjumping chicken eating Master, and that would be a crime.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 30, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
End Of Time is cool because it gets the really bad stuff out of the way in the first half and the second half is fairly strong. And really its weaknesses are easy enough to forgive because they all lead to the "four knocks" scene, which is still my favourite regeneration-inciting situation in the new series

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Doctor's relief at realizing he survived everything, and then his face as he hears Wilf knocking.... goddamn that's some good stuff.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Haha the Obama stuff is so embarrassing.

I loving love the stupid Time Lord headgear, I'm so glad they kept it for the revival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lady doctor???!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLF0Sqefcb0

• Locked thread