Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

For Open World RPG, I've always heard Gothic is good, especially Gothic 2. Definitely older, I haven't got around to playing it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Anyone in here have thoughts on it?

Gothic 2 is still a lot of fun, but the controls take a long time to get used to. Environments are more detailed than current open world games, as everything is hand placed. There's secrets and poo poo hidden EVERYWHERE, so exploration is pretty rewarding. The voice acting is what you would expect from a quirky german developer.

There's no level scaling and higher level monsters will destroy you in the beginning, which oddly makes it feel a bit like how MMO's play at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mordiceius posted:

Recommend a PS4 game for my wife. She's looking for a relaxing, chill experience. She's PMSing right now, so she doesn't want to think that much about anything and wants to just mindlessly enjoy a game. Some of her favorite games are Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing - so something preferably cute and chill. She was looking into Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles, but apparently that game is incredibly shallow/boring?

DragonQuest Builders is a lot of fun. It's a Minecraft clone but it's much easier than Minecraft and also prettier. There are some bosses at the end of chapters, but they aren't too hard. I really enjoyed it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eela6 posted:

Teleglitch is an aesthetic triumph, in my opinion. In screenshots it looks ugly as sin, and it is. But in motion it's grotesquely beautiful. It's the only game I've ever played that hits the same button for me as harsh, abstract techno, like Jam City or shxcxchcxs.

The way gunfire makes the lighting strobe and the 'crt' ghost out as the viewpoint spins around you is fantastic.

It's actually the exact opposite of 'organic' feeling - it's deliberately alienating and artificial, low-fi to the point of almost complete abstraction. It's so drat cool though.

on the other hand when a game shouts in my face that it doesn't want me to play it, i'm inclined to oblige

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

on the other hand when a game shouts in my face that it doesn't want me to play it, i'm inclined to oblige

I don't understand what you mean.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I kinda dug Teleglitch but holding down right mouse forever is like RSI kryptonite for me. Was there a controller version of it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lorini posted:

DragonQuest Builders is a lot of fun. It's a Minecraft clone but it's much easier than Minecraft and also prettier. There are some bosses at the end of chapters, but they aren't too hard. I really enjoyed it.

She actually had already played that. She ended up just getting Yonder after all. Game seems alright, if incredibly shallow.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

For Open World RPG, I've always heard Gothic is good, especially Gothic 2. Definitely older, I haven't got around to playing it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Anyone in here have thoughts on it?

Gothic owns. Gothic one is extremely frustrating control-wise, especially compared to more modern streamlined games like the Witcher. The combat is unforgiving, the classes aren't balanced and you really have to power-game, or "exploit" to get anything done early on. That said, if you can figure out the mechanics, and aren't afraid to exploit the AI to get ahead, by the end of the game, you really "feel" powerful and the journey there is pretty fun.

I'd suggest you start with Gothic 2 though. It's not as janky, but still has the same feel to it. It's a great game with lots of ways to solve the quests and almost always, the most direct approach is the wrong one. If you like gothic 2 then go for the original, you'll appreciate it a lot more.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mordiceius posted:

She actually had already played that. She ended up just getting Yonder after all. Game seems alright, if incredibly shallow.

What about Everything? It's pretty chill but there's no win state or anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eela6 posted:

I don't understand what you mean.

teleglitch isn't just ugly, it's physically painful to look at and hard to read what's going on on the screen

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
OK, I see what you're getting at. Teleglitch is an extreme game that tries to be alienating, harsh, and ugly. As such, I can't blame anyone for being pushed away. I happen to think it works for Teleglitch - the ugliness is purposeful. It means you have to dial in completely to parse the game. You can die at any second to something you can barely see. This sounds like the worst game design ever, but it has a purpose - to give the player a sense of dread, to ratchet up the tension. To play the game at all, you have to be on constant alert. Totally wired in. This can be draining but I find it exhilarating.

It's a very deliberately designed game, and the art style is so much more than just 'ugly faux-retro'. I guess I just wish it had more recognition. There's nothing quite like Teleglitch.

But if you don't like it you don't like it. There's a good reason most games don't look like Teleglitch.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's also literally NOT physically painful to look at, unless you like to stab yourself in the eyes while playing it, which isn't the developer's but your own fault

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My nephew is turning 5 soon, and I've made a RetroPie for him. Which games should I put on it that won't beat his rear end too hard? He's never tried any consoles before.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Boz0r posted:

My nephew is turning 5 soon, and I've made a RetroPie for him. Which games should I put on it that won't beat his rear end too hard? He's never tried any consoles before.

Battletoads

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Boz0r posted:

Castlevania 2.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Boz0r posted:

Street Fighter 2010

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Boz0r posted:

Ducktales 2 for the NES because that's what I played and loved when I was 5

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Boz0r posted:

Contra with 30 lives code, Life Force with 30 lives code, Kirby's Adventure, Bubble Bobble, Zelda.

This may have been a joke but as long as you're willing to show him where to kneel to make the water go down and to get taken away by the tornado, yeah, the rest is very playable to a kid. It's a lot less frustrating than Castlevania 1 and 3. Proof: Myself loving it at age 6.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 27, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Metroid, Mario 1–3, Megaman

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Boz0r posted:

Kirby games are a good choice. They were deliberately designed as platformers that would be accessible to children (that's why he can fly!) Kirby 3 or Super Star are both good choices.

Super Mario World was my introduction to video games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Boz0r posted:

My girlfriend's 5 year old son looooooves all the Lego superhero games and they're more or less impossible to fail in, they're not as old as most games you'd run on a RetroPie but the earlier ones have super low requirements and might work. Lego Batman 1 should run on the Pi 3 at least.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 28, 2017

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
Seconding Lego superhero games. My son loves them and the lotr one.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Good suggestions all around. I don't know if I can get the Lego games running on the Pi, and I only have SNES controllers. I don't know if those are cool to play 3D games with.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I can imagine him completing Battletoads as his first video game and then complaining about every other game being too easy.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished Fallout 4 with the Brotherhood of Steel and am now looking for a new RPG or jRPG to play. Something big with lots of adventure and exploration but maybe a bit more...pastoral/fantasy-based? I'm kind of burnt out on excessive violence with all the human experimentation, torture and whatnot that Fallout 4 had.

I'm able to play anything on older consoles up to and including PSX or games from any era on PC up to the present; pretty broad so feel free to recommend some of your favorites.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well your criteria is pretty broad so anything is up for recommendation. I would suggest Oblivion even though many TES fans consider it bad imo it has way more charm/fun than Skyrim. The world still looks good and with mods its even better. The only thing I would say to avoid is doing the Oblivion Gates which are a chore until you feel like you can easily defeat most enemies in the game and get a mod for the faces(horrible faces design). Shivering Isle DLC is also probably one of the best DLCS ever. Feels more like a fan made mod than a developer DLC.

I will also recommend a JRPG. Eternal Sonata. Its got a really cool premise, save the world in Chopin's dream as he is dying with Chopin as a party member. Its only out on 360/PS3 and copies might be hard to find. I have neither of those consoles now so I don't know how readily available this game might be. It has amazing visuals/sound design and the combat is a mix of active/turn based.

If you can't play that, I would recommend FF13 which is ultimately a flawed game but still is fun and the combat is probably the best in the series. It just takes until the latter half of the game for the combat to really become complex instead of just spamming auto battle.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Ulio posted:

If you can't play that, I would recommend FF13 which is ultimately a flawed game but still is fun and the combat is probably the best in the series. It just takes until the latter half of the game for the combat to really become complex instead of just spamming auto battle.

I actually have Steam versions of all 3 titles installed and ready to play so I'll go with this. It's been years since I've played a FF title and I never did get around to trying 13. Thanks!

Brainamp posted:

Tales of Berseria, Legend of Heroes: Tales in the Sky, Radiata Stories, Grim Grimoire.

I'll put Legend of Heroes on my list as well. Thanks!

Jive One fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 29, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jive One posted:

Just finished Fallout 4 with the Brotherhood of Steel and am now looking for a new RPG or jRPG to play. Something big with lots of adventure and exploration but maybe a bit more...pastoral/fantasy-based? I'm kind of burnt out on excessive violence with all the human experimentation, torture and whatnot that Fallout 4 had.

I'm able to play anything on older consoles up to and including PSX or games from any era on PC up to the present; pretty broad so feel free to recommend some of your favorites.

Tales of Berseria, Legend of Heroes: Tales in the Sky, Radiata Stories, Grim Grimoire.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
FF13 is a straight line for over 25 hours before it opens up. If you want exploration it is maybe the worst possible game to suggest.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Jive One posted:

Trails in the Sky 1-3 is one big huge fantasy adventure. It's probably more of a 1st industrial revolution/steampunk kind of fantasy but it's my favorite jrpg series of all time. Some complaints can be that it's a bit slow to get started but that didn't bother me at all.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jive One posted:

What RPGs/JRPGs do you like and don't like? Until then I recommend Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden. And I cast a derecommend vote for FF13, the worst Final Fantasy. FF15 would be a better choice. Going on a road trip, having characters joking around the whole time, not taking anything too serious sounds like the opposite of how you described Fallout 4.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Ulio posted:

Shivering Isle DLC is also probably one of the best DLCS ever. Feels more like a fan made mod than a developer DLC.

I'm curious what mods you have in mind because developer DLC is often my favourite part of the games (mass effect, dark souls, new vegas, witcher 3 come to mind) and I usually find big fan mods underwhelming.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Divinity: Original Sin is pretty good if you're looking for a modernized Diablo clone with weird half-Xcom combat.

It's unique enough that there is no exact approximation as to what it is, like you can't just say "Diablo clone" because the mindless clicking ends at the combat, but the combat isn't grid based or anything.

Oh, and the engine/setup for the game is really good. I've found myself wandering off the path and messing around with the physics system that was introduced at the beginning of the game.

e;

hampig posted:

I'm curious what mods you have in mind because developer DLC is often my favourite part of the games (mass effect, dark souls, new vegas, witcher 3 come to mind) and I usually find big fan mods underwhelming.

Never bought and played the ME+Witcher DLC because I'm not a sucker, Souls DLC is perfectly done in terms of what a modern DLC should be (plus their consistently fuzzy exposition makes it fun to find where the DLC is even supposed to be at in the first place).

But Dead Money and Old World Blues are the best NV DLCs :colbert:

weak wrists big dick fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 29, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

weak wrists big dick posted:

Divinity: Original Sin is pretty good if you're looking for a modernized Diablo clone with weird half-Xcom combat.

It's unique enough that there is no exact approximation as to what it is, like you can't just say "Diablo clone" because the mindless clicking ends at the combat, but the combat isn't grid based or anything.

Oh, and the engine/setup for the game is really good. I've found myself wandering off the path and messing around with the physics system that was introduced at the beginning of the game.

It's fairly standard oldschool CRPG style combat, like old Fallout 1/2 but with more focus on elemental effects. It's nothing like Diablo or XCom?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

-lots of loot for you to click on

-topdown tactical squad-based combat

I will put more efforts into my future 8am pre coffee videogame postings, forgive me

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?

e;

Never bought and played the ME+Witcher DLC because I'm not a sucker, Souls DLC is perfectly done in terms of what a modern DLC should be (plus their consistently fuzzy exposition makes it fun to find where the DLC is even supposed to be at in the first place).

Witcher 3 dlc was actually better than most game dlc to be fair. I got it on a steam sale but it wouldn't have regretted paying full price when it released.

One of the very few dlc purchases I don't regret.

Edit: I have never played a souls game at all though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eela6 posted:

FF13 is a straight line for over 25 hours before it opens up. If you want exploration it is maybe the worst possible game to suggest.

Ya I definitely agree with that. There is like 1 big area towards the end part of it but even that is not true OPEN world/sandbox. Since you can't really go back to older places. I just think the combat is really good especially in the open world area and some of the side missions are harder than the last boss.

Also the plot of ff13 sounds like some fanfic writer who wanted to write something ultra complex and deep but it comes out unintelligible. Still its a fun ride since there is minimal grinding. I don't know about the sequels though they might have improved those aspects.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

e;

But ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker and ME3's Citadel party DLC's were the best part of the entire series.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I would like a game to put on my new android phone. It's my first smartphone so I've never done mobile gaming.

I think I'd enjoy a strategy RPG the most, and I saw FFT (one of my favorite games of all time) has a port, but lots of reviews on the play store says it crashes a lot and you can't save/quit during battles. I'm also wary of it since it's based on the PSP version which was unplayable without a fanpatch to remove the slowdown.

Anything else like it? Japanese or western - either is fine, but I'd prefer fantasy or military (I loved the Advance Wars games on GBA), and paid rather than f2p. I'm willing to consider alternatives if they're highly regarded.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Are there any first person Diablo clones out there, which is to say slaughtering hordes of enemies in the hopes of forcing randomized loot to drop so that you can hit the RNG jackpot?

Borderlands fits pretty well, and then maybe Vermintide (which seemed like more of a LFD clone with random loot elements than a diablo clone). Is there anything else worth looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Destiny?