Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

:smugdon: :wrong:

I've only been on Div 3 rosters.

I don't think there is really any actual rule for goalies, but I don't think too many goalies want to sub down more than a few divisions.

Oh poo poo, yeah, I just realized I'm confusing you with another old teammate whose team bumped up a div this season :doh:

As to point 2: yeah our league doesn't give a poo poo as to which goalie goes where since we're constantly short on you pillow-wearers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

did he jerk off all over the other team's bench again? don't leave us hanging.

lol no. The jerking off isn't my team, I think that was Thufir.

Thufir posted:

Last night he scored 3 goals in three shifts, pretending to jack off on the opposing bench after each goal.

We do have a kid on our team that is on that level though. He's 19 or 20 and acts like a moron, mostly just annoying as gently caress. He puts up a lot of points because he's fast and gets a lot of breakaways but also has zero control over his skating or emotions and guess what ... 20 year old kids get really emotional during hockey so he sits in the box a lot. He has also done some pretty egregious celebrations to the point of drawing unsportsmanlike penalties as a result. Come to think of it, he has to have jerked off towards the opponents box at some point. Some that stick out were his first goal on our team, he skates full speed and supermanned across center ice. Another was tossing his glove up and using his stick to shoot it down. He's also pumped and shot his stick. They would be funny if that was his intention.

If I could remove 2-3 players from my team I would be happy as a pig in poo poo.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 26, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Our summer drop-ins have been so empty that for the past month, we've had 3 on 3 cross ice with one sub up until this past Monday night where one of the guys brought his teenaged son to skate.

So that time we played 3 on 3 full ice with one sub.

The summer league has conveniently scheduled the teams that also play in our drop-ins every Monday night.

Things are going to feel really crowded on the ice once the fall league starts up and we play 5 on 5.

With one sub.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So do they just no longer make replacement helmet pads anymore? The ones on my helmet are completely frayed and the adhesive is coming off but I can't for the life of me find replacements. Everywhere seems to be sold out and one of the guys at a local shop told me manufacturers just aren't making them anymore.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The same reason you can't easily replace your iPhone's battery. They want you to buy a new one every 1-2 years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Certification by the equipment safety folks expires at 6.5 years, so whether it's planned obsolescence or an actual safety concern they certainly want you to buy all new gear every so often.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I had my most beerleager moment last night.

Get done with a decent group skate at Edina (their highschool program is the Yankees of highschool hockey in MN) and 2 kids pop their head in the locker room. Hey we need a goalie....can you skate again? "Sure kid, right after I finish this beer" thinking I'd be one of 4 goalies there, usually there's 6. I walk out of the locker room and see there's one other goalie so I get to do a full highschool practice at age 34 after having forgot my water bottle for the earlier skate and no other keeps to swap mid drill for a breather. Got a big thanks from former Northstars Curt Giles and Gordie Roberts and made some big saves in the scrimmage so overall a blast, just wish I had a pedialyte instead of that beer.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Our hotel was like a half-mile from Hockey Giant. Stopped in one day to buy new skates and they didn't have anything in a size 7. What the poo poo.

I had my rink order me some Supreme S170s yesterday. Called me back today to tell me they won't get them until September.

Looks like I'll have to order them online and forego free baking and first sharpening.

:sigh:

Hockey Monkey is far better then Giant and is (you left so I guess was?) close. And to throw it in there Goalie Monkey is not far either, in Santa Ana but just inside Santa Ana so you probably won't die of gang violence.

There is a rink about a 1/2 - 3/4 mile from Hockey Giant called KHS. You probably could have gotten more pick up in then Anaheim.

I live much closer to Anaheim then Lakewood but have played at all the local rinks but haven't played at any of the northern rinks in years.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Our hotel was like a half-mile from Hockey Giant. Stopped in one day to buy new skates and they didn't have anything in a size 7. What the poo poo.

I had my rink order me some Supreme S170s yesterday. Called me back today to tell me they won't get them until September.

Looks like I'll have to order them online and forego free baking and first sharpening.

:sigh:

You can't wait a month to save $50?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You can't wait a month to save $50?

6 weeks stripes :colbert:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

6 weeks stripes :colbert:

I live my life in 2-5 minute increments

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I've been playing for around 25 years or so, never really got to a high level so I had never been in a league that allowed it but this week I had my first ever, legit, drop the gloves, face punching hockey fight. Not that I am playing in a league that allows it now but as most guys realize a fight is not really worth getting suspended and fined in a league that you're paying to be in so I've never gone all the way. Most of the "fighting" majors in my league are usually some hot head losing his cool and flipping out on somebody and punching them a few times and getting tossed. Real heat of the moment stuff. This was a little bit different.

First, the two of us get matching double minors which, as he was putting me in the box, the ref said I probably shouldn't have gotten anything or at least not a double minor but he was like trying to appease the other team by matching us which I was kind of like what the gently caress but I just let it go and get in the box. All it was, this kid for some reason was like trying to take me down as I skated by him. For no reason that I could figure out he just started like hooking me and grabbing me and trying to pull me down and I was just fighting off his advances and then eventually he dropped his stick and grabbed my cage and took me to the ice. There's the matching double minor. So we're in the box and he's calling me a loser and I'm asking what his problem is, why he plays like such a dick every week (this player is a notorious blatant penalty taker and cheap shot guy) and eventually he says when the penalty time is up we can settle this if you want. I've seen this kid back out of many fights when it has been offered to him so I call his bluff. Sure lets go.

We sit there in silence for rest of the time, and since it was a matching penalty with 5 on 5 on the ice we have to wait for a whistle to get out of the box. By now the two teams who are playing after us have gotten word there is a potential situation about to happen and they are all watching too. The whistle blows and as we're getting out of the box it looks like he is just going to skate over to his bench. I've had enough of his poo poo and I wanted him to either come over and do it or back out of it in front of essentially the whole league, so I yelled over, are we gonna do this or what? He turned back, skated over and dropped his gloves. I swear it was like the final scene in the movie Goon if you've ever seen it. I took my gloves off, we casually removed our own helmets, I took my glasses off and tucked them away inside my helmet and we squared up right at center ice.

I drastically underestimated my inability to see without glasses. I literally didn't see the first punch coming. First punch right to the top of the eye along the orbital bone, split me open like an egg. Blood pouring out like a faucet. Second punch right in the nose and I decided I better get in closer so I could see what the gently caress was going on. I get him by the front of his jersey and start with those jersey hold upper cut jabs and then went over the top and landed a good hard right to his face. He pulled me in real tight after that and just kind of tackled me to the ice and that was it. We even shook hands after.

I would say that I probably lost the fight since I got cut and taken down but I have to say, it was fun. It is not something I'm looking for every week, or probably ever again in my beer league career, but even though I got 8 stitches in my face it wasn't the worst night of hockey I've ever had. To top it off the ref (who must really dislike this kid as much as players dislike playing against him) gave him a fighting major and me a roughing penalty so he would get suspended and I wouldn't. I can't say I agree with that since we were both willing participants and it was a real fight not some lame wrestling match but I guess it goes to show that respecting the refs will help you out here and there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's a drat good first punch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Probably? dude you got tagged from the jump

Way to be a good sport and all but you got worked. Most fights don't ever see a punch that good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I try not to fight in my league because there are a few ex pros who would turn my face into pudding. A league is actually much chiller than our b league. A league is summer only and higher talent level. My experience tends to be the higher the skill level of players the more relaxed the league. Nobody wants to fight or goon it up when many have played long enough to get that out of their system.

Our b league runs the rest of the year and has less good players and it is definitely decidedly more violent.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

sellouts posted:

Probably? dude you got tagged from the jump

Way to be a good sport and all but you got worked. Most fights don't ever see a punch that good.

Hey I'm just trying to make myself feel a little bit better about getting tagged up. Also sorry about that picture I didn't realize it was sideways and kinda big and I don't know how to fix an attached image.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hey man you came out of that attitude wise way better than any fight I've seen so that's a good thing

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
this is the real reason to wear contacts when you play

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
a good hockey fight

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

But seriously, if you got the cash, get LASIK. It's life-changing.

Honestly have no idea how people play with glasses. I had to do it twice when I was going through my LASIK lead-up (no contacts allowed for X weeks prior) and it was the absolute worst.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

this is the real reason to wear contacts when you play

they would have been knocked out of his eyes by the first punch it sounds like

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Honestly have no idea how people play with glasses. I had to do it twice when I was going through my LASIK lead-up (no contacts allowed for X weeks prior) and it was the absolute worst.

LASIK is rad. If you wear expensive daily contacts or something it might even pay for itself eventually. Also I think you can pay for it with tax-free FSA funds if you are not dumb like me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my new bag. RIP old lovely Tackla bag that couldn't close anymore.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

What sort of mad max leagues do yall play in :stonk:

e: also, does anyone have a league recommendation in Syracuse?

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 30, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

they would have been knocked out of his eyes by the first punch it sounds like

he would've seen it coming and done a sweet duck followed by a swift uppercut

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How rude do you think it would be to just spritz some Febreze on the guy next to you on the bench at drop-in?

this poo poo last night was a borderline war crime.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
An old teammate smelled like rancid balsamic vinegar. All of his white gear looked like it was bathed in tea.

People need to not be loving cavemen and just clean their poo poo once in a while.
Bhai
"Holy poo poo dude, you smell like a homeless man's sweaty balls" is the worst thing I've ever said to a guy at drop in. I refused to sit by him.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

LASIK is rad. If you wear expensive daily contacts or something it might even pay for itself eventually. Also I think you can pay for it with tax-free FSA funds if you are not dumb like me.

You can also pay for it with an HSA if you're a single dude on a high-deductible plan. Shits worth it regardless. The smell of burning eyeball is a small price to pay for being able to see the alarm clock in the middle of the night.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

That would be the dream. Somebody, in this thread I think, mentioned using the flex spending account on their heath insurance plan to save up for it since I think you can add to those pre-tax right? Anyway that is probably how I'm going to try and do it. I've been playing with glasses since I was in pee-wees probably and I'm 34 now so I'm just used to it. Doesn't really bother me to need them, except when trying to not get punched in the face.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
In one shift last night I had two times where I thought I played the one-one-one pretty well and kept the gap distance controlled and got a piece of the puck, but just couldn't quite fully get it off their stick, only to have them get off a wet fart of a shot...and see it slide past the goalie and in. :negative:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of wet fart goals, this time next week I'll be in Deerwood, MN for the advanced adult Heartland hockey camp as a goalie to get some final instruction in how not to suck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

advanced huh

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I'm going to get my poo poo kicked in, might as well be against good players.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I spent a week at a Heartland youth camp back in 2000. It was a lousy experience but the adult camps seem to be much better. My uncle did an adult camp there around the same time period and loved it.

Fun fact: the main building and dormitory was a former sanitaruim, and there was a room in the basement where an electric chair once sat. The mounting bolts were still on the floor.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 31, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that where Crosby had his concussion treated?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

I spent a week at a Heartland youth camp back in 2000. It was a lousy experience but the adult camps seem to be much better. My uncle did an adult camp there around the same time period and loved it.

Fun fact: the main building and dormitory was a former sanitaruim, and there was a room in the basement where an electric chair once sat. The mounting bolts were still on the floor.

I almost went to Heartland that summer. I went to Peak Performance instead.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
had a girl last night who's maybe 5'0" on skates crosscheck me in the back in front of our own goal and then overhand chop me in the forehead of my helmet with her stick. We both somehow got coincidental high sticking penalties.

:iiam:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

So you're saying I should stay in a lodge and not the dormitory.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bootcha posted:

So you're saying I should stay in a lodge and not the dormitory.
It's been so long that I'm not even remotely sure what they're like now, but at the time the dorms were 6 to a room (bunk beds) and communal bathrooms. They weren't too bad for what they are, especially given you're supposed to be out and about doing things anyway.

The experience I had there is kind of a long story, so don't let me freak you out or anything. It was a really strange week.

sellouts posted:

I almost went to Heartland that summer. I went to Peak Performance instead.
One of our on-ice instructors was a former minor league baseball catcher. He was not very good at hockey. Again, strange week.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Speaking of wet fart goals, this time next week I'll be in Deerwood, MN for the advanced adult Heartland hockey camp as a goalie to get some final instruction in how not to suck.

Did you tell Make-A-Wish you had full blown AIDS?