Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Obama was Just Okay, Bush was comfortably on the lovely side of mediocre but tons of Gilded Age assholes were way worse than him, Trump so far is hilariously incompetent but it still remains to be seen whether he's Hoover-level incompetent or just GHWB-level incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

see also: gay rights and (somehow) racial justice

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

steinrokkan posted:

Obama was so non racist that he decided keeping Arabs in cages wasn't that much of a big deal as he initially claimed.

Also he told black kids to pull up their pants

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Obama's accomplishments are equivalent to president McDumbass' edict to reduce tariffs on tea by 1%. He's going to be a note at the margins of the history written by the two apocalyptical presidents surrounding his tenure.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HashtagGriswold/status/891099598017761280

Uh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://i.imgur.com/HP5SkQl.gifv

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fox News guy looks appropriately confused by the interview he finds himself having

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
every time i see a picture of him he is making that face

does he ever not make that face

is that just what his face looks like

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i remember this and it changed my perception, for the better

party loyalty is death, rigid inflexibility undoes you

it makes the betrayal softer i guess

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Jul 29, 2017

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

xpost:

100 years from now no one is going to give a single poo poo that Obama improved healthcare somewhat in America

If the ACA is the legacy part of eight years in office after running a massively popular campaign of Hope and Change then fuckin lol

Obama was status quo as hell, more obsessed with carefully curating his personal image and building his connections to enrich himself after leaving office, than actually Changing anything to leave a lasting mark on American history.

Obama continued the imperial actions around the world, continued to leave bankers and the rich elites off the hook, continued the crushing grind of the lower class into dust, and continued the extraction of wealth upwards and upwards

I remember calling Obama "black McCain" during the 2008 run and it made a whole bunch of repubs really mad

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

deadgoon posted:

The best is he makes that completely confused face whether the person he's talking to is worse or better than him.

If he wasn't a borderline fascist I'd just say he's making the face we all make when dealing with lib and neocon online types but lol at being fair to Tucker.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Maybe Tucker Carlson needs glasses...?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Condiv posted:

of course, the thread wouldn't be the same without idiot hillaries coming in and saying stupid stuff

it's practically what powers the suck zone

don't need hillaries to fan the flames when the thread gladly drags whatever dumb poo poo hillary said in on its own

the suck zone powers itself

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Economist is cancer, yeah.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

loquacius posted:

Obama was Just Okay, Bush was comfortably on the lovely side of mediocre but tons of Gilded Age assholes were way worse than him, Trump so far is hilariously incompetent but it still remains to be seen whether he's Hoover-level incompetent or just GHWB-level incompetent

As far as post-emancipation presidents go, I'm not sure anyone's done anything as bad as invading Iraq.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Suck zonishly, I'm mildly drunk at present so I'll probably think of something way worse that makes me feel like an idiot later

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

GalacticAcid posted:

As far as post-emancipation presidents go, I'm not sure anyone's done anything as bad as invading Iraq.

Invading Vietnam was arguably worse but I don't think any individual president was as personally responsible for that as Bush was for Iraq

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

loquacius posted:

Invading Vietnam was arguably worse but I don't think any individual president was as personally responsible for that as Bush was for Iraq

I agree with this.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

GalacticAcid posted:

Vietnam was IMO a worse war but is spread across a couple presidents (that said we still don't know how bad the human suffering of Iraq is going to get because technically we're still living in the aftermath).

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Suck zonishly

read this as suck zionishly and was confused by the rest

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Vietnam was extremely bad but I feel like Iraq is causing bigger aftershocks

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

well the US under nixon indiscriminately bombed millions of people to death in secret during the course of the vietnam war

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

UHD posted:

don't need hillaries to fan the flames when the thread gladly drags whatever dumb poo poo hillary said in on its own

the suck zone powers itself

just like how solar panels don't work when the sun isn't out, the suck zone is missing it's primary energy source when hillary isn't making an rear end of herself in public. hillaries are like batteries full of hrc stupidity to keep the thread going during generation down times

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

well the US under nixon indiscriminately bombed millions of people to death in secret during the course of the vietnam war

Domino theory might be worse than axis of evil

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Because we had the decency to lose decisively

Edit * in Vietnam I mean

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Because we had the decency to lose decisively

Edit * in Vietnam I mean

caused enough damage to inflict megadeath and megainstability then bailed just in time for the khmer rouge to rise in the nation we attempted to commit abortive, clandestine genocide upon

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Vox Nihili posted:

caused enough damage to inflict megadeath and megainstability then bailed just in time for the khmer rouge to rise in the nation we attempted to commit abortive, clandestine genocide upon

But since we lost, the NVA could, in turn, overthrow the Khmer Rouge

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You’ll see how dark once they hit the light
Know what I’ve made from the marks on my hands

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The American military's involvement in Iraq isn't even over yet.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

deadgoon posted:

he kept making that face
it got stuck

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

The American military's involvement in Iraq isn't even over yet.

Same with Afghanistan.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Learning this was really a "what the gently caress else have I not been told" moment, along with most of what I learned about Vietnam outside of Middle and high school

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

HILLARY: What happen?

PODESTA: Someone set up us the hack. We get signal!

HILLARY: *SNAPS FINGERS AT HUMA* Blackberry turn on! It's you !!!

PUTIN: How are you Madam Secretary !!! All your emails are belong to me. You are on the way to destruction. Ha ha ha ha ...

:same:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
As an American I can go visit Vietnam/cambodia/etc in relative safety in most of the country, with Iraq/Iran/Syria,I can't. Let's see how long it'll be until I can, if I ever can.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

loquacius posted:

Fox News guy looks appropriately confused by the interview he finds himself having

this is his normal face

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

with Vietnam we eventually had the decency to get out, stay out, and let our client regime collapse. once we gave up trying to prop up an unstable status quo, everything eventually crumbled into a largely stable situation

with Iraq, we "won", so we're still actively in there propping up a corrupt, incompetent government which is only able to survive with constant US support. it's not "aftershocks", because we never really stopped meddling there

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iraq/Afghanistan is substantially worse than Vietnam/Cambodia, because the lesson the US learned from Vietnam was not that it was a huge mistake and a terrible thing to do, but instead that if it embedded the media, went after whistleblowers, and kept the death counts artificially low it could wage war indefinitely and people would simply accept it.

Pretty soon we will have children born after the beginning of the Afghanistan War old enough to go fight in it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

with Vietnam we eventually had the decency to get out, stay out, and let our client regime collapse. once we gave up trying to prop up an unstable status quo, everything eventually crumbled into a largely stable situation

with Iraq, we "won", so we're still actively in there propping up a corrupt, incompetent government which is only able to survive with constant US support. it's not "aftershocks", because we never really stopped meddling there

we still propped up the south vietnam government even after we left the war. we were providing military aid right up until the end, but their adversary was obviously much stronger than isis.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand alPaul posted:

Iraq/Afghanistan is substantially worse than Vietnam/Cambodia, because the lesson the US learned from Vietnam was not that it was a huge mistake and a terrible thing to do, but instead that if it embedded the media, went after whistleblowers, and kept the death counts artificially low it could wage war indefinitely and people would simply accept it.

Pretty soon we will have children born after the beginning of the Afghanistan War old enough to go fight in it.

We already almost do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GalacticAcid posted:

why would they invade another country? that's our job

• Locked thread