Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It was cool how Golden Sun had a code you could enter at the beginning of the game that let you choose the names of all the major characters and not just your party. Though I imagine that was part of the reason why the codes to transfer your data to the sequel were so massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
In Earthbound, you could name your favorite food and then your mom would mention it. I always enjoyed reading, "Now eat some cock and go to bed."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

in the terrible interactive fiction game Heroes Rise (there's an LP of it here I think) you can custom name both your favourite colour and the lyrics to your favourite song, which would be inscribed on your parents' wedding rings in a touching reveal

cue my character firing energy beams coloured "some kind of gay mauve" and brooding on a moonlit rooftop about his responsibilities while taking solace for the immortal words of love "my mammal sauce is the best mammal sauce, I spread mammal sauce on my wang"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

in the terrible interactive fiction game Heroes Rise (there's an LP of it here I think) you can custom name both your favourite colour and the lyrics to your favourite song, which would be inscribed on your parents' wedding rings in a touching reveal

cue my character firing energy beams coloured "some kind of gay mauve" and brooding on a moonlit rooftop about his responsibilities while taking solace for the immortal words of love "my mammal sauce is the best mammal sauce, I spread mammal sauce on my wang"

Oh boy, my message on the ring was 'get hosed you loving fuckwit, you can't move into my house' if only because it's from an actual song and because it's such a mouthful.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:holymoley: I haven't heard that for yonks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MbhPWud8kM&t=72s

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Okay, it took me four months but I finally read through this entire topic.

I have a small mountain of criticism to aim at Fallout 4, but one thing I really enjoy is the settlement system. It's far from perfect, but it adds a meaningful downtime to your cycle of explore/kill/loot, much like in Skyrim. Also like Skyrim, this downtime still contributes to your progression as a character; you get some exp for laying out new houses and arranging defenses, and you can funnel looted resources into your equipment in the form of upgrades and helpful items. That's good. The part where I think it's measurably better than Skyrim is Fallout doesn't do the "draugr are training" enemy level scaling to nearly the same extent, so sitting down to make some upgrades and get an edge over the enemy doesn't get gimped by the fact that you went up 15 levels in alchemy and now all the dragons breathe super acid to keep pace.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before, but I'm playing through Wind Waker again and it's just so charming how incredibly expressive everyone is in this game. I love the voice-acted greetings and reactions, which would have been overbearing or even annoying if they were actually voice acting dialogue. I think OoT and MM attempted this to some extent, but the aesthetic of Wind Waker combined with the undeniably goofy nature of Legend of Zelda NPC life makes for a irresistibly cheerful game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Alexander Hamilton posted:

In Earthbound, you could name your favorite food and then your mom would mention it. I always enjoyed reading, "Now eat some cock and go to bed."

"Pokey, you don't like pussy? T • O • O • B • A • D !"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Read Only Memories let you enter in your own preferred gender pronouns on top of the included he/she/they options, so of course a bunch of people totally stuck it to those esjaydubs by having all the characters call the player "FAG".

You can also pick whether your character has any dietary restrictions and it updates your food to be vegan/kosher/etc to match.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

Their previous game, UnEpic, was a horrifically unfunny piece of poo poo but one of the few actual good jokes was a similar meta goof where you fight an enemy with mind control powers and he keeps using them to turn the game against you and make you start over. The ultimate middle finger to the player is that if you do manage to finally beat him then if you have a teleport item in your inventory he makes you use it to leave so you have to fight him all over sgsin.

I bought unepic after someone said it was good. Everything was so drat small I couldn't see my inventory or read any of the text in the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

I bought unepic after someone said it was good. Everything was so drat small I couldn't see my inventory or read any of the text in the game.

You missed nothing. That game was beyond terrible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ilmucche posted:

That person lied to you, and also to me probably.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just finished doing all the Gold Stars in Toy Story 3, so I'm pretty much done with it. The only two achievements left are Ghost the stealth mission and get through most of the Buzz Videogame without dying which I don't care enough about, and the game may alto want me to get all the customisable parts in the Al's Toy Barn egg-machine but no in game reward means LOL on grinding that many coins, but it was a fun game to play. It was a Good Licensed Game, though aspects of it were janky it still worked fairly well for what it was trying to do.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really enjoyed Toy Story 3, I was really surprised with it, thinking that it'd just be your typical licensed linear platformer. The toybox mode was a pleasant addition, turning the game into something really fun - I'm willing to bet they used it as a basis for the Disney Infinity games that came out later.

Edit: Hah, both were made by Avalanche Software. Not surprised in the slightest.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Typical thread poster: "I named Mario 'Boner Honkfarts' "
Bioenchanted: " In the video game of the novelization of the film Steel starring Shaq, the chime when the player collects crystals is the same tune as 'Anything for Your Love' from the movie soundtrack"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And I wouldnt have it any other way :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now that I've 100%ed it I kinda want to do an LP of it someday. Obv it will have to wait until I'm done with my current project, but it's going on the list.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Guy Mann posted:

You can also pick whether your character has any dietary restrictions and it updates your food to be vegan/kosher/etc to match.

Hilariously, they also included Gluten free as a diet choice, but didn't bother to include Halal. It also has a Muslim bartender (which yes is a thing that could happen, but I think they just missed it).

VV Yeah, but only after a bunch of people pointed it out to them.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Jul 28, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Hilariously, they also included Gluten free as a diet choice, but didn't bother to include Halal.

They patched that in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

I really enjoyed Toy Story 3, I was really surprised with it, thinking that it'd just be your typical licensed linear platformer. The toybox mode was a pleasant addition, turning the game into something really fun - I'm willing to bet they used it as a basis for the Disney Infinity games that came out later.

Edit: Hah, both were made by Avalanche Software. Not surprised in the slightest.

Toy Story 2 on N64 was also pretty loving solid, one of the first 3D Metroidvanias I ever played, even.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Toy Story 2 on N64 was also pretty loving solid, one of the first 3D Metroidvanias I ever played, even.

Wait, was there more than one? The one I had was a collectathon with ~10 separate levels. It had a CRAZY good soundtrack, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvIPGQiFb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVAnn_yb8c

Apparently, the composers of that game went on to do not much of anything, which is tragic. I think they did one of the bad crash games, at least.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can still remember the unlocks all levels code for TS2. Up 4, Down 2, Up 2, Down 3 at the main menu. Didn't count for much because you gotta still unlock the gear.

e: you'll hear the sheep when it works.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It also has a Muslim bartender (which yes is a thing that could happen, but I think they just missed it).

He was also gay so I get the feeling that maybe, just maybe his character wasn't taking a super literal dogmatic perspective on religion.

Veib posted:

They patched that in.

I wasn't a big fan of the game but the amount of free post-release support it got was pretty cool, especially considering how it apparently sold pretty badly since all of its target audience was being enthralled by Undertale when it came out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Splatoon 2 is refreshingly fun - it's unapologetic use of puns, ridiculous colors and poppy music honestly seem like elements that should be kind of grating, but they're all used so ...earnestly, I guess is the word I'd use, that it's kind of more than the sum of its parts. The game outright knows how goofy it is and it really invites the player to buy into it.

I actually laughed a bit when I saw the shoe store was called Shella Fresh.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Guy Mann posted:

It was cool how Golden Sun had a code you could enter at the beginning of the game that let you choose the names of all the major characters and not just your party. Though I imagine that was part of the reason why the codes to transfer your data to the sequel were so massive.

Shining Force 2 was the same way. I never did anything wacky with it, though; I just named the characters with mixed case so the NPCs wouldn't shout about LEMON every time he came up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I like that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided uses some contemporary product designs. The actual product placement can gently caress off but seeing what is obviously a knockoff of Haiku fans and Dyson Airblade hand dryers is cool both because they fit in with the futuristic aesthetic and because in real life a lot of fixtures like that are several decades old so it makes sense that they would still have today's stuff kicking around, kind of like how you still see a lot of old "push button, receive bacon" World Dryer hand dryers and four-blade ceiling fans today.

Also while a lot of the Mechanical Apartheid stuff was @therealbanksy levels of :rolleyes: the fact that they released a blockbuster movie about the catastrophic events of the first game just two years later was really funny and also depressingly accurate.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Jul 29, 2017

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Batman the Arkham Knight

For those who haven't played it there's a goggle thingy Batman can use called "detective mode" that Batman can use to spot enemies and other thingies. Later in the game some enemies come equipped with a sensor to detect where you're hiding if you're using that.

On a rooftop I stealth killed every one but that sensor dude. I walked right behind him and turned on detective mode. The game knew what I was doing and had a voice clip ready. The poor henchman detects me and says "this can't be right. It says he's right behind me" and turns around just to get punched in the face.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Splatoon 2 is refreshingly fun - it's unapologetic use of puns, ridiculous colors and poppy music honestly seem like elements that should be kind of grating, but they're all used so ...earnestly, I guess is the word I'd use, that it's kind of more than the sum of its parts. The game outright knows how goofy it is and it really invites the player to buy into it.

I actually laughed a bit when I saw the shoe store was called Shella Fresh.

Why would that be grating? All of those things are cool, and yes Splatoon 2 is cool

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

I like that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided uses some contemporary product designs. The actual product placement can gently caress off but seeing what is obviously a knockoff of Haiku fans and Dyson Airblade hand dryers is cool both because they fit in with the futuristic aesthetic and because in real life a lot of fixtures like that are several decades old so it makes sense that they would still have today's stuff kicking around, kind of like how you still see a lot of old "push button, receive bacon" World Dryer hand dryers and four-blade ceiling fans today.

Also while a lot of the Mechanical Apartheid stuff was @therealbanksy levels of :rolleyes: the fact that they released a blockbuster movie about the catastrophic events of the first game just two years later was really funny and also depressingly accurate.

Whats...Whats wrong with four bladed fans?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
four blades good, three blades better

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't think I've seen a ceiling fan with 3 blades. 4 or 5 seems typical.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Whatever you say, gramps.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All of the fans I've ever had have 5 blades?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In The Surge I appreciate that cutting off someone's arm, leg or head makes you pick up the loot from that extremity rather than the collapsed torso. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

You mean a jumbo fidget spinner?

http://i.imgur.com/CTh3cZn.mp4

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The soundtrack for Let it Die is great. It's annoying you can only listen to the songs in the Waiting Room though.

I like the design of the Arcade too, all lovely carpet tiles and buzzy fluorescent lights. It's really detailed for an area you hardly spend any time in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza 0

Yeah I don't know anything about the series beyond this but uh, Majima's a goddamn freak.

http://i.imgur.com/IyDizNT.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qyMSAUq.mp4

Also BotW at least made a good decision with the ragdoll deaths. :allears:

http://i.imgur.com/AWm9WG5.mp4

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh man if you think Majima's bananas in 0, just wait for Kiwami. You're in for a treat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza 0

Yeah I don't know anything about the series beyond this but uh, Majima's a goddamn freak.

That is the most baller way I have ever seen someone kill another man with their own sword :stare:.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza 0

I don't need to know anything about the Yakuza series beyond that.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza 0

The dance at the end :discourse:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Majima was first introduced, iirc, beating a man senseless with an umbrella and he's never really slowed down from there