Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TV Zombie posted:

Going through Jusice League and Justice League Unlimited because it's leaving Netflix in August and man, it's held up so well.

Hell yes it has
Best thing DC's ever produced in any medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

I think it's also because they have NOTHING for Robin to do partway through season 3. She's just there while literally everyone else is involved in the plot

HIMYM's big issue was that they expected us to root for Barney, despite him being an utterly loathsome and monstrous character, and also spent several years making Ted the most pathetic character on television since Ross Geller (and telling us why he and Robin were a terrible couple). I don't think I've seen a once-good show go so spectacularly off the rails since Scrubs (although in Scrubs' favor, at least they rebounded from the woeful sixth and seventh years with a rock-solid finale season ... then pissed all over it with Med School).

But, man, that HIMYM finale. 22 episodes about a wedding weekend, then fifteen minutes into the finale: "Oh, we got divorced." :fuckoff:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

HIMYM's big issue was that they expected us to root for Barney, despite him being an utterly loathsome and monstrous character, and also spent several years making Ted the most pathetic character on television since Ross Geller (and telling us why he and Robin were a terrible couple). I don't think I've seen a once-good show go so spectacularly off the rails since Scrubs (although in Scrubs' favor, at least they rebounded from the woeful sixth and seventh years with a rock-solid finale season ... then pissed all over it with Med School).

But, man, that HIMYM finale. 22 episodes about a wedding weekend, then fifteen minutes into the finale: "Oh, we got divorced." :fuckoff:

Yes, but that final minute with the Walkie Talkies's Heaven and the cast show off was loving incredible I tell you what
Anyway we all know Robin should've ended up with me

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Timby posted:

Barney works mainly because of Neil Patrick Harris' performance, but when he decides to behave himself he's arguably better with women than Ted is. Some of his stuff with Robin is some of the more realistic and grown up material that the show does. They make Ted the loser of the group, and then he can only go down from there. Saying that, Lily is arguably one of the most easily dislikeable characters, like her poo poo about credit card addiction and how Marshall has to work a lovely job he never wanted to do to support her.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Barney works mainly because of Neil Patrick Harris' performance, but when he decides to behave himself he's arguably better with women than Ted is. Some of his stuff with Robin is some of the more realistic and grown up material that the show does. They make Ted the loser of the group, and then he can only go down from there. Saying that, Lily is arguably one of the most easily dislikeable characters, like her poo poo about credit card addiction and how Marshall has to work a lovely job he never wanted to do to support her.

And breaking up Ted from the girlfriends she personally did not like and her gross loud chewing
Marshall was too good for her

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In case anyone forgot about the Enterprise intro Christian rock nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5zmCcUYcSY

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's actually the best part of the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

Barney works mainly because of Neil Patrick Harris' performance, but when he decides to behave himself he's arguably better with women than Ted is. Some of his stuff with Robin is some of the more realistic and grown up material that the show does.

For a while it was, but when they decided to do that slow burn of him getting back together with Robin, it was just pure garbage: Gaslighting Robin into thinking that he's in love with Patrice, planning an elaborate deception as his proposal, lying about the playbook, lying about God knows what else, and the audience is expected to say, "Aw, what a lovable scamp." No, it's more like, "Jesus, he's a high-functioning sociopath."

quote:

Saying that, Lily is arguably one of the most easily dislikeable characters, like her poo poo about credit card addiction and how Marshall has to work a lovely job he never wanted to do to support her.

One of my favorite bits of subtext running throughout much of the show's run is Ted secretly being madly in love with her.

Mu Zeta posted:

In case anyone forgot about the Enterprise intro Christian rock nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5zmCcUYcSY

Whoever thought a Diane Warren song was ideal for Star Trek should have been fired immediately.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
That episode where Ted wants to date this girl but he never can because she's so lovable she's always in a relationship within seconds of breaking up is kinda gross because yeah, maybe the girl should try being by herself for a little while to find herself but nope she still ended up in a relationship with someone else

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

There's a difference in saying 'for God's sake!' and being religious too fwiw

The conceit that people many hundreds of the years in the future would speak something easily digestible for a television audience is ludicrous in the first god drat place.

DrVenkman posted:

Saying that, Lily is arguably one of the most easily dislikeable characters, like her poo poo about credit card addiction and how Marshall has to work a lovely job he never wanted to do to support her.

Also when she just up and left him for a year or whatever to go be an artist or some bullshit in california. That was some hot bullshit and around when I started to hate the character.

I think Marshall is the only character on himym that isn't a bad person pretty much.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

IRQ posted:

The conceit that people many hundreds of the years in the future would speak something easily digestible for a television audience is ludicrous in the first god drat place.

Also when she just up and left him for a year or whatever to go be an artist or some bullshit in california. That was some hot bullshit and around when I started to hate the character.

I think Marshall is the only character on himym that isn't a bad person pretty much.

I actually agreed with her on that because you've been in a relationship for 9 years since a comparatively young age and you have doubts about what's next you definitely should take the chance to explore your options
And it was for a summer in San Francisco

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

That was literally the first season finale, too. They did have a nice callback to it near the tail-end of the final season, though, when Marshall and Lily have their massive fight about Italy / him becoming a judge.

quote:

Marshall is certainly the moral center of the show, and his dad is pretty much the platonic ideal of a well-meaning father. But essentially every other main character / frequent guest is some variation or another of a self-centered rear end in a top hat except, I don't know, Barney's dad and brother?

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 29, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

That was literally the first season finale, too. They did have a nice callback to it near the tail-end of the final season, though, when Marshall and Lily have their massive fight about Italy / him becoming a judge.

Marshall is certainly the moral center of the show, and his dad is pretty much the platonic ideal of a well-meaning father. But essentially every other main character / frequent guest is some variation or another of a self-centered rear end in a top hat except, I don't know, Barney's dad and brother?

He was pretty selfish when he wouldn't let Lilly pursue her dream of being an artist and I can't recall how he handled Lilly having to go to Rome but I'm sure he was selfish there too
Still, Big Fudge stopped his life-long dream of working for the environment to work at a soul rending law firm to pay off his awful wife's awful debt and was nothing but nice to all of his friends

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

I can't recall how he handled Lilly having to go to Rome but I'm sure he was selfish there too

He actually convinces the Captain to offer her the Rome job multiple times, and initially he's all-in on the idea of going to Rome because the Honeywell & Cootes law firm hasn't had a case in like six months. Then that changes in the season eight finale, when he gets the offer to be a judge and takes it without even speaking to her about it, in an inversion of what she did when she hosed off to San Francisco.

Edit: God, thinking of the Captain just reminded me of the relationship between Ted and Zoey, which felt like it went on for loving ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Whoever thought a Diane Warren song was ideal for Star Trek should have been fired immediately.

Armageddon was a popular movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man so none of these people ever dated any black characters huh
I mean it makes sense for Ted I guess but Robin and Barney could've met more ethnically diverse people in New York

EDIT: No you know what it doesn't make sense for Ted either because so many times he prefaced meeting a girl by saying that that wasn't the mother or would only lead to eventually meeting the mother so come on tv show

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Going through Jusice League and Justice League Unlimited because it's leaving Netflix in August and man, it's held up so well.
JLU remains my absolute favorite piece of superhero media.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

JLU remains my absolute favorite piece of superhero media.

:yeah:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

I mean it makes sense for Ted I guess but Robin and Barney could've met more ethnically diverse people in New York

I never really thought about it, but, yeah, holy poo poo, that was one of the whitest TV shows going for a while. I guess Robin was briefly engaged to Kevin and Barney dated Nora, and there were Ranjit, James Stinson and Sam Gibbs, but otherwise, loving oof.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

That's actually the best part of the show.

:agreed:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

I never really thought about it, but, yeah, holy poo poo, that was one of the whitest TV shows going for a while. I guess Robin was briefly engaged to Kevin and Barney dated Nora, and there were Ranjit, James Stinson and Sam Gibbs, but otherwise, loving oof.

Oh yeah I forgot about Kevin and Nora, and Barney and Robin dating them both at the same time really makes me think that the writers themselves realized it and tried to do a lot of course correction instead of letting it come more naturally

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: No you know what it doesn't make sense for Ted either because so many times he prefaced meeting a girl by saying that that wasn't the mother or would only lead to eventually meeting the mother so come on tv show

I'm pretty sure Barney slept with Black women, and Ted dated one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think Barney perved out on all races of women, but I'm not sure that counts for much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy poo poo, jughead's meltdown in Riverdale is amazing

edit: this show just turned itself up to 11 and there's still 2 eps left in the season, this is fantastic

precision fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 30, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

I'm convinced that part of the reason that everyone hates the HIMYM finale (rightfully so, I'm right there with you) is that they did too good a job at making the Mother perfect. Cristin Miloti was adorable and great and they spent an entire season hyping her up and then in the final episode they kill her unceremoniously under the assumption that everyone spent the last 22 episode wondering when Ted would get back with Robin instead of growing to love this new, awesome character. It was a spectacularly terrible finale on most levels though.

I was mad as poo poo and just pretend that the show ended with Ted and The Mother getting married and nothing else and I don't go back and rewatch it because for whatever reason it's one of those shows that I have no desire to go back and watch no matter how much I loved it. (see: The Office)

edit: I watched A-to-Z (a lame rom-sit-com that aired the season after HIMYM ended) entirely off of how much I liked her as the mother. It was very disappointing and it sucks that she's kinda gone back to doing supporting roles. Maybe she'll go back to Broadway soon...

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 30, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did someone say whitest show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc0vbSlanM

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 1990s were a different time, everyone was scared of Ice Cube.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 90s had both Sliders and Stargate airing at the same time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Stargate was so good.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

The 90s had both Sliders and Stargate airing at the same time

Sliders was a pretty good show, shame they cancelled it after only two seasons.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I remember a while ago I was reading about a Podcast that released companion episodes to listen to after watching each episode of Man Men. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to try something like that out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So unbeknownst to me, the oft-maligned Top Gear USA, which I thought had really found its own identity after a shaky start, was canceled last year, and the BBC is taking another stab at an american Top Gear spinoff and it starts tonight. Kind of bummed to hear the history channel version got killed off, but I'll give the new one a shot I guess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

I was mad as poo poo and just pretend that the show ended with Ted and The Mother getting married and nothing else and I don't go back and rewatch it because for whatever reason it's one of those shows that I have no desire to go back and watch no matter how much I loved it. (see: The Office)

Wasn't the finale of The Office excellent, though?

Anyway, you weren't the only one to hate the finale as aired. Radnor loving trashed it in like a half-dozen interviews (he always kept his mouth shut, for the most part, because it's not like he was doing much else in his career, but after HIMYM was over he was unafraid to finally speak up; on the other hand, Segel was pretty transparent about how much he loathed doing the show by the seventh season), and Alyson Hannigan said she had no idea why the home video ending wasn't used.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Stargate was so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKzdQq0qOQs&t=125s

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Wasn't the finale of The Office excellent, though?

Anyway, you weren't the only one to hate the finale as aired. Radnor loving trashed it in like a half-dozen interviews (he always kept his mouth shut, for the most part, because it's not like he was doing much else in his career, but after HIMYM was over he was unafraid to finally speak up; on the other hand, Segel was pretty transparent about how much he loathed doing the show by the seventh season), and Alyson Hannigan said she had no idea why the home video ending wasn't used.

What was the home video ending

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Segel was pretty transparent about how much he loathed doing the show by the seventh season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBe2gCuFnd4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Literally the best sequence in scifi history.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

What was the home video ending

Saget, not Radnor, narrated a montage where Robin continues to be a successful TV personality, Ted and Tracy live happily ever after, it ends with the meeting at the train station and "That, kids, is how I met your mother," fade to black / credits.

Edit: Here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHUs8J7x94

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 30, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What sucks is that Ted got over Robin/viceversa so many times and it sucks that Tracey dies and there goes Ted once more
Like a lot of people say that the entire story isn't about Ted meeting the mother of his children but rather about how he met and fell in love with Robin but I don't buy it, they moved past it the first time they broke up even if the writers probably didn't intend it that way and even the third to last episode with Robin saying it should be Ted she's marrying put a definite stop to the notion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Why do I have such strong opinions about the love life of TV characters, is this what being on the internet is like

• Locked thread