Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I hang mine from a peg on the wall. Then I put a microfiber cloth over it to prevent dust from accumulating on the lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So is this whole "exposing your 600 dollar toy to sunlight will break it" thing something that can be cleared up in a second generation device, or are we always doomed to hiding our VR devices from that nefarious sun?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless future devices come with some sort of automatic cover, you have to worry about that. Lenses will always be lenses.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I hide myself from the sun, don't see why my nerd hobbies should be any different.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So is this whole "exposing your 600 dollar toy to sunlight will break it" thing something that can be cleared up in a second generation device, or are we always doomed to hiding our VR devices from that nefarious sun?

It's unavoidable. Direct sunlight falling on the lenses will be transmitted to the screen in the same way that the lenses transmit the light from the screen to your eyes. But it has to be direct sunlight, just put it down with the lenses facing anything other than the window and it'll be fine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

It's unavoidable. Direct sunlight falling on the lenses will be transmitted to the screen in the same way that the lenses transmit the light from the screen to your eyes. But it has to be direct sunlight, just put it down with the lenses facing anything other than the window and it'll be fine.

but man is it terrifying when you have people over using it and it's the late afternoon and light is just streaming onto the play area. I'm sure I'm just so much fun 'okay so just be careful when you take it off, the sun, okay just remember, the sun yeah, so wait wait just turn around before you take it off, im just going to close the curtains'

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I just have my blinds closed all the time, or set it somewhere away from windows. I guess it's really just a matter of what your play area is like, but I don't feel like its that big of an issue. If your windowsill or close to it is the only place to rest your headset you may need to second guess your layout or buy a case.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Just don't leave them in direct sunlight for days, it's fine. Maybe a cover on it to keep dust out. You're way overthinking this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've constructed a light proof box that I store my headset in.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bhodi posted:

Just don't leave them in direct sunlight for days, it's fine. Maybe a cover on it to keep dust out. You're way overthinking this.

Seriously. I didn't even think about this. And still won't. It's not like you'd want lots of light in your Vr space anyways, and are people really laying the headsets on window ledges so they can get some sunlight? Lol

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just put mine on a desk and then stick a towel over it so it doesn't collect dust or get errant sunlight in it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I threw mine in the trash because VR isn't real

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
It's super important. I read some horror stories of dudes leaving their HMD in direct sunlight for seconds and it just melts the display. Those lenses focus the light right on the screen and RIP.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like Echo Arena put in the matchmaking update in today. Now I'm unable to locate a server. Any one else having issues?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

kaffo posted:

It's super important. I read some horror stories of dudes leaving their HMD in direct sunlight for seconds and it just melts the display. Those lenses focus the light right on the screen and RIP.
I don't believe this any more than leaving your phone in direct sunlight melts the display. it's not a magnifying glass.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I don't believe this any more than leaving your phone in direct sunlight melts the display. it's not a magnifying glass.

Yeah, all the people who have complained on the internet that Oculus/HTC won't warranty their device because they left it in sunlight are just liars and part of Big Towel.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It is a magnifying glass....

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

I threw mine in the trash because VR isn't real

How can VR be real if our eyes aren't real

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

The lenses are a magnifying glasses, they take a small display and spread them out across a larger area. This means when you put them in sunlight, it not only get the sun on the display but a magnified amount of the sun across a smaller area, I could totally believe that sunlight could mess up a display in a very short time.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Got my rift this week, and holy poo poo Robo Recall is everything I didn't know a VR game could be. After I stopped moving my feet and loving up the teleport orientation, this game just shines.

Really want Audioshield and a bunch of other stuff, but I think waiting for sales is going to be a must. The cost of the software adds up quick.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darke GBF posted:

Got my rift this week, and holy poo poo Robo Recall is everything I didn't know a VR game could be. After I stopped moving my feet and loving up the teleport orientation, this game just shines.

For some reason I didn't make the connection from watching gameplay and reading about it, but it's totally just the next step in light gun games. I felt like I was playing a tricked out Time Crisis, and that's a good thing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bhodi posted:

PerrineClostermann posted:

How can VR be real if our eyes aren't real

Magnification isn't real

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
loving lenses, how do they work?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Poorly, evidently!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Grey posted:

Are there any special rules for storing the Oculus? I seem to remember reading something about making sure the sun doesn't hit the lense. Am I making this up?

Also, don't store it in a way where anything covers the proximity sensor near the forehead. If it is plugged into the PC and the prox sensor is being tripped it'll just run the displays, which would in turn cause wear on the OLEDs and your GPU would have to crank up to render Oculus Home 24/7.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Also, don't store it in a way where anything covers the proximity sensor near the forehead. If it is plugged into the PC and the prox sensor is being tripped it'll just run the displays, which would in turn cause wear on the OLEDs and your GPU would have to crank up to render Oculus Home 24/7.

Oculus tray tool linked a few pages ago solves this by turning off the oculus services when it's not running.

Still a good idea in general, but yeah, I got sick of bumping my headset and having home open. That was the fix.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-platform-third-party-headset-compatibility-openxr-nate-mitchell-interview/

Oculus wants to bring in third party headsets someday, but who knows when.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

PerrineClostermann posted:

Alright. So. My sensors have stopped running in USB 3.0. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm running a 2600k on an ASUS P8P67 Evo. It has 3 full-size PCI-E slots. The top slot is populated by a GTX 1070. This slot runs at 16x, unless the middle slot is populated. According to documentation, that would put both slots into 8x/8x. The middle slot is not populated. The bottom slot is populated by a Startech 4x USB 3.0 expansion card, which has four USB controllers, one for each port. This bottom slot is normally unconnected, but according to documentation, when populated, disables some SATA ports and the front USB 3.0 ports to provide 4x lanes.

The last time I had my sensor working in 3.0, I had a 1070 in the top slot, 760 in the middle slot (for ports for my monitors), and the Startech card in the bottom slot. The sensor was plugged into the Startech card.

Right now, I have a 1070 in the top slot, nothing in the middle slot, and the Startech card in the bottom slot. My pair of sensors are plugged into the Startech card. At this exact moment, they are plugged in with CableMatters 5M active 3.0 extension cables. In this configuration, they run in 3.0 at the start, then fall into 2.0 quickly. When I plug them in directly, they also start at 3.0, and quickly fall into 2.0.

Any ideas what's wrong? Should I try plugging the expansion card into the middle slot and deal with only getting 8x lanes to my GPU?

I had problems with the Startech card in Windows 10 when I used the drivers from Startech's website. Uninstall your drivers and use the ones from Microsoft.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It seems pretty clear they're waiting on openXR to get sorted, who knows when that will be though. I think its SUPPOSED to come out later this year but I'm imagining its the kind of thing that will get delayed a ton.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like Echo Arena put in the matchmaking update in today. Now I'm unable to locate a server. Any one else having issues?

I just tried plaing it w/revive for the first time today and ran into this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

but man is it terrifying when you have people over using it and it's the late afternoon and light is just streaming onto the play area. I'm sure I'm just so much fun 'okay so just be careful when you take it off, the sun, okay just remember, the sun yeah, so wait wait just turn around before you take it off, im just going to close the curtains'

Close the blinds, turn on the lights.

Store HMD in a closet.

Its not hard guys.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Alternatively, just leave the blinds open and have the HMD lenses facing away from the sun.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As somebody who lives in the middle of a city, I'm amazed by the thought of people somehow not having blinds when they have a $400 headset and the computer to power it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nalin posted:

I had problems with the Startech card in Windows 10 when I used the drivers from Startech's website. Uninstall your drivers and use the ones from Microsoft.

This worked. Thanks so much dude.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

I just tried plaing it w/revive for the first time today and ran into this.

They were having server trouble for a while, but it should be good now

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made some fanart inspired by H3VR just for funsies

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Hm, that reminds me, H3VR still only has the Vive listed as a compatible device. Does it not work properly with Touch?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Hm, that reminds me, H3VR still only has the Vive listed as a compatible device. Does it not work properly with Touch?

Wha? I've been using it with Touch for months, no problem

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

It doesn't use the Oculus SDK, but it's had full Touch support for quite a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just spent two hours reliving my childhood via Google Earth VR. I'm depressed and need someone to hug.

VR 10/10.

:negative: