Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

oldpainless posted:

In mass effect 2, your first major mission is to go to a place called omega and it's very close to where you start the game so naturally people do it first. But nothing forces you to go there first and so I didn't, I went to the citadel and there was a news report talking about my exploits on omega EVEN THOUGH ID NEVER BEEN THERE. it's like wow what a rookie mistake

Fallout 4 does something similar. I was exploring the world, hadn't even visited Diamond City or whatever and I stumble on a cool vault full of mobsters. "Cool, maybe there will be some neat loot in here" I think to myself as I'm gunning down these guys then I get to the end and there's a robot man and he starts talking to me about some lady in diamond city I've never spoken to, and my dude starts talking about this lady as well and about a conversation we'd never had and suddenly like five quests I never started complete themselves. They didn't possibly think to include a "Who the hell are you and why are you locked up in mobvault?" dialogue line instead of "This specific lady asked me to save you!".

Also half a dozen radiant quests broke because I cleared out areas before getting quests to clear them out and the game just had a stroke trying to tell me to kill enemies that didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

rodbeard posted:

It was all downhill for me after ME1. The game play was admittedly crude, but the later games didn't have the first ones charm. For a game that was supposed to be all about choices, I found it completely ridiculous that you die off screen in between one and two and then immediately get railroaded into working for obvious bad guy.

Killing Shepard off early was an easy way to get them out of the military's control and force them to work for Cerberus, a faction Shepard would normally stand against.

I do agree it's not a great plot hook. Technically Shepard in 2 is different from Shepard in the first game. It would have been better if Shepard got disgraced somehow and had to clear his name by working with Cerberus.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
They should have done the full schlock scifi cliffhanger in ME1 and just had your ship completely obliterated by Sovereign.

Did Shepard survive? Find out next week!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I know it's not really germane, but when playing ME1 everytime I heard about Sovereign, I would think of Sovereign Citizens start laughing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Also half a dozen radiant quests broke because I cleared out areas before getting quests to clear them out and the game just had a stroke trying to tell me to kill enemies that didn't exist.

But like, why do radiant quests exist. Does anybody really need even more meaningless stuff to do in a bethesda game? All they do for me is clog my drat quest log.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agents are GO! posted:

I know it's not really germane, but when playing ME1 everytime I heard about Sovereign, I would think of Sovereign Citizens start laughing.

Glad it's not just me. I like to imagine the one that gets its poo poo messed up by a giant worm in 3 is screaming "I DO NOT CONSENT! I DO NOT CONSENT!" as the worm leaps on it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Agent355 posted:

But like, why do radiant quests exist. Does anybody really need even more meaningless stuff to do in a bethesda game? All they do for me is clog my drat quest log.

I mean, I can get the general idea behind them. They're supposed to give you the impression that you're part of an actual living world where people and organisations actually take care of the routine things that they're known for. Like how in Skyrim if you're joining the Thieves Guild, you can actually just go out and, like, steal poo poo instead of going off on whatever barely related mystical shenanigans their main questline is actually about. Or that you can just knock off a bunch of raiders for a Jarl without having the whole thing spiral off into some giant conspiracy to revive an ancient evil to take over the land. It gives a sense of normalcy, that not every task is about upsetting the world order, and that certain organisations actually do poo poo and aren't just waiting for the protagonist to solve all their problems forever. Ideally that should serve as a contrast and make the truly large-scale quests look even more impressive by comparison.

Except as it turns out, taking care of unexceptional routine tasks is boring as poo poo, particularly if they're implemented as barebones as the radiant quests. And nobody in the history of ever has ever been critically short on money in a Bethesda game, so they don't even serve a mechanical purpose.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

I wouldn't mind the radiant quests if they didn't deactivate themselves or fail after a certain amount of time passes -though this only seems to happen for the Minute man quests though and you can just hold off on the rail road or brother hoods missions, heck you can even tell the BOS that you don't want to do quests right now and they'll stop asking you to do them.

I do have quite a few MM quests where I saved the hostage or cleared something out, but I didn't want to talk to Preston because he'd just start a new one so they just kind of grayed themselves out and can't be completed or anything.
Fallout 4 did manage to break me enough to stop caring about failed quests branding my quest log forever though due to how messy it is.

Also, the distress beacon glitch is the worst and I hate it. Please get out of my radio.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

scarycave posted:

I wouldn't mind the radiant quests if they didn't deactivate themselves or fail after a certain amount of time passes -though this only seems to happen for the Minute man quests though and you can just hold off on the rail road or brother hoods missions, heck you can even tell the BOS that you don't want to do quests right now and they'll stop asking you to do them.

The problem is, IIRC, you need to do them to advance factions to a point. So when you're at the point in the faction line where they want you to prove your loyalty by doing some rando missions for a bit, and then the game bugs out because it wants you to kill a super mutant whose corpse despawned five play sessions ago. Well, can't finish that faction's storyline anymore without using the console commands. And if I'm going to use console commands to bypass the game, I might as well just give myself the end-game rewards and not bother with the game's lovely writing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

I mean, I can get the general idea behind them. They're supposed to give you the impression that you're part of an actual living world where people and organisations actually take care of the routine things that they're known for. Like how in Skyrim if you're joining the Thieves Guild, you can actually just go out and, like, steal poo poo instead of going off on whatever barely related mystical shenanigans their main questline is actually about. Or that you can just knock off a bunch of raiders for a Jarl without having the whole thing spiral off into some giant conspiracy to revive an ancient evil to take over the land. It gives a sense of normalcy, that not every task is about upsetting the world order, and that certain organisations actually do poo poo and aren't just waiting for the protagonist to solve all their problems forever. Ideally that should serve as a contrast and make the truly large-scale quests look even more impressive by comparison.

Except as it turns out, taking care of unexceptional routine tasks is boring as poo poo, particularly if they're implemented as barebones as the radiant quests. And nobody in the history of ever has ever been critically short on money in a Bethesda game, so they don't even serve a mechanical purpose.

Yeah, the stuff you were saying is exactly why we're playing a loving fantasy game. We're the goddamned protagonist, if everything that happens to us is awesome that makes the game a good game. Not a realistic game, sure, but gently caress realism right in its restrained gore spatter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

Yeah, the stuff you were saying is exactly why we're playing a loving fantasy game. We're the goddamned protagonist, if everything that happens to us is awesome that makes the game a good game. Not a realistic game, sure, but gently caress realism right in its restrained gore spatter.

They should also be interesting enough to make you give a poo poo about completing them is all.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Somfin posted:

Witcher Contracts in 3 are a good comparison. You're a monster hunter, and you look for jobs that require the hunting of monsters. None of them felt like a procedural algorithm was creating these missions. They had a mission structure - talk to client, negotiate price, investigate site, research monster, encounter monster - but the quest could go either way in terms of killing a monster or finding alternative solutions.

Each contract could have been a serious side quest in any other rpg.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Schneider Inside Her posted:

They should have done the full schlock scifi cliffhanger in ME1 and just had your ship completely obliterated by Sovereign.

Did Shepard survive? Find out next week!

That was supposed to be how the game's DLC worked but that fizzled out after just one "episode".

Agents are GO! posted:

I had to do a lot of planet scanning to get enough resources for the gold fringe upgrade but it was definitely worth it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

radiant quests are stupid

why yes i DID do like a hundred radiant thieves guild quests to become the guildmaster

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Jul 29, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I loving love the hostess club side-quest in Yakuza 0, and if Sega expanded the mini-game into a full-title I would probably buy it but for the love of god, stop picking on Yuki. She's the highest-rated hostess at this club, had a good-looking playboy become obsessed with her, is repeatedly stated to be my club's star attraction, and everyone can't stop talking about how plain and unattractive she is. Stop it!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Just played through Fallout.

91 fuckin' rats!
:bahgawd:

(Screenshot from right before the confrontation with the Master, no idea when I got that eye damage)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

im pooping! posted:

radiant quests are stupid

why yes i DID do like a hundred radiant thieves guild quests to become the guildmaster

Hahahah you did the thieves guild quest, look at this chump

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You want to know the secret behind radiant quests? Todd needed something to give him an excuse for claiming exorbitant play times for his games. Enter Radiant, now every game is technically infinitely long thanks to the magic of repeating grind quests.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, I thought radiant quests were just things you stumbled across.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, I thought radiant quests were just things you stumbled across.

some of them are, but they are essentially endlessly repeating fetch quests generated on the spot from a pool of locations and npcs already in the game

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

wyoming posted:

91 fuckin' rats!

(Screenshot from right before the confrontation with the Master, no idea when I got that eye damage)

There is an unique trap in the corridor leading to the Master, which causes eye damage, unless you have superhigh agility or luck, or disable it.

The only indication of damage is something like "your eyes tingle" in the terminal.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wyoming posted:

91 fuckin' rats!

And they're not even giant mutant naked mole rats like in the 3d games, it's just a generic RPG trash mob rat.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
stop going outside at dark. they hunt at night, they stalk at night

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh yeah now for actual content: diablo 3 would be so much better if it werent ALWAYS ONLINE!!! YOU REMOVED THE loving AUCTION HOUSE, WHAT REASON IS THERE FOR IT TO BE ONLINE ALL THE TIME? I live in a place with deplorable to really bad internet, so for the game to have a constant 1000 latency issue is a bit annoying, especially when there's foes that all have the loving arcane effect which summons long laser beams that might as well flick you out of the game if you touch them

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Grim Dawn again. Some of the DOT effects are just too loving strong. I've been killed after 1 tick several times.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skyrim: when my unaware target suddenly janks five feet to the side to dodge an arrow mid-flight. And is still unaware.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oldstench posted:

Grim Dawn again. Some of the DOT effects are just too loving strong. I've been killed after 1 tick several times.

Yeah any sort of ground DOT effect can really gently caress you sideways. Which makes it really weird that there aren't any mobility skills to get you out of the way. If you're in the middle of casting a spell or something and a DOT appears under you, well, prepare to eat a ton of damage.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

oh yeah now for actual content: diablo 3 would be so much better if it werent ALWAYS ONLINE!!! YOU REMOVED THE loving AUCTION HOUSE, WHAT REASON IS THERE FOR IT TO BE ONLINE ALL THE TIME? I live in a place with deplorable to really bad internet, so for the game to have a constant 1000 latency issue is a bit annoying, especially when there's foes that all have the loving arcane effect which summons long laser beams that might as well flick you out of the game if you touch them

You can play offline in the console version. :smuggo:

Also 4-player local co-op, which is really cool since so few games do that now. Pretty much guarantees that, quality of the game aside, D3 gets a lot of play during the holidays in our house.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

rodbeard posted:

It was all downhill for me after ME1. The game play was admittedly crude, but the later games didn't have the first ones charm. For a game that was supposed to be all about choices, I found it completely ridiculous that you die off screen in between one and two and then immediately get railroaded into working for obvious bad guy.
I picked the start where cerberus hosed me over; they were obviously supremacist right-wing terrorists

the game itself is also a poo poo gameplay clone of Gears, only with pathetic weapon choice and irritating and bad minigames and boring characters that you never have time to actually learn about because the game itself is too short and you can still only have two losers with you even though you have like, 9 or more party members

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Give me a Diablo-Genre Game only:
  • There's actual level-design and not RNG Bob Ross.
  • I can change my mind about my character's build and respec with the gold in my pocket.
  • I can choose my character's appearance.
  • I can play it offline.
  • There are actual sidequests.
  • My character is an active agent in events and not some rando who hangs out with the real heroes.
  • There is quiet-time.
  • There aren't a million mooks on screen at once.
  • I pay up-front for the game and expansions and then nothing else.
  • Big numbers alone won't help me topple Gods unless I use some strategy.
This game either doesn't exist or is not in the genre any more.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Jul 30, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sacred 1 actually is probably what you're looking for. That was a good game, although with a really... "unique" skill system. Still fun though and it took place on a gigantic world map rather than corridors and stuff.

I think Sacred 2 was pretty close to the same idea but it just wasn't as good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hear Sacred 3 poo poo the bed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

• I can change my mind about my character's build and respec with the gold in my pocket.
  • My character is an active agent in events and not some rando who hangs out with the real heroes.

These apply to diablo 3 to some degree.

Why would you want a diablo-style game that doesn't have a million dudes on screen though? The biggest appeal of these games is watching as ten trillion skeletons lag out your computer only to suddenly explode in a shower of meat and gore because you clicked the AOE skill.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I hear Sacred 3 poo poo the bed.

Sacred 3 is a completely different style of game, and might as well not even use the name. Sacred 1 and 2 are great, though, and I liked that the different characters had unique semi-main quests and different starting points on the map.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

• There's actual level-design and not RNG Bob Ross.
  • I can choose my character's appearance.
  • I can play it offline.
  • There are actual sidequests.
  • There is quiet-time.
  • There aren't a million mooks on screen at once.

Sorta sounds like Nox. Except I guess the character appearance customization.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Although speaking of character customization is yet another thing about Grim Dawn that's kinda weird. You don't choose you class at character creation, all you do is get a name and a gender. But there's no other personality so all you get is a white man or white woman with no personality. Which... I mean, even the characters in Diablo 1 were different.

And it seems like it shouldn't matter since the camera is way zoomed out and full of explosions and stuff but between Dark Souls and Diablo 3 I put in a surprising amount of effort in dressing up my video game action doll and it's so strangely lackluster in GD despite it being a game newer than both.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

And it seems like it shouldn't matter since the camera is way zoomed out and full of explosions and stuff but between Dark Souls and Diablo 3 I put in a surprising amount of effort in dressing up my video game action doll and it's so strangely lackluster in GD despite it being a game newer than both.
My favorite thing is spending two hours making the perfect butt-faced man in Dark Souls, reveling in joy at my creation. Then putting on a helmet and never, ever again looking at my character's face.

As for actual on-topic things; Kingdom Hearts 2.5 is really not living up to my nostalgia for it, guys. Why are the enemies in this game so lovely? I remember having a blast with this game. But now that I'm old and slightly less dumb, I'm realizing that every other enemy in this game is just a bullshit fest of stunlock or has several seconds of invincibility where you just can't really hit it and have to wait until the game lets you hit it. Like "just spins in circles, trapping you for several seconds while doing damage" is something most enemies do as their only real attack and once you get hit, you're kind of stuck waiting until they stop so it just becomes a game of never getting hit or you're going to get chain stunned for most of your health. But like, in the first game hitting an enemy while they were attacking would knock you both out of your attack animations and give you a chance to counter-attack. In this game it just makes you bounce off of them while they power through and ruin your day anyway and since there's no dodge roll in this one unless you level up a specific drive form, combat just somehow feels clunkier and less engaging than the first game's.

There's even a boss fight fairly early on where you fight Yuffie, from Final Fantasy Seven, and Squall, from Final Fantasy Eight, and you fight the same pair in the first game. It was an easy fight in the first game with the ninja girl just throwing ninja stars at you and squall having a simple attack patterns you could counter or dodge. Both would bust out limit breaks when they were low on health. In this game, Yuffie spends the whole fight just teleporting right on top of you. In the middle of hitting the other guy? Nope, right on top of you, now your combo doesn't count because she blocks your attack mid-swing and counter-attacks you and there's nothing you can really do about it. Trying to kill her first? She actually has -more- health than he does for some reason, and spends the whole fight just warping around and spinning a giant ninja star in circles so you have maybe one second to hit her. She doesn't have any hit stun. Even when I had her health at zero it took me almost a minute to kill her because you could only land the killing blow between teleports. :shepface: Despite this, the fight was at no point hard in any way because while the cure spell does consume all of your MP in this game, your MP automatically recharges once it runs out effectively giving you infinite MP if you just want to walk in circles.

The most threatening enemy in this game isn't a boss, it's not sephiroth. It's not any of the other bonus bosses either. It's those loving cars that turn invincible and spend like thirty seconds charging straight at you over and over. Getting run down by an angry car will wreck your poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alright Yooka-Laylee, I'm done. You are too loaded with extremely basic issues to make working through your "collect 5 different kinds of poo poo" gameplay with some honestly egregious physics oversights enjoyable.

Since you're Banjo Kazooie, you have a talon trot move. Thankfully, you made it silent so it doesn't make hideous noises every second, but in punishment for going fast you put in an energy bar that depletes as I use it. Thought you could traverse this sprawling map? Take a breather, rear end in a top hat! Did you just gently caress up a platforming section that requires using this move? Sit still, fucker, you gotta wait for the bar to recharge before you try again.

Further, since you're a Banjo Kazooie look-a-like contestant, you decided that I can't skip any cutscenes, all of which consist of slowly loading text bubbles and 3 second looping sound clips. I'm glad I have to hear them over and over, especially because if I say, fail a minigame and want to try again there is no quick retry. I have to wait for you to finish honking at me that I lost and restart the conversation to have you honk explaining it to me again and then attempt it. God forbid you realize you can't succeed anymore during the minigame, you can't even quit out, you must finish your doomed run no matter how long that takes.

And again, since you're Banjo Kazooie's cousin it doesn't talk about in polite company, you've stolen Mumbo and his transformation wholesale. Its impressive then, that you decided that making them slow moving and make hideous noises literally every single step was a smart move. Even further making it confusing in the first level the form is unbearably slow but you put hint givers literal minutes of *HONK* *HONK* *HONK* movement away from where you start with the form, much less the area in the level you're supposed to use it. The hint givers, by the way, are useless.

One more time, since Banjo Kazooie won't return your phonecalls after you called it drunk for the 15th time, why the gently caress did you think "The Quiz from Banjo Kazooie was so much fun, we should make the player do that every single time they unlock a new stage" Why yes, I'd like to stop platforming and collecting poo poo to answer a quiz about things that I just played, but often include questions such as "What is the exact amount of the gubbins you had when you exited the level, and remember; to find out how many you have you need to go into a menu look at your actual total since the in-game total that counts up also counts down when you spend them on moves which you must collect!" God, I just love not playing the game to have slow speech bubbles crawl up on screen where if I gently caress up to many times I get the privilege of sitting through all that unskippable introduction and dialog again!

But finally, since you're rooting through Banjo Kazooie's trash you decided that your camera should just not work properly ever. Since the right thumbstick camera controls work about as well as me writing you a letter to code in actual camera functions, you also included a button that auto centers the camera behind Yooka. Except, it doesn't always auto center since it gets stuck on objects. Hell, sometimes, it doesn't even move immediately for reasons I can't figure out as though its pissed I'm asking it to do its job. That of course, overlooks the fact that constantly camera control is fully wrestled away and put in a fixed position, a fixed position which is often so tightly zoomed in its hard to see where you're supposed to jump, or in one of my personal favorite cases you do a small minigame where if you get hit you slide past a camera transition point so you end up having you controls and view shift so sharply that the developers of the original Resident Evil would stage an intervention for you, developers of Yooka-Laylee.

PS: Since you're desperately wearing Banjo Kazooie's clothes and trying to open up lines of credits in its name wishing you could be Banjo Kazooie instead of the failure you are you added a whole new massively disappointing feature where to play the entire level you have to exit the level, spend some of your collectibles, then re-enter the level or else parts of it are just flat out missing. Hope you didn't waste time platforming to areas that can't be finished yet with no indication that they can't be!

Barudak has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Jul 30, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Barudak posted:

PS: Since you're desperately wearing Banjo Kazooie's clothes and trying to open up lines of credits in its name wishing you could be Banjo Kazooie instead of the failure you are you added a whole new massively disappointing feature where to play the entire level you have to exit the level, spend some of your collectibles, then re-enter the level or else parts of it are just flat out missing. Hope you didn't waste time platforming to areas that can't be finished yet with no indication that they can't be!

I just expanded every world past the first one before I ever went into it.

Don't take this as me disagreeing with the rest of your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda broad, but the notion of playing Pokemon is always more interesting than actually playing it. Like, at first I decide to play, and then I realize I kinda have to optimize to beat the bosses. Then I remember that X% of the Pokemon I want to get are locked off because it's a choice between 2 or three, or only show up in the sister version of the game, and then pfft, there goes the motivation.

Pokemon Go almost fit that niche, but all the Pokemon Go poo poo comes up.