Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Normal Adult Human posted:

crach is terrific when skellige has a single non poo poo silver to base their entire faction around

this is funny because SK is the one faction that has a lot of good faction silvers

NR probably has the shittiest silvers and that's why so many of their decks run neutral silvers

crach is decent enough, he'll be better once they add more card that synergize with his leader ability

harald on the other hand is seriously sad

General Morden fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
The GwentUp team posted a new win% chart and in response, Rethaz went ahead and posted statistics from CDPR's own stats

CDPR Rethaz posted:

I've held off on doing this for some times because I am sure the guys at GWENTUP only mean well, but these statistics do not portray the full picture of what is happening in the game. They paint a skewed view of what is really happening in the game and many players are taking it at face value as facts.

I will touch very lightly on leader popularity and say that for the majority of the ranked system we see a good and fairly even distribution that we are generally happy with. The only exception to this is Harald the Cripple.
However at the top end of the game we have a large subset of competitive players that tend to switch exclusively towards whatever is deemed the "best" by our top players, this leads to a much narrower distribution of leaders. In reality there is little we can do to combat this other than by limiting certain mechanics so that mathematically they cannot generate more than the intended points for the color of the card (Bronze, Silver, Gold). The trade off is that in many cases this leads to those cards being less interesting and fun (for the user) because they cannot generate large point swings or the same moments of drama. We try to judge how and when to do this, a recent example of this is Villen, who is now less interesting, but ultimately more balanced.
Despite what some of you may believe, Dagon's peak play rate is lower than Crach's was during the Skellige meta, which in turn was lower than the Calveit peak during the Nilfgaard meta.

Regarding win-rates:
For example I can tell you that in the lowest brackets Brouver Hoog actually has a win rate of 53.21% in contrast to what is presented here as 43.1%. The lowest his win-rate ever drops to within a specific MMR range is 45.99%. Across the entire ranked system Brouver's win-rate averages out to roughly 50.39%.
The Highest win-rate in the top MMR bracket is King Bran at 55.8%, the Lowest is Harald the Cripple with 47.21%. The difference between these is 8.59%. In contrast the GWENTUP Data shows the highest win-rate comes from Dagon at 54.9% and the lowest comes from Harald the Cripple a 37.7%, the difference here is significantly more at 17.2%.

I am going to post the current win-rates at the top end of MMR per leader for the last week. I am not going to make a habit of this though, so please do not expect it with every patch / week.

King Bran - 55.8
Unseen Elder - 54.95
Dagon - 54.91
Eithne - 53.92
Eredin - 53.92
Foltest - 53.49
Henselt - 52.33
Jan Calveit - 52.12
Crach an Craite - 51.84
Radovid - 51.70
Brouver Hoog - 51.0
Francessca - 48.81
Emhyr Var Emeris - 48.43
Morvran Voorhis - 47.26
Harald the Cripple - 47.21

Here's a graphical representation of how this looks on a 0-100% scale:

There are many factors that play into the above, it doesn't specifically mean King Bran is the best and if I play him I will win more, the issue is far more complex than that. The fact that the majority of them are this close is a positive sign from our perspective, we'd obviously like these to be closer together though and this is something we work towards making happen with each update.

In summary, all leaders in GWENT are viable, in-fact the majority of cards in general are viable and far too many are discounted too quickly or called "trash" (note I said majority). There are and always have been people who maintain 50%+ win-rates and higher playing whatever is considered the weakest Faction / Leader (for example Nilfgaard at the moment).

The popularity of leaders is very much community driven and in all honesty there's very little that we can do to change that.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I mean they have good silvers for specific archetypes but it's not the same as Bran dropping 19 points and thinning your deck of 3 bronzes

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Like u can design your deck to fetch a specific silver as crach or you can play discard skellige and make your deck 70% non-bronze cards in 4 turns as bran

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I'll swap out Crach simply because he's basically never a bad card to use. You get two cards for the price of one, and he can set up some great combos. I usually have him call in those An Craite axemen guys who take damage when they enter the field; I have one in my hand, Crach always calls the other, and those two damaged units side-by-side can be boosted half of 10 or 11 points when I use the card that boosts damaged units by half their power. Being able to set up a combo that isn't reliant on my graveyard is actually a great counter if somebody tries to turn my dead against me; I can still call in some large numbers to make an attempt at a defense.

Of course, the flaw is that this requires a good hand to make work. Bran can always do a minimum five damage and he can keep going and going if you have a line-up of weaklings. He's not great against a deck like mine, since I put up big numbers on errybody, but I can definitely see him being a very effective counter to NR and Monster decks.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
And there are so many variants of discard skellige it basically comprises all the skellige decks that aren't damage or Kambi (I think most Kambi decks still run Bran)

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Half of Bran's strength is honestly turning your hand+deck into 45% non-bronze and doing a 19 point play because of how trivial it is to keep raiders out of your opening hand

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Wait am I misunderstanding or is Rethaz seriously claiming that 11 out of the 15 leaders have a positive win rating? How the gently caress does that math work out?

Dude should really just stop posting on Reddit. When you're a company PR person and some people are complaining all you need to do is go "I understand why many people are frustrated by [issue], we're looking into this, thanks for your continued support". Implying that all the leaders and factions are equally viable also indirectly implies that everyone trying and failing to run Emhyr is just bad at the game.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

Subvisual Haze posted:

Wait am I misunderstanding or is Rethaz seriously claiming that 11 out of the 15 leaders have a positive win rating? How the gently caress does that math work out?

I wonder if it counts draws as wins for both since Gwent is kind of unique in that regard.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah something is up with that math because if you average them all out it comes out to a 52% win rate. I'm not a rocket scientist but that doesn't seem correct.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
Or it's high mmr players getting matched against lower mmr opponents who are not included in the statistic

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Reminds me of the time Ben Brode came in to the hearthstone reddit to say that the obviously-overpowered shaman class was A-OK because its winrate was totally fine...at the lowest possible ranks where you can't lose stars and half the players are rank noobs with default decks.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah something is up with that math because if you average them all out it comes out to a 52% win rate. I'm not a rocket scientist but that doesn't seem correct.

The only way it could possibly balance is if the sole 4 with losing rates accounted for an enormous percentage of the decks played. And why wouldn't you buy that Emhyr/Harold/Voorhis/Francesca account for almost half the decks played in highest part of the ladder? Doesn't that match everyone else's experience?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I see Emhyr played quite a lot in the NG decks I come across. I don't really know why, he's not that exciting but revealing cards can do cool stuff for NG I guess.

Radovid is honestly one of the best leaders, yet most people run Foltest still. And nobody runs Henselt (except me, if for some insane reason I feel like playing NR)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah I thought the ladder worked like Hearthstone and once you got past 4500 you started doing ranked play, so i was just taking it easy doing my dailies, hey neat I'm almost up to legend but no actually I'm top 150 in North America now :wth: wait am I actually good at this game?

at that point I immediately started outthinking myself and losing a bunch of games I would have won otherwise, took a while to stabilize again. Take it easy, fun game no pressure. I was doing all sorta wrong stuff, even queued up the wrong deck once on accident. 'Course, playing smarter players means the game's way more difficult now. Don't get to see much of the round one misplay oops emote (PLAYER HAS FORFEITED)

A lot of games do seem to come down to who draws their golds, so yeah Bran is great for that.

Still mad that it denied me a bunch of kegs by not starting me at the bottom of the ladder tho. I'm an RPG dude I just wanna level up a bunch until the game is too easy and then I start playing a different game

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 30, 2017

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I get why Radovid is the lowest wr NR leader, you don't shut down anything meaningful with 4 points of damage and all the non-witcher plays are so low tempo you virtually always have the option to pass with one card advantage against any variant

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Problem with Radovid is you know they have it. Kinda trivial to play around and bait that out.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Also some decks are simply built without cards that are super afraid of getting locked. If they don't have any good abilities to lock, radovid is only 13 points, whereas foltest's 5 + 1 on bronzes will probably add up to a lot more than that, and henselt will easily surpass that with 2 + 2 bronzes, especially the obvious choices of reavers / sergeants, and foltest and henselt aren't as concerned about which cards your opponent is playing.

Also I bet emhyr's winrate remains low because every single player I see playing him at low mmr just plays rot tossers over and over, instead of, say, vanhemar for extra frosts / tremors, picking units out of weather, locking a huge number of things with auckes... perhaps that is the rot tosser's fault for being easy to counter. :v:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Trogdos! posted:

Or it's high mmr players getting matched against lower mmr opponents who are not included in the statistic

Actually that would explain the data.

It would not explain why said data was collected that way, or is in any way useful or relevant for any kind of assessment, but at least it explains why the math makes no loving sense.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Captainicus posted:

Also some decks are simply built without cards that are super afraid of getting locked. If they don't have any good abilities to lock, radovid is only 13 points, whereas foltest's 5 + 1 on bronzes will probably add up to a lot more than that, and henselt will easily surpass that with 2 + 2 bronzes, especially the obvious choices of reavers / sergeants, and foltest and henselt aren't as concerned about which cards your opponent is playing.

Also I bet emhyr's winrate remains low because every single player I see playing him at low mmr just plays rot tossers over and over, instead of, say, vanhemar for extra frosts / tremors, picking units out of weather, locking a huge number of things with auckes... perhaps that is the rot tosser's fault for being easy to counter. :v:
I wish he strengthened things, like decoy but not removable, and maybe could shift golds? Though with Cahir that would be triple Vilgefortz which would be kinda nuts with Golems as a way to burn through your deck.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Class Warcraft posted:

The more I think about this the more bullshit it is. No matter the explanation for how rethaz got those numbers, the fact that they don't sum to a 50% win rate means he is trying to prove gwentup wrong with data that isn't even measuring the same thing. I'm hoping he just made a mistake not realizing that he was making an apples and oranges comparison. Not that gwentup's data is perfect but it is dishonest to try to discredit it using incomparable data.

Honestly they should just release the raw matchup data if they don't want people making their own guesses.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Its impossible to have a greater than 50% winrate - a whole bunch of people, for some reason

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I wish they wouldn't release these numbers mostly because people are so infuriatingly bad at interpreting them.

That said, there's something fucky going on here. There's absolutely no reason the numbers have to average out to 50% - but in this case the high average winrate would imply the lower winrate leaders are more heavily played. Given that I'm pretty confident that Emhyr/Francesca/Harald/Morvran don't make up well over half of the metagame, something isn't right.

I suspect Trogdos! has explained it correctly, but that's a very weird way to crunch those numbers.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 30, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah other games have this data problem too, where bronze players are reported to have a 45% winrate and grandmasters a 55% winrate. It must be the same sort of data error that makes the top end of the mmr here have a >50% win rate.

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008
Delete Bekker's Twisted RNG from the game please.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Did he really just say that it's not their fault if the best players all play the same deck because it's clearly the best? Isn't that a balance problem?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

moush posted:

Did he really just say that it's not their fault if the best players all play the same deck because it's clearly the best? Isn't that a balance problem?

But its really not a problem at the moment. Deck variety is pretty good given the small current card pool especially. We have:

Dagon Swarm
Consume
Wild hunt frost type deck
Radovid Control
Foltest - reaver hunter
Hensalt - Reaver hunter
Dorfs
Elves
Mulligan
Queensguard
Pure Discard
Reveal
Cal Control
Axemen

All seen regularly at >4k mmr, that's a huge amount of variety and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

moush posted:

I read it as him saying that they can't do anything about streamers and other vocal 'experts' declaring this and that as the best / meta which leads to people playing those leaders/decks. =Popularity is community driven.

It's true that ~the meta~ has shifted quite a bit since the patch which to me indicates that those meta decks weren't 'clearly the best' after all.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Trogdos! posted:

I read it as him saying that they can't do anything about streamers and other vocal 'experts' declaring this and that as the best / meta which leads to people playing those leaders/decks. =Popularity is community driven.

It's true that ~the meta~ has shifted quite a bit since the patch which to me indicates that those meta decks weren't 'clearly the best' after all.

There's also the fact that a lot of people like to play anti-meta decks. The goal of the developers shouldn't really be perfect balance because that's basically impossible or really boring (eg. all units are identical). What they should do is ensure no deck is completely uncountable.

META deck has many giant buffed units -> People play decks with mushrooms/Scorch/Bork/graveyard hate based around beating them
META deck is many small units -> People start to tech in mass AOE or bloody baron

And so on and so forth, a good META should keep moving as people exploit the 'META deck' and then it in turn gets counter exploited and so on in a big old loop.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Just hit 4k mmr with a tempo - bork & scortch nilfguard

No reason for this post I'm just happy.

Been playing this myself after I couldn't progress any further with my standard spy deck. Been working quite well so far around the 3700MMR level, as so many opposing decks at that level rely on the buff-in-deck-when-X-happens finishers. It can put down some solid tempo in R1 as well, but what I also like is that it doesn't have to win R1 as long as you can maintain CA; even -0.5 CA or better and Borkh will still scorch all their identical finishers in the end. And if you have CA yourself in the last round, then they're almost always hosed.

Edit: Wow, went 8-0 with this deck today somehow. Last game was against a Dagon who helpfully Trissbutted his entire board to the same strength except two stronger units. He was not happy when I scorched those two before Borkh went off. Bastard forfeited before I got to watch his entire board burn to ash, though... :saddowns:

dennyk fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 30, 2017

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I'm not sure what qualifies as the top ranks of the ladder, but I've mostly been playing in the top 5k-10k range I'd say the current metagame is the most diverse since the start of open beta. Dagon still feels like the strongest leader, but way, way easier to counter than past top decks, and also not as rampant as stuff like sk axemen was, or as boring to play against as the calviet meta before that. That's just anecdotal, but honestly, anecdotal evidence is about as useful as any of the stats that have been given out recently.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers that dev posted on reddit are accurate, since you need to have a greater than 50% winrate to climb much past 4k mmr. It really just depends on how the stats were collected - what's obvious is that they are using a different methodology than the gwentUp people. Unfortunately without more information the numbers don't mean much in the end, because we can't really know what they are describing.

I've also always suspected that the stats from gwentup are mostly garbage. It has the same problem (not saying how it was collected, what data was used, etc). It's possible that they're recording data from both the user and their opponent, which would skew things a lot. Only counting data from opponents would be better, since otherwise these charts are just showing what gwentup users are playing, rather than what the general population is playing. But that's just speculation - again it's impossible to really know anything other than that they're looking at this a different way from the developers.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The developers numbers make more sense if you dont read it as pure win/lose and instead as mmr gain/loss.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've already got some OK golds for a bunch of decks so I was looking for some amusing gag decks... is it time to craft Xarthisus and treason? ... does Xarthisius even work on golds?

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 31, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Captainicus posted:

I've already got some OK golds for a bunch of decks so I was looking for some amusing gag decks... is it time to craft Xarthisus and treason? ... does Xarthisius even work on golds?
I know Treason doesn't, which is ridiculous...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Xarthisius does work on golds, but alas, Treason doesn't. As a result, it's not as great a combo as it sounds, sadly; the odds of there being a silver card that's useful to you in your opponent's top three are already slim, and moving a card to the bottom of the deck is often as much of a denial as stealing it with Treason unless your opponent is running a ton of thinning. About the only plus is that you can use Xar to make sure you ain't gonna Scorch yourself with your opponent's Scorch or something equally detrimental. About the only place you'll see Treason used is in hardcore mill decks, and that's really just for the milling, not for actually getting any benefit from whatever random card you pull with it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Dang, it sounded like a funny gimmick... maybe I'll go for Iorveth to go with my Aard Geralt. I guess the only use for treason is to steal something that has to be on the bottom of the deck, like nekkers from nekker warrior. Somehow I don't think nekkers are going to be so problematic as to make this a desirable strategy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ok so, I've finished most of the challenges (except Scoietal) and am now undefeatedin the super beginner leagues of haven'tevenunlockedranked. Fear me.

What deck should I aim for?

I like the idea of returning stuff to hand and replaying so I've only been using Emhyr. Plus I got lucky the other day snagging Leo, who definitely helps and is probably the strongest card in my deck by quite a fair bit. Is there a deck that revolves around some sort of return to hand / resurrect / discard shenanigans that I could aim for? Reading the last few pages and it seems Nilfgaard might be underpowered in higher level play. I realise I'm quite a while a ways from that but eh, might as well keep a lookout now. And if I know the decks that prominently feature these mechanics I enjoy I could look up replays/games with them.

I also snagged Woodland Spirit for Monsters in my latest keg, if that makes a difference.

PS - There's no equivalent to Hearthstone's Arena atm right? I've been freely buying kegs whee.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Artelier posted:

Ok so, I've finished most of the challenges (except Scoietal) and am now undefeatedin the super beginner leagues of haven'tevenunlockedranked. Fear me.

What deck should I aim for?

I like the idea of returning stuff to hand and replaying so I've only been using Emhyr. Plus I got lucky the other day snagging Leo, who definitely helps and is probably the strongest card in my deck by quite a fair bit. Is there a deck that revolves around some sort of return to hand / resurrect / discard shenanigans that I could aim for? Reading the last few pages and it seems Nilfgaard might be underpowered in higher level play. I realise I'm quite a while a ways from that but eh, might as well keep a lookout now. And if I know the decks that prominently feature these mechanics I enjoy I could look up replays/games with them.

I also snagged Woodland Spirit for Monsters in my latest keg, if that makes a difference.

PS - There's no equivalent to Hearthstone's Arena atm right? I've been freely buying kegs whee.

I came across a guy playing Emhyr in top 50 global a couple days ago. It's not unplayable, at least.

If you want the easiest climb, Discard Skellige is very powerful and has the resurrect/graveyard stuff.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It's kind of funny how Bran managed to sneak into the most played and most winning leader at the top of the ladder. Everyone was expecting huge shakeups after the weather changes but somehow Monsters and Skellige remain remarkably durable factions.

(Once again, its all about the bronzes. Priestesses of Freya and resurrection mechanic syngergizing with discard for SK, monsters with their much elaborated on harpies and carryover/swarm mechanics.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I'm really enjoying Queensguard, it's such a chill deck to pilot. Buff them up in graveyard, play some discard stuff, then bleed the decks down like crazy. I mostly like how the flow of the game is so different, you can set up such nasty burst damage via a single res in the later rounds that it changes round one calculations regarding card advantage. Going down 2 cards is no big deal at all, I've won going down by 3 a couple times. That it has a natural second win condition via pirate captains is just icing on the cake.

A properly teched monster deck will naturally wreck it (gryphon, katakan, caretaker), but outside of that it's surprisingly effective and straightforward to run.