Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm seeing Icebear pop up in my Craigslist auto-search emails. Are they just another Chinese off-brand or worth actual consideration? My gut reaction is that if that question is being asked, it's the former, but it never hurts to inquire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chinesium

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to borrow that term.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/6205643181.html

So yeah this just blew that Buddy 50 out of the water. Newer model year, lower mileage, no faded plastics, and I didn't think I'd like seafoam green but I really like seafoam green. Plus he'll deliver.

I may have to take an IOU from the savings account. I swore I wasn't going to buy before I sold the Elite but goddamn it's awesome and cute.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That thing is cute! Good purchase; I love the seafoam green, too.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MJP posted:

I'm going to borrow that term.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/6205643181.html

So yeah this just blew that Buddy 50 out of the water. Newer model year, lower mileage, no faded plastics, and I didn't think I'd like seafoam green but I really like seafoam green. Plus he'll deliver.

I may have to take an IOU from the savings account. I swore I wasn't going to buy before I sold the Elite but goddamn it's awesome and cute.

This looks like a solid price for a solid bike and a WAY better deal than the 50cc at $1200.

And I have it on good authority that a Buddy 125 will power wheelie with the full NCY transmission kit, but I can't speak from firsthand experience.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This looks like a solid price for a solid bike and a WAY better deal than the 50cc at $1200.

And I have it on good authority that a Buddy 125 will power wheelie with the full NCY transmission kit, but I can't speak from firsthand experience.

Yeah, my fallback is going to be hitting up the 50cc dude and trying to use this as leverage. I've been in communication with the 125 guy and we have yet to get a hard confirm but I really do want to move on it. It's going to look awesome with the front rack - that's a Vespa style cue which I just love. Plus I can use it for outsize cargo once I track down small ratcheting tie-downs.

That's the one thing I'll miss about the giant Monokey case on my Elite - that sucker can hold a case of soda and then some. I've been stowing my laptop bag in there to and from the train station, but I'm sure it'll fit on the front hook of a Buddy.

Edit: and gently caress me, the 125 seller said the deal is off, "something happened on this end" and he hasn't replied to my text asking if it was just a scheduling conflict or if someone else bought the bike. My attempt to leverage that against the other Buddy failed, he won't go below $1150.

I do hopefully have someone coming tonight for my Elite but I'm gonna miss having two wheels. Seems like I gotta get the orange one or learn some patience and see what else comes on the market.

Edit 2: Got the orange Buddy 50 guy to $1050, and he'll give me ratchet tiedowns and a 2x4 so we can get the sucker home in a Lowe's rental pickup. It's not a 125 but it's powerful enough and got me to 40 in short order on a test ride. It ain't perfect but it's pretty and that's what matters most in the world. Sorry for all the e/n.

Edit 3 (it's either this or doubleposting): do I need to change engine oil in the 2-strokes, or just keep the oil tank full of 2-stroke oil for everything?

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 7, 2017

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's an '87 Helix near me with 24k miles, runs, but needs new tires...for $600. Everything I've read about the Helix says it's a pretty drat good scoot. Am I obligated to have a look at that price?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Cindy Shitbird posted:

There's an '87 Helix near me with 24k miles, runs, but needs new tires...for $600. Everything I've read about the Helix says it's a pretty drat good scoot. Am I obligated to have a look at that price?

Buy it, or tell me where it is so I can buy it. There's a guy near me with a 10k '87 who won't budge from $1900. And that's the cheapest one around :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Yes you are. The helix is a good bike with a good motor and a lot of storage in the rear trunk. They'll run forever and go on the highway.

Also at 24k you'll probably need to do the valves if the PO hasn't, but good news, the valves are externally adjustable with only a socket wrench and you don't have to take anything apart other than the side plastic to get to the motor.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

red19fire posted:

Buy it, or tell me where it is so I can buy it. There's a guy near me with a 10k '87 who won't budge from $1900. And that's the cheapest one around :negative:

Be my guest, it's been up for a week. I was off by 4,000 miles, but: https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/6200926275.html

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Gets to 40 and beyond. I'll probably de-restrict it at some point once I overcome my phobia of working on engine internals.

Can't wait to order the chrome racks for front and rear and color-match trunk so I can pretend I've got a Vespa.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
drat I haven't seen that color scheme before, which is funny cause I work at a Genuine dealer. That's nice.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If it goes 40mph it's probably already been derestricted, or was never restricted in the first place. Some new weights and a multivar are a good way to get a few extra mph out if it with basically no downside.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
I guess I've started a dustbuster collection.

:haw: :haw: :haw:

Kebbins fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 9, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

80s.gif right there. Those are so cool.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
80s Elites are good Elites, and if you agree you should watch Devo's commercial for them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6lSvgsdvyI

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

drat I haven't seen that color scheme before, which is funny cause I work at a Genuine dealer. That's nice.

I really don't know how the inner body plastics got to that tone, and I don't care, because It Just Works so well.

open24hours posted:

If it goes 40mph it's probably already been derestricted, or was never restricted in the first place. Some new weights and a multivar are a good way to get a few extra mph out if it with basically no downside.

How difficult is the install for someone who only has a basic socket set, normal household hand tools, zero experience, and paranoia of screwing up and dying in a fiery wreck?

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
The one on the left is an 85 and the one on the right is an 84. I definitely prefer the headpiece of the 85, I guess my dream would be to put that headpiece on a body with the pop-up headlight, that'd be a slight ride.

I honestly can't stand the look of Elite 250 for some reason and the later elites look like dildos.

But I adore these angular little guys.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MJP posted:

How difficult is the install for someone who only has a basic socket set, normal household hand tools, zero experience, and paranoia of screwing up and dying in a fiery wreck?

It's pretty easy. The only difficult bit is cracking the nut on the variator, but if you buy or make the special tool to do that you shouldn't have any problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHM8i4z8XeU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Be my guest, it's been up for a week. I was off by 4,000 miles, but: https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/6200926275.html

88 Helix for $1200 with 8k miles. NO SCANNERS, guess his head might explode

https://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/6186684540.html

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

open24hours posted:

It's pretty easy. The only difficult bit is cracking the nut on the variator, but if you buy or make the special tool to do that you shouldn't have any problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHM8i4z8XeU

The sheer amount of tools that I don't have is kinda nuts.

I was wondering, though - does the performance exhaust that's available for a Buddy do anything to the sound of the motor? I liked how the Elite is a bit throatier. It'd be nice to get that sound back and I don't know how much of that came from the exhaust.

That and tires - they make white sidewall tires, oh dear god, is it difficult to remove the wheels because I have to have white sidewall tires in my life.

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 9, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kebbins posted:

I honestly can't stand the look of Elite 250 for some reason and the later elites look like dildos.

:ssj: I will fight you

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MJP posted:

The sheer amount of tools that I don't have is kinda nuts.

I was wondering, though - does the performance exhaust that's available for a Buddy do anything to the sound of the motor? I liked how the Elite is a bit throatier. It'd be nice to get that sound back and I don't know how much of that came from the exhaust.

That and tires - they make white sidewall tires, oh dear god, is it difficult to remove the wheels because I have to have white sidewall tires in my life.

Performance exhausts will change the sound but, being a 2-stroke instead of a 4-stroke, it'll always sound a bit ring-ding-dingdingding. It's just what they do. Embrace it. It's awesome. You can probably YouTube videos of every exhaust available for the Buddy 50 if you want to hear them.

And beware whitewall tires. There might be nice ones out there, but most scooter whitewalls available are bad tires with bad grip.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Performance exhausts will change the sound but, being a 2-stroke instead of a 4-stroke, it'll always sound a bit ring-ding-dingdingding. It's just what they do. Embrace it. It's awesome. You can probably YouTube videos of every exhaust available for the Buddy 50 if you want to hear them.

And beware whitewall tires. There might be nice ones out there, but most scooter whitewalls available are bad tires with bad grip.

So these are no good? D:
https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Tire-Whitewall-30-x-10-Genuine-Bud-50-Buddy-Kick-P13213.aspx

Also, is there a way to mount extra bags on a rear rack so they're on the sides of the rack, hanging down? I dig the sport touring style and would love to drop the Prima roll cases on the sides under the K-Max or similar top case.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 10, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy michelin boppers or reggae's or S1's or whatever fits. They make drat good scooter tires.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: white sidewalls ;_;

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MJP posted:

So these are no good? D:
https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Tire-Whitewall-30-x-10-Genuine-Bud-50-Buddy-Kick-P13213.aspx

Also, is there a way to mount extra bags on a rear rack so they're on the sides of the rack, hanging down? I dig the sport touring style and would love to drop the Prima roll cases on the sides under the K-Max or similar top case.

Yeah, probably not. Prima is Scooterworks' house brand and who knows who actually makes those tires. Probably Vee? Maybe Shinko? Neither are brands I'd run, honestly. I do know some established makers sell whitewalls. There's the Continental K62 and the Schwalbe Weatherman that I can think of. Just do some research, check out modernbuddy.com and whatever other forum posts you can find with anecdotes about tire performance. Most of them are probably fine just maybe not good, and whether you'd notice with your riding style (aggressiveness, weather) is something only you can determine. But you only have two tiny little contact patches between you and possible death, so be thoughtful in your tire choices.

As for bags, have you looked at scooter saddlebags? I won a set of https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scooter-Logic-Saddlebag/dp/B00386LMZU at a raffle years ago and have only used them a few times, but they seem pretty well-made. The two bags are attached with two straps that go under the seat, across, the seat storage, and then you close the seat on them. If I had paid for them my complaints would be that they're pretty small and that the straps are barely long enough to fit my (apparently wide) Zuma 125.
e: also you need to do something to keep them from scratching your paint. I just put down a layer of masking tape before I used them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

As for bags, have you looked at scooter saddlebags? I won a set of https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scooter-Logic-Saddlebag/dp/B00386LMZU at a raffle years ago and have only used them a few times, but they seem pretty well-made. The two bags are attached with two straps that go under the seat, across, the seat storage, and then you close the seat on them. If I had paid for them my complaints would be that they're pretty small and that the straps are barely long enough to fit my (apparently wide) Zuma 125.
e: also you need to do something to keep them from scratching your paint. I just put down a layer of masking tape before I used them.

I had those, and I had them in purple. The black ones were unavailable at any price, so it's good to see that you can at least cough up for less ugly. They're just nylon bags, so no paint scraping was involved.

That said I was hoping for smaller bags that would mount from the rack as to not complicate the side of the scooter itself. Also I wasn't a fan of the shapelessness of those bags. I'm guessing nothing exists for what I'm thinking of - it'd just kinda be dangling under the rack, probably not well-secured.

If I was going to go the route of using the seat to secure the bags I'd probably do the Prima bags here: http://www.scooterhighway.com/0400-1020-sad-prm-sad.html or these Viking bags: https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-bags-eagl-scooter-saddlebags The latter can lock, which is cool, and they secure to the sides with Velcro strips that you adhere on.

In another world I'd have a Honda ST or similar sport touring actual motorcycle, but this isn't that world.

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 11, 2017

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This guy's ad is down to $325. I still feel like there's something fishy he's not mentioning, and the service manual has no thrust washer at that particular spot. Still feels scammy, but maybe i could part it out on ebay if it doesn't pan out.

E: New ad: https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/honda-elite/6197463457.html

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 14, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Baleeted

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

red19fire posted:

This guy's ad is down to $325. I still feel like there's something fishy he's not mentioning, and the service manual has no thrust washer at that particular spot. Still feels scammy, but maybe i could part it out on ebay if it doesn't pan out.

E: New ad: https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/honda-elite/6197463457.html

He mentions there's no title. That's a pain.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Kebbins posted:

He mentions there's no title. That's a pain.

Yeah, I've done the vermont thing before, and the VIN didn't pop on the state MVC website so it's not necessarily a strike against :shrug:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Installed the new condenser today. No change. Started digging around checking continuity and I metered the spark plug wire. Ended up finding a tiny blown fuse inside the spark plug boot. "Bypassed" it but still no spark.

Definitely getting output out of the stator, I'm thinking the HT coil might be bad and I'm not 100% confident in the spark plug wire. Ordered a new coil and wire and hopefully I can get it to spark!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone have any experience with scooters in SE Asia? Just moved here and I know one is in my future but I know dick about them.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone have any experience with scooters in SE Asia? Just moved here and I know one is in my future but I know dick about them.

Before I knew anything about them I rented a 50cc Honda scooter in Thailand and it was loving terrifying. The driving there makes the holland tunnel in NYC feel like total beginner poo poo. There are seemingly no rules and the majority of traffic in the city is made up of scooters and motorcycles and tuktuks blazing through and around everything including good stretches on the wrong side of the road with tons of unpredictable filtering at all times and riding through thick crowds of pedestrians. That's my experience.

rally fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 22, 2017

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My dude come to Vietnam. The exact same thing happens but a 1/3 the speed. I'm in Ho Chi Minh City and everyone is completely relaxed while blatantly disregarding traffic laws. Funnily enough I feel safer here with next-to-no gear than I ever did on a "full sized" motorcycle in an aerostitch onepiece back home. I was just wondering if anyone had brand or model experience as the resources I'm seeing are mostly in VN or Thai. Shopping a Yamaha Exciter vs a Honda Winner, etc, is difficult.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Springfield Fatts posted:

Rented 125cc scooters in Thailand. Had blast. The helmets we got was totally inadequate though. Friends who lived there said being slightly drunk helps understanding the traffic flow. Didn't try that though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.lithiumcycles.com/

This is probably the first electric bike I've seen that looks interesting and isn't outrageously priced. I'd love to try one out.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Electric bicycles are weird to me. Most of them are so expensive that they compete with 50-150cc scooters, but are obviously slower and with worse range, though they have a slight advantage in their access to bike infrastructure. But they're so expensive that you can't leave them locked outside, like you might with a regular pedal bicycle, while also being too heavy to easily carry indoors. Scooters and bicycles already overlap a lot in their set of advantages and disadvantages, and I don't really see where electric bicycles bring something new to that area. All the downsides of both with no new upside.

Plus I hate these electric motherfuckers passing me on my human-powered bicycle on cycle paths at 20+ mph without ever announcing themselves :argh:

I mean this thing looks rad, but $4,500?

Monday M1
They say it's good for 40 mph but that it's limited to 25mph to be California-legal as an electric bicycle (WA is 20mph). I'm guessing the real reason for the 25mph limiter and the pedals is to not have to qualify yourself as a motor vehicle manufacturer.

But then, if you've really got a hardon for the moped aesthetic and want a new vehicle from a boutique maker, you can get an Indigan for like $1,900. And Tomos is back in the US, too, and would probably be cheaper still. But then you're burning dirty 2-stroke oil.

In pedalless electric scooter news Honda has indicated the EV-Cub might actually be out in '18, which is exciting:

If it's even 1/100th as successful as the original Cub it would be loving monumental.

Piaggio might beat them as first major manufacturer with an electric scooter (not to get into what "scooter" means and whether or not the Cub is one) with the Vespa Elecctrica:

Vespa and electrics, what could possibly go wrong here?

And in more boutiquey news I keep rooting for Fido Motors to actually build their thing:

I think it's a cool-looking bike and a very practical concept. These guys are in MI, but actually started in Seattle. The guy behind it ran a shop here called Sound Speed Scooters that primarily worked on vintage Vespas and similar, but also was the first retail shop I ever saw actually selling electric-assist bicycles. They also apparently did electric conversions on vintage Vespa frames but I don't think I saw one in the flesh. Dude has clearly been into electrics for a long time.

Electric bicycles are just weird though. Like, is CA the place to talk about them? Or YLLS? Maybe they need their own subform along with the Boosted boards and Solowheels?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

though they have a slight advantage in their access to bike infrastructure.
This is the main draw for me, my city has a really good network of paved cycle trails that it would be ideal for.

As for where to discuss them, this seems like the right place for that one. Seems more similar to a moped than a bicycle. Other types might be better suited to other forums though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

open24hours posted:

https://www.lithiumcycles.com/

This is probably the first electric bike I've seen that looks interesting and isn't outrageously priced. I'd love to try one out.
Those fat tires make me think that's going to suck pedaling unassisted. I don’t understand why more e-bike manufacturers don't just use moped rims so they can have DOT rated tires. I mean some do, but not many.