Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Guardians of the Galaxy brought back Peter Quill after his mommy issues had been resolved in the previous film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just in time to resolve his daddy issues!

A good movie can find things to do with characters, generally. Sometimes that means offing them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It brought back groot too

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Alien Resurrection would have been better without Ripley.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

That's actually a good idea.

I love me some Sigourney but not having Ripley in it at all would have been good for the series.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

rydiafan posted:

I get a little annoyed at people who bring up up that Alien Isolation game as the true Aliens sequel, having Ripley's daughter meet a Xenomorph is loving stupid.

The entire series is falling into the Star Wars trap where it's always the same people and everything gets over explained.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does it say "Game over, man!" in that game when you die

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I get a little annoyed at people who bring up up that Alien Isolation game as the true Aliens sequel, having Ripley's daughter meet a Xenomorph is loving stupid.

The entire series is falling into the Star Wars trap where it's always the same people and everything gets over explained.

People say the same thing about the The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay PC between Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick

I liked Twohy for Pitch Black and Below http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276816/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_10

And now going on imdb I notice there is a third Riddick movie from four years ago. So that's how I'll spend my Sunday.

Chronicles of Riddick was just dumb, although I liked the 3-pack of DVDs where you got Pitch Black Chronicles and Dark Fury for like $20 at Best Buy which was as good as The Animatrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjZ4_OXGvg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun Riddick fact is that Vin Diesel got the rights to the setting by agreeing to do the cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chronicles is the best one. Mix of Star Wars space battles and weird undead goth fights. Judi Dench also admitted she had no idea what the hell was going on in the movie and didn't understand what her lines meant.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Chronicles is the best one. Mix of Star Wars space battles and weird undead goth fights. Judi Dench also admitted she had no idea what the hell was going on in the movie and didn't understand what her lines meant.

Chronicles really is amazing fun dumb poo poo. And having Judi Dench in it didn't hurt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQu47QYH1oo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently Judi Dench and Vin Diesel played D&D together while filming.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This one is only irrational because the movie barely makes sense to begin with: in the time travel movie Project Almanac the protagonists refuse to use time travel to fix up the fact that they somehow screwed up using time travel to win the lottery, when one scene earlier they repeated a day several times so one character could pass an exam.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My Irrational hatred of the Riddick movies is that Vin Diesel took a character from Pitch Black, (a fully realized character with a proper story arc, and actual emotions and motivations and stuff), and turned it into the biggest Mary-Sue of all time. Riddick is the last of his kind, a superduper awesome fighter guy who was also in the baddest prison but beat it coz he is that badass, and takes no poo poo from anyone, but is really a goodie but can kill anyone he likes whenever he likes in badass ways and says cool quips etc.

He did the same to his character in teh Fast and the Furious movies, but I don't mind it so much because I like watching the vroom vroom cars go fast and watching poo poo explode.

Also, in the latest one I saw The Rock flexes his muscles so hard he breaks out of a cast, only to go and shoot a gatling gun at a helicopter. And that is fun to watch

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

My Irrational hatred of the Riddick movies is that Vin Diesel took a character from Pitch Black, (a fully realized character with a proper story arc, and actual emotions and motivations and stuff), and turned it into the biggest Mary-Sue of all time. Riddick is the last of his kind, a superduper awesome fighter guy who was also in the baddest prison but beat it coz he is that badass, and takes no poo poo from anyone, but is really a goodie but can kill anyone he likes whenever he likes in badass ways and says cool quips etc.

He did the same to his character in teh Fast and the Furious movies, but I don't mind it so much because I like watching the vroom vroom cars go fast and watching poo poo explode.

Also, in the latest one I saw The Rock flexes his muscles so hard he breaks out of a cast, only to go and shoot a gatling gun at a helicopter. And that is fun to watch

Basically Twohy's best work was Pitch Black and Below.

If you liked Pitch Black you may find Below to be entertaining. Just saiyan

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BrigadierSensible posted:

:same: Pitch black isn't a perfect movie by any means but Riddick's really good in that movie,vin diesels looking young and weird, the way he's shot isn't anything special but that just makes him look all the weirder cause he stands out against everyone else.
Then the second movie comes along and as a character he goes from being a human who's dangerous but still can be killed to being batman and running down CGI corridors avoiding videogame spaceships from crashing into him (and coming out completely unscathed).

The fact that the focus in pitch black wasn't all on Riddick made it waaaay better, it wasn't all about growly mc.badass cause everyone had their part to play.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The best medical scene in Scrubs is when an older doctor pressures the main character into killing a patient with an outdated procedure.

The beauty of Scrubs is that it takes completely true to life problems like this and manages to make them both funny and touching. Meanwhile shows like Grey's Anatomy put bombs inside patients and somehow manage to make it tedious and wooden.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Alien Isolation at least makes this coincidence a plot point. The android wanted the daughter to have closure on her mother's death, so engineered things to put her on Ripley's trail.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jabby posted:

The beauty of Scrubs is that it takes completely true to life problems like this and manages to make them both funny and touching. Meanwhile shows like Grey's Anatomy put bombs inside patients and somehow manage to make it tedious and wooden.

I'm partial to the plane crash

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

They had a patient with a plane crash inside of them?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

jabby posted:

The thing was that the procedure involved sticking an aspirator into the patients carotid and :stare:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The thing was that the procedure involved sticking an aspirator into the patients carotid and :stare:

*slips into Doctor Nerd mode*

Actually JD was trying to put a line into the patient's jugular vein. He wanted to use the modern 'Seldinger' technique of passing the line over a guide wire to gain access to the vein, but Dr Townshend made him use the very old-fashioned 'cut down' method where the vein is visually exposed using a scalpel incision. During the procedure JD accidentally nicked the carotid artery with his scalpel, a well recognised complication that usually requires a vascular surgeon to fix. Cue The Todd:

The Todd posted:

The vascular surgeon on call said to say you could pick up your patient this evening. He also said to say he could give you a loaner patient if you needed someone to butcher until then.... But I didn't really get it.

Like most things in Scrubs the procedure, the techniques, the complication and the consequences were all completely accurate. As is the problem of older Doctors failing to stay up to date with the latest evidence and their underlings feeling scared to contradict them. Such a great show.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

jabby posted:

*slips into Doctor Nerd mode*

Actually JD was trying to put a line into the patient's jugular vein. He wanted to use the modern 'Seldinger' technique of passing the line over a guide wire to gain access to the vein, but Dr Townshend made him use the very old-fashioned 'cut down' method where the vein is visually exposed using a scalpel incision. During the procedure JD accidentally nicked the carotid artery with his scalpel, a well recognised complication that usually requires a vascular surgeon to fix. Cue The Todd:

Like most things in Scrubs the procedure, the techniques, the complication and the consequences were all completely accurate. As is the problem of older Doctors failing to stay up to date with the latest evidence and their underlings feeling scared to contradict them. Such a great show.

So you're saying JD got a bit....jabby?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Kelso's talk with Townshend when he finds out why JD made that mistake in the first place and realises just how many people his incompetence is putting at risk, with Townshend making excuses about "You know guys like us... we're set in our ways..." and Kelso shutting him down with his rant about why he spends every other saturday in a cramped ballroom being lectured at by someone who is barely out of med school. "I go there because I have to keep up. Nowadays when your out of med school for 3 years everything you've learned is obsolete!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All I remember about scrubs is the mean doctor apparently had dementia/mental illness and the old doctor had a bodybuilders legs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

There was a plane crash which killed off a bunch of Doctors and took one's leg

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oh my bad, that botched procedure really got to me and guess the memory picked up a nightmare scenario I dreamt up after the fact. :v:

Bob Kelso isn't the cheif of medicine we want, he's the chief of medicine we need. :hai:

E: and his amazing legs.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jul 30, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

All I remember about scrubs is the mean doctor apparently had dementia/mental illness and the old doctor had a bodybuilders legs

He got those legs from jumping into helicopters in Nam

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RareAcumen posted:

Makes a change from radical owlectomies.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Scrubs was a good show until you started keeping track of the time in an episode and it suddenly became beyond bizarre.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked Greys Anatomy electro-murder basement when they needed to bump off multiple characters but had already used the plane crash.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something about SCrubs that someone in the comments pointed out - early in the series Turk and JD are roomies. When he dates Carla she moves in with them. Then the series suddenly makes out that JD is the person who is stuck in a rut. It's an apartment that JD bought! Carla and Turk should be the ones looking for their own place, but they kick JD out of his own home, literally leaving him homeless for a few episodes. Assholes!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Len posted:

Helicopter accidents are better

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Helicopter accidents are better

It's hard to choose for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZLLJFiys9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=182AepOJjMs

Everyone survived the AH-64 crash, iirc

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

syscall girl posted:

Everyone survived the AH-64 crash, iirc

It spun in, usually that leaves no survivors.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh-kw3DOIgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFcBVAwYXes

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My irritating movie moment, is that I can't talk about Wonder Woman and liking the Wonder Woman without dudes I barely fuckin' like coming out of the wood work to remind me she had a BDSM phase and that makes her not a true feminist icon. Then they get mad when I roll my eyes and do the jerk off motion. It's dumb, no-one cares, the latest wonder woman was a strong woman figure, and it was a good movie. Also, almost no-one has anything really worthwhile to say abvout the bdsm stuff because they don't actually know anything about it, just what they read in a cracked article or wtf ever. Like, if they wanted to talk about the specifics of it, I'd be down. I can post a ton of poo poo about weird rear end comic book people, but if the only thing you have to add is "well the creator was into bdsm that's why she had magic rope huehuehue" than I hate you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

My irritating movie moment, is that I can't talk about Wonder Woman and liking the Wonder Woman without dudes I barely fuckin' like coming out of the wood work to remind me she had a BDSM phase and that makes her not a true feminist icon. Then they get mad when I roll my eyes and do the jerk off motion. It's dumb, no-one cares, the latest wonder woman was a strong woman figure, and it was a good movie. Also, almost no-one has anything really worthwhile to say abvout the bdsm stuff because they don't actually know anything about it, just what they read in a cracked article or wtf ever. Like, if they wanted to talk about the specifics of it, I'd be down. I can post a ton of poo poo about weird rear end comic book people, but if the only thing you have to add is "well the creator was into bdsm that's why she had magic rope huehuehue" than I hate you.

That's why the lie detector is is part of BDSM

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

I guess usually.

http://www.military.com/video/military-aircraft-operations/crash-landings/insane-apache-crash-in-afghanistan/1518984816001

but both pilots survived that one

unless :tinfoil: it was another Kubrick fake-out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

Poor Henry Blake :smith: