Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Back in the Northeast where I grew up, when it was 90-something degrees, I was all: "Ugh it's hot and also I'm miserably drowning in my own sweat."

I've never been more miserable than in Maryland during the summer. Just jump in the coldest your shower can get then jump out and stand in front of the fan. Repeat every 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My 1973 house has central air, but it's not particularly well designed. I'm glad I spent last weekend breaking my rear end installing an additional R-30 insulation on top of the barely functional R-10? that was there. It really improved the air conditioner's ability to cool the upstairs.

But holy poo poo yesterday, that humidity made me feel like I was back on the east coast. A late afternoon thunderstorm even rolled through. No one knew the last time that happened. I know last year we didn't see a drop of rain between April and October.

Different topic - anyone have any suggestions where I can go to get away for a weekend? I'm in Orange County, not looking for anything too close, maybe 4-6 hour drive max. Also not Big Bear, I've been there a million times.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm up in Tahoe today, loving gorgeous right now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm partial to Santa Barbara or Solvang. If you go by the coast on the return trip you can hit up some nice seaside restaurants.

Oceanside isn't too bad either, if you hit up the Pizza Port or another local eatery

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Yeah, it depends on what you're looking to do. There are great breweries in north San Diego County, wineries in Temecula, skiing in Mammoth (which is at the edge of your 6 hour limit), hiking in Lone Pine and Bishop (4 hours), etc

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Different topic - anyone have any suggestions where I can go to get away for a weekend? I'm in Orange County, not looking for anything too close, maybe 4-6 hour drive max. Also not Big Bear, I've been there a million times.

Go to San Diego and check out that aircraft carrier they've got? I was down there for work a year or two ago and really wanted to check it out, but I couldn't get the time off.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Del Mar has their horse racing season start on July 19th. I go a few times every season since they have some concerts after the last races on Friday and Saturdays that cost as low as the general admission ticket of $6. This year they have Ludacris and Steve Aoki as the two biggest names doing concerts.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FogHelmut posted:

But holy poo poo yesterday, that humidity made me feel like I was back on the east coast. A late afternoon thunderstorm even rolled through. No one knew the last time that happened. I know last year we didn't see a drop of rain between April and October.

The NA monsoon. Not really a CA staple but it makes appearances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Monsoon

And if no one remembers it happening then they have real short memories because it happened relatively frequently (which is to say, not often but sometimes) in the summer of 2015 as the El Nino was building up.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

We just went to Big Bear because we can't decide on anything. 82 degrees leaving Big Bear, drove through a downpour on the 38 on the way down - it dropped to 60 degrees. Got to the bottom, 100 degrees in Redlands.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hi guys, I'm going to crosspost this from the GWS thread, And expand upon it. Basically selling all my poo poo in New York saving money for a couple months and going to move to Los Angeles.

cods posted:

Hi guys. I'm finally glad we got a new thread. I hated posting in that one and going a billion Pages deep for the last several years.

I am(okay, was until 3 days ago) ExecChef in NYC. I have been in New York for 5 yearsand I have had a blast, buts it is time to go!

the restaurant I was cheffing at closed the other day(Manhattan rent lol, and so many other things).

We are getting rid of our apartment, and my wife and I are moving in with the former general manager and her bf so we can save on rent for a few months and then we are going to move to California. gently caress these winters(last year's not so bad but it still sucks)

I'm from the south, I moved to vail Colorado when I finished culinary school, and worked in a ski resort/hotel for a couple of years and then I moved to Portland Oregon where I cooked and then became a sous chef at local place over there, and then about 5 years ago I moved to New York and I have been a head chef/exec(depending on where) for the last like 3 years.

A lot of My experience in New York has mostly been working for a small hospitality company that has some very busy and some not so very busy restaurants all over the city and I've basically either ran, worked at, consulted forlike 3/4 of the restaurant in my little company. As I stated earlier one of the places I was currently stationed at closed(it will be retooled/rebranded in like 4 months) but because of all this bullshit that I won't get into that was happening in the company, there really wasn't a spot that I was satisfied having, and my wife and I have been dying to leave anyway so we are seeing this is our golden opportunity to get the gently caress out of here as it's been a glorious and gracious ride so far.

I'm also looking to get out of lovely stand-alone small Hospitality groups as well because they are absolutely awful, and I've been saying it in this thread for years and I've never done it but I'm finally ready to sell out.

I'm looking to apply to hotels over there and I want to be a boring old hotel chef with a nice salary and benes. Working for little guys help me climb the ladder quick and it was good and amazing yet awful experience at the same time but I'm ready for that stability in my life again and I really always enjoyed working in hotels.

The fun part is I'm taking care of selling everything and getting rid of my apartment in like a whirlwind 72-hour crazyshit show, and after we settle into our friend's apartment I'm going to undercover line cook somewhere so I can still save some cash for the next month or two while I get a job lined up and can save some money. Not having to worry about homicidal alcoholic drug fueled manic retards is going to be a nice break for me for a couple of weeks while I arrange everything.

I would love to answer any questions anyone has for me about, well whatever, and I would love to answer. I'm also unemployed for the next couple weeks so I'll have the time. As well as if anyone has any useful information or advice for the Los Angeles dining scene/good info it would be appreciated.

So I right in the middle of taking care of all of the Affairs right now as far as selling everything and getting our apartment sold, then I will start applying to jobs and hopefully we'll secure one. I have a good NYC executive chef experience on my resume and it shouldn't be too hard to get something lined up before I go over there.

My wife what's to start back school we are and she wants to eventually become a nurse. And we are done we know it's not that much cheaper than New York but I pay 2000 a month or a real ghetto rear end one bedroom apartment in a real ghetto as part of Brooklyn but that's just what it is now.

We have been looking online and a lot many apartments that are going to be a lot better for budget and we don't mind driving 40 minutes to work/that whole thing. I was working on the Upper East Side so it would take me like an hour and a half plus some nights(just depends lol) have to get home at night so I'll take 45 minutes in my own car.

I'm just posting the thread to say hello and I was wondering if you had any general advice from someone moving from New York City(I'm not an rear end in a top hat I promise) as well as a good list of neighborhoods that affordable and boring because my wife and I are boring and we don't mine living a little bit farther away to have a nicer apartment. I work a lot and she will be going to school so we don't need to live near a bunch of cool bars and nightlife.

See you guys soon. 😎

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If you can cook italian food, open a restaurant. I'm originally from NJ, and its average at best here yet everyone charges premium prices for corner pizza shop quality food. You'd rake it in doing anything half decent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cods posted:

See you guys soon. 😎

Welcome to California

check out whenever

but you will never leave

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

FogHelmut posted:

If you can cook italian food, open a restaurant. I'm originally from NJ, and its average at best here yet everyone charges premium prices for corner pizza shop quality food. You'd rake it in doing anything half decent.

I can definitely dance with Italian. Thanks, I can definitely use that to my advantage.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Recommending that someone open a new restaurant in the bay area right now seems unusually cruel.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like he's moving to the affordable side of Los Angeles. Hell yes, please open an Italian spot!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Remember that a 45 minute commute in socal is like 15mi no matter what google maps says.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

Recommending that someone open a new restaurant in the bay area right now seems unusually cruel.

Recommending anyone go to the bay area right now seems cruel, but ya restraunt scene here is especially hosed. I kind of feel bad there's a lot of legit new places I've liked but often DOA and stay a ghost town and close up <1 year later. also lost a lot of established restaurants I've liked the past couple years :(

fortunately I think he's moving to LA so good luck, probably better chances there

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Xaris posted:

Recommending anyone go to the bay area right now seems cruel, but ya restraunt scene here is especially hosed. I kind of feel bad there's a lot of legit new places I've liked but often DOA and stay a ghost town and close up <1 year later. also lost a lot of established restaurants I've liked the past couple years :(

fortunately I think he's moving to LA so good luck, probably better chances there

Yeah, that's also why I am going into hotels also, they are a little more stable when the bubble bursts.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Food in NJ is disgusting, though? :confused:

fake edit: Apparently you live in south Orange County, so this all checks out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

Food in NJ is disgusting, though? :confused:

fake edit: Apparently you live in south Orange County, so this all checks out.

South Orange County is a culinary wasteland. Cucina Enoteca can suck my dick. I went to some other goofy place in Dana Point that had great Yelp reviews, yet all of the pasta was overcooked into mush. I haven't had a meatball anywhere that didn't taste like Chef Boyardee.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FogHelmut posted:

South Orange County is a culinary wasteland. Cucina Enoteca can suck my dick. I went to some other goofy place in Dana Point that had great Yelp reviews, yet all of the pasta was overcooked into mush. I haven't had a meatball anywhere that didn't taste like Chef Boyardee.

This strikes me as something that is solved by moving the gently caress out of south orange county. I'd rather live in the IE, at least then you can go to the mountains.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nm posted:

This strikes me as something that is solved by moving the gently caress out of south orange county.
Or, if youre at Dana Point, then just go the extra mile and trek into Oceanside.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Never go south of the 55.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

Never go south of the 55.

I was going to disagree for a second, but then realized the good mexican place in costa mesa (el toro bravo, highly recommended) is on the LA side of the 55.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nm posted:

This strikes me as something that is solved by moving the gently caress out of south orange county. I'd rather live in the IE, at least then you can go to the mountains.

Believe me, we were looking at San Diego when we first moved, but my father in law made us an offer we couldn't refuse to stay close to the family.

So here I am with endless suburbs, and the best American Chinese food is at Panda Express.

Days later edit - I don't know why anyone puts up with Pizza Port's seating and ordering system.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 23, 2017

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Believe me, we were looking at San Diego when we first moved, but my father in law made us an offer we couldn't refuse to stay close to the family.

So here I am with endless suburbs, and the best American Chinese food is at Panda Express.

Days later edit - I don't know why anyone puts up with Pizza Port's seating and ordering system.

What?! Peking Dragon in Dana Point is awesome American Chinese food.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Perhaps but you would presumably have to interact with people from Dana Point eventually.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I like Javier's in Irvine / Newport but that's expensive enough that it's not everyday eats.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

You don't seem to like much about SoCal, have you considered :getout:?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Boot and Rally posted:

You don't seem to like much about SoCal, have you considered :getout:?

If it were up to me, I'd be eating decent pizza at my own table with a waitperson and a bartender who knows what the beer is they serve.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Perhaps but you would presumably have to interact with people from Dana Point eventually.

Nah, all the tables are really far away from each other and the staff is very nice. I'm quite sure none of them actually live in Dana Point.

nm posted:

I was going to disagree for a second, but then realized the good mexican place in costa mesa (el toro bravo, highly recommended) is on the LA side of the 55.

Hell yeah that place is awesome

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I want to just pack up and leave the right coast, what do i need (i have nothing) to live and where should I that has good surfing where i can scrape by washing dishes or something?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Feral Integral posted:

I want to just pack up and leave the right coast, what do i need (i have nothing) to live and where should I that has good surfing where i can scrape by washing dishes or something?
California has a very high (and climbing!) cost of living, and the places where people can afford to live on low-end jobs are all well inland (i.e. a zillion miles away from the beaches and the surfing)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

You can manage it if you're ok with living in a van. My neighborhood has some dudes who've been doing this since the 70s, usually in the same van the whole time.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The smaller the town the more likely it is possible to live the surfer lifestyle, but honestly you won't find much of it available anywhere south of Malibu. Probably even farther north. The San Luis Obispo area might be possible still? I honestly don't know.

Best way to do it is be a code bro, and hang your wetsuit on your Ford Flex to dry in the Initech parking lot, but you need to be good enough to hold a job like that first.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Feral Integral posted:

the good news is, getting a job here washing dishes or working in food service is loving easy as long as you have a pulse. almost every restaurant has help wanted signs. the caveat is there's a lot of job openings b/c people can't easily afford to stay nearby.

san francisco (ocean beach) is probably about the most north you'd want to go for surfing but you better be a loving good surfer as lot of idiots beyond their skill die all the time. something like santa cruz or down south is fine though. sc in particular will be much cheaper living .

you could probably make living work if you lived in a flat with ton of roommates, lived out of a van, etc.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tricky Ed posted:

The San Luis Obispo area might be possible still? I honestly don't know..

The city of SLO is pretty tough to scrape by in, because of a horrendous lack of workforce housing. Going half an hour north, to Atascadero or Paso Robles, might be more possible. Lots of restaurants and wineries up there that could always use clean dishes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ventura county would more viable than LA or San Francisco. But you're still looking at 800 a month for rent at a minimum if you wanted to be within a 15 minute drive to the beach.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

California has a very high (and climbing!) cost of living, and the places where people can afford to live on low-end jobs are all well inland (i.e. a zillion miles away from the beaches and the surfing)

nah, you can live by the beach with a low-end job, but you need a rent controlled unit and/or 15 roommates, and you won't be going out for every meal or anything like that, and you gotta maybe be cool with living in a closet/basement, or closet in a basement, with rats and sewage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

CPColin posted:

The city of SLO is pretty tough to scrape by in, because of a horrendous lack of workforce housing. Going half an hour north, to Atascadero or Paso Robles, might be more possible. Lots of restaurants and wineries up there that could always use clean dishes.

Yeah but then you have to live in Paso or Templeton. How are things down in AG these days? I know there's been some major improvements/expansion since I was last down that way.

• Locked thread