Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

(source)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Mineta is great because he's so awful.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Mineta is responsible for the best panels in the manga though

His existence will always be justified

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The look of love.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think Toga is a good person and should be recruited to the good guys without any attempt at rehabilitation or punishment for her crimes, imo.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Mineta melts, cacklingly reveals that she ate and replaced him. "OK," says class.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pictured: Me bouncing off your bad opinions

hes a creepy sexual pervert loser. he doesn't deserve to share a title (hero) with my favorite man, All Might, the symbol of peace.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

All Might: even in my darkest moments, with my power fading, i must continue to give everything i have in order to inspire others and keep them happy, as a good man. this is what it means to truly be a hero.

Ball Head: i want to look at 14 year olds in the bathroom LOL!!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mineta would be a good character if all his scenes that relate to how he's a creepy sexual pervert weren't there. Too many of those types of scenes in an anime keep me from talking about it to other people

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 30, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

All Might: even in my darkest moments, with my power fading, i must continue to give everything i have in order to inspire others and keep them happy, as a good man. this is what it means to truly be a hero.

15 and 16 year olds. Which is one of.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

tbp posted:

That's just his hero way and heck it's to be respected.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Maybe, and this might sound a bit wild but, maybe being a sexual predator is actually, idk, antithetical to being a Hero and not just a wacky character trait? And maybe the mangas refusal to ever acknowledge that in any way is a consistent problem that makes it harder to read for some people, even if they like the rest of it? just a crazy thought

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Divine Orator posted:

Maybe, and this might sound a bit wild but, maybe being a sexual predator is actually, idk, antithetical to being a Hero and not just a wacky character trait? And maybe the mangas refusal to ever acknowledge that in any way is a consistent problem that makes it harder to read for some people, even if they like the rest of it? just a crazy thought

This is far from an issue that plagues only this series.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

15 and 16 year olds. Which is one of.

when i was 15 and 16 i did not attempt to climb over the wall to see naked babes, and instead asked them on dates and the like, and acted with honor.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The quest for the perfect manga continues...

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TriffTshngo posted:

"It happens in other things too" does not make it a good thing. Don't you worry, I don't like characters like Mineta in other manga too!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

That actually is a crazy thought because he's kind of annoying at worst and not a sexual predator.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah sexual pervert is a cheap character stereotype you can just plug in with no effort.

It's big in manga for some reason

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't like Mineta, but not because he's a perv, but because that's entirely all he is.

Even noted Worst Dad Ever Endeavor is shown to have some additional dimensions to his motivations, even if it'll never redeem him.

Mineta is pretty much the only character in the series that always does exactly what you expect him to.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe y'all missed the big Mineta moments.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shere posted:

I don't like Mineta, but not because he's a perv, but because that's entirely all he is.

Even noted Worst Dad Ever Endeavor is shown to have some additional dimensions to his motivations, even if it'll never redeem him.

Mineta is pretty much the only character in the series that always does exactly what you expect him to.

I must have hit my head because I feel like he had a whole fight where he showed his motivation and growth as a character. "I wanted to be a hero so I could become cool, but Midoriya showed me that it's cool people that become heroes". Then he announced he was going to become a cool guy and demonstrated it by luring a top hero into a trap.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gnome7 posted:

"It happens in other things too" does not make it a good thing. Don't you worry, I don't like characters like Mineta in other manga too!

seven

deadly

sins

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

He's still a dumb character that I hate

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

his design blows too

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Wanting to be a hero for purely selfish reasons (e.g. to be popular, to get girls/boys) is completely realistic and it's a concept worth exploring.

Not to say Mineta should be forgiven for his repeated harassment, but I do think his character has potential if Horikoshi doesn't take him too far.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

gnome7 posted:

Wasn't saying it was a good thing. You don't usually use the word "plagues" when talking about a good thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mineta is kind of deliberately written as a failure in lots of other ways tho, like his first scene is him just going JESUS CHRIST I DIDNT SIGN UP FOR THIS OH GOD OH GOD, I don't really think that him being a wiener and also the token pervert are really a coincidence.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Mineta is consistently portrayed as a creep, and the rest of the class seems to either dislike him or tolerate him at best. All of his victories stem from him putting aside his perverted and disgusting side aside and focusing on the situation at hand and acting with forethought and confidence. In addition, all of his growth is caused not by sexy ladies or his fixation on them, but by the presence of a positive male role model in Midoriya. Minetas perversion is not something portrayed positively by the manga and is instead a pitiable character flaw that he needs to work past in order to truly succeed.

That's my minetaponion.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

tbp posted:

his design blows too

Why does he wear a diaper?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mineta is just fine because Mt. Lady played him and the expectation is that he is going to continue to occasionally get poo poo on by life for not being the most noble person. There is a cosmic balance at play; Mineta will never be All-Might, but if he learns and grows he can eventually look cool once or twice.

Some of y'all just need to chill and remember puberty happens. Criticize the author, sure, but leave my young friend Mineta his springtime of youth.:colbert:

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

But why the diaper?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think the less we know about the diaper, the better we'll all be for it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a bowl. His costume is modeled after a bowl of grapes.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I don't like that his grapes are sticky and that his head bleeds if he picks it too much. It makes it sound like scabs. Like his quirk is nasty.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
mineta is a good boy, he can't help the way god made him

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
The real problem with Mineta isn't that he is a "pervert", on the contrary he is one of the "straightest" males in the story, but rather that his very reasonable desire to connect with the opposite gender even on a sexual level gets neglected by others, whether they are other characters in the manga or its readers, and he's basically left on his own to figure out these pulsions and desires without any kind of guidance. And when Mineta inevitably does something that can't be ignored by others anymore, instead of being understood and educated in managing his sexuality, he's scolded by his peers and superiors, while readers take their turns blaming him of the sin of being interested in the opposite gender. Then, when both the readers and the characters are done blowing off steam, they continue pretending that Mineta doesn't exist until he does something that can't be ignored again and the cycle continues.

In a just world, Mineta's friend and teachers would recognize his feelings as valid and natural, and they would help him find a way to express them without hurting or molesting others. Unfortunately, this world is anything but just, so people's reactions to Mineta shift between "boys will be boys" and "how dare you molest this defenseless girl" and a war rages between these two sides. Most goons end up choosing the latter because they feel ashamed of their sexuality and don't want to be ostracized by their liberal peers, so they think that the "respect women" side is the "correct" one. What they don't realize is that both points of view are just two sides of the same coin, a coin called "rape culture".

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 30, 2017

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

He and Tsuyu were the only classmates besides his close friends who run to see Deku in the nurse room after his match with Todoroki, he's a good and upstanding guy :colbert:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He could be good if he actually gets an arc, but until then he's like a little bowl of fairy tail inserted into a much better manga.

You have to have flawed characters for them to grow and improve, and MHA is filled with flawed characters, it just doesn't feel like - as with, I don't know, most of the cast - there's much intention to reform and deal with him.

I don't think you have to like all of the cast right from the beginning.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mineta is a creeper who's constantly getting owned for it but he also has the potential to be a better person than even he realizes and we see glimpses of that every so often.

Though getting him to work out his attraction to the girls around him in a healthy way without harassing them until horikoshi decides he'd rather develop Mineta as a more-fleshed out character and not just a Comedy Lecher anime stock character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also he's funny and seeing him get owned both by other characters and by readers is also funny.

But when people complain about Mineta they're actually complaining about the editorial culture that considers his stock comedy archetype as something that's okay to include. And that's perfectly valid.

I say this as a creepy sex pervert who relates to Horikoshi when he says Mineta is the character most like him.