Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Groovelord Neato posted:

melisandre obviously thinks there should be an afterlife hence my question about worshiping the god after you find out there's nothing at the end.

Then a better question for that is: Why does entire Brotherhood Without Banners worship R'hllor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lycus posted:

Then a better question for that is: Why does entire Brotherhood Without Banners worship R'hllor?

Because one of his priests repeatedly brought a loving dead guy back to life before their eyes

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

skasion posted:

Because one of his priests repeatedly brought a loving dead guy back to life before their eyes

I know. I'm going by the logic in thinking that "no afterlife" should equal "no faith".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lycus posted:

I know. I'm going by the logic in thinking that "no afterlife" should equal "no faith".

Why would you not have faith in a guy who can magically resurrect the dead?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

skasion posted:

Why would you not have faith in a guy who can magically resurrect the dead?
A good question for someone making the argument that "no afterlife" should equal "no faith".

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I mean it's not really that weird. Like someone else said, Judaism is a real-world religion that's theistic but doesn't necessarily believe in an afterlife.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
In Judaism they have a concept of an afterlife, but its very different and not permanent. It's like a washing machine for your soul.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

The only instance from the books of the Seven maybe being real was that one priest-monk on the Quiet Isle that maybe perhaps might have magical healing abilities.

IIRC Davos believes that he saw the Mother save him after Blackwater, though that could of course have been a hallucination.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am in the minority who liked Bernie Sparrow.

My favorite was when he managed to outfox Olenna Tyrell.
"Release my daughter or we will stop shipping grain to King's Landing and we'll make the smallfolk know it's because if you."
"Oh? And tell me do you till the soil? Do you harvest the wheat? By your own hand?"

A good way of showing his take on Varys' koan about where power actually lies without being completely on the nose.

I liked the Sparrow for all of the 10 seconds of the trailer/preview in which he said those lines and it looked like they would follow the book approach of "the smallfolk getting fed of the nobility's bullshit and rising up on arms"

But then they decided to take the evil zealot bishop approach and go on the gay crusades cause everyone in 201X knows that church is bad and nothing good ever comes of it cause religion is evil and church is bad.

And then of course it all amounted to nothing when the Sparrow, his whole zealot and plotline get Dorned away with no lasting consequences to their passage through the show.

But at least they gave us a dope ost in Light of the Seven

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 30, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, the bleh part of the whole sparrow thing is that the entire plotline basically only results in a) the entire supporting cast of KL & southern westeros exiting the show and b) cersei even angrier

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Demiurge4 posted:

We also had that scene of old hag Mellisandra questioning her faith.

This might seem odd or sappy but that scene was one of the saddest in the show, for me at least. It was so forlorn and despairing seeing her old (real) haggard self crawl slowly into bed and pull the covers up, like someone just giving up and willing themselves to die. Might just be me though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

lezard_valeth posted:

I liked the Sparrow for all of the 10 seconds of the trailer/preview in which he said those lines and it looked like they would follow the book approach of "the smallfolk getting fed of the nobility's bullshit and rising up on arms"

But then they decided to take the evil zealot bishop approach and go on the gay crusades cause everyone in 201X knows that church is bad and nothing good ever comes of it cause religion is evil and church is bad.

And then of course it all amounted to nothing when the Sparrow, his whole zealot and plotline get Dorned away with no lasting consequences to their passage through the show.

But at least they gave us a dope ost in Light of the Seven

I think that's how GRRM intended it though, GRRM even said in an interview that the church of the Seven is the same kind of mixed bag as the Catholicism it's based on because they're repressive but do want to help the poor folk at the same time.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I would worship any god that could turn me into Carice van Houten

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think that's how GRRM intended it though, GRRM even said in an interview that the church of the Seven is the same kind of mixed bag as the Catholicism it's based on because they're repressive but do want to help the poor folk at the same time.

There's no real strong moralistic angle to the sparrows in the books. They're just pissed off the nobility have hosed up Westeros.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zippy the Bummer posted:

This might seem odd or sappy but that scene was one of the saddest in the show, for me at least. It was so forlorn and despairing seeing her old (real) haggard self crawl slowly into bed and pull the covers up, like someone just giving up and willing themselves to die. Might just be me though.

Agreed. Mel's chapter is one of my faves and this scene touched on a lot of what we learn in there w/ such a simple scene.

It was a really nice surprise.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

:same:

Seriously, where do I sign up?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

that's what so bothersome about the show. nothing really has consequences (unless you're a "good", relatively speaking, guy).

at least in the books the boltons had northern houses conspiring against it, in the show it's one women saying "the north remembers" and she gets flayed right after.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

InFlames235 posted:

Hold on for 2 hour episodes next season.

Ok in the business side of things what's the difference between a six 2-hour episode season and a 12 1-hour episode season? It seems really silly to me.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

How is Jon going to react to Melisandre being with Dany & co.? I forget, but did he just send her out of the north or demand to never see her again or what?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok in the business side of things what's the difference between a six 2-hour episode season and a 12 1-hour episode season? It seems really silly to me.

Actors are paid per-episode, so it's basically a way of getting more labor out of them for free. Not that I'm crying over the financial situations of any of these people.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Producers discovered this one wierd trick.to halve salaries. Actors hate it!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Actors are paid per-episode, so it's basically a way of getting more labor out of them for free. Not that I'm crying over the financial situations of any of these people.

I have to imagine all the main actors have some pretty decent leverage over their salaries. Kind of late in the game to recast Jon Snow.

That said, that'd be loving hilarious.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

None of the cast are very big names and they'd be burning one hell of a bridge by playing hardball with HBO, I think.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't think they're going to be a flat 2 hours. It's just a 2 hour slot so the episode can run an hour and a half or an hour and 40 minutes or whatever. Whatever they feel is necessary.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vegetable posted:

None of the cast are very big names and they'd be burning one hell of a bridge by playing hardball with HBO, I think.

"Listen!" Said the vaguely ethnic looking woman, "do you know who the gently caress i am in this industry?! Im the the tit double for the frizzy haired bitch and you will not pull this poo poo with me!"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

"Listen!" Said the vaguely ethnic looking woman, "do you know who the gently caress i am in this industry?! Im the the tit double for the frizzy haired bitch and you will not pull this poo poo with me!"

Isnt this basically why Roz was impaled by a bunch of arrows?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

drunken officeparty posted:

Count me in.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TheRat posted:

Isnt this basically why Roz was impaled by a bunch of arrows?

Dunno. Would be funny if it was

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They probably never planned on keeping Ros around. There have been a couple subsequent interviews in recent years that make me think it was Emilia Clarke that wanted her nude scenes cut down.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC it was Ros' actress that stipulated by contract to do less/no nudity and then they killed her off immediately lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

They probably never planned on keeping Ros around. There have been a couple subsequent interviews in recent years that make me think it was Emilia Clarke that wanted her nude scenes cut down.

The rumours at the time was that Emilia Clarke refused to do more nude scenes, but then a buttload of new nude scenes came along and if I remember correctly she even did nude scenes in life theatre performances?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheRat posted:

The rumours at the time was that Emilia Clarke refused to do more nude scenes, but then a buttload of new nude scenes came along and if I remember correctly she even did nude scenes in life theatre performances?

Yes and she was none too happy about GoT nerds rushing to the stage to take pictures of her nude.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

etalian posted:

Yes and she was none too happy about GoT nerds rushing to the stage to take pictures of her nude.

Besides that being pretty gauche at live theater it's not like her refusing to do future GoT nude scenes made the old ones scarcer? :shrug

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How many times was ros even nude? The winterfell scene with theon and the play with her rear end scene are all i remember.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

How many times was ros even nude? The winterfell scene with theon and the play with her rear end scene are all i remember.

Wasn't she naked in the scene with Joffrey right before her death? And also when Varys approaches her in the brothel.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The idea that someone cast as a whore in a show would object to nude scenes is kind of a reach.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

All rumours are probably horseshit, and nerds just like to gossip about the people in their nerdshow.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vegetable posted:

None of the actors have face to face talks with EP's about how much they get paid.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Re-watching ep 2 and the early scenes have weird directing & acting, first obviously Dany is a little out of character with her aggressiveness across the board and specifically with Tyrion.

But the Arya/Hotpie scene is really jarring at the start with the weird 'mechanical' eating and mouth-wiping.

I'm blaming the directing mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's to show her eating like the Hound now.

• Locked thread