Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
All Warriors of the Deep needs to be a good story is a few more passes on the script and an electrical failure in the lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

At least we have several seasons worth of Audio and Comics for Colin that redeem his Doctor

Yeah, if Big Finish has accomplished nothing else (and it has accomplished so much else), it's shown us what the 6th Doctor era could and should have been.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

If you haven't seen McCoy's stuff do that, it's good.

Oh yes, I've seen all the rest of Doctor Who in colour and most of the available black and white stuff. Just never managed to make it through Colin. But yes The Curse of Fenric is the best Doctor Who story ever made.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Curse of Fenric is great, and has so many little stories running in it alongside the main one. Might have to watch it again soon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like how frankly it confronts Ace's adolescence and how weird and confusing sexuality can be when it gets going. Back in the day you didn't see a lot of that directed at girls.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Man, why am I watching Warriors of the Deep instead of rewatching The Curse of Fenric for the hundredth time

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Warriors of the Deep is an interesting one, because every single bit of the world building is marvellous and every single bit of the actual story relies on everyone, the Doctor included, acting like a complete moron to get the next plot point.

"Doctor, we're cut off from the TARDIS and the guards think we're saboteurs!"
"In which case let's ACTUALLY sabotage the base, that'll confuse em"

I'm at the end of the first episode and yep, there's the Doctor trying to prove he isn't a hostile intruder by threatening the base with a nuclear explosion.

EDIT: *The Doctor drops three feet into a shallow pool of water*
Tegan: Oh we should probably help hi-
Turlough: NO HE'S DROWNED THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO WE'RE ON OUR OWN NOW HE'S DEAD MEAT TEGAN

EDIT2: The Silurians seem to have a computer interface that consists entirely of just two buttons, and you always have to first press the button on the left and then very carefully push the button on the right, and this sequence may accomplish anything from opening a door to reviving a squad of comatose Sea Devils

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 30, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jerusalem posted:

RTD (chain smoking): Oh God what was the name of Martha's fiance.... Todd? Was it Todd? I think it might have been Todd? I guess I should look it up... oh God is that the time? This loving deadline! gently caress it.... she marries.... Mickey why not? Yeah that'll do.

Moffat was sitting across the room from him chuckling because he's already written all of season 5, and thus felt safe to kind of kick back and not worry about season 6 for awhil-oh God he forgot to write season 6! :gonk:

It's because they're Smith & Jones. Whether that's a good reason is up for debate

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Forktoss posted:

The Silurians seem to have a computer interface that consists entirely of just two buttons, and you always have to first press the button on the left and then very carefully push the button on the right, and this sequence may accomplish anything from opening a door to reviving a squad of comatose Sea Devils
Ah, the Megas XLR approach to buttons and what they can or cannot do

Classic, even though there's how many years between that episode and that series?

The more things change, the more they stay the same

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Vinylshadow posted:

At least we have several seasons worth of Audio and Comics for Colin that redeem his Doctor

I've heard Colin Baker audios (my favourite is the 6/Jago&Litefoot crossovers), but didn't know about his comics. What are the recommended ones?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

toanoradian posted:

I've heard Colin Baker audios (my favourite is the 6/Jago&Litefoot crossovers), but didn't know about his comics. What are the recommended ones?

Steve Parkhouse's DWM run is the most classic one, the Voyager stories being often singled out as a high point. Grant Morrison wrote a few Sixth Doctor stories as well - the most famous one of those is probably The World Shapers, which has Six teaming up with Jamie against the Voord and the Cybermen (it was referenced in the Series 10 finale, too).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Forktoss posted:

Steve Parkhouse's DWM run is the most classic one, the Voyager stories being often singled out as a high point. Grant Morrison wrote a few Sixth Doctor stories as well - the most famous one of those is probably The World Shapers, which has Six teaming up with Jamie against the Voord and the Cybermen (it was referenced in the Series 10 finale, too).

The one I want to read the most is the graphic novel "The Age of Chaos", with Sixie & Frobisher, written by Colin himself! But with all the reprints over the years, from DWM to IDW ti Titan, no one's ever reprinted that.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Davros1 posted:

The one I want to read the most is the graphic novel "The Age of Chaos", with Sixie & Frobisher, written by Colin himself! But with all the reprints over the years, from DWM to IDW ti Titan, no one's ever reprinted that.

Huh, with The Wings of a Butterfly and this, that would make Colin the only Doctor actor who wrote for published audio and comic Doctor Who. That's cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

The World Shapers, which has Six teaming up with Jamie against the Voord and the Cybermen (it was referenced in the Series 10 finale, too).

It was?!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

toanoradian posted:

Huh, with The Wings of a Butterfly and this, that would make Colin the only Doctor actor who wrote for published audio and comic Doctor Who. That's cool.

I have secret hopes that Capaldi will change that sometime soon. Though I admit I haven't seen anything he's written.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Yep! Capaldi mentions Marinus as one of the planets where Cybermen have evolved. Although they did kind of mess up the reference because he also mentions Planet 14 from The Invasion as a separate place of origin for the Cybermen, while The World Shapers goes out of its way to explain that Planet 14 is just another name for Marinus.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The Moff posted:

What would Doctor Who continuity be without a blatant and unresolvable contradiction?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Forktoss posted:

Alright! Time to up my love for the best-dressed Doctor. I'm gonna go scour Russian social media.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

To get inside the head of the Doctor, Matt Smith wrote a story in which the Doctor took Einstein to Ancient Egypt.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Davros1 posted:

To get inside the head of the Doctor, Matt Smith wrote a story in which the Doctor took Einstein to Ancient Egypt.

I can't tell if you're joking, and I'm not sure whether or not I want you to be.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I can't tell if you're joking, and I'm not sure whether or not I want you to be.

BBC News posted:

He describes how he prepared for the role in the first half of 2009, before filming began.
"I wrote loads of stories about the Doctor and Einstein in Egypt - that's how the pyramids were created," Smith explains excitedly.
"I had six months, and it was the only way that I could get in contact with the Doctor. I always picture Einstein like this..."
Smith sticks out his tongue in a recreation of the famous photograph of Einstein from the early 1950s.
And then - tongue retracted - he talks about how he wants his costume to evolve over the next two years.
"I want a coat - practically - because I get cold. And I'd quite like a hat..."
From a nearby mannequin, he grabs the policewoman's hat worn by his companion, Amy Pond, and puts it on his head.
"But maybe not in every episode."

:allears: I miss Matt Smith

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
matt smith and david tennant are fine actors but their doctors are too perfect and it's kind of annoying. matt smith in particular got saddled with a lot of ridiculous over the top things which he always handled perfectly and understood instantly because he was the Best Person In The Universe. Personally, I enjoy the older stuff where the doctor is really smart of course but still somewhat fallible and flawed.

That's not at all the actors' fault, of course, and they did a good job with the material they were given. Really, I don't think any of the Doctor actors over the years have been bad; it's always just dependent on what scripts they're given.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'd argue that the Tenth Doctor was full of flaws, which made him an arguably more compelling character than he's given credit for, but the jury is out on whether the writers recognized those as flaws, and the narrative is pretty wishy-washy about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"I don't want to go" is the perfect summation of a major character flaw that sadly only got explored a couple times

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I feel like the ways the Tenth Doctor has been referenced in the Moffat era have addressed his character flaws a bit, and he's come off much more sympathetic to me as a result. He's obviously more self-centered than pretty much any other Doctor, but when he was incumbent it felt like we were not supposed to notice that most of the time and it felt like an elephant in the room the show didn't adequately discuss. Now that he's an elder statesman instead, we've had things like him doing the Oncoming Storm monologue to a rabbit in Day of the Doctor and Eleven admitting he used to have "a bit of an ego problem" in Time of the Doctor. Since Tennant left they have been able to have a bit of fun at his Doctor's expense (which Tennant was never against anyway, I don't think), and that's making his character a lot more likable in retrospect, as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I guess you could say the 10th Doctor was kinda getting his groove back after being War who he wanted to forget, and 9, who was still saddled with guilt over what he (thought he) did as War. So he overcompensated a bit.

One concern I do have with Jodie is that I wonder what her relationship is with the show as a fan. I haven't heard her speak much about it, but I'm pretty sure she's not a superwhonerd like Tennant or Capaldi, nor can I see her writing fanfiction and geeking out over Troughton eps like Smith did to get into the role. Of course Eccleston wasn't a huge fan either as far as I know, and he did a great job performing. Though he was quick to leave and not want to come back, which I can never see happening with 10, 11, or 12.

I guess it was bound to happen sometime--you aren't always going to get massive fans cast in the role. At least the showrunner is though. When we get some kind of nu-Who done by both an actor and a showrunner who aren't huge fans (or the same stable of writers who have been involved in spin off media for the past 20 years) things could take a massive nosedive. Or not, but looking at the shitshow that is modern Star Trek I don't want to see my other favorite franchise go that way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'd argue that the Tenth Doctor was full of flaws, which made him an arguably more compelling character than he's given credit for, but the jury is out on whether the writers recognized those as flaws, and the narrative is pretty wishy-washy about it.

he's maybe supposed to be arrogant and overconfident, possibly, but that all falls apart because he's literally always right. and sometimes he arbitrarily decides he doesn't like people... but then they always turn out to be bad people or evil somehow afterwards so he's always ultimately vindicated

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

One concern I do have with Jodie is that I wonder what her relationship is with the show as a fan. I haven't heard her speak much about it, but I'm pretty sure she's not a superwhonerd like Tennant or Capaldi, nor can I see her writing fanfiction and geeking out over Troughton eps like Smith did to get into the role. Of course Eccleston wasn't a huge fan either as far as I know, and he did a great job performing. Though he was quick to leave and not want to come back, which I can never see happening with 10, 11, or 12.

Sure, William Hartnell wasn't a big fan of the show when he started but he turned out okay.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Who can forget that classic episode of Doctor Who where he arbitrarily decided he didn't like someone but they turned out to be a bad person or evil somehow so he was ultimately vindicated.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Who can forget that classic episode of Doctor Who where he arbitrarily decided he didn't like someone but they turned out to be a bad person or evil somehow so he was ultimately vindicated.

is that the one where he uses a time device to fix the thing?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Unfixed Thing is a really good first episode but The Device of Time is a pretty underwhelming conclusion to that two-parter

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I was always a fan of The Adjective Of The Antagonist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Forktoss posted:

The Unfixed Thing is a really good first episode but The Device of Time is a pretty underwhelming conclusion to that two-parter

it was good the first time but the writers keep bringing the unfixed thing back and it kind of ruins it

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is 10 really more self centered and arrogant than 6

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Well early six was prepared to consign Peri to spend the rest of her natural life on a lovely comet because he was worried he was wonky post regeneration. He did get a lot more altruistic by Trial though.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

corn in the bible posted:

matt smith and david tennant are fine actors but their doctors are too perfect and it's kind of annoying. matt smith in particular got saddled with a lot of ridiculous over the top things which he always handled perfectly and understood instantly because he was the Best Person In The Universe. Personally, I enjoy the older stuff where the doctor is really smart of course but still somewhat fallible and flawed.

Eleven was a compulsive liar, and that was never presented as a good thing. The entire (admittedly bad) overarching plot of series 6 was dedicated to his flaws, first with him abusing his own legend and having it backfire spectacularly, then with him running away from a problem for 400 odd years before fixing it in like 30 seconds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'Midnight' is all about the Tenth Doctor's personality being a huge problem and almost getting him killed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, William Hartnell wasn't a big fan of the show when he started but he turned out okay.

Those Troughton, Pertwee and Baker fellas were also PRETTY questionable with how they did not know or care about the show but I guess that worked out well enough.

Now that Colin Baker, HUGE fan, wonder how his television run went!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Ten wasted an entire regeneration because he was too full of himself to accept changing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Forktoss posted:

Man, why am I watching Warriors of the Deep instead of rewatching The Curse of Fenric for the hundredth time

Eric Saward has transferred money to your account.

Oh, you should definitely keep exploring the era.

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Ten wasted an entire regeneration because he was too full of himself to accept changing.

Or you might say he regenerated...into himself. :smug:

Which makes you wonder why Capaldi wouldn't just do that if he didn't want to change again. The Doctor has shown greater and greater control over the process and the Master has as well ("If the Doctor can be young and strong..."). Plus I would imagine having a whole new cycle would give you a sort of level up, so even without extra hands or Karn potions in theory he should be able to stay the same. Of course he can't, but in universe you have to wonder why.

• Locked thread