Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

CubeTheory posted:

The best way to get in is to find a friend that plays and play with them. If you can't do that, playing a lot of bot games, watch a couple of tutorials on youtube and you should get the basics down. The best advice I can give is to mute everyone on your team in bot games because they are likely going to be either terrible or toxic, and neither is going to help you learn. The basics of the game are actually pretty simple. Knowing the positions, understanding the importance of CS and objective pressure, understanding that warding is important, these things will get you a long way. After that it's mostly just learning what every champion does, and that takes a while, but you eventually get it. When I first started I would play free champions in bot games to see what they did and it helped a lot. Also, if a champion is dumping on you, look them up after the game and figure out how their skills work. Most champions have clear roads of counterplay and learning how to play against them is very important. Focus on a single position, or two, and find a couple of champions you like in that role. Find Twitch streamers that play that champion and watch a few matches, learn how to build and how to use your skills effectively.

Thank you. Are all positions equally difficult or is there a recommended "starting" position/positions to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

its hard to jungle if your account is level 1, but you could probably still play warwick

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Google Butt posted:

Thank you. Are all positions equally difficult or is there a recommended "starting" position/positions to avoid?

Try everything, I started out playing top lane but eventually settled on jungle and support. Jungle is probably the hardest position to get started with since early game farming can be tricky but that's what the practice tool is for. If you're unsure what position a hero usually goes in either look it up on OP.gg or just try poo poo out and see what works.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pretty sure randuines is a worse thornmail right now, not the other way around, not letting yourself turn into a health battery for lifesteal in what has been a lifesteal meta lately is rather strong.

New thornmail lets ADCs get more HP back than the old one. Cutting lifesteal by 40% hurts the ADC a lot less than the old damage reflection did.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Radical posted:

its hard to jungle if your account is level 1, but you could probably still play warwick

I mean don't do it without smite but also Nunu is hella easy because of his Work

Also if you're watching pro league to learn I recommend watching some of the World's Finals from last year. Riot did an alternate stream for new players that spent more time explaining what was going on in simple terms, as well as how exactly pro league works in terms of structure

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 29, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sometimes they do individual position streams for regular season games as well, so they'll spend the entire game just following the top lane, or jungle etc, usually with a pro on commentary to go more in depth about the mechanics of the position.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Google Butt posted:

ADC is one of the most important positions, and one of the most fragile. I would suggest staying away from it at first. Mid is similar, and the most likely lane to be ganked. Jungle is pretty easy to play, but is very important for the team that you're good at, so I'd wait on that. For now I would queue Top/Support. Support is a very important member of the team, but if you die it doesn't normally screw your team over completely, especially if they trade for you. Top laners tend to be tanky and have more room for error in their play, and top lane tends to be an island that doesn't see too much action besides the 1v1 and the occasional jungler gank. Top lane is a great place to learn about CSing and wave management, as well as map awareness. Hands down I think it's the best lane to learn the game in.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

njsykora posted:

Sometimes they do individual position streams for regular season games as well, so they'll spend the entire game just following the top lane, or jungle etc, usually with a pro on commentary to go more in depth about the mechanics of the position.

I havent seen these this season on the VOD channel but there's a fuckload from last season especially world's

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

holy crap you still gotta get to level 8 to get smite

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah its dumb

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Please for the love of God don't encourage learning support in low level games. Not only are you not going to know anything but it requires teamwork with your adc and there's no way in hell whoever you get paired with is going to know what they're doing either, so it's literally just going to be game time wasted

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Luna Was Here posted:

Please for the love of God don't encourage learning support in low level games. Not only are you not going to know anything but it requires teamwork with your adc and there's no way in hell whoever you get paired with is going to know what they're doing either, so it's literally just going to be game time wasted

Support is also the position you're going to get shoved into against your will the most, and it's the one position that everyone has to know how to play thanks to autofill. Gotta learn it sometime, and I'm suggesting learning it in bot games where the points don't matter.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Support? Too serious, don't try it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I was able to get Garen for free, so I'll be trying that first.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Master the support. Become one with the support.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CubeTheory posted:

ADC is one of the most important positions, and one of the most fragile. I would suggest staying away from it at first. Mid is similar, and the most likely lane to be ganked. Jungle is pretty easy to play, but is very important for the team that you're good at, so I'd wait on that. For now I would queue Top/Support. Support is a very important member of the team, but if you die it doesn't normally screw your team over completely, especially if they trade for you. Top laners tend to be tanky and have more room for error in their play, and top lane tends to be an island that doesn't see too much action besides the 1v1 and the occasional jungler gank. Top lane is a great place to learn about CSing and wave management, as well as map awareness. Hands down I think it's the best lane to learn the game in.

Top is also the drizzling shits to play in bot games because everyone goes and fucks around in the jungle and leaves you going 2v1 and you feed a ton and it sucks and I hate them all

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Google Butt posted:

I was able to get Garen for free, so I'll be trying that first.

Garen rules. Take his Q first and then max out E as fast as possible, tank items to start and then AP damage and then you mash e while charging through creeps waves and watch them all die plus when everyone gets in a big poo poo fight with the bots you can just walk up top/bottom and push straight to the third turret because you've got a ton of defense and kill creeps at will

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Really if this arguing about what position to play shows us anything it's that every position is fuckin awful to play at the start and the winning move is to do whatever you want but also don't play

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Uhhhh don't build AP on Garen, I think you mean black cleaver

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

According to champion.gg I should go black cleaver > dead man's plate > spirit visage

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vermain posted:

Master the support. Become one with the support.

Let me guess

Coin and spamming E in lane?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

Let me guess

Coin and spamming E in lane?

I game with honor and only go Spellthief's. I've considered trying out Coin, but I feel like you give up too much lane pressure as Lux, and Coin is so absolutely loving busted there's no way it's making it more than another patch without being knocked down.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
All spellthief gives you is like 5AP dude

gently caress that item

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

All spellthief gives you is like 5AP dude

gently caress that item

I just hate using an item that I'm almost 100% convinced is going to have the rug pulled out from under it before long because I'm afraid it'll inculcate a bad habit for when the mana regen is no longer nearly as insane.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kingcobweb posted:

Sure that I haven't played spin2win in like six months so I was trying to remember how his poo poo worked

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Google Butt posted:

According to champion.gg I should go black cleaver > dead man's plate > spirit visage

I like Sunfire cloak too

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Was rotating as a supp to mid cause bot was p free farm and the opposing jungler tried to dive on me with their supp and ended up eating poo poo cause he was fighting in an unwarded jungle and then he started bitching in all chat that we were taking the game too seriously.

Later we were pushing a mid tower after wiping most their team, he tried to solo defend for no reason and ate poo poo before the tower went down anyways and again whined about us taking norms too seriously.

What is it that this man wanted exactly.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Still uncarriable and unfun

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Was rotating as a supp to mid cause bot was p free farm and the opposing jungler tried to dive on me with their supp and ended up eating poo poo cause he was fighting in an unwarded jungle and then he started bitching in all chat that we were taking the game too seriously.

Later we were pushing a mid tower after wiping most their team, he tried to solo defend for no reason and ate poo poo before the tower went down anyways and again whined about us taking norms too seriously.

What is it that this man wanted exactly.

sounds like he wanted you to take norms less seriously

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
My favourite is 'lol you need 3 to kill me 1v1 me yuo pussy bithces' like the jungler is supposed to just farm the whole game?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Played some bot games tonight and I'm starting to get a hang of the mechanics. I find it tricky to time Garen's AA to get the last hit though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Google Butt posted:

Played some bot games tonight and I'm starting to get a hang of the mechanics. I find it tricky to time Garen's AA to get the last hit though.

Practice disengaging and reengaging creeps and also using his q to reset the auto attack timer. I honestly recommend doing that in a training game so there's no pressure and you can just focus in on that

I spent a lot of time practicing spin2win before I gave up out of frustration with top in bot games okay

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Practice disengaging and reengaging creeps and also using his q to reset the auto attack timer. I honestly recommend doing that in a training game so there's no pressure and you can just focus in on that

I spent a lot of time practicing spin2win before I gave up out of frustration with top in bot games okay
Dickeye I think I can solo win bot games as any champion in the game from any lane they aren't as hard as you think they are

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RealFoxy posted:

Dickeye I think I can solo win bot games as any champion in the game from any lane they aren't as hard as you think they are

I'm a terrible bad who isn't even thirty yet, I just practiced on garen a lot for a while and I know what advice people gave me that helped a bit (my consistency was still poo poo but I started last hitting more)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

loving impossible.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 30, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Meth, please make a smurf and stomp bronze players before you do dumb things to hurt yourself

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I told you dude

I tell this to everyone

Just play the one champ you know how to play

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

https://youtu.be/jwM8BTAQ3dM

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Teikanmi posted:

I told you dude

I tell this to everyone

Just play the one champ you know how to play

This is pretty much the best advice unless you're super experienced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Rylais has AP and is also occasionally funny on garen, since it turns you into a permaslowing spin machine which is kinda funny.

• Locked thread