Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

54.4 crowns posted:

2. So the first New Gods comic I actually bought was ironically "death of the new gods", were there any story lines that followed up the ending.

Nah. It was published at the same time as Grant Morrison's Final Crisis, which had it's own death of the New Gods storyline which DOTNG contradicted, and one was more important than the other, so DOTNG may as well be out of continuity.

Also, the universe got rebooted anyway. There were New Gods storylines in the New 52 like nothing had happened (check the GL/NG crossover: Godhead, N52 Wonder Woman with Orion as part of her extended family of gods.)

Some neat NG things happening right now. There's a new Mister Miracle series starting in a week or two by a crazy good creative team, a current Mike Allred comic about Bug The Forager meeting a pile of other Kirby creations, and a New Gods one-shot this week as part of this https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/06/dc-adds-mark-buckingham-steve-rude-paul-levitz-and-phil-hexter-to-jack-kirby-oneshots-on-august/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Autism Sneaks posted:

The main continuity is Earth Prime, Earth One is their prestige series where the League, the Titans and the rest are reinterpreted and rooted in the 21st century.

Earth Prime is also sometimes called Earth Zero.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
our earth kinda-sorta exists in the dcu too and affects all the rest. according to the cosmology grant morrison dreamt up, anyway, which tbh i'd probably ignore.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Our/Superboy-Prime/Ultraa's Earth is Earth-33 now :mmmhmm:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrianWilly posted:

JLA has been pretty clumsy and unremarkable and seems determined to throw as many obscure 90s characters on the page as it can to somehow force you to believe they're important and interesting, but even at its worst it still contains rudimentary necessities of a comic book like "plots" and "characterizations" and that kind of silly stuff. Someone reading the series could come away with fairly clear impressions of the ongoings, like, "Okay, Ray's been butting heads with Batman right now over his attitude, while Vixen has been more understanding of Batman even as she keeps him in check, just like he wanted. Meanwhile Atom and Killer Frost are developing a bit of a chaste romance while they work on each other's problems."

Justice League, on the other hand, is virtually devoid of anything that resembles the likes of storylines or personalities for its characters. The most I could tell you about it is that there was some sort of time travel story and Barry and Jessica Cruz are sort of dating, I think?

The Extremists were the focus of the first arc and Glonth only appeared as a corpse. Those are the only two 90s obscure characters or groups. The S.K.U.L.L. group is an obscure 70s superman terrorist group and every other villain that has appeared is either brand new or created in the 2010's

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

54.4 crowns posted:

3. What was the latest GL story with Saintwalker...I really miss my Brodee.

"Hal Jordan & The GLC" vol. 3 is titled "The Quest For Hope" and has plenty of Walker. Whole series has been pretty good, though I've dropped off the most recent arc so ymmv.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Earth Prime is also sometimes called Earth Zero.

And in the past has been New Earth and Earth 1.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

54.4 crowns posted:

Oh, man forgot that SA has more then D&D, been looking for a space like this.

1. So did Hank Henshaw escape from Boodikka brain?(Not that it matters terribly if they nixed that storyline).

After the reboot Henshaw forgot he was evil for a while and had a bio body. Then he remembered when preboot Superman and nu52 Superman's memories merged and he decided he wanted to be a cyborg and evil again.

54.4 crowns posted:

2. So the first New Gods comic I actually bought was ironically "death of the new gods", were there any story lines that followed up the ending.

Death of the New Gods was supposed to tie into Final Crisis but it was based on a really early draft of Final Crisis. Morrison essentially said "yeah, ignore that comic" when Final Crisis started up. If you want more New God things you could grab the classic Kirby comics via the omnibuses that are out, look into 7 Soldiers/Final Crisis, or the newer New Gods stuff Teenage Fansub mentioned.

54.4 crowns posted:

Other then that I picked up an Batman Earth 1 Trade at a kiosk was even translated to Norwegian which meant we had actual swear words(which was sorta weird).

Its probably been answered but which Earth number is that one that matters, I thought it was a great re imagination but Since Cobblepot got wasted its either gonna be a very short revamp or it doesn't matter.

But what is the idea behind Earth1 and Earht0 comics?

Unless a comic specifies otherwise, it takes place on Earth-0 (Earth Prime/New Earth). Earth-1 is kind of like Marvel's old Ultimate universe line with modern retellings of the classic heroes, often in graphic novel format vs issue-by-issue. The quality is kind of up and down but if you want to know which ones are worth reading you can ask here. Here's a kind of recent map of the multiverse from Multiversity: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/08/18/the-map-of-the-multiverse (also Multiversity is good)

54.4 crowns posted:

Also, Geoff Johns owns.

He has some fun stuff.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 30, 2017

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Autism Sneaks posted:

The main continuity is Earth Prime, Earth One is their prestige series where the League, the Titans and the rest are reinterpreted and rooted in the 21st century.

Wait...I thought Earth Prime was this *stomps foot* universe.

quote:

Our/Superboy-Prime/Ultraa's Earth is Earth-33 now

ah

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
JLA is a fine generic title that isn't trying to do too much. I wouldn't say it is great or even good but it fills the niche with some old style story telling.
I really wish JL3K was still being published as at least that was something different.
Justice League United was very meh. I didn't really care for the team nor the story and it seemed at the end that Lemire was trying to write his own special space epic that was more convoluted than anything else.
I liked Parker's ideas for United and it's a shame the book got cancelled before he could fully realise the potential of that idea.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Earth-33 still goes by "Earth Prime" if I remember the Multiversity handbook right. The main DC universe is Earth Zero.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

54.4 crowns posted:

DotNG is kind of like Countdown: Someone was given a very, very vague and half-drafted idea of where Final Crisis would be going and they had to create a bunch of filler stories to get the audience there.

As far as I can remember, In New Gods the Ragnarok style fated end is that Orion will meet Darkseid in glorious battle and they will fall and it will be the end of the 5th Age, and maybe humanity ascends in their place. Since the outline for FC read something like "The New Gods had their reckoning, Orion is dead and Darkseid won!", DotNG made it so thats the ending, more or less.

Then FC says the battle was so immense that it could never be related accurately and false accounts have sprung up to explain the absence of the 5th World.

Following up on DotNG would be weird, what with the Life Equation giving your purple spiky S&M gear and all the players being dead. Maybe it would be super depressed Superman crying about how he misses his Godbuds.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The best thing about all of this w/r/t DONG is:

Morrison pitched Final Crisis spinning out of what he'd done with them in Seven Soldiers while he was on the 52 team in 2006-2007. It was going to more or less be the story that got printed as Final Crisis.

MORRISON: "Back in 2006, I requested a moratorium on the New Gods so that I could build up some foreboding and create anticipation for their return in a new form."

The outline for the series, also submitted in 2006-7 was built around the idea that the heroes find Orion dead after having not heard or seen the New Gods in months/years.

DC's solution to this was to build up a year long storyline where pretty much everyone is immediately aware that SOMEONE IS KILLING THE NEW GODS and the Justice League and Superman and Batman and Oracle and Wonder Woman and everyone are investigating what's happening to their old pals the New Gods who they see all of the time.

Countdown reveals that Darkseid has been killing all of the New Gods and storing their power Highlander-style inside Jimmy Olsen, and at the end of the series Orion appears and rips Darkseid's heart out, killing him.

Meanwhile DONG reveals that... the Source, I guess? is killing all of the New Gods including Orion, and Darkseid just barely survives to run off.

Final Crisis, written before either of them, just ignores both.

People complain about incoherent events/crossovers/cross-title continuity today but 2007-9 DC was truly a golden age of dysfunction.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

People complain about incoherent events/crossovers/cross-title continuity today but 2007-9 DC was truly a golden age of dysfunction.
Wasn't there a bit where if you traced a certain character's movements through Countdown and Amazons Attack, they were in a time loop of leaving to go fight the attack after it was over and getting back before it began or something? I remember someone describing it with the very evocative phrase "the narrative spine of the DCU has scoliosis", but unfortunately Google just wants to show me scoliosis pages when I look for that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Reminder of this choice quote. Countdown is 52 done right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That Jimmy Olsen thing sounds fun

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That Jimmy Olsen thing sounds fun

It's really, really not.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
All the reviews I've seen point out that it should have been, he's getting all these powers and it's kinda a big reference to Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen where he'd get superpowers/transform into a monster all the time, but it was just bad and a waste of a fun concept.

I've been thinking of getting into some of DC's more cosmic stuff, I figure The Great Darkness Saga should be on my list, and I'd like to read the classic Fourth World stuff but that's all in omnibuses so I'm thinking I'll put those off. Some of Grant Morrison's more grandiose stories? Omega Men is definitely on my list too. I'm intrigued by Godhead, but didn't I hear it was pretty bad?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Godhead's fine. For Grant Stuff, you should deffo read Seven Soldiers. It's his very best thing and the start of the train leading to Multiversity.

I dunno when I'd get the time, but I'm morbidly curious enough to try and read Countdown.

e: Haven't watched, but here's a 360 degree video of Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, Amanda Conner, Tony Daniel, Andy Kubert, John Romita talking and sketching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSTEPv6fEKw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 31, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

I've been thinking of getting into some of DC's more cosmic stuff, I figure The Great Darkness Saga should be on my list, and I'd like to read the classic Fourth World stuff but that's all in omnibuses so I'm thinking I'll put those off. Some of Grant Morrison's more grandiose stories? Omega Men is definitely on my list too. I'm intrigued by Godhead, but didn't I hear it was pretty bad?

Most of Grant Morrison's JLA goes in for the cosmic stuff but I'd particularly recommend "Rock of Ages", "Crisis Times Five" and "World War III" for that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so Reginald Hudlin continues to be the loving worst.

https://www.newsarama.com/35770-dwayne-mcduffie-s-widow-sues-milestone-media-over-being-cut-out-of-revival.html

quote:

Milestone Media is being sued by Charlotte McDuffie, the widow of the late co-founder Dwayne McDuffie. According to Los Angeles county court filings obtained by Variety, the widow is suing the company and its officers for "Breach of Fiduciary Duty," "Aiding and Abetting Breach of Fiduciary Duty," "Intentional Interference with Prospective Economic Relations," "Fraudulent Conveyance," "Civil Conspiracy To Commit Fraudulent Conveyance," and "Accounting."

McDuffie passed away as a result of complications from heart surgery in 2011 at the age of 49. In 2015, Hudlin joined Milestone Media to sprearhead a revival of the company - and announced a partnership with DC Entertainment soon after. According to Hudlin, the idea for Milestone's revival came out of a conversation which occurred during McDuffie's wake.

According to McDuffie's suit, the deceased owned a 50% stake in Milestone Media with co-founder Derek Dingle owning the other half. Court documents say that Dingle, Hudlin, and and co-founder Denys Cowan founded a new company - Milestone Media Company LLC - and began using the original Milestone Media's intellectual properties.

"The individual defendants here - Reginald Hudlin, Denys Cowan, and Derek Dingle - have engaged in reprehensible conduct following Dwayne McDuffie's untimely death," reads the lawsuit. "The beneficiaries of McDuffie's estate are his wife, Charlotte, and his 78-year-old mother, Edna. Hudlin, Cowan, and Dingle have literally stolen from McDuffie's widow and elderly mother, while pretending to downplay their theft as just 'two years of legal paperwork.'"

The suit alleges that the McDuffie estate entered a formal tolling agreement with Milestone in April as a means to settle the dispute, but the filing of this lawsuit infers that was unfruitful.

I feel like DC has some cause and responsibility to flex some authority here, and that they act in support of McDuffie's relatives. This is appalling.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If anyone associated with House Party ended up being a bad dude, there's something wrong with the world.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Everything with plastic man in injustice has been goddamn amazing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

frodnonnag posted:

Everything with plastic man in injustice has been goddamn amazing.

Yes. By far my favorite thing in a good comic that should be terrible but instead is awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't read this week's yet, but last week's Injustice with them going to recruit Plastic Man was fantastic. Any page would have been perfect in the Funny Panels thread.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I haven't read this week's yet, but last week's Injustice with them going to recruit Plastic Man was fantastic. Any page would have been perfect in the Funny Panels thread.

I won't spoil the goddamn amazing father-son moment in this week's then.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TFRazorsaw posted:

so Reginald Hudlin continues to be the loving worst.

https://www.newsarama.com/35770-dwayne-mcduffie-s-widow-sues-milestone-media-over-being-cut-out-of-revival.html

I feel like DC has some cause and responsibility to flex some authority here, and that they act in support of McDuffie's relatives. This is appalling.

my guess is that given this business partnership has done nothing in two years DC is going to pull out and completely distance themselves from Milestone

the bad PR from sticking their necks out for this would not be worth whatever they could gain, and like I have no idea what they actually could since nothing has happened

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

my guess is that given this business partnership has done nothing in two years DC is going to pull out and completely distance themselves from Milestone

DC really wants a Static film at some point so they'll probably keep it alive just for that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh, wait

I stand corrected

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Blockhouse posted:

oh, wait

I stand corrected

Yessssssssss

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

oh, wait

I stand corrected

Who is between speedy and blue beetle?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Traci Thirteen

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The character's just called Thirteen and apparently isn't Traci.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Not a fan of the twig limbs and everyone looking starved

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Traci Thirteen

Oh! A good underused character. Same with her dad.

Aphrodite posted:

The character's just called Thirteen and apparently isn't Traci.

Spoke too soon. Stupid WB

Too bad there isn't Cyborg, Raven, Kid Devil, or Offspring.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 2, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure it's absolutely traci? I have no idea where aphrodite got that

e:

quote:

Although few details were offered about the new addition during this afternoon’s Young Justice Q&A at Comic-Con International in San Diego, afterward series co-creator Brandon Vietti confirmed the character’s identity to CBR.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Traci 13 is a supporting character on Superwoman currently, she's the girlfriend of Natasha Irons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A number of articles from July 21st call her a new character for the show.

But they were all reporting on the panel itself, so I guess CBR got him to confirm it to them after?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh! A good underused character. Same with her dad.

Spoke too soon. Stupid WB

Too bad there isn't Cyborg, Raven, Kid Devil, or Offspring.

Yeah I was kinda hoping at least Cyborg and Raven would show up, especially since the show uses a modernized form of the Silver Age JLA and thus, no stupid Cyborg in the League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They might have just not announced them yet. That could just be the team at the start/near the beginning, and other characters get introduced later on.