Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
18if is weird cause every ep is a different director and from the sounds of it episode 3 is like, far and away, leagues above the first two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Araki posted:

I didn't watch Hand Shakers (only saw a bunch of gifs), but at least it seems to have been entertainingly horrible, 18if doesn't even have that.
Pretty much. Also, the anime depiction of the My Hero Academia's fight between Iida, Todoroki and Deku vs Stain is a thing that I wanted to see animated. And now that it's done, I'm left feeling like it was over too fast, but I'm glad that it happened. :)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna say your reaction to Hand Shakers vs 18if depends entirely on how insulting you find actively awful anime vs. mediocre ones, respectively.

e: and considering how ep2 is actually coherent and ep3 is genuinely good and looks great, the comparison completely falls apart anyway

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Youkai Apartment is a better to read as a manga than watch as an adaption because I can kind of forgive its zig zagging tone in print, but it wouldn't be fun to watch.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I haven't been watching it since I follow the manga, but i can confirm the old man yelling at clouds tone is kind of always there and only gets worse

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I agree.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I gave up on 18if and Princess Principal after their respective first episodes... if hype increases dramatically, I'll consider picking them back up.

Right now the most frustrating show for me is Ballroom. Given the fact that all of the dancing scenes are still-frames or face shots, the addition of music and movement doesn't really add much to the experience for me compared to what the manga must be like.

Yeah dude that face you're making is really intense and all and I guess that's cool, but I'd rather see how you move between positions instead.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

I gave up on 18if and Princess Principal after their respective first episodes... if hype increases dramatically, I'll consider picking them back up.

I and most people I've seen thought Princess Principal really picked up in its second episode, so it might be worth giving that a shot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Araki posted:

My Hero Academy: It's good, but the current arc doesn't really do it for me. I hope we'll get some more classroom scenes before the season is over.

This week was basically the end of the Stain arc and once we deal with wrapping up loose ends, the season will end with what's basically a midterm exam.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Princess Principal is roof-raisingly great. For me, PrinPrin and Kakegurui are the shows of the season (though if we're going by merry-making, Tsurezure Children has them beat)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blhue posted:

I haven't been watching it since I follow the manga, but i can confirm the old man yelling at clouds tone is kind of always there and only gets worse

Yeah it's easy to kinda zone out and skim past the really preachy parts when you're reading which is what I always do but I don't imagine that's quite as easy when you're watching.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also it's a bad-looking show

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I and most people I've seen thought Princess Principal really picked up in its second episode, so it might be worth giving that a shot.

I thought it had a pretty good 1st episode too tbf. Though episode 2 was really great and dropping the show before watching that episode would be kind of a shame.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ep 1 of princess principal is basically just to set the tone, rather than actually being a very good introduction to the central cast like episode 2 and 3

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Here are my 3-episode judgements.

Princess Principal: Show of the season for me. So far, it's doing everything it sets out to do almost perfectly.

Made in Abyss: 2nd place for show of the season. Along with being beautiful, it balances its sense of childlike wonder and sense of overwhelming foreboding.

Hina Logi: This show reminds me of Dog Days, which is why I'm enjoying it.

Centaur's Worries: Unfortunately, it's not really living up to the source material, and if I find a better SoL show this season, I'm probably going to end up dropping this.

Fate/Apocrypha: Pretty standard Fate series, and the Servants are all entertaining so far.

Nobunaga no Shinobi: It's still good, but Chidori's barely in the new opening. What the hell's up with that?

Symphogear: Playing major catch-up, still on the first season, and already in love.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vb9yv

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kytrarewn posted:

Somehow I would have expected you to be among the people watching Youkai Apartment

Of the shows you listed, I'm closest to dropping Centaur, if anyone cares.

I knew this season would feature lots of sampling, and I had to make some early cuts! However, it sounds like that show is occupying the same space as some other comedies this season, but with less good execution.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
3 episode opinion on Dive:
Man I wish this show wasn't so ugly :(
There's enough interesting stuff going on that I'm still engaged, like the little protag dude finding his niche and learning that prioritizing his diving goals is very isolating. I'm glad fat coach got a little characterization, he's pretty cute :3: However it's hard to get into the drama when there's nothing really engaging or dynamic about the animation at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Well, I hope they keep that kind of visual flair up, because it's exactly what a Persona 5 anime needs. I found the P4 show really boring to look at, so a step up this time around would be a really welcome surprise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would say they'd be fools not to at least try, since the visual style of P5 was one of its most universally lauded qualities.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

My season so far:

Princess Principal - Extremely my poo poo.

Hina Logi - Features a very good dad who knows how to make an entrance. Kind of slow, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'm hoping things pick up a bit in the back half because they've teased some interesting stuff.

Centaur's Worries - Eh. :geno:

New Game+ - It's more New Game! So far, I think it's every bit as good as the first season.

Tsuredure Children - Very sweet, very funny. It's good.

Guru Guru - I never read the manga or watched the older anime, so this is all new to me. I think it's a lot of fun, but totally get why the style(s) might be a turn-off for some people.

Symphogear - It sure is more Symphogear! Hibiki continues to be the best.

Nobunaga no Shinobi - Still an excellent way to kill 3 minutes.

Kakegurui - This show is kinda gross and dumb. But I also kinda like it in sort of a weird, trashy way.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Hopefully it's better than the terrible anime cutscenes

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Knight's and Magic is extremely dumb and generic, but it is self aware enough for me to enjoy it. The latest episodes set up some basic political intrigue, let people other than the MC accomplish things, and created a reason for continuing work on mecha development.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm liking Gamers a lot more than I thought I would. The main character doesn't bug me too much, and episode 3 was one of the funniest episodes of anime that I've seen in a long time. That said, I do normally avoid comedy anime so maybe I have weird taste in these things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how New Game!! is getting a bit more into drama and character arcs and stuff. I mean it's still New Game but it's nice to have these fairly likable characters given a bit of dramatic weight, even if it's just little misunderstandings or confidence issues that get resolved by episode's end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's very sweet and actually pushing it to be one of my favorite shows this season

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, New Game+ is looking like a really confident step forward from S1 - and I liked S1 a whole lot as it was. It, Symphogear, and Princess Principal are looking like they're gonna be in a dogfight for my AOTS for a while.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Not enough people are talking about Action Heroine Cheer Fruits and it basically being Locodol, but with Live-actions SFX shows instead of idols.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ukiljx.webm

Edit: The VA for Akagi An/Cheer Red was also the VA for Nanyako Nanako in Locodol too

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 31, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I am the one person standing up for The Reflection and I will tow it until it actively offends me.

Honestly I'm still interested in wherever it's going, but it does move s l o w.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Not enough people are talking about Action Heroine Cheer Fruits and it basically being Locodol, but with Live-actions SFX shows instead of idols.

Edit: The VA for Akagi An/Cheer Red was also the VA for Nanyako Nanako in Locodol too

This was a pitch-perfect reference to one of my favorite Super Sentai so I am fully behind Cheer Fruits. I've never watched a single Idol show, but I adore tokusatsu and those dorky stage shows so I am loving it, Muramura is a great execution of the oblivious rich girl trope, I like that she was actually competent too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Girls und Sentai

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Every Idol Show Pales in Comparison to the 2011 Idolmaster show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the 2015 idolmaster show is really good actually

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

the 2015 idolmaster show is really good actually
That's the one with the goofy, stone-faced producer, right?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the cinderella girls anime is great and has the best producer of all the imas animes imo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

the cinderella girls anime is great and has the best producer of all the imas animes imo

It's him then P-san from Puchimas.

I really want to see a Puchim@s for the Cinderella Girls. Also I hope their P-san is just a big stone P

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Cinderella Girls has some good im@ses, but they're diluted by the size of the cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Cinderella Girls has some good im@ses, but they're diluted by the size of the cast.

on the flipside cinderella girls has characters with actual development that isn't spurred on by the producer glancing in their direction

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

miku's arc from lovely whiny cat to the only sane person in the cast is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How many im@ses have crushes on the producer, and is that okay?

• Locked thread