Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

I think they might need to FAQ that because in every case where something cant carry terminators it says specifically no terminators.

The only thing the repulsor says is no jump packs and regular terminators are excluded by the primaris tag, but inquisitors ignore tags like that.

Yeah it's fairly dumb, especially because RAW Inquisitor Karamazov can ride anything. I guess the Throne of Judgement folds down really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Now I wanna make him riding on a lawnchair.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's fairly dumb, especially because RAW Inquisitor Karamazov can ride anything. I guess the Throne of Judgement folds down really well.

Wait, nope, reading the book here.

quote:

Units with this ability can embark onto any Imperium Transport even though the transport in question might normally only permit models with other faction keywords to do so. All other restrictions apply and Inquisitor Terminator models can only embark upon Transports that specifically allow terminator models to do so.
So inquisitor terminators require positive permission rather than the absense of a negative, and karamazof is excluded by his vehicle tag since the authority rule only excuses faction tags.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Wait, nope, reading the book here.

So inquisitor terminators require positive permission rather than the absense of a negative, and karamazof is excluded by his vehicle tag since the authority rule only excuses faction tags.

So I need to see if GW screwed up and forgot to add the infantry tag to something. Did they specify infantry in the Repulsor?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I need to see if GW screwed up and forgot to add the infantry tag to something. Did they specify infantry in the Repulsor?

<Chapter>, Primaris, Infantry Specifically on the repulsor.

Artum fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 30, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

<Chapter>, Primaris, Infantry Specifically on the repulsor.

So Inquisitors can't ride in Repulsors anyway because Primaris is not a faction keyword.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

I'll admit, this is more about aesthetic than actual in game impact. It's just weird having an iconic Space Marine weapon not present in the entire range, even if Reiver machetes are functionally identical.

I said Hellblaster style. 5-10 man style infantry, usually on foot, defined entirely by using a specific weapon in a few distinct potential variants. Aggressors are a completely different niche from that. It'd be like pointing out plasma Inceptors when I'm describing Hellblasters.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So Inquisitors can't ride in Repulsors anyway because Primaris is not a faction keyword.

So it seems.

The transport rules are a loving mess.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

So it seems.

The transport rules are a loving mess.

The transport rules seem fine for the most part. They want to encourage building armies at the detachment level instead of minmaxing an Imperium GI Joe squad of the best units from each faction.

The Primaris transport rules, on the other hand, are a horrible mess because GW is too gunshy to risk any part of the range touching another part while also refusing to make them two distinct factions.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Niche protection isn't a bad thing, my first impression is that it's kind of cool to see them forcing tough choices in their super protagonist faction.

Quick question, what do the old DE Mandrake figures best count as in the new list? Wytches or Blood Brides maybe? Bondage Goth Harlequins?

moths fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 30, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Fluff question: how do the Eldar and Khorne feel about each other? Don't they have a mutual enemy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goose willis posted:

Fluff question: how do the Eldar and Khorne feel about each other? Don't they have a mutual enemy?

Just read up on their avatar, Khaine.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

goose willis posted:

There's an ongoing debate whether their god Khaine is an aspect of Khorne or a separate and independent deity. This debate's been going on for thousands of years and its casualties number in the trillions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

The transport rules seem fine for the most part. They want to encourage building armies at the detachment level instead of minmaxing an Imperium GI Joe squad of the best units from each faction.

The Primaris transport rules, on the other hand, are a horrible mess because GW is too gunshy to risk any part of the range touching another part while also refusing to make them two distinct factions.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I want Land Raider for my Primaris dudes but I guess they're too tall to ride or something.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I want Land Raider for my Primaris dudes but I guess they're too tall to ride or something.

I wouldn't mind splitting the difference so a Primaris counts as 2 models. That way you have to take MSU without character support for transporting Primaris, but they aren't literally incompatible.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The faction tags for transports are all great but beyond that things just having size was a far better solution. Not like there wasn't room for it on the datasheet.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

Quick question, what do the old DE Mandrake figures best count as in the new list? Wytches or Blood Brides maybe? Bondage Goth Harlequins?

... Mandrakes?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Bee posted:

I wouldn't mind splitting the difference so a Primaris counts as 2 models. That way you have to take MSU without character support for transporting Primaris, but they aren't literally incompatible.

Stop putting more thought into than GW.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I'm glad they're separate. :shrug:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

WhiteWolf123 posted:

you racist :argh:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are hunters any good? 90 points for a rerollable lascannon seems like a lot of points, and cheap at the same time.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Inceptor squads are so loving expensive holy poo poo :stare:

Like I'm not accustomed to 75 points per dude (unless this was changed in the codex?) when I'm playing Chaos

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
They drop to something like 60 ppm in the codex. Quite a bit more palatable.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yeah its nuts, they're 53ppm in dark imperium 75 in the index and then back down to 60 in the codex proper.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's almost like they are great model company and a lovely game producer.

They really need to stop putting points in print and just have spot online where you can grab only points.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Artum posted:

Yeah its nuts, they're 53ppm in dark imperium 75 in the index and then back down to 60 in the codex proper.

86 points with the plasma.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Question about the new codex/data slates in general. The power system is totally alien to me but I'm guessing its a quick way of working out a rough points value rather than a detailed one but the entries about increasing unit size's is throwing me off a bit.

e.g. an Intercessor Squad is 5 models at 5 power. You can add "up to" 5 more for +5 power.

I'm interpreting up to 5 more as between 1-5 more and therefore +1 power per model, but for the scouts entry it says up to 5 more models for +4 power.

Is it possible to have a unit of 6-9 marines, or is it locked at 5/10? Am I over thinking it? (yes)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

richyp posted:

Question about the new codex/data slates in general. The power system is totally alien to me but I'm guessing its a quick way of working out a rough points value rather than a detailed one but the entries about increasing unit size's is throwing me off a bit.

e.g. an Intercessor Squad is 5 models at 5 power. You can add "up to" 5 more for +5 power.

I'm interpreting up to 5 more as between 1-5 more and therefore +1 power per model, but for the scouts entry it says up to 5 more models for +4 power.

Is it possible to have a unit of 6-9 marines, or is it locked at 5/10? Am I over thinking it? (yes)

You pay the full price for the extra marines, even if you don't use all of them. For a squad of 6 Intercessors you'd pay 5 power same as you would for 10.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
60 feels about right with the bolters. I'm actually starting to include them in my jump pack lists now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Corrode posted:

... Mandrakes?

I mean the old 3e ones with pistols and eyes. I guess you could use them as Mandrakes, but they've gone through some pretty radical changes since their debut.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

PantsOptional posted:

You pay the full price for the extra marines, even if you don't use all of them. For a squad of 6 Intercessors you'd pay 5 power same as you would for 10.

Got it, so basically stick to points values to keep it fair then I guess.

I'm just trying to price up what I've got pointswise from the Starter and the First Strike models. With the 7 Plague Marines from the 1 box and 3 from the other it makes a nice 2x5 man unit. But 20+3 Intercessors made me scratch my head. The 3 Reivers are going to need padding with a separate box though I guess.

If I haven't mis-calculated (probably have) I have the Primaris and Death Guard units about 980/990pts each, along with a massive painting backlog to do.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wow. Both Chaos and Grey Knights coming next Saturday. Way faster than I thought.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/30/two-new-codexes-coming-next-week/

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
With points, you can pay per model and make a more precise squad. With powerlevel, you can't scale squad sizes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Same. Primaris may eventually replace tiny marines, but in the interim, not having them able to use marine transports really slows that transition down and gives strong reasons to keep using your regular joes

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
9 powers for Chaos, huh? I'm imagining 5 normal ones, so two new powers and then 1 tailored towards each god. Since Khorne doesn't care much for Psykers maybe Tzeentch nabs his slot?

Hopefully this can hold over Sons players until they get their own discipline back.

You're right about that, Chiurgeon, but I wish they made at least a Primaris Rhino or Drop Pod equivalent to accommodate. GW can differentiate the two without depriving Primaris of something as universal of a basic transport.

I'm also worried this is another case of trying to appease everyone and failing. All current material has Primaris as the new face of Space Marines, but they also can't use a large portion of a Marine's iconic arsenal. It'll baffle new players while still leaving old ones counting down towards doomsday for their range.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 30, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I wanted a way to make Nork a Bone 'ead Bullgryn when possible, so worked a bit more to get a magnetized shield.

The super-awesome SWA terrain kits have extra bits including a manhole cover. I cut off the surrounding "frame" leaving just the manhole cover and wrapped some chain around it.

Thank you to the goon who suggested getting the GW mold line tool. It's stupidly expensive and I used to mock it, however the metal is much more hefty than I thought, also the edges are surprisingly sharp- although not knife blade sharp. It's hard to explain, it's like the edges are perfect 90 degree angles. My only complaint is that the wood handle lacks a good grip texture and probably should have a larger diameter.

After Scratching my head over how to make it magnetic, and also give the appearance that he chain is wrapped around his arm, I noticed the chain was magnetic as well, so I just drilled a few holes to place a flush magnet behind the arm guards, and when I want to use the shield the chain just latches on. When I paint the arm, I paint and seal the exposed magnet disk and it's almost invisible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Very nice solution.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thank you to the goon who suggested getting the GW mold line tool. It's stupidly expensive and I used to mock it, however the metal is much more hefty than I thought, also the edges are surprisingly sharp- although not knife blade sharp. It's hard to explain, it's like the edges are perfect 90 degree angles. My only complaint is that the wood handle lacks a good grip texture and probably should have a larger diameter.

I helped one of the store managers at my flgs build two of his new dreads last night for his apocalypse game today, and I off-handedly mentioned this tool and it's rumored greatness. A few hours later once we finished, (again, gently caress building the legs on this thing) he comes back to the table with one and tossed it to me in thanks for helping him build them! :3:

I used it to clean up the lines on one of the dreads, and dammit if this thing isn't like spreading butter. It works so well and has a nice feel to it. Exacto knives, even the back of the blade, doesn't have the rigidity and precision of this thing. It just floats along and cleans things up.

Never not spreading butter on my hams.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

9 powers for Chaos, huh? I'm imagining 5 normal ones, so two new powers and then 1 tailored towards each god. Since Khorne doesn't care much for Psykers maybe Tzeentch nabs his slot?

Hopefully this can hold over Sons players until they get their own discipline back.

You're right about that, Chiurgeon, but I wish they made at least a Primaris Rhino or Drop Pod equivalent to accommodate. GW can differentiate the two without depriving Primaris of something as universal of a basic transport.

I'm also worried this is another case of trying to appease everyone and failing. All current material has Primaris as the new face of Space Marines, but they also can't use a large portion of a Marine's iconic arsenal. It'll baffle new players while still leaving old ones counting down towards doomsday for their range.

I'm prepping myself for disappointment on this one; in a leaked blurb for the iTunes downloadable book they only mention 3 powers each for Nurgle/Slaanesh/Tzeentch marks; I'm actually baffled by the notion that there may not even be unmarked powers in the book

e: gently caress the datacards preview even confirms this--the Chaos Datacards include 10 powers, one of which is smite. gently caress off with that poo poo, GW

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

I said Hellblaster style. 5-10 man style infantry, usually on foot, defined entirely by using a specific weapon in a few distinct potential variants. Aggressors are a completely different niche from that. It'd be like pointing out plasma Inceptors when I'm describing Hellblasters.
A Hellblaster/Intercessor-style squad of flamers wouldn't function that differently from a unit of Aggressors with flamers though. They'd be used almost identically though the Aggressors benefit from having powerfists, T5, and their additional special rules. They're pricy, but they've got a lot of firepower and possible utility. I don't think many people would take a hypothetical unit of basic flamer biglys over Aggressors.

I'd also argue that the plasma Inceptors are stepping on the Hellblasters' toes.