Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

tbp posted:

his design blows too

you motherfucker. you take that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry guys, I don't Mineta is due for an arc of any kind, he just kind of is. He's that in the class. The class clown. If you didn't have one in your class when you went to school, you were probably him. The kids laugh at him behind his back. They wish he'd sharpen up and take things more seriously. The teachers dread going to class to see what class trouble he's going to cause this time and if they have to deal with another complaint from the parents of another of the students because they got some uncomfortable questions when they got home.

He's the uncomfortable existence you just kind of put up with. "The author didn't need to write a character like that" indeed, but it'd be kind of unbelievable for there to be a perfect class with no flawed students, where everybody is a legit good and cool kid. Mineta fills a quota for verisimilitude, as it makes the rest of the class seem more cohesive and it puts their morality in a better light, it gives us a scale of sorts. Maybe he's a tad excessive. I don't really like him either. I don't think you're supposed to like him. And that's okay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone tell this kid to keep his loving hands to himself ffs

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mineta being third wall breakingly devastated when he plummeted in the character poll was pretty great.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd rather have Grapes than Sugar Man and Anima.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mordaedil posted:

He's the uncomfortable existence you just kind of put up with. "The author didn't need to write a character like that" indeed, but it'd be kind of unbelievable for there to be a perfect class with no flawed students, where everybody is a legit good and cool kid.
Actually that kinda points out how weird he is against the back drop of "elite class of best of the best hero students", but then, that has always felt more forced than really carried through the narrative.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno why people bellyache about Mineta so much.

He's literally the everyman/straightman of the entire class, even beyond characters like Sero/Ojiro. He (rightfully) freaks the gently caress out when a gaggle of murderers drops into their campus to kill them and says the 100% realest thing said in the whole arc when he points out they were JUST regular middle schoolers a week ago and you've got to be mentally ill to not be freaking out when a horde pops out of nowhere to murder you.

He's the only one to correctly tell Midoriya that Pros aren't going to be interested in someone who comes off like a self-defeating psychopath and whose quirk explodes their limbs.

His development in the semester finals is pretty good IMO. It's not insanely high-minded but realizing that the stuff that you DO makes you cool and a hero and wanting to be liked isn't bad. He's kinda like proto Booster Gold?

The problem is we don't really get enough of that poo poo- it's like one scant moment of personal development and moments of being the only sane man in class and then creepy drooling over all the girls. I don't know about crawling over a loving wall, but pretty much any redblooded hetero teenaged dude I went to school with would've absolutely peeked through the hole in the locker room if it was pointed out even if they felt bad about it later.

Kaminari is basically a more realistic portrayal of Mineta's worst trait- if you pay attention he attempts to mack on every girl he meets, and he apparently is partners with Mineta when it comes to oogling the girls they meet. Kaminari just does it like a normal human being instead of like the wolf from a Tex Avery cartoon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people don't like mineta because he's a joke character and his joke is often bad. sometimes it's good, but more often it isn't

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Terper posted:

I don't even remember who Anima is

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh that's the rock kid probably. Yeah I don't really care about him

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's Koji, yeah. His Quirk is that he's Doctor Dolittle, basically, but he's not as great at it because he's like scared of bugs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's only had one scene thus far that I can remember (the time he and jirou were paired up in that exam). idk that ultimate muscle has had a scene outside of winning the best dorm contest

class b kids have had more screen time than them

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Terper posted:

Those two characters have never had any real screen time or development at all. Class B has gotten more time than either of them, and even characters who aren't even in a hero class like Shinso and Mei have gotten more focus. They're barely even characters.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
At least Anima had that one scene that showed him as this shy, quiet guy that is unsure of himself and his power. Sugar Man had literally nothing. He is just cardboard cutout with Sugar Muscle Empowerment quirk stapled on it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

I Love Annie May posted:

The real problem with Mineta isn't that he is a "pervert", on the contrary he is one of the "straightest" males in the story, but rather that his very reasonable desire to connect with the opposite gender even on a sexual level gets neglected by others, whether they are other characters in the manga or its readers, and he's basically left on his own to figure out these pulsions and desires without any kind of guidance. And when Mineta inevitably does something that can't be ignored by others anymore, instead of being understood and educated in managing his sexuality, he's scolded by his peers and superiors, while readers take their turns blaming him of the sin of being interested in the opposite gender. Then, when both the readers and the characters are done blowing off steam, they continue pretending that Mineta doesn't exist until he does something that can't be ignored again and the cycle continues.

In a just world, Mineta's friend and teachers would recognize his feelings as valid and natural, and they would help him find a way to express them without hurting or molesting others. Unfortunately, this world is anything but just, so people's reactions to Mineta shift between "boys will be boys" and "how dare you molest this defenseless girl" and a war rages between these two sides. Most goons end up choosing the latter because they feel ashamed of their sexuality and don't want to be ostracized by their liberal peers, so they think that the "respect women" side is the "correct" one. What they don't realize is that both points of view are just two sides of the same coin, a coin called "rape culture".

hes a f*g loser

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Inflammatory posted:

you motherfucker. you take that back.

my favorite in the story is All Might - insanely buff, nice smile, cool, powerful, etc. this guy.... this guy is a 3 ft tall ball man who sucks

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mineta would be fine if his moments weren't half him doing things like sexually harassing and even outright feeling up the female students. Him being a perv is fine, him being a touchy-feely creep is gross and unnecessary, and anyone trying to get around that issue or writing arguments about his personality and whatnot or trying to compare someone hitting on girls to that is deliberately obfuscating the glaringly obvious problem people have with him and being deliberately disingenuous.

People don't like seeing teenagers get groped. Who knew. Turns out there are ways of making a character like Mineta and with all the "positive" things people here have described about him without having him grab the breasts of a girl who's saving his life and existing mostly as a vehicle for creepy fanservice and stuff. He can have good moments without being a budding sexual predator.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it's more that the issue goes beyond this one character, and while everyone would rather it wasn't a trope we saw pop up in a number of the shows we watch, we also aren't going to let the bad outweigh the good of this series.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of the side characters I always feel so bad for Sero and how insanely hard Todoroki owned him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of the side characters I always feel so bad for Sero and how insanely hard Todoroki owned him.

on the other hand, how insanely hard kaminari got owned by poison ivy is very funny to me

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

Don't mind it...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

At least Anima had that one scene that showed him as this shy, quiet guy that is unsure of himself and his power. Sugar Man had literally nothing. He is just cardboard cutout with Sugar Muscle Empowerment quirk stapled on it.

He's good at cakes.

Anyway I don't really mind Kouda and Satou because not every character needs focus or development, it's fine having a couple of background characters. Difference between them and Mineta is Mineta gets a fair amount of appearances and screentime which are sometimes funny and often just kinda lame. And the one time he got some real significant development with his battle against Midnight I thought it wasn't all that interesting.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I think of the comic so far as taking place from the perspectives of a few characters, and the rest are only developed when they share a scene with one of the POV characters.

I'm wondering if, during the second year, Class A and class B will be mixed up

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

why is minoru bad? like.. did he do anything bad? or does he just like baps. I don't remember him doing anything bad... but if he did something bad I would like to know.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

key party favors posted:

why is minoru bad? like.. did he do anything bad? or does he just like baps. I don't remember him doing anything bad... but if he did something bad I would like to know.

He side-handed Froppy's baps after she saved him (and immediately got dunked for it) and tried to sneak a peek at the girls in the hot spring. Also he's kinda dismissive of women and a huge, obvious horndog.

Beyond that he's lazy and cowardly. Though his showing against Midnight during the heroes-are-villains test shows he does have a pretty good strategic sense, and he used fake-panicky behavior to good effect.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Mirage posted:

He side-handed Froppy's baps after she saved him (and immediately got dunked for it) and tried to sneak a peek at the girls in the hot spring. Also he's kinda dismissive of women and a huge, obvious horndog.

Beyond that he's lazy and cowardly. Though his showing against Midnight during the heroes-are-villains test shows he does have a pretty good strategic sense, and he used fake-panicky behavior to good effect.

can you link the pages?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

key party favors posted:

can you link the pages?

The groping thing is in the water just after they escape the boat in USJ before they get to Shigaraki and Nomu, the hotspring chapter is just after they arrive at the camp after running through the woods.

e: not links but I am just off to bed!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
When I first started reading this thread it was right when the mods smacked down this exact same topic and made a public 'NO MORE ARGUING ABOUT MINETA' policy.

Time - An endless cycle! Ia, Iaaa!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Mirage posted:

Froppy's baps

Hello next username

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
People are very mad about Mineta

Also I'm loling @ the one guy in the thread going to bat for him who wished death on the blonde tsundere in SnS for being annoying

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

EmmyOk posted:

Hey, when you're basically Spider-Man, you're going to get owned from time to time. He'll get his time to shine.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Just wait for the 30 chapter Mineta/Anima/SugarMan arc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ojiro is happy to give up his limelight so that the other, lesser characters can have arcs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ojiro will climb his way to the n°1 hero slow and steady but everything will be off panel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is ojiro the tail guy

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

is ojiro the tail guy

yea

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ojiro's hero costume makes him look like Luke Skywalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mirage posted:

He also forcibly stuck himself to Yaoyozoru's back during the obstacle course race so he could leech off her performance.