Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Magner posted:

Is there any word of this being released on the UK/EU Appstore or will I need to dig up my US account if I want to try and play this game?

No; there's no indications of any EU release and even if they did one I suspect it wouldn't be for another year at least. Assuming you're on iOS a US account is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

For JP players, they're announcing the 2nd anniversary stuff.

They're also improving the rewards for starting, including the rewards for Fuyuki (giving 80 more quartz) and anyone who's already cleared it will get it retroactively.

That so?

FGO posted:

期間限定で開催されていたメインクエストのAP消費1/2キャンペーンを、終局特異点までを対象に永続的に開催されるよう変更いたします。
また、第一特異点から終局特異点までの各特異点ごとに、クリア報酬といたしまして聖晶石10個を追加いたします。
第一特異点から終局特異点までをクリアすると最大80個(聖晶石召喚26回分)の聖晶石をGETできます!
※なお、すでに終局特異点までクリア済みの方でも、同様にクリア報酬を受け取ることが可能となります。
So you get 10 for every chapter you clear, all in all 80.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

We're going to have to wait 2 years for this poo poo in english, aren't we

Probably not? They wouldn't be changing it unless their analytics told them they could make more money this way, so there's no reason for them to wait to apply the same changes in NA; that's why the English version started off with 3 quartz summons and guaranteed drops in 10-rolls. I do think they'll save it for a big event like new year's or the 1st anniversary, but I don't see any reason they'd wait for NA's 2nd anniversary to apply it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They probably would have announced Moon Goddess by now I assume if they were going to do it after Nerofest, right? If they do push it out I hope it stays at the end of September. I'll be so bummed if it's during the end of August when I'll be traveling and not have easy access to wifi.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

They probably would have announced Moon Goddess by now I assume if they were going to do it after Nerofest, right?

I don't think Nerofest got more than a couple of days notice, did it?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I did the paid gacha, and i finally got Jack. At long last i have a top-tier assassin

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Forget the summer gacha! Give me a king Hassan rate up, please.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I thought rulers could only be saints and other major catholic figures? Or is Sherlock also the pope?

PureRok posted:

I wish we had two threads. One for the West and one for JP, because it's getting difficult to tell who's talking about what.

If it's something cool and interesting it's JP.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Gamerofthegame posted:

I thought rulers could only be saints and other major catholic figures? Or is Sherlock also the pope?

No, they need to be impartial and to have no desire for the Holy Grail. It just so happens that those are good qualities for saints to have anyway.

Amakusa is a Ruler via a rigged summoning by the designers of the Fuyuki Grail System, and so the ToH just says 'ok fine he can be summoned as a Ruler now. Whatever'

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Holmes is generally considered to be catholic, and he's certainly a major figure. That said, I'm sure he's a Ruler primarily because they wanted him to have True Name Discernment.

Pureauthor posted:

Amakusa is a Ruler via a rigged summoning by the designers of the Fuyuki Grail System, and so the ToH just says 'ok fine he can be summoned as a Ruler now. Whatever'

Amakusa is also a major catholic figure, though - at least from a Japanese perspective.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 30, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yes, but Amakusa really, really, really wants the Grail for himself, so under normal circumstances he's ineligible for the class.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

From reading Fate Stay Night a thousand years ago I had the impression that heroic spirits had another purpose and the Grail wars were basically a dirty hack cooked up by some mage families. Is that correct or a memory error on my part? Overall the servants and grail wars feel a bit like lightsabers in the Star Wars prequels. They were cool when there were only a few of them so now everyone has them.
I guess what I want to say is that the whole thing feels a bit too derivative to me.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Depending on the series you'll get a couple of slightly different explanations of why the Servant system and the Throne of Heroes "really" exist,. but when you come down to it the reason is that people liked the idea of historical figures having super-powered battles when Fate did it, so lots and lots more Fate was made. In the alternate history where Tsukihime got big instead we'd be getting a bit tired of vampires by now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As far as the F/GO version of the Nasuverse is concerned we'll get more backstory on the Servant summoning system and the reason for its existence in the 4th Singularity of London.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Good, I'm just starting London. It already looks more up my alley than the previous chapters.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

That so?

So you get 10 for every chapter you clear, all in all 80.

Whoops, you're right. I misread that.

genericnick posted:

From reading Fate Stay Night a thousand years ago I had the impression that heroic spirits had another purpose and the Grail wars were basically a dirty hack cooked up by some mage families. Is that correct or a memory error on my part? Overall the servants and grail wars feel a bit like lightsabers in the Star Wars prequels. They were cool when there were only a few of them so now everyone has them.
I guess what I want to say is that the whole thing feels a bit too derivative to me.

You may be thinking about counter guardians, who are summoned by the world to protect it from threats, usually humanity. IIRC all counter guardians are heroic spirits, but not all heroic spirits appear as counter guardians. Emiya is the most notable example, and IIRC there are at least a couple appearances by counter guardians in the FGO story and events.

They have definitely watered things down compared to how it used to be. In FSN and Zero, servants were these huge existences that needed the support of a fount of unlimited magic power just to manifest in this world, where using their NP a few times could completely exhaust their magic power, and where creating the holy grail has been pursued for hundreds of years but never achieved.

Then along comes Extra, in its weird alternate universe where everyone's in the matrix and all the FSN characters appear but are actually different people, and there are 128 masters instead of 7.

Then comes Apocrypha, expanding up to 15 servants instead of 7 just so they can use up all the character designs they had lying around from their cancelled MMO.

And now finally we have FGO, where the protagonist freely contracts with dozens of servants, many of whom just appear randomly in the singularities, their command spells regenerate daily, and you get more holy grails than you know what to do with.

They kind of retcon things here and there to make it fit, but they've definitely cheapened things a bit.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you want a non spoilery explanation that comes from the original game, the Throne of Heroes and the Heroic Spirits inside exist to save humanity from itself, basically.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Whoops, you're right. I misread that.

You may be thinking about counter guardians, who are summoned by the world to protect it from threats, usually humanity. IIRC all counter guardians are heroic spirits, but not all heroic spirits appear as counter guardians. Emiya is the most notable example, and IIRC there are at least a couple appearances by counter guardians in the FGO story and events.

Yeah Emiya's backstory is what I was thinking of. He got his wish to be a hero in a monkey paw way by becoming the world's garbage man but all the grail wars all the time doesn't really fit with this.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it was implied in FSN that summoning Servants without a Grail providing mana is just really hard but doable.

But I think it makes sense that maybe there were hundreds of wars for Lesser Grails not just Fuyuki. It's said in the original VN that the Fuyuki grail is something like the 989's grail candidate.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think they mentioned the Fuyuiki grail was the latest attempt to create/obtain a Holy Grail (including historical attempts to find the actual Grail, not just mage bullshit) but this particular method made by Einzbern And Her Crazy Pals(TM) with the explicit goal of reaching the root via summoning/depositing vast amounts of mana from the Throne was the first time it was systemised, and it got copied a lot? There's nothing intrinsically wrong with how they tried it, they just hosed up real bad by trying to cheat and poisoning the whole thing with Angra Mainyu.

Some piece of media mentions that after the Einzbern method was spread around different groups of cheap scrub-tier non-association mages tried their own, only without a massive leyline/energy system like Fuyuki has. So they all ended up fighting tiny no-name wars using a handful of hosed-up servants that failed even as wish-granters. I don't know if that was a main timeline event though or one of the other alternate timelines, because sometimes the T-M wiki feels like it was machine-translated.

Kill all mages IMHO.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Throne of Heroes and Heroic Spirits are a naturally-occurring phenomenon that sometimes get used for various purposes. The Earth (aka Gaia, or Alaya) uses whatever Heroic Spirits it can as Counter-Guardians to protect itself against the depredations of humanity, but the Earth doesn't run the Throne of Heroes or anything. That being said, most of the heroes in the Throne are human spirits. If the Earth summons them to defend it against an outside threat, they'd probably respond.

Emiya's situation is complicated. He apparently struck a deal with the Earth where the Earth would lend him the power of the Counter-Force (an energy source borne of humanities will to avoid extinction) to stop a potentially world-ending catastrophe (a nuclear meltdown). Stopping the meltdown got him recognized as a true hero, which meant he would enter the Throne and then become a Counter-Guardian for Alaya after death.

A lot of the confusion regarding Heroic Spirits is intentional. They explain Heroic Spirits like three or four times in Fate/Stay Night and each time the explanation changes because all the original creators of the Grail are dead and/or crazy, and the only sane mage in the series is a goof who got all of her information secondhand.

Mages not knowing what is up while meddling with stuff wayyyyy above their paygrade is a running theme in the Nasuverse.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That's from the Apocrypha timeline where due to Nazis trying to steal the Grail the whole thing became leaked to the magecraft community at large. Remember that Nasuverse mages are secretive assholes as a rule and guard the secrets of how they do poo poo zealously. It took a giant shakeup for other mages to be able to figure out how the summoning worked. And even then they never realized how vital the Greater Grail was to the entire thing.

And then you have Strange Fake where the people in charge are just 'Eh, we're just summoning a bunch of the strongest people to have ever lived. Let's just wing it.' And then they get Thomas Edison as a spider robot tank.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
To add, one of the enduring rules of the Nasuverse is that power makes its own rules.

I haven't spoiled myself on the story but I'm guessing Chaldea and (YourName) are being juiced by something big, maybe its own Greater Grail, to be able to let it break the rules so flagrantly.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is the fact that the moon is an akashic records a fate/extra thing or an entire series thing

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tired Moritz posted:

is the fact that the moon is an akashic records a fate/extra thing or an entire series thing

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the moon is not secretly a giant quantum computer built by aliens outside of the Fate/Extra continuity.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sion mentions the Moon Cell at one point in Melty Blood so I dunno.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Sion mentions the Moon Cell at one point in Melty Blood so I dunno.

IIRC the moon cell mentioned in Actress Again was in relation to a potential future Tatari version of Sion, and while both act as sort of pseudo akashic records, doesn't seem to have any relation to the moon cell of Extra.

Extra and Tsukihime in particular are two bits of Type Moon that are difficult to put together, since they both seem to make some contradictory claims about the moon IIRC.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They actually did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm3JLUO9Urs

They actually went and did it

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Finally. Do I have to spend quartz to get Shielder to bounce on the ball?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
You probably have to grind for a while first.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

I didn't raise Mash to dress like that.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

:eyepop: Looks like she picked up a few buster cards with the transition to 3D

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Countdown to Boudicca DLC..

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Medusa DLC or bust.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
mash is such a boring waifu. god, she's a walking "SENPAI".

lol at the scene of her bouncing on the ball though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Man have I been doing this event wrong? I've been doing only the 30ap quest to get gold medals after gettin the first clear bonuses. I'm still 250 short from getting the last 2 lores and it doesn't seem possible to get another 400 on top of that to get the 2 nightless roses unless I burn some apples.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cyxx posted:

Man have I been doing this event wrong? I've been doing only the 30ap quest to get gold medals after gettin the first clear bonuses. I'm still 250 short from getting the last 2 lores and it doesn't seem possible to get another 400 on top of that to get the 2 nightless roses unless I burn some apples.

It seems likely that the 40AP that's added tomorrow will give more than twice as many gold medals as the 30AP.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

New Leaf posted:

A Carmilla DLC that can only be played on the ground like the worm you are. :whip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

3 rolls on the anniversary banner and no Holmes or even a 4 star servant. Guess that double 5* on the paid gacha stole my luck.