Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

SavageGentleman posted:

Wow, crazy stuff!http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/iambl_th.htm

Drawing divine presence into statues is apparently part of the everyday reponsibilities of ancient polytheistic priests. I guess I will keep that in mind next time I visit the British museum.

Honestly, I woudn't take Iamblichus' word on anything regarding actual ancient pagan practice. The later Neoplatonists tend to play with a highly intellectualized image of what pagan cults should have been like - it's not for nothing that when the Emperor Julian tried to revive pagan practices - conceived in a Iamblichan vein - against the rising tide of Christianity, the pagans on the street found what he was selling unrecognizable and unappealing.

Basically, trusting in Iamblichus would be more or less analogous to some future archaeologist trying to understand liturgical Christianity as practiced by the average believer based on this thread alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
While he's perhaps not a perfect resource, he came a generation before Julian the apostate, and honestly what better resource do we have? Serious, not rhetorical question.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Well, you have depictions of cultic practices in a large number of poetic and prose texts, histories, rhetorical works, the "ancient novels," ritual manuals, travelogues from the era when temple tourism was definitely a thing, Roman legislation pertaining to cults, votary inscriptions, random letters written by someone or other who visited some temple, depictions of ritual practice in the visual arts - there's really no shortage of sources. Granted, it's all but impossible to pull a unified portrait out of all of it, but that's because it was really quite diverse in practice.

And yes, Julian was later, but he was supposedly educated by one of Iamblichus' pupils. He basically mashes up his upside-down Christianity with the later strains of Neoplatonism and calls it pagan. That's not at all a difficult thing to do, since with their fixation on the One, the later Neoplatonists weren't really very far from being monotheists already. That's also why Proclean Neoplatonism can so easily become Christian when it is taken up by pseudo-Dionysius.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Iamblichus would have been basically unknown in the Latin West during the Middle Ages, so there's probably no direct line to be drawn.

In a way, he was aware of Iamblichus, I just don't think he really knew it.

Aquinas does have access to Porphyry's Letter To Anebo since he quotes it in Summa Contra Gentiles and gets most of his arguments about theurgy from it. In a way, he was continuing Porphyry's fight against Iamblichus' idea that magicians can, through their own human will or action, manifest supernatural effects. Rather it must be an invocation of another intelligence, but definitely not celestial bodies.

But the fact that Aquinas never attacked Iamblichus' arguments against Porphyry in De Mysterii seems to indicate that he never had Iamblichus' response to the Letter To Anebo, because that would be rather out of character of Aquinas to know about arguments and not object to them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HopperUK posted:

Hahaha I love how cross the wizard chap is there. When you are QUITE done pissing about :mad:

This is more or less how my interactions with forest spirits go. Buggers love singing and dancing around a lot more than paying attention and being a convenience in any way at all :)

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Well, you have depictions of cultic practices in a large number of poetic and prose texts, histories, rhetorical works, the "ancient novels," ritual manuals, travelogues from the era when temple tourism was definitely a thing, Roman legislation pertaining to cults, votary inscriptions, random letters written by someone or other who visited some temple, depictions of ritual practice in the visual arts - there's really no shortage of sources. Granted, it's all but impossible to pull a unified portrait out of all of it, but that's because it was really quite diverse in practice.

And yes, Julian was later, but he was supposedly educated by one of Iamblichus' pupils. He basically mashes up his upside-down Christianity with the later strains of Neoplatonism and calls it pagan. That's not at all a difficult thing to do, since with their fixation on the One, the later Neoplatonists weren't really very far from being monotheists already. That's also why Proclean Neoplatonism can so easily become Christian when it is taken up by pseudo-Dionysius.

I haven't read the Satyricon, but I have read Apuleius' Metamorphosis, and it really isn't something you could reconstruct a cult of Isis from.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

CountFosco posted:

I haven't read the Satyricon, but I have read Apuleius' Metamorphosis, and it really isn't something you could reconstruct a cult of Isis from.

Not to mention that the cult depicted in it is heavily influenced by Apuleius's own Platonism. Honestly our best written evidence in this regard is inscriptional rather than literary.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

CountFosco posted:

Of course not? That's why studies of these things tend to collate whatever fragments can be gleaned from a range of sources, and try to account for differences of period, locale, authorial interest and all that. It's often nebulous work, to be sure, but one works with what one has.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so, if i were to get another tattoo, would y'all recommend virtu or ἀρετή?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
my biases in this matter are known to the thread

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'd go with virtus because more people will be able to read it and probably even know what it means.
If it's in a place or font where people won't be able to read it either way I'd get arete because it sounds nice.

j/k I'd get 随处体认天理 because that's really close to "find God in all things" which is a good motto imo

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GAIL posted:

so, if i were to get another tattoo, would y'all recommend virtu or ἀρετή?

I looked up both words to see their individual nuances but at the end of the day I just think the Greek is more visually appealing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd definitely go with the Greek. Mind you all I have to go on is an anthropology major friend of mine once explained to me the Roman conception of virtus, plus my general sense the modern meaning of the word, but going for the Greek still just seems to be more precise.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
poo poo i forgot the difference between latin and italian again

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Machiavelli's fault for mixing them

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

Machiavelli's fault for mixing them
ya that's who i was thinking of

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAIL posted:

ya that's who i was thinking of

I knew

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I say forget the latin and the greek, and just go for "excellence." Deans love their excellence in teaching, in ethics, in whatever else needs be marketed this quarter. If you have excellence etched into your very flesh, how could you not beat the academic market?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I say forget the latin and the greek, and just go for "excellence." Deans love their excellence in teaching, in ethics, in whatever else needs be marketed this quarter. If you have excellence etched into your very flesh, how could you not beat the academic market?
TENURE on my arm with a banner and a bleeding dagger

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

TENURE on my arm with a banner and a bleeding dagger

the dean looks at it and says "you kids with your ironic tattoos"

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Asking advice:

Considering picking up either Greek or Russian. As I'm joining the Russian Orthodox, that seems a point in favor of Russian (I want to visit Russia in my lifetime).

However, there are points in favor of Greek as well. Getting into the septaguint, may be more useful should I travel to Athos, other Greeek areas which I also want to visit.

However, with Greek, there's the question of which Greek to get into, Archaic, Koine, or modern. I guess there's the whole old slavonic/modern Russian problem as well, but there it seems a bit simpler, just learn modern Russian.

So I'm leaning towards Russian, especially as the church I go to has a friendly Russian reader who would be willing to give me tips and such, but the academic in me is still tempted by learning Greek, with the allure of its history of philosophy and early church history.

Thoughts?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
classical greek. koine is for pussies.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GAIL posted:

classical greek. koine is for pussies.

Yeah - Koine is not so different from classical, most of the changes are simplifications of the grammar. So if you can read Classical, you can read Koine pretty much without issue - the opposite will not necessarily be the case. And if you want to read the Eastern Fathers, a number of whom atticize anyway, you might as well know your Attic.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the plus to learning russian is it can help you get a government job. the minus is everyone and their cousin's being sent to russian language schools by the government so it's a teacher's market right now

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In the weirdest moment ever, my Orthodox priest told me I need to think about myself more and take better care of myself

What a world

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
is that anything like the time a deaf man told my mother she talked too much

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

In the weirdest moment ever, my Orthodox priest told me I need to think about myself more and take better care of myself

What a world

well, maybe you should.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CountFosco posted:

Asking advice:

Considering picking up either Greek or Russian. As I'm joining the Russian Orthodox, that seems a point in favor of Russian (I want to visit Russia in my lifetime).

However, there are points in favor of Greek as well. Getting into the septaguint, may be more useful should I travel to Athos, other Greeek areas which I also want to visit.

However, with Greek, there's the question of which Greek to get into, Archaic, Koine, or modern. I guess there's the whole old slavonic/modern Russian problem as well, but there it seems a bit simpler, just learn modern Russian.

So I'm leaning towards Russian, especially as the church I go to has a friendly Russian reader who would be willing to give me tips and such, but the academic in me is still tempted by learning Greek, with the allure of its history of philosophy and early church history.

Thoughts?

There are plenty of Russian monks on Athos, so go for Russian, imo. For tourism, really, all you need is English.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/29/from-the-enlightenment-to-the-dark-ages-how-new-atheism-slid-into-the-alt-right

It's sad to see how the author is still stuck deeply in the intellectual and political mud of New Atheism without even realising it.

Are we at war with Islam? Well yes, but it would be politically impudent to say so. Are black people inherently inferior to whites? We just don't know, and as a ~rationalist~ I'll gracefully refrain from taking a stand.

It really galls me how so many self-proclaimed “critical thinkers“ don't have the slightest clue not only about theology, but also about how religion entails so much more than just the faith-based aspects of it. But knowing about this stuff would mean familiarising yourself with things like cultural studies and history, and because those never produce anything you could post on the “I loving love SCIENCE“ Facebook page they clearly must be worthless. Maybe the author of this piece isn't as bad (I haven't read his other articles), but reading this didn't give me much hope in this regard.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

System Metternich posted:

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/29/from-the-enlightenment-to-the-dark-ages-how-new-atheism-slid-into-the-alt-right

It's sad to see how the author is still stuck deeply in the intellectual and political mud of New Atheism without even realising it.

Are we at war with Islam? Well yes, but it would be politically impudent to say so. Are black people inherently inferior to whites? We just don't know, and as a ~rationalist~ I'll gracefully refrain from taking a stand.

It really galls me how so many self-proclaimed “critical thinkers“ don't have the slightest clue not only about theology, but also about how religion entails so much more than just the faith-based aspects of it. But knowing about this stuff would mean familiarising yourself with things like cultural studies and history, and because those never produce anything you could post on the “I loving love SCIENCE“ Facebook page they clearly must be worthless. Maybe the author of this piece isn't as bad (I haven't read his other articles), but reading this didn't give me much hope in this regard.

Slowly, slowly I have come to realise that in public discourse, the words "logical" and "rational" mean "agrees with me". All words are only fit to be shouted anymore. I am rational and moral and telling it like it is, you are disingenuous and hysterical and probably a fascist. I don't need to listen to you because I already know that you are bad.

I don't know if the discussion has always been this poisonous: I used to see myself firmly on one side, so portraying the people on the "other side" as evil nutjobs seemed fair to me then. Now whenever I hear somebody talk about politics or religion I just get sad.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
The fact that today's self-avowed "skeptics" are just another brand of dogmatism would make me smile, if they weren't so forceful about evoking a thorough cringe.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

The fact that today's self-avowed "skeptics" are just another brand of dogmatism would make me smile, if they weren't so forceful about evoking a thorough cringe.

The concept of a "secular religion" really makes sense in that context. I kinda fail to see the psychological advantages of binding oneself to and fervently defending a worldview which sees humans as badly-built meat-sacks on a socio-darwinistic race to the bottom - but I'm sure these advantages must exist.
[edit:Looking at myself: I accepted that worldview mainly due to a)respect for the seemingly endless possibilities of science to explain the universe (still love the scientific method, just not scientism) b) the fact that this worldview is supported by almost all institutions & influencers c) I grew up with self-esteem issues and the concept of a hopeless, cold universe where chance-generated meatsacks hosed each other up just because they can 'harmonized' nicely with that]

Also personally, as someone rediscovering Christianity after bad experiences in childhood/youth, I would really love to see (Catholic) christianity stop trying to fit into the contemporary mechanistic worldview and embrace its 'supernatural' aspects: Mysticism, ritual, angels, approachable saints, relics, prayer, incense, whatever happens during transsubstantiation - bring on the mindbending sh*t!!

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 30, 2017

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SavageGentleman posted:

The concept of a "secular religion" really makes sense in that context. I kinda fail to see the psychological advantages of binding oneself to and fervently defending a worldview which sees humans as badly-built meat-sacks on a darwinistic race to the bottom - but I'm sure these advantages must exist.

Also personally (as someone rediscovering Christianity after bad experiences in childhood/youth) I would really love to see (Catholic) christianity stop trying to fit into the contemporary mechanistic worldview and embrace its 'supernatural' aspects: Mysticism, ritual, angels, approachable saints, relics, prayer, incense, whatever happens during transsubstantiation - bring on the mindbending sh*t!!

so you want orthodoxy

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I don't think it is advantageous for a Christian to make their evangelization about debating or supplanting cosmology if it does not support the universal logos of Christ: the will to love (ie, the desire to make right) oneself, one's neighbors, and all of reality.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

pidan posted:

Slowly, slowly I have come to realise that in public discourse, the words "logical" and "rational" mean "agrees with me". All words are only fit to be shouted anymore. I am rational and moral and telling it like it is, you are disingenuous and hysterical and probably a fascist. I don't need to listen to you because I already know that you are bad.

I don't know if the discussion has always been this poisonous: I used to see myself firmly on one side, so portraying the people on the "other side" as evil nutjobs seemed fair to me then. Now whenever I hear somebody talk about politics or religion I just get sad.

You find hints of it Aristotle already, it's not new. But I do suspect that the tenor has increased in these, the twilight years of democracy. Any dissent from the shallow pool of piss we call truth is deemed a personal attack, because somehow we're all too fragile to tolerate the possibility that someone, somewhere might disagree with us.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Read Ratzinger's Introduction to Christianity and it was very nice. Are his Jesus books as good? Do they contain the same amount of "Academic yells about how wrong everyone else is and how can they be this stupid?" ?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 30, 2017

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I know a lot of people for whom politics fulfills the role of a secular religion, giving them purpose in their lives. But politics, unlike God, doesn’t offer forgiveness.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

You find hints of it Aristotle already, it's not new. But I do suspect that the tenor has increased in these, the twilight years of democracy. Any dissent from the shallow pool of piss we call truth is deemed a personal attack, because somehow we're all too fragile to tolerate the possibility that someone, somewhere might disagree with us.

Maybe it's because we keep being confronted by the belief that the world seems a cold place devoid of any intrinsic meaning, and as that belief becomes more visible to an increasingly large number of people, (through 24 hour rolling news continual updates on social media etc) feel that there is less meaning in their own lives. We try and find places of safety because everywhere is constantly reminding you of all the things that are wrong, with ourselves and the world.

Its also due to that that mystic understandings of the world are helpful, but because they always tend to be personal they are hard to find and, even worse, hard to contextualise.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Episcopalian who has been lurking here for about a year. Just wanted to say I have loved every minute reading this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Went to the first Mass following the renovation of the sanctuary at my parish.

New padding in the pews -and- on the kneelers...ahhh!

• Locked thread