Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MotU posted:

olwen is the best you freakin chumps

Not in a world where Rein exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Blarblade+ Olwen is actually pretty drat scary

Dire Thunder Olwen is a lot less scary

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only other blue tome user i have is robin, who isn't getting a blade tome since he's on blarrave ta duty.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elyv posted:

Blarblade+ Olwen is actually pretty drat scary

That's true

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Tae posted:

I have 0 olwen

I got a lovely atk- Olwen and an atk- Reinhardt

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MotU posted:

finally stopped picking up and putting down the game and managed to make an actually (near) skill complete Horse Emblem team of Olwen+5, Reinhardt+2, Xander and Cecilia

now just waiting for someone to tell me horse emblem is dead and worthless and i just didnt know it yet

Nope, Horse Emblem is still alive and well. And Cecilia is a bonus unit in the Arena this cycle. Have fun~

I run your exact horse team, except with Camus instead of Olwen. I have never drawn Olwen.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

+Atk Olwen is 1 Atk point better than -Atk Rein and has way more speed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The difference between Olwen and Rein is the difference between Hana and Chrom with Braveswords. They're just going for two very different approaches despite being the same weapon type.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
yeah thats why i use both

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The difference is that Rein can kill greens like Nino and other fast high res targets no problem and Olwen can't.

Rein is also far more self-sufficient whereas Olwen really needs hone cavalry to do well. Olwen is better off as a blade tome user in horse emblem than with dire thunder imo.

I wouldn't run both though since Rein can kill everything olwen can and more so I'd rather leave the slot to a unit of some other color (or even a healer).

That said, +atk Reins aren't exactly easy to get so obviously people are going to use her if they pull her and she does a fine job.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 31, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Can anyone solve this little mystery and explain how this Nino got these stats?

Her HP and ATK are slightly below medium (but not low), her SPD is slightly above medium (but not high), her DEF is EXTREMELY low (as in, lower than the lowest it can possibly be), and her Res is significantly lower than medium but not low.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is that in the tower? PvE enemies exaggerate their stat patterns

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

That's a 4* -DEF/+SPD Nino. Nothing weird about it.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
HP is standard. Attack is standard. Speed is plus. Defense is minus. Resistance is standard.

The key is she's 4*
Attack has 9 Might Gronnblade added
Resistance has Res +3 added

Completely normal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Can anyone solve this little mystery and explain how this Nino got these stats?

Her HP and ATK are slightly below medium (but not low), her SPD is slightly above medium (but not high), her DEF is EXTREMELY low (as in, lower than the lowest it can possibly be), and her Res is significantly lower than medium but not low.

That's a normal 4* +SPD/-DEF Nino (that's an extemely good nature for her by the way)

You are probably looking at a 5* Nino stat line.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's my Nino, when I was checking her stats. I got a second one, (+Spd, -Def, which I'll obviously be switching to/ranking up) but just for funsies I checked my old 4-star Nino and noticed her stats make literally no sense whatsoever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Andrast posted:

That's a normal 4* +SPD/-DEF Nino (that's an extemely good nature for her by the way)

You are probably looking at a 5* Nino stat line.

This IV calculator I'm on says that her speed is supposed to be 39 if it's +SPD and her DEF should be 16 if it's -DEF, for 4* Nino.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This IV calculator I'm on says that her speed is supposed to be 39 if it's +SPD and her DEF should be 16 if it's -DEF, for 4* Nino.

Well, the calculator is wrong (those are 5* stats)

Use this site:
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Nino

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Use the wiki

feheroes.wiki/nino

It looks like that calculator only has 5* stats, not 4* stats

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

:v:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh I guess since Nino 2 is +SPD -DEF the same as Nino 1 I'll just rank up the first. Thanks everyone.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Gamepress is hilariously wrong in many places so take their info with a grain of salt (lol Reinhardt is NEVER top tier according to Gamepress).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

Gamepress is hilariously wrong in many places so take their info with a grain of salt (lol Reinhardt is NEVER top tier according to Gamepress).

Why do all these tier lists love Effie so goddamn much? She's food for some of the most common threats in the game and doesn't have the ORKO power of Hector when defending.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Wary Fighter on a blue armor unit completely counters sword lords and the Gamepress list really likes sword lords for some reason.

The actual correct tier list for sword units has Ryoma and Xander at the top and the rest of them in the '???' pile except Ike and maybe Lucina.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

Why do all these tier lists love Effie so goddamn much?

no waifu no laifu dass why

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Wary Fighter on a blue armor unit completely counters sword lords and the Gamepress list really likes sword lords for some reason.

The actual correct tier list for sword units has Ryoma and Xander at the top and the rest of them in the '???' pile except Ike and maybe Lucina.

The inheritance tier list on the wiki has her on the top for some reason too.

I mean, all the tier lists range from absolutely awful to pretty useless but why Effie?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

ungulateman posted:

Why is Ryoma better than Ike?

Doesn't Ike have enough tankiness to withstand most mages' attacks and one-shot them in return? How does Ryoma compare to that? In my experience, Linde kills him in one hit, but often needs to use two hits to kill Ike and can get killed by his one shot in between if I'm unlucky. Distant counter is nice but Ryoma still seems like he's a fast-but-flimsy swordlord.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

The inheritance tier list on the wiki has her on the top for some reason too.

I mean, all the tier lists range from absolutely awful to pretty useless but why Effie?

There was a period early on when tankish Effie builds were effective.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oliveoil posted:

Doesn't Ike have enough tankiness to withstand most mages' attacks and one-shot them in return? How does Ryoma compare to that? In my experience, Linde kills him in one hit, but often needs to use two hits to kill Ike and can get killed by his one shot in between if I'm unlucky. Distant counter is nice but Ryoma still seems like he's a fast-but-flimsy swordlord.

Speed is the best defensive stat in the game. Ike has 1 hp, 5 defense and 3 res over Ryoma, that's not exactly massive.

Neither unit is OHKOing Linde at any rate

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 31, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

Speed is the best defensive stat in the game. Ike has 1 hp, 5 defense and 3 res over Ryoma, that's not exactly massive.

ew, absolutely. i cleared chain battle 11 today but i had to doublecheck reinhardt's defensive math vs bruno. a unit can have pretty reasonable defensive stats but it doesn't mean anything if they get doubled

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Speed is why I don't really get what makes ATiki and Nowi good tanks because they get doubled by anything relevant.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

Speed is why I don't really get what makes ATiki and Nowi good tanks because they get doubled by anything relevant.

Nowi is just a cheap way to have triangle adept and distant counter on the same blue character.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oliveoil posted:

I ran a Nino lineup in Arena for a very long time. Desperation Nino kills Ike, he's not that tanky.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
ATiki is bad

Neutral YTiki is 30 speed, which is a whole one less point than Ike. She compensates for this by having 11 more resistance [and a lot less attack assuming Lightning Breath+ but dealing magical damage helps with that]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

As far as I'm concerned any unit with less than 35 base speed is slow

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Has anyone surpassed Effie as the highest attack in the game? Because that's why folks use her.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

90% of Effie's usefulness is Wary Fighter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Armors are bad. I have to imagine that even Hector can't be that great in a world where Xander exists

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Then who is the best (Non-magic) blue, then? (I know Rein is the best in magic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The man called M posted:

Then who is the best (Non-magic) blue, then? (I know Rein is the best in magic)

Azura, by a lot

Otherwise, being a melee blue isn't that great of a niche at the moment (red sword lords have the same issue). Camus is pretty good and Ephraim can buff blade tomes well.

Edit: I forgot Cordelia. She's good.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 31, 2017