Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what are those lovely looking chairs?

maybe they were designed by the guy that designs apple mice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clearly its designed to make the workplace uncomfortable to encourage working from home!

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
if you work at apple, there's a nonzero chance you'll get stuck in one of the many many teams where you're expected to answer 3am emails in 2 hours or your boss will yell at you
appreciably higher suicide rate than the rest of the tech industry, i think

Iverron
May 13, 2012

that is essentially the setup I'm in now but with a little more space between "desks" and rows that aren't as long

I thought I could deal, but it's hell and I've started taking anti anxiety meds mostly due to how stressful an environment it is

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

curufinor posted:

if you work at apple, there's a nonzero chance you'll get stuck in one of the many many teams where you're expected to answer 3am emails in 2 hours or your boss will yell at you
appreciably higher suicide rate than the rest of the tech industry, i think

lol what?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

jony neuemonic posted:

this seems bad even by open floorplan standards.

Some architect got paid :10bux::10bux::10bux: for the design so how can it be bad???

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Iverron posted:

that is essentially the setup I'm in now but with a little more space between "desks" and rows that aren't as long

I thought I could deal, but it's hell and I've started taking anti anxiety meds mostly due to how stressful an environment it is

maybe it's time to :frogout:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
reminder that that brand new apple campus not only is too unique to resell space in but also has no day care space planned at all

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

reminder that that brand new apple campus not only is too unique to resell space in but also has no day care space planned at all

the spaceship isn't large enough to hold more than a small percentage of the South Bay workforce. they would have to lay off 90% of their employees before they needed to resell space in there.

apple never had daycare facilities, which is bullshit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

how can you be entirely dedicated to your work if you have other things in your life?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qhat posted:

Had a car crash phone interview today. Was asked to talk about some C++ code I'd written on Tuesday but no longer had access to (it was written on a website), but failed completely to answer some of the questions because I didn't have the code in front of me.

You should go to a bootcamp op, I hear they are amazing

Condiv posted:

you can't learn good programming from a bootcamp, and considering the prices they charge, you should be able to. worse, the schedule they have you follow means what little they do teach you will not end up sticking.

Ccs posted:

The way it was explained to me by a friend who took a Ruby on Rails bootcamp and now works in tech in NYC is that bootcamps basically teach the foundational comp sci classes (programming, data structures and algorithms) in the span of 8-12 weeks, combined with more programming practice and interview training than universities usually provide.

And if you get a job afterwards you'll be doing enough programming that things you learned will stick. A lot of students end up having to practice for 3-6 months after the bootcamp before they finally land a job, but during that time they're going on interviews and doing programming tests which also drive the info home.

Personally I'd only go to one of the bootcamps that either gives a full refund if you don't get a job after 6 months or takes a percentage of your salary for the first 3 years. The "spending $7000-$12000 on an unaccredited program" is too risky for me otherwise.

Ccs posted:

There are still bootcamps that offer refunds or take from salary so those are the only legit ones.

Ccs posted:

Yeah but the refund approach at least shows they're confident that the people who complete the program are job ready. Which is what people attend these things for. And there's currently not really an accredidation system for short-term job preparation systems. Coding is one of the few disciplines that it actually works for. Most other skills take a lot longer to master enough to actually find employment.

I dunno if these schools will continue in the future if the level of quality needed for entry gets a lot higher. But the fact that the technology is constantly changing also sets the bar back a lot, because even those in the field have to continually keep up.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

the spaceship isn't large enough to hold more than a small percentage of the South Bay workforce. they would have to lay off 90% of their employees before they needed to resell space in there.

laying off 90% of your employees is a totally normal part of the corporate lifecycle

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol plenty of coding bootcamps are ran by partnerships of companies and you're just paying for your own training, and they can just hire the people that are successful rather than firing low performers later on

people praise something that basically demonstrates that lots of companies could just hire a variety of people and train them for the job

but only executives and skilled union labor get to train on the job now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

this was me, i had worldcom stock because i worked for worldcom at the time. they bought and promptly dismantled uunet and before i knew it ebbers had hosed me out of my 401k but i didn't know poo poo about poo poo because it was my first real job

youre ex-uunet? thats awesome

i work with several

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i still remember the uunet dns server ips from back when we were on pipex dialup and uhh i guess whatever bullshit ppp subprotocol didn't set that stuff up yet

afaik they still work, even. but who cares when you have friend google's public dns servers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i remember when pipex were a good isp

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Thanks Ants posted:

i remember when pipex were a good isp

:same:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Iverron posted:

yeah i admittedly have some anxiety problems regardless but open offices just destroy me. i can deal if there's some buffer around desks but the last few have been sardine cans and aaaaaa nope.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

for a forum that likes to brag about how successful they are theres an unpleasant amount of non-office havers here.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hello my name is biker mcwarmweather and i will be your new office neighbor :barf:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

power botton posted:

for a forum that likes to brag about how successful they are theres an unpleasant amount of non-office havers here.

i have an office and i am just a(n overpaid af) firewall janitor

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
old-school companies ftw

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

old-school companies ftw

nah, i work for a 100+ year old company and still have an ~agile space~

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hello my name is biker mcwarmweather and i will be your new office neighbor :barf:

can this guy not take a shower?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have two offices and carefully keep it unclear to everyone which office i can be expected to be in at any given time

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i have two offices and carefully keep it unclear to everyone which office i can be expected to be in at any given time

Ah the old academic power play, having three offices and never being in any of them

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

we had a vp who ran engineering groups in two different states and timeshared between them and did exactly this

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I had 2 office workers who unconsciously hummed or whistled while they worked. People would ask them to stop and they'd get all embarrassed, but then they'd eventually start up again because they weren't aware they were doing it.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

shower pills are amazing

even better is an actual shower which I really wish my building would finally open, they've been talking about it for over a year

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

nice to meet you, I am a foreigner from a country where we don't shower. I hope you like the smell of my wife's cooking, I will be microwaving it at noon every day.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

power botton posted:

Lol if you think offices will be around for much longer, at my job (which is excellent) the next building we move into doesn't even have offices allocated for the execs. They have their own agile space but that's it - I think the CIO has a glass office maybe?

In other industries sure but in 5 years IT will either be working in agile space or working from home.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

nice to meet you, I am a foreigner from a country where we don't shower. I hope you like the smell of my wife's cooking, I will be microwaving it at noon every day.

lmao

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

abigserve posted:

working from home.

lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
idk i went from my own office at my old company to an open office at my current one and i honestly prefer the open office :shrug:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

you just reminded me of a coworker we used to have who had the worst breath I've ever had to deal with. you'd have to roll down the windows if you were in a car with him. either it was something medical or he ate nothing but garlic in his spare time. his wife also worked with us and we had no idea how she could put up with it.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

abigserve posted:

Lol if you think offices will be around for much longer, at my job (which is excellent) the next building we move into doesn't even have offices allocated for the execs. They have their own agile space but that's it - I think the CIO has a glass office maybe?

In other industries sure but in 5 years IT will either be working in agile space or working from home.

this is every bit as bad as it seems for every obvious reason.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blinkz0rz posted:

idk i went from my own office at my old company to an open office at my current one and i honestly prefer the open office :shrug:

i did the reverse and i don't know how the gently caress i ever did the open office thing

although they kind of half assed the open office so it really was "short cubicles"

also they encouraged teamwork and communication but strongly discouraged you from talking to coworkers about anything but the strict minimum because fun is bad and unproductive

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

abigserve posted:

i can't remember where i'm stealing this from but the quote goes something like: "you show me a ceo with no office, and i'll show you a conference room nobody can book"

computer touchers can work on an open floor but some people legitimately need privacy for phone calls etc

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i like working in an office around people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

i like working in an office around people

people are bad and offices destroy productivity

• Locked thread