Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I used to post there. The mods are absolutely ruthless on anyone casting doubt on a story and everything in the "War Stories" subforum is highly suspect. The culture there is also really cliquish and hug boxy.

I got that feeling, especially as the story I linked is posting by one of the mods and is so abjectly self-aggrandizing that, given the laws of physics, by now his head should have swollen to the point it would permanently block the sun to the point of Earth dying of starvation and/or rickets.

As I am posting this, I am obviously alive and therefore that story is false!

QED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

#IHaveNoFuckingIdeaHowHashtagsWorkAndThinkThisIsAmusingAndNotIrritatingAsFuck

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Crossposting from the Chapo thread. Pepe gets told he'll never get laid, responds with proof that he's already done the nasty.

https://twitter.com/wifedivorcer666/status/891439542418513921

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Crossposting from the Chapo thread. Pepe gets told he'll never get laid, responds with proof that he's already done the nasty.

https://twitter.com/wifedivorcer666/status/891439542418513921

Jesus Christ, why did I click that. The racist Pepe idiot is kind of obvious, but the people on the other side of this particular internet slapfight are insane communists who send him dick picks of their hosed up knobs on a book of Mao's quotes to prove how hardcore they are. This is political discourse today.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What's that theory that says humans have come so close to annihilating ourselves so many times, against staggering odds, which means we now live in an incredibly unlikely and therefore bizarre and ridiculous version of the universe

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Because that's what I think of when I see communists fighting racist Jack-o'-lanterns with cartoon frogs and dick pics and somehow this is just what 2017 is now.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Trebek posted:

haha that stuck out to me too. Her 700 dollar iphone in currently down. But it's cool her and god were on the same page about it.

#MyHusbandIsCasuallyMisogynisticTowardsMeButIAmFlatteredByItBecauseItsFramedInTermsOfHowCuteIAm

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Her husband is right on that last part, though.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Why is she hiding cookies in her bathroom? That doesn't sound sanitary.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RoboRodent posted:

Because she has nine kids!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RoboRodent posted:

My guess is she likes to eat cookies, but has internalized such intense shame about eating unhealthy food that she feels like she has to "hide" her addiction by eating them in secret. (Hiding alcohol around the house is one of the textbook signs of alcoholism.) She broadcasts this "secret" all across the Internet because admitting to foibles makes her relatable to her followers.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Pththya-lyi posted:

My guess is she likes to eat cookies, but has internalized such intense shame about eating unhealthy food that she feels like she has to "hide" her addiction by eating them in secret. (Hiding alcohol around the house is one of the textbook signs of alcoholism.) She broadcasts this "secret" all across the Internet because admitting to foibles makes her relatable to her followers.

I know quite a few young moms who just do it so kids can't raid their snacks :shrug:
Hard to keep cookies in the house if you have little kids that will just take poo poo. But then I hear jokes from the same moms about just hiding in the bathroom to get five minutes of peace away from their children, which is just depressing :smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why is that depressing?

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

oldpainless posted:

Why is that depressing?

I dunno, most of them have spouses who I know do not loving help them whatsoever.
The idea of a young mom having to legit hide within her own home just to get five minutes of peace while her husband sits around doing nothing just bums me out, I guess. I've literally seen jokes about them taking naps on the bathroom floor for 20 minutes just to get some quiet. :smith:
Why can't your husband just take them out for an hour so you can have a break? I just think that's sad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, I do that at work. The best part of my day. Not depressing at all.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What's that theory that says humans have come so close to annihilating ourselves so many times, against staggering odds, which means we now live in an incredibly unlikely and therefore bizarre and ridiculous version of the universe

We actually went to nuclear war back in the 70s. All this is some hosed up Vault-Tec experiment.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

hyperhazard posted:

I like how her idea of extravagance is $50 jeans. Has she been shopping, ever? Even Walmart charges like $30 for a pair.
Some people are constantly surprised at how expensive things are, even though stuff's been that expensive for years. They just have an outdated idea of how much something 'should' cost and can't seem to update it no matter how often they encounter the reality.

Source: The older members of my family.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Byzantine posted:

We actually went to nuclear war back in the 70s. All this is some hosed up Vault-Tec experiment.

Remember this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

It actually happened.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My mother is flabbergasted by the price of milk every time she buys it every few days, like a painful expression crosses her face every time without fail.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Sometimes, though, you just need a break from the kids. My little one is about a year old and if I dare to have a bowl of ice cream and she sees it, I'll be howled at until I give up the goods. I've gotta hide to have ice cream.

I try and do equal parts with my wife, giving her time for a bath or whatever wind down she needs, but I'm not always home. Depending on how the kid's acting that day (being super ornery or just crabby and refusing to take a nap), you just gotta find a way to get a few minutes of peace and quiet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's what TV is for :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Haifisch posted:

Some people are constantly surprised at how expensive things are, even though stuff's been that expensive for years. They just have an outdated idea of how much something 'should' cost and can't seem to update it no matter how often they encounter the reality.

Source: The older members of my family.

oldpainless posted:

My mother is flabbergasted by the price of milk every time she buys it every few days, like a painful expression crosses her face every time without fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPcLOtbG3s

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

My little one is about a year old and if I dare to have a bowl of ice cream and she sees it, I'll be howled at until I give up the goods. I've gotta hide to have ice cream.

"Gee, Byzantine, why don't you wanna have kids?" :ocelot:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Byzantine posted:

Had my daily reminder today when I saw a kid clutching a pillar inside a supermarket while laying on the ground. Using his legs to "run" while laying on his side he made sideways laps around the pillar while howling his lungs out because his mom wouldn't let him have something he wanted.

Like this but while clutching a pillar.

How we got to 6 billion people will never cease to amaze me.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Catberry posted:

Had my daily reminder today when I saw a kid clutching a pillar inside a supermarket while laying on the ground. Using his legs to "run" while laying on his side he made sideways laps around the pillar while howling his lungs out because his mom wouldn't let him have something he wanted.

Like this but while clutching a pillar.

How we got to 6 billion people will never cease to amaze me.

Right because you are so above everybody.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Trebek posted:

Right because you are so above everybody.

No because I really don't want kids and any interaction with kids just reaffirms it. Morality has nothing to do with it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

That kid is awesome

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Byzantine posted:

Catberry posted:

No because I really don't want kids and any interaction with kids just reaffirms it. Morality has nothing to do with it.

I like the cut of your jib. I feel like every time I get on the train, another of my eggs shrivels up.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Now that I have a niece I'm a little more understanding of children. Babies especially just cry out and yell for no reason, it might not even be that anything is wrong. I think if I ever have kids I'll be always carrying earplugs or something, though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Now that I have a niece I'm a little more understanding of children. Babies especially just cry out and yell for no reason, it might not even be that anything is wrong. I think if I ever have kids I'll be always carrying earplugs or something, though.

I suspect, for a lot of kids, it is because they can. They're learning about the universe and their place in it. Yelling makes a sound THEY made, and people RESPOND!

MUST YELL AGAIN!

(Or they are just having a good time. Other people yell, why not them?)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The best is when a baby scares/annoys/amuses itself with the sound of its own crying/screaming, which makes it cry/scream more and sets off an infinite feedback loop. This may also happen with dogs or birbs.

E: but yeah a lot of it is "holy poo poo I can affect the world around me??? I need to try this out some more!" It gets much more exciting when they discover they have hands and can propel themselves around somewhat.

CROWS EVERYWHERE has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Jul 31, 2017

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If it were socially acceptable for me to scream all day long I'd probably do it too.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Toddlers are tiny, drunk adults who are trying to quit smoking but having a really hard time with it, and coming off a bad breakup.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I realized a while back that when a 3yo sobs because they dropped their ice cream, that's genuinely the worst thing they can remember ever happening to them. The concept of disappointment is too nuanced so they skip straight to tragedy.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
The reality of it is babies don't have object permanence and so a lot of the shouting and crying is because they're alone and the action gets someone to pay attention to them. Studies show that the first 18 months are abso-loving-lutely critical to development, and the first 3 years total are super important so the kid doesn't turn in to a sociopath or psychopath.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The reality of it is babies don't have object permanence and so a lot of the shouting and crying is because they're alone and the action gets someone to pay attention to them. Studies show that the first 18 months are abso-loving-lutely critical to development, and the first 3 years total are super important so the kid doesn't turn in to a sociopath or psychopath.

Aw man now you tell me. Now I've already hosed up two kids. Third time's the charm i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Samizdata posted:

I suspect, for a lot of kids, it is because they can. They're learning about the universe and their place in it. Yelling makes a sound THEY made, and people RESPOND!

MUST YELL AGAIN!

(Or they are just having a good time. Other people yell, why not them?)

It seems likely that they're also just exercising their vocal cords a lot of the time. Still annoying as gently caress, whether or not it makes logical/evolutionary sense.