Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Victoria should have been the mother. She was always the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder how much makeup they had to slather on Cobie Smulders whenever they needed her to look ugly or frumpy for comedic purposes
That lady is supernaturally gorgeous

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

Segel was pretty transparent about how much he loathed doing the show by the seventh season.

And this is the reason he went from a rising star writer and director who was about to be trusted with The Muppets franchise to being practically unheard of outside of a Netflix film. You don't poo poo where you eat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's not a bad actor even though his movies are boring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

And this is the reason he went from a rising star writer and director who was about to be trusted with The Muppets franchise to being practically unheard of outside of a Netflix film. You don't poo poo where you eat.

No, Segel went to being a nobody because he was a raging alcoholic and developed a reputation for being incredibly moody and difficult to work with; after all the pissing and moaning that guys like Frank Oz did over The Muppets movie, he decided he didn't want to go anywhere near another film in the series.

DurosKlav posted:

Victoria should have been the mother. She was always the best option.

Bays and Thomas kept Ashley Williams on call to be the backup mother for like two years in the event that the series was canceled far earlier than planned (it wasn't until the fourth season that it stopped being in ratings hell).

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

No, Segel went to being a nobody because he was a raging alcoholic and developed a reputation for being incredibly moody and difficult to work with; after all the pissing and moaning that guys like Frank Oz did over The Muppets movie, he decided he didn't want to go anywhere near another film in the series.

Bays and Thomas kept Ashley Williams on call to be the backup mother for like two years in the event that the series was canceled far earlier than planned (it wasn't until the fourth season that it stopped being in ratings hell).

Yikes, and I thought Marshall's preternatural niceness drew from Segel's personality or something
I mean the dude was in a The Muppets movie, you can't be an rear end in a top hat and be in a Muppets movie. Next you'll tell me Cobie Smulders isn't actually Canadian

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Now I feel really dumb for saying that because Neil Patrick Harris is gay but dude at least is a magician in real life and that's why Barney is one too

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
He wasn't just in The Muppets, he's more or less entirely responsible for the project including personally getting Amy Adams to take the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSQekJ3M2Ss

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Now I feel really dumb for saying that because Neil Patrick Harris is gay but dude at least is a magician in real life and that's why Barney is one too
Magic fits Barney's personality super well though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Yikes, and I thought Marshall's preternatural niceness drew from Segel's personality or somethin

Alyson Hannigan infamously kept asking Bays, Thomas and the rest of the writers to limit how many times she'd have to kiss Segel, because until the seventh or eighth year his breath stank of booze and / or cigarettes all the time.

Guy Mann posted:

He wasn't just in The Muppets, he's more or less entirely responsible for the project including personally getting Amy Adams to take the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSQekJ3M2Ss

Yep, it was a pure passion project for him from the beginning. When Bobin and Stoller said they were developing a sequel, Segel first said he felt he had accomplished his goal (which was to bring the Muppets back into the spotlight) and so he didn't want to be part of it, but he later said that he was really stung by the criticism by guys like Oz.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Muppet people hated his Muppets movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

He's not a bad actor even though his movies are boring.

I'm not a big fan of David Foster Wallace but he nailed it in The End of the Tour

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

No, Segel went to being a nobody because he was a raging alcoholic and developed a reputation for being incredibly moody and difficult to work with...

I'm not sure were disagreeing with each other here.

Aphrodite posted:

Muppet people hated his Muppets movie.

Why?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Frank Oz loving hated the movie (he was notably sore that he was never consulted on the script, and he felt the finished product was too sappy -- feeling in particular that Kermit was written horribly, and the concept that the Muppets would ever become irrelevant was disrespectful), Dave Goelz admitted he did it for the paycheck and both Bill Barretta and Matt Vogel said at a few points they weren't particularly happy with it, either.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, I think Steve Whitmire was incredibly unhappy, too, to the point that he considered removing his name from the credits until cooler heads prevailed / they did some last-minute reshoots on the ending.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 30, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

Saget, not Radnor, narrated a montage where Robin continues to be a successful TV personality, Ted and Tracy live happily ever after, it ends with the meeting at the train station and "That, kids, is how I met your mother," fade to black / credits.

Edit: Here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHUs8J7x94

this video makes embarrassingly angry at the stupid, stupid creators of that television show.

It's like catching the kickoff at the one yard line, running all the way to the other one yard line, stopping, setting the ball down, drawing up a sign that says "OPPOSING TEAM PLEASE TAKE THIS BALL" and watching as the other team takes the ball all the way back to where you got it and score a touchdown.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Frank Oz loving hated the movie (he was notably sore that he was never consulted on the script, and he felt the finished product was too sappy -- feeling in particular that Kermit was written horribly, and the concept that the Muppets would ever become irrelevant was disrespectful), Dave Goelz admitted he did it for the paycheck and both Bill Barretta and Matt Vogel said at a few points they weren't particularly happy with it, either.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, I think Steve Whitmire was incredibly unhappy, too, to the point that he considered removing his name from the credits until cooler heads prevailed / they did some last-minute reshoots on the ending.

Oh. Well I thought it was a great film, and the Muppets had become irrelevant. Though I guess the people behind the scenes probably know better about what people want.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

this video makes embarrassingly angry at the stupid, stupid creators of that television show.

It's like catching the kickoff at the one yard line, running all the way to the other one yard line, stopping, setting the ball down, drawing up a sign that says "OPPOSING TEAM PLEASE TAKE THIS BALL" and watching as the other team takes the ball all the way back to where you got it and score a touchdown.

The final song was way better on the original ending we got though

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Calaveron posted:

The final song was way better on the original ending we got though

yeah well I'd rather watch Smash Mouth overlaid on a good movie than David Bowie overlaid on a coiled pile of poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2011 Muppets movie rules and Segel was pretty great in The End of the Tour. Sad to hear he's an rear end in a top hat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Muppets 2011 well enough. It's a lot better than most of the Muppets stuff that came out after Treasure Island.

Not as good as Manhattan, but what is?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Muppets 2011 well enough. It's a lot better than most of the Muppets stuff that came out after Treasure Island.

One of my favorite bits of Muppet trivia is that the guy who was in charge of the property from Muppet Treasure Island until the 2011 movie began production was this guy from Star Trek IV:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never saw the recent Muppet movies because like once I watched some Lady Gaga Christmas special and after that I decided I just wanted to keep my childhood love complete and just rewatch Muppet Movie, Great Caper, and Manhattan periodically without anything loving with that. And of course Christmas Carroll every year.

I still choke up in Manhattan at "Saying Goodbye." I remember openly weeping as a child and my entire family laughing at me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
man that Lady Gaga special was so fuckin bad

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really dug Segel's Muppets movie and thought the follow up was utter garbage I couldn't even finish. The TV series that followed sucked too and was rightfully canned.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

I never saw the recent Muppet movies because like once I watched some Lady Gaga Christmas special and after that I decided I just wanted to keep my childhood love complete and just rewatch Muppet Movie, Great Caper, and Manhattan periodically without anything loving with that. And of course Christmas Carroll every year.

I still choke up in Manhattan at "Saying Goodbye." I remember openly weeping as a child and my entire family laughing at me.

The 2011 movie is generally pretty good, especially the music.

Muppets Most Wanted is one of the most awful times I've ever had in a theater. Just a terrible movie in every respect.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Muppet Treasure Island isn't a great Muppet movie, but it's a pretty good Treasure Island adaptation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Treasure Island wasn't bad but its not like in my childhood memories.

Like, The Muppet Movie, the Muppet Show, and those Christmas specials were before my time, so I watched them but they weren't "mine". Treasure Island and that 90s show were just outside my childhood when I was still kinda paying attention but not really because there were girls and sports and stuff. But Great Caper and Manhattan just hit that perfect childhood sweet spot.

Well, and Muppet Babies I guess.

And the Jim Henson Hour/Storyteller which I loving LOVED as a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I like Treasure Island a lot because it came out when I was five and I went to see it in the cinema with my dad.

One of my favourite Muppet moments is Bernadette Peters singing "Just One Person" to Robin the Frog, but looking it up on YouTube led me to the same song from Snoopy the Musical, in which Snoopy is "voiced" by Cam Clarke and it's the weirdest thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cam Clarke?

As in Liquid Snake?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why is "voiced" in quotes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Because Snoopy doesn't actually speak; he has a voice over for what would be his thought bubbles in the comic strips.

You are right, though, I shouldn't have put it in quotes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One time, when I was teenager, I got into an argument with a child about whether garfield talks. It infuriated me to no end that the kid did not understand the difference between speech bubbles and thought bubbles.

So I accept your reasoning for putting quotes in it.

So I take is Liquid Snake doesn't sing the song, then?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, no, Clarke sings it. He has quite a pleasant singing voice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

I wonder how much makeup they had to slather on Cobie Smulders whenever they needed her to look ugly or frumpy for comedic purposes
That lady is supernaturally gorgeous

She's got an Audrey Hepburn thing going on in the Marvel movies and it makes every scene she's in really distracting since she's supposed to basically be an extra.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of Muppets fans (the type who post on Muppet fansites anyway) also disliked the 2011 movie because it strayed too far from Muppet canon or whatever.

It's basically the Space Jam for Muppets.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Space Jam was one of my favourite movies when I was little. I think I saw it three times in the cinema.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Space Jam was one of my favourite movies when I was little. I think I saw it three times in the cinema.

Your poor parents

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They took me to it once - the other two times were for friends' birthday parties.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

The canned Muppets show gets so much poo poo, but I really liked it. I felt the retooling at the second half of the season really showed. Plus, Uncle Deadly was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really dug Segel's Muppets movie and thought the follow up was utter garbage I couldn't even finish. The TV series that followed sucked too and was rightfully canned.

The Muppets was legitimately a source of comfort for me during a rough period of my life, all of the jokes hit just the right spot of sincerity. The songs and goofs in that movie are so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l3g9wtmrJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOW7270RLM4

• Locked thread