Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Slaan posted:

A. The Sultan was proclaimed Sultan by Allah's will! We cannot overthrow the Will of God, blasphemous fools!

Agreed. The Sultan it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A: The Sultan

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I, Dansar Rabb al'Ustul, would have preferred to never see the sultan and majlis in direct conflict over who is the superior power. Yet here we are.

Dansar Rabb al'Ustul will stand with the Majlis against this corrupt madman who never once in his life has done anything but politicking and frolicking. Against a fool who is so in love with the idea of absolute power that he is blind to the responsibility it brings, and the bureaucratic system needed to support it. Dansar Rabb al'Ustul stands firmly against Utman.

(also, I agree that the streak of a few people to pack several policies into one proposal needs to be stopped. One proposal == one policy)

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
B - The Majlis

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

A.

I stand with our great and mighty Sultan. I look forward to seeing you all on the gallows, traitors!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Rodyle posted:

It would be very funny if this just turned into the two governing parties eating the two non-governing parties for lunch.

Like Flamboyant Schemers all over again!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A

Time to S-S-slam

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I miss Flamboyant Schemers.

Sometimes.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Updated tally:

A - 14 - Mountaineer, Hitlers Gay Secret, Snipee, Ralepozozaxe, kibaces, Flavius Belisarius, Crazycryodude, HiHo ChiRho, Odysseus S. Grant, Slaan, Vinny Possum, crimea, Mr.Morgenstern, ThatBasqueGuy.

B - 27 - Rodyle, Ikasuhito, mcclay, Danny Glands, Weebus, catlord, RZApublican, the JJ, MuteAllison, AJ_Impy, WilliamAnderson, everydayfalls, Lord Cyrahzax, Yvonmukluk, Grizzwold, Talas, paragon1, HannibalBarca, Captain Oblivious, Quorum, The Bold Kobold, GunnerJ, ZearothK, Nine of Eight, TheFlyingLlama, Dance Officer, Rubix Squid.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

AJ_Impy posted:

I miss Flamboyant Schemers.

Sometimes.

I remember that it's our fault it ended. Constantly stabbing ourselves in the back proved to be too unfun.

Also, why the gently caress did we go to war as the merchants? That was quite possibly the dumbest idea.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

B. I have a feeling that we'll regret the vote regardless of which way it winds up, but it's been clear for a while something's got to give and it might as well be in our greedy, corrupt, incompetent favor.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
A – The Sultan. Remember, who was it that took a fledgling emirate on the edge of Iberia, surrounded by enemies, and turned it into the greatest state Allah has ever blessed His faithful with since the fall of the legitimate Caliphate? Was it the merchants? The nobles? The priests? No! It was the Jizrunids, flying the yellow banner. As our Sultanate remains great, many things have changed over the years. Different advisors, different land, different technology. But what has remained the same, throughout all these changes, ensuring greatness? The Jizrunid Sultan! To deny him their wishes to better their Sultanate, is to deny Al-Andalus its' greatness.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Also, why the gently caress did we go to war as the merchants? That was quite possibly the dumbest idea.

That's what I keep saying, but...

I mean I'd like to defend the Merchants against all this shade being thrown at us but if we can't even be trusted to govern like merchants, then :shrug:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Lmao, good job Merchants.

B – The Majlis, let's depose this tyrant zealot and end his madness once and for all. No doubt one of his brothers or cousins will serve the country better.

GunnerJ posted:

but if we can't even be trusted to govern like merchants, then :shrug:

To be fair starting imperialist wars is totally in character for merchants.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 31, 2017

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Merchants wanted Panama for Vicky2 I guess? We seem to be getting into a situation of most of the other colonial powers being stronger than us. After this mess is resolved we should focus on fixing that.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

If we want that we should colaborate to finally take down our main colonial rival, Morocco. This session would have been terrible for it though, because of that disastrous war, so at least our sultan did one thing right.

Getting Panama would have been pretty nice, too bad it didn't work this time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I stand with The Majlis!

Well, sit really. Counting all this money that I got from all the Trading Posts I had built upon land I own gets really tiring, don't'cha know.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I don't remember what this was in FS.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I don't remember what this was in FS.

This civil war is when the military is going to tell the Sultan and Majlis to go to hell and take over themselves. The Taifas can be the Gerousia!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Morocco is the Merchant's white whale, always trying to kill it, but always fuggling it up while the whale swims away. Also, do they own Ceylon? They have quite the colonial empire in Africa and the Indian Ocean, seeing as they've had no competition.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Morocco is the Merchant's white whale, always trying to kill it, but always fuggling it up while the whale swims away. Also, do they own Ceylon? They have quite the colonial empire in Africa and the Indian Ocean, seeing as they've had no competition.

This is simply untrue. Morocco is the Taifas' white whale, but every time we get close to spearing it the Merchants decide they'd rather sit around doing nothing or launch an insane colonial invasion anywhere else.

We should have smothered Morocco in the cradle, but the Merchants protected them and managed to lose the colonial race on every front to them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've been advocating carving up Morocco and stealing her colonies for ages yeah, but every time we're prepped to do so we change governments and the merchants blow all our money on random crap.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I voted for war with Morocco's colonies, going against the Celts was dumb. And we let the colonies slip through our fingers. :(

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

peh, we get the region with the most gold and still it isnt enough for the merchants and taifa's who lead us to ruin and degredation for the sake of their wallets. still though i must stand with the Majlis for we have had enough rulers with uncheck power to show us why its a bad idea.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This is simply untrue. Morocco is the Taifas' white whale, but every time we get close to spearing it the Merchants decide they'd rather sit around doing nothing or launch an insane colonial invasion anywhere else.

We should have smothered Morocco in the cradle, but the Merchants protected them and managed to lose the colonial race on every front to them.

All I know is it's the merchants fault, which is something we can agree on.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Soup du Jour posted:

B. I have a feeling that we'll regret the vote regardless of which way it winds up, but it's been clear for a while something's got to give and it might as well be in our greedy, corrupt, incompetent favor.

This seems pretty likely, but it is what it is. I stand with the Majlis.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Regardless of whoever is at fault here, we really won't be able to attack Morocco without cooperation between the major parties. At this point they're going to be the biggest colonial power in the world and we will have to settle for Central America in the best case scenario.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Before the Fitna started, my plan was to join either the Taifas or the Merchants after the Sultan died and start proposing acts to take Morocco's South African/Asian bits, we really can't let them go unopposed across half the planet. But now it looks like we're gonna spend the next few decades rather sidetracked.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
B. I stand with the Majlis.. While the Majlis hasn't always made the wisest of decisions, giving absolute power to this madman would be, well, madness.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Aw gently caress it, thinking some more I want to switch to the Majlis.

Accelerationism's obviously not gonna work at this point, so I might as well add more strength to the winning side and end this quick. Just gonna have to find some other way to get our own Revolution going. Or make up for it in Victoria and become a frothing communist, I guess.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's funny how every time the Merchants are in charge and don't pass one of my proposals we end up getting screwed.
:thunk:

But seriously lets get ourselves a Muslim Magna Carta.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I said we should let the Sultan have his power, to do as he wishes and prove his mettle. It is obvious now that he is nothing more than a false leader! A corrupt man who would see Andalus brought to ruin for his own personal desires. He has the greed of the merchants, the arrogance of the taifas, and the fanaticism of the ulema. It is obvious that no one man, or group, can lead Andalus and bring to her prosperity and victory. It is only with the national unity that the Majlis represents that Andalus will be great.

I Unwant 'ad Plat al-pus side with the Majlis!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This civil war is when the military is going to tell the Sultan and Majlis to go to hell and take over themselves. The Taifas can be the Gerousia!

And then the Ulemas invite the pope because why the gently caress not.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

And then the Ulemas invite the pope because why the gently caress not.

The only way to get TRUE religious purity, is to use someone who doesn't believe in the religion!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Ironically enough, my crushing defeat at the hands of the law speaker helped get me interested in rap/poetry

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rodyle posted:

I've been advocating carving up Morocco and stealing her colonies for ages yeah, but every time we're prepped to do so we change governments and the merchants blow all our money on random crap.

We're currently poised to lead the Industrial Revolution according to that event that fired for us, but OK.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Made in Al-Andalus was a very good investment, but even I, a long-term usually-Merchant, will admit we've done pretty poo poo in some notable other cases. Like, every single time we try to start a war against Morocco/France.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I get that. And I get why the Taifas complained so much about the last change in ruling faction. I mean I've been playing Merchants from the start and I see the other side of this: Merchants get enough members to rule, and then they start doing things they're not well suited to, like wars of conquest. But these new members come from some other factions in order to start wars as merchants. Here it's especially baffling: if you wanted to go to war with Morocco or whoever, why not just stick with the Taifas? That'd have been fine. There's no point in having a ruling majority if you're going to squander it doing poo poo that your new ruling faction isn't suited for and your old ruling faction was.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 31, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The Taifas were too busy fighting wars with France to deal with Morocco, when they were in power. They even made stupid statements like "we should force France to release Castille and other states! This is surely the way to weaken France the most!" Instead of, you know, securing the Pyrenees. That definitely needed some intervention.

And all the while, Dansar Rabb al'Ustul, always a strong proponent of war with morocco, who even put up a proposal for war, gets ignored in the Majlis, and now called a weak-willed incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Aw gently caress it, thinking some more I want to switch to the Majlis.

Accelerationism's obviously not gonna work at this point, so I might as well add more strength to the winning side and end this quick. Just gonna have to find some other way to get our own Revolution going. Or make up for it in Victoria and become a frothing communist, I guess.

Hey, I don't think it's likely to work either, but we have to at least try! Do you really want the revolution to spawn in France like in real life? We would get crushed... unless we go revolutionary first!