Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

holy poo poo, niiiiiiice

I've inherited/stolen (not like any of my relatives wanted them anyway) some old records from the 60s-80s. They sound old as poo poo, but I just saw this thing on Techmoan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW7xkQ8pN6M. Is this thing legit? Does it damage records? I think he said it costs around 20 pounds, so it'll probably be around $30-40 in real money. More than I want to spend on a product that may/may not work. Your thoughts?

e: holy poo poo it's $60.
It's just the same as every other velvet record cleaning brush, but they put it on a rotating stick. They do work on dirty records, but get a cheaper version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Any brand recs or are they all basically the same?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I made the mistake of watching a few record cleaning videos a while back. Now 60% of my Youtube suggestions are record cleaning videos

My unscientific conclusion: there are roughly 2 methods of cleaning records for every 1 record ever produced

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Really, don't bother buying anything.

JehovahsWetness posted:

best bang for your buck is just the super simple alcohol solution: %25 isopropyl alcohol (91%), %75 water (distilled if you're on the spectrum), and like one or two drops of dish soap to act as a surfactant. Apply w/ a spray or squeeze bottle, rub circularly with microfibre cloth, repeat a couple of times, let air dry for like 30 seconds.

Seriously, that's as good as you need for as much as you should care about it right now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I ordered this earlier in the week. Ships in late September.

The Electric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue 40th Anniversary double picture disc.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Radio Spiricom posted:

i bought a ton of crap and took bad pictures of all of it and uploaded some without rotating but im too lazy to do it again so here are the ones that uploaded correctly

wolf eyes gently caress the old miami (hand etched/needle destroying b side)
james ferraro on air underwater peoples pressing
yellow swans/axolotl/gerritt
grouper the man who died in his boat
stellar om source trilogy select

up close because i didnt know this was red splatter

both volumes of rashad becker's traditional music of notional species & pans mono no aware comp which i bought last week but didnt know was a first pressing til i opened it today

and perhaps most importantly i picked this up for 50 cents

How much was On Air?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

it was priced for $25 sealed but the seller knocked $15 off the entire purchase (most of the stuff pictured plus and minus a few) when the total came out over $100

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

JehovahsWetness posted:

Really, don't bother buying anything.

Seriously, that's as good as you need for as much as you should care about it right now.

I don't have any microfiber cloths. Would a chunk from an old t-shirt work?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Radio Spiricom posted:

and perhaps most importantly i picked this up for 50 cents

I'm not sure I believe you. Everyone knows this great collection is not sold in stores.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't have any microfiber cloths. Would a chunk from an old t-shirt work?

You're just going to swish all the dust around. The solution us good but you really need to vacuum it out afterwards.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey! Listen! Here's a download code for Classixx - Faraway Reach since I snagged Holly Herndon several posts ago.

RGDYW9D9V7

Go to https://www.innovativeleisure.net/dropcards to redeem.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Hey! Listen! Here's a download code for Classixx - Faraway Reach since I snagged Holly Herndon several posts ago.

RGDYW9D9V7

Go to https://www.innovativeleisure.net/dropcards to redeem.

I grabbed this, thank you so much! I got to see Classixx in SF and it was an incredible show.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Got some download cards too

Marvin Gaye Vol 1 - From Soulful Moods up to the Nat King Cole tribute

Marvin Gaye Vol 2 - From Moods of Marvin Gaye up to That's the Way Love Is

Marvin Gaye Vol 3 - From What's Going On? up to Midnight Love

Those box sets include the duet albums too.

Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live Twice

Future Islands - Far Field

Pretty sure this one is Tuxedo 2 by Tuxedo

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
This came in today, as far as I know these bleeps and bloops have not been included in any video game or movie.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
here are some codes from the last crop of things i got

Shannon & the Clams - Gone by the Dawn

http://www.subpop.com/download_code

7rsvws2fyqce

Meat Wave - The Incessant

http://www.dropcards.com/vinyl

3FT6TH6X3G

Chastity Belt - I Used To Spend So Much Time Alone

http://www.hardly-art.com/download_code

emex7jdun6me

Agent Blå - Agent Blue

http://www.dropcards.com/agentbla

F765KG6Y9V

Aye Nako - Silver Haze

http://www.dongiovannirecords.com/downloads

E8YV98787E

Aby Ngana Diop - Liital

http://www.bwscd.com/digital

ATFA010LP.2NLRQWK

Taiwan Housing Project - Veblen Death Mask

http://killrockstars.bandcamp.com/yum

6vb5-3asg

Woe - Hope Attrition

http://vendetta-records.bandcamp.com/yum

w67z-ek7N

Fela Kuti - Expensive poo poo

http://www.dropcards.com/knittingfactoryrecords

9VTGMYXT7H

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Grabbed the Woe album, thanks!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So this surprised me in the mail today.

Really like that he signed an extra sleeve that I can get framed and still have the other one on my shelf. :)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
drat.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
"Signed"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

drat

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

his signature looks like a stray pube

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It's a cool package and yeah it is nice that he signs the extra sleeve. Just sucks that he could make a pretty sweet signature with his name but puts in such a lazy effort.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Schremp Howard posted:

It's a cool package and yeah it is nice that he signs the extra sleeve. Just sucks that he could make a pretty sweet signature with his name but puts in such a lazy effort.

Eh, mine is almost that bad and I don't have to sign thousands. :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

On the other hand he doesn't owe any of his fans poo poo and isn't required to sign anything for anyone.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
speaking of signing poo poo what do you guys do when you buy records at shows. do you just stand there holding it the rest of the show? put it in coat check?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CPL593H posted:

On the other hand he doesn't owe any of his fans poo poo and isn't required to sign anything for anyone.

You know I thought he charged a whole lot more for the signed version but it looks like it was only $35, and the standard issue retails for about $30. At that difference it isn't bad, I thought he wanted $60 for that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

SeXReX posted:

speaking of signing poo poo what do you guys do when you buy records at shows. do you just stand there holding it the rest of the show? put it in coat check?

buy merch after the show ideally, but i've definitely checked records at coat check before and it's gone ok

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

SeXReX posted:

I get there early enough (I'm short, I overreact, I'm usually first in line) to rush the merch table and the front of the stage, putting my stuff behind the barrier. Unless it's limited edition, I don't think I've ever had a problem picking up records after the show, though. These days I'm mostly grabbing limited edition posters.

Should do a tour poster thread like how CineD has a poster thread.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

caligulamprey posted:

I get there early enough (I'm short, I overreact, I'm usually first in line) to rush the merch table and the front of the stage, putting my stuff behind the barrier. Unless it's limited edition, I don't think I've ever had a problem picking up records after the show, though. These days I'm mostly grabbing limited edition posters.

Should do a tour poster thread like how CineD has a poster thread.

Last concert I was at the band announced they would be signing at the table after the show, and easily one quarter of the room went to bum rush the table and camp for a spot. Which was fine with me because that place was way too crowded.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 4, 2017

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I always wait until after the show. Unless the band(s) need to move on quickly for some reason, they'll usually hang out for awhile afterward. The rare times I've bought something before or during a show, I've asked them to hang onto it and the bands have been cool about it. May not work with a big band, but smaller bands seem to be accommodating most of the time.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

SeXReX posted:

Usually hold it awkwardly. But at numerous shows I've asked the merch booth if they can just hold it for me in a bag I write my name on until after the show and they're always "fine, but we won't take responsibility if it gets stolen" but that has never happened.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Got some codes I don't need because of Amazon's free download dealio. Reap the rewards of prog rock and a human drum machine!

Deantoni Parks - Technoself

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Monolith of Phobos

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Lime and Limpid Green

ferns
Aug 1, 2017

a false posted:

here are some codes from the last crop of things i got

Meat Wave - The Incessant

http://www.dropcards.com/vinyl

3FT6TH6X3G

I went ahead and took the Meat Wave, thank you!

edit: oops didn't realize it was already taken before posting that, very cool

ferns fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 4, 2017

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abraham linksys posted:

buy merch after the show ideally, but i've definitely checked records at coat check before and it's gone ok

I once asked the booth lady to hide away a poster I bought at the beginning of the show under the booth. she was super cool about it and understood that I shouldn't take a poster into a show with me. She did say she had to fend off multiple bidders who went into the triple figures for it.

I'm pretty lucky.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Decided to pop into my local shop on the whim and picked up some neat things.

Got the RSD release of The Andromeda Strain soundtrack. Paid a bit more than I’d like for it but it’s really cool and the music rules.

Found this neato thing called “Music for Robots” which I’ve never heard of before but it looks good. Haven’t listened to it yet but I look forward.

Grabbed volume 1 and 2 of “Musiques Electroniques en France, 1974-1984

Finally got the soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in the West. Love the movie so I figured why the hell not.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
One thing that's nice about moving to a relativel small town (Oshkosh, WI) is that while the record stores have 99% poo poo selection, the actual good stuff remains not picked over. Grabbed an Evelyn Champagne King 12" for $0.10, 70s Vangelis for $1, Gap Band III for $2 (not a great deal but whatever), and Sade's Promise and Diamond Life for $4 total.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh this is cool. Music for Robots sounds like music from Space Mountain. I can dig that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mike_V posted:

One thing that's nice about moving to a relativel small town (Oshkosh, WI) is that while the record stores have 99% poo poo selection, the actual good stuff remains not picked over. Grabbed an Evelyn Champagne King 12" for $0.10, 70s Vangelis for $1, Gap Band III for $2 (not a great deal but whatever), and Sade's Promise and Diamond Life for $4 total.

I had that situation for about a year. Decent prog stuff in great shape and quite cheap (Yessongs for $9).

That has ended, though. On my last trip to the shop, the best thing I found was a 1980s compilation album for Barclay James Harvest. Being in a quite rural area, I don't know of another decent shop within three hours' drive.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

download code for whoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Did anyone here pick up that David Bowie/ NIN bootleg that came out fairly recently? I'm wondering what the sound quality is like on that.