Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Throwing a vote in for the airship as the best nonspace 1% area; it's central, it's compact, it has an activities npc, the hissing got patched out ages ago, you can just glide off for krytan vista and forager dailies, it's pretty handy
E: it's not in a city so doesn't take an age to load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Trying to get back into this game, and hoping for some advice.

I got a level 80 mesmer and level 80 revenant, both in poo poo gear, and I am leveling a warrior now just to get back into the game. This time I would really like to do some end level stuff for once, like raids and fractals. From what I gather, revenant is rubish at both, so I am going with the mesmer. However, I have no idea how to get good enough (stat cap'ed?) gear and how to get enough masteries to unlock chronomancer. I know there are hero point trains, but I am not sure where I go to get on them. I think I read on qtfy that I need berserker for everything and commander for feet, how do I ensure I get these suffixes? As well as the sigils and other stuff like backpacks. Mesmer also seems really hard to play, how hard will I gently caress up the raids/fractals when I mess up the rotation?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Acidian posted:

Trying to get back into this game, and hoping for some advice.

I got a level 80 mesmer and level 80 revenant, both in poo poo gear, and I am leveling a warrior now just to get back into the game. This time I would really like to do some end level stuff for once, like raids and fractals. From what I gather, revenant is rubish at both, so I am going with the mesmer. However, I have no idea how to get good enough (stat cap'ed?) gear and how to get enough masteries to unlock chronomancer. I know there are hero point trains, but I am not sure where I go to get on them. I think I read on qtfy that I need berserker for everything and commander for feet, how do I ensure I get these suffixes? As well as the sigils and other stuff like backpacks. Mesmer also seems really hard to play, how hard will I gently caress up the raids/fractals when I mess up the rotation?

Rev is fine for fractals (fractals in general aren't a big deal, difficulty-wise), but if you're looking at raids then yea, mesmer's more useful there.

For ascended gear, you'll need to craft it or have it drop from fractals. You can buy it from a few vendors but most of them still require a currency you need to craft.

GOON sometimes runs hero trains on Tuesdays but if you go to Verdant Brink you can often find other commander tags running them as well.

In general though it sounds like you need to explore a couple wiki pages since you don't know much about the gear:

Ascended Armor
Ascended Trinkets (these are way easier to acquire than the armor/weapons)

Keep in mind for a lot of the fractal progression, you don't even need a lot of ascended gear (you really only need it because of the Agony mechanic, not so much the stats) and can get by perfectly fine with Exotic (orange) gear, which is readily available from a bunch of different vendors or the trading post.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 30, 2017

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I need 12 more pvp wins to finish the drat legendary back thingie, but i haven't been able to force myself to pvp in like three seasons. What's a solid low effort build that does well currently? I wanna get this done so i can move on to the new sword.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

This is a pretty good guide for starting fractals and how to gear and build AR as you go. For fractals you can just start with all exotics and work up from there as you raise your level. I would definitely start working the LS3 maps for their currency so you can buy ascended trinkets and not rely totally on drops.

For raids, if you pick mesmer you will be running as the tank outside of chill groups, so make sure that is ok with you. Although condi Mesmer is decent damage and apparently a very easy rotation. So it may be better than it's benchmark.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

lucifirius posted:

I'm basically looking at parts that will last me a while since this will be my big selfish purchase before/after I get married.

GTX1080 is total overkill for a 1080p monitor. If you are serious about it, get a 1440p gsync like the acer predator for main screen and just use a lovely 100 monitor for second screen.

Monitor is second most important after ssd for quality of gw2 life. Like all MMOs, it is easy on GPU and harder on CPU.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

malhavok posted:

I need 12 more pvp wins to finish the drat legendary back thingie, but i haven't been able to force myself to pvp in like three seasons. What's a solid low effort build that does well currently? I wanna get this done so i can move on to the new sword.

Meditrapper Dragonhunter is super easy to play. It's great at getting kills quickly, with decent sustain and support.

Weapons:
Bow: In teamfights, you can zap the primary target with bow 1 and 2, and cc a large area or force dodges with 5. 3 is a knockback (with traits) that can stop a teammate from ressing.
Sword/Focus: (Sword/Shield is also good) - Sword can dish out damage quickly. 2 can be used to teleport short distances, including up most cliffs. Focus gives you a blind (useful for stomping classes like warrior) and a shield that blocks attacks (also useful for stomping and surviving). If you go with shield, it has a knockback that can force people off points, and a bubble that can protect you from range and heal.

Utilities:
-Trap heal is massive if you can get your enemy to trigger it, which is easy since you can drop it on top of them
-Test of Faith, Smite Condition, and Judge's Intervention are all instant cast. Judge's Intervention is also a long range teleport-to-enemy, so you can teleport, mash the rest, swap from bow to sword, then hit your shield, 2, and 3 and clown on most people. Bronze people will usually die instantly, silver people die quickly, but in gold and higher you probably can't just burst them instantly without a bit of setup first. Don't burst on, say, a necro who just went into death shroud, or ele who still has Obsidian Skin available--you don't want to waste your abilities on when they're invincible.
-Smite Condition and Wings of Resolve give you good condi clear.
-Renewed Focus gives you invincibility, and recharges your F1, F2, and F3, which helps you sustain in longer fights and rotate out of team fights.

If you're having survivability issues, consider using Menders amulet instead of Marauders. It will give you huge healing power, and transform your role into much more of a support. Damage is still good enough to be a threat. Also feel free to mess around with the weapon sigils. I've just found that combo works well for me.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks, good deal!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Erdricks posted:

GTX1080 is total overkill for a 1080p monitor. If you are serious about it, get a 1440p gsync like the acer predator for main screen and just use a lovely 100 monitor for second screen.

Monitor is second most important after ssd for quality of gw2 life. Like all MMOs, it is easy on GPU and harder on CPU.

Erdricks posted:

What monitors outside the Predator do you suggest? It's out of my price range by a few hundred...

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Thank you goon sirs for your help. I think I will work towards crafting my own gear. Do you know any good websites with efficient and up to date crafting guides? I am worried the ones on google will cost me more mats than I need to.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

lucifirius posted:

What monitors outside the Predator do you suggest? It's out of my price range by a few hundred...

If you can't afford Predator you might go for Primordus Rifle since it's got the same fire theme, or a pact shotgun for more of an embellished rifle look, all of which are way cheaper than the 2900g that the legendary will cost you.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Acidian posted:

Thank you goon sirs for your help. I think I will work towards crafting my own gear. Do you know any good websites with efficient and up to date crafting guides? I am worried the ones on google will cost me more mats than I need to.

I used http://gw2crafts.net/ when I was grinding everything but scribing out. Don't know if it's still popular or not, but it tracks mat costs on the AH and makes suggestions from there.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Uranium Phoenix posted:

If you can't afford Predator you might go for Primordus Rifle since it's got the same fire theme, or a pact shotgun for more of an embellished rifle look, all of which are way cheaper than the 2900g that the legendary will cost you.

This game has conditioned you so much that you read "the predator" and disregard that they were talking about computer monitors. I am worried about you, friend :ohdear:

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Sole.Sushi posted:

This game has conditioned you so much that you read "the predator" and disregard that they were talking about computer monitors. I am worried about you, friend :ohdear:

------the joke--->
(you)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tactius doesn't usually "get" "jokes"

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Important note for you guys who are trying to get the Legendary Trinket: you need 21 Lumps of Mithrillium, which are time-gated to once a day. Start crafting them now.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

I would recommend going down to a gtx 1070 and re allocating the cash to a monitor. You are wasting your money going for the gtx 1080 without having a monitor of similar capability. Furthermore, you are going to get more bang for your buck by stepping up to a high end monitor, particularly given the incredible lifespan of such monitor.

Alternatively, feel free to just send me your money and/or set it on fire.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Took a break from GW2 around October-November last year, and figured I'd log back in and at least complete the legendary armor (all those are out by now, right?). I skimmed the update notes and it seems that most classes haven't seen too big changes in terms of builds for endgame PvE? With the Warrior banner change, are most raid groups still running double warr, or is one enough now? Also, I've heard rumors of DPS meters getting much more sophisticated and widespread, I suppose this has lead to raid pugging becoming even more toxic? With no guild I'm not sure I even want to try the new raid if I risk getting shouted at/kicked if my rotations are less than perfect. Finally, there's a legendary trinket now? Any other gear progression stuff where I'm likely to be behind?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You cannot be "behind" in gear in GW2, how did you not learn that?! Haven't heard of DPS meters being anymore of a thing than before, but pugging always has been toxic. As for raiding, SFD has I think 3? 4? raid groups going, you're very welcome to join us.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also more importantly, the model for Orrian Oysters is actually a little trio of scallops. This cannot be allowed to stand.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You cannot be "behind" in gear in GW2, how did you not learn that?! Haven't heard of DPS meters being anymore of a thing than before, but pugging always has been toxic. As for raiding, SFD has I think 3? 4? raid groups going, you're very welcome to join us.

Yeah yeah, I just meant that if, hypothetically, I had a compulsion to have the highest rarity possible in every single slot, would there be anything else I might want to acquire? And as much as I'd like to join SFD, I'm on EU and have invested far too much time and money to start anew on US.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

Yeah yeah, I just meant that if, hypothetically, I had a compulsion to have the highest rarity possible in every single slot, would there be anything else I might want to acquire? And as much as I'd like to join SFD, I'm on EU and have invested far too much time and money to start anew on US.

Fair enough. There are legendary backpacks, armour, trinkets, and armour now, so yeah you got it go hog wild but holy cow you're crazy because that's a lot of grinding haha

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fair enough. There are legendary backpacks, armour, trinkets, and armour now, so yeah you got it go hog wild but holy cow you're crazy because that's a lot of grinding haha

I haven't been gone that long, the trinkets and armor are all I'm missing then, and I should have most mats for the armor done. I have 13 full ascended gear sets, two bank tabs of extra ascended gear, 5 chars with 150AR IIRC, I don't mind grinding.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

I have 13 full ascended gear sets, two bank tabs of extra ascended gear, 5 chars with 150AR IIRC

:stare::stare::stare:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Are you really surprised that goons are going to grind in an MMO? Most people I've played with have way more stuff than me, I only have three legendaries for example, and only one char with full +stat infusions maxed.

Fuzzy Butt
Jan 8, 2009

(not a furry)

tyblazitar posted:

Pretty sure you can transfer your EU account on over to NA for the low low price of :20bux: !!!What Savings!!! The Goon community is great in this game and SFD has so many great events. You're really missing out.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Fuzzy Butt posted:

Pretty sure you can transfer your EU account on over to NA for the low low price of :20bux: !!!What Savings!!! The Goon community is great in this game and SFD has so many great events. You're really missing out.

Oh yeah, I guess that's an option. I'll consider that, as it looks like my previous guilds are all dead.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Uranium Phoenix posted:

------the joke--->
(you)

:thejoke:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

tyblazitar posted:

I'm on EU (Gandara) as well and my guild is fairly active if you want somewhere to hang out and not transfer to NA servers. There's a lot of crazy europeans, though.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

tyblazitar posted:

I skimmed the update notes and it seems that most classes haven't seen too big changes in terms of builds for endgame PvE? With the Warrior banner change, are most raid groups still running double warr, or is one enough now?

Double Warrior is still meta because their might generation and Empower Allies are only 5 targets, but the banner change makes it easier to get extra damage or CC. You can use other might bot builds but Warrior is strong otherwise so it's hard to beat.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Double Warrior is still meta because their might generation and Empower Allies are only 5 targets, but the banner change makes it easier to get extra damage or CC. You can use other might bot builds but Warrior is strong otherwise so it's hard to beat.

I have seen groups run one warrior with both banners and a might stacking scepter tempest for the slot where the second warrior used to be. Idk where that fits into the meta, if at all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

Are you really surprised that goons are going to grind in an MMO? Most people I've played with have way more stuff than me, I only have three legendaries for example, and only one char with full +stat infusions maxed.

Sure goons will grind, doesn't make it not :stare: And that's definitely the most ascended/AR stuff I've ever seen, among the people I've played with over the last 5 years, that's for sure

e: "only" 3 legendaries lmao

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also more importantly, the model for Orrian Oysters is actually a little trio of scallops. This cannot be allowed to stand.

We may have the three seashells, but at least the Sirens of Orr aren't singing ad jingles.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sure goons will grind, doesn't make it not :stare: And that's definitely the most ascended/AR stuff I've ever seen, among the people I've played with over the last 5 years, that's for sure

e: "only" 3 legendaries lmao

I have 21 legendaries

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

I have 21 legendaries

buy me the hammer and i'll kiss you three (3) times

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Because Arus is Swiss.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Erdricks posted:

I have seen groups run one warrior with both banners and a might stacking scepter tempest for the slot where the second warrior used to be. Idk where that fits into the meta, if at all.

It's technically a higher DPS setup, but it hasn't become meta because the double warrior is more flexible in terms of CC utility and both qT and the pug public have accepted 5-5 mirror comp as the best and most convenient over this minor DPS boost.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
BGDM is possibly not gonna exist anymore https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6q8br5/help_bgdm_looking_for_successor/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't even know what that is, and that link doesn't help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

That's my problem. I haven't seriously played the game for years, but I've tried to get back into it half a dozen times (including getting the first expansion). But every time I log in I'm so overwhelmed by all of the content and the crazy gear everyone around me has, so I log off and uninstall.

I'm open to advice for how to handle this because I do like the game!

This is just such an alien perspective to me. Having "too much to do" or "too many options" causing you to stop playing.
What games do you play,? Checkers? Tic-tac-toe? Rock-paper-scissors?

[Edit] Like, you are aware that in most games people pay money for more content, right?

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 31, 2017

• Locked thread