Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It doesn't matter if it's $20 cheaper than the 1080 for 1080 performance if it sucks down 375 loving watts of power to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Kazinsal posted:

It doesn't matter if it's $20 cheaper than the 1080 for 1080 performance if it sucks down 375 loving watts of power to do that.

Considering that it's what, 14 months late now?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
From what I can tell the holocube is some kind of desktop notification accessory

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ got the RX Vega slides

TDP is slightly lower than the FE cards, presumably just because there's less memory to power. Vega56 take a hit to memory bandwidth because they're using plain 800mhz HBM2 rather than the binned and overclocked HBM2 the 64CU variants get.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

OK, the Vega 10 XL is obviously a cut down version but is there supposed to be actual physical differences, beyond the memory, between the Vega 10 XTX and the Vega 10 GLXTX?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Huh, RX Vega 56 is claimed 210W? That's actually not insane if it can keep decent performance uplift over Fury X. Also AMD is claiming parity with the 1080 using RX Vega 64 reference blower design, interesting.

Also, lol, 16GB to 8GB HBM2 saves AMD around 30W it seems, they're running it wildly out of spec. Proper HBM2 likely wouldn't save Vega but it'd sure make the card look less insane.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Drakhoran posted:

OK, the Vega 10 XL is obviously a cut down version but is there supposed to be actual physical differences, beyond the memory, between the Vega 10 XTX and the Vega 10 GLXTX?

GL in an AMD codename just means it's the professional variant. There's probably no physical difference, other than having a different device ID so the pro drivers can check if you paid the Pro Tax and refuse to work otherwise.

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 31, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Huh, RX Vega 56 is claimed 210W? That's actually not insane if it can keep decent performance uplift over Fury X. Also AMD is claiming parity with the 1080 using RX Vega 64 reference blower design, interesting.

That's not really a good thing on a power-limited card. Vega draws what it draws, the only thing you're doing by tightening the power limit is throttling performance.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's not really a good thing on a power-limited card. Vega draws what it draws, the only thing you're doing by tightening the power limit is throttling performance.

Don't know if Vega 56 is power limited at all, again this is a really dumb waiting game to see mediocre performance but I'm in the market for my dumb monitor and the 290X is getting long in the tooth for this resolution. It's not going to be some impulse buy though, I've waited this drat long.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Don Lapre posted:

From what I can tell the holocube is some kind of desktop notification accessory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twkZz5WyVJs&t=144s

2:24 if on mobile

Yup, pretty much.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
As per Dr Dorks suggestion I'm exploring using case fans for my 1080ti. This is at best a very early mockup but its passing with flying colors already. Since I didn't have the appropriate fan cable adapter I just plugged these into a system fan and set it at 1000 rpm, which is a barely audible fan speed even with this open air test bench of sorts directly behind my monitor.

Even though they aren't mounted flush and are set at the inaudible 1000 rpm (which is 45% for these fans)I'm still getting roughly the same temperatures (high 60's). After taking a look at the factory heatsink I dont see any simple way to mount something like this without modifications that I'm not interested in doing at all for resale purposes. So I believe I'm going to attach an L bracket to the bottom of the case and mount the fans to that instead. While that can't be ideal for cooling having a gap there, these fans move so much more air near silently I don't think its going to matter and this allows me to have the ability to quickly reattach the factory fans and shroud if need be. Also waiting on a PWM fan cable adapter so I can create a nice software curve.

A bonus I've noticed is there is a distinct cool breeze flowing around my monitor now :)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:ninja: https://www.pscp.tv/OptimistechR/1DXxyOnkQQbGM :ninja:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
how long until amd murders him irl

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

omg

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Why are they not streaming this themselves? It's much better than the last stream.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
take a shot every time someone says 'incredible'

you'll need it

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Measly Twerp posted:

Why are they not streaming this themselves? It's much better than the last stream.

Well, you see...

edit: the agents found him

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 31, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11680/radeon-rx-vega-unveiled-amd-announecs-499-rx-vega-64-399-rx-vega-56-launching-in-august

Anandtech posted:

Speaking of Fiji, there’s been some question over whether the already shipping Vega FE cards had AMD’s Draw Steam Binning Rasterizer enabled, which is one of the Vega architecture’s new features. The short answer is that no, the DSBR is not enabled in Vega FE’s current drivers. Whereas we have been told to expect it with the RX Vega launch. AMD is being careful not to make too many promises here – the performance and power impact of the DSBR vary wildly with the software used – but it means that the RX Vega will have a bit more going on than the Vega FE at launch.

There's hope for a boost to gaming performance then, but AMD directly comparing it to the GTX1080 in their slides doesn't inspire confidence that it will be a large boost.

e: new pirate feed https://www.pscp.tv/OptimistechR/1djGXLmbXaNGZ

repiv fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 31, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Radeon doing $200 off if you buy an RX Vega bundle pack with this really nice 34" FreeSync IPS monitor:

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-34-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor-C34F791/dp/B01M1D7JVO

If there's one thing I want NVidia to try to match AMD on, it'd be that.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Radeon doing $200 off if you buy an RX Vega bundle pack with this really nice 34" FreeSync IPS monitor:

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-34-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor-C34F791/dp/B01M1D7JVO

Yeah thats a good idea for them

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
"Vega is like putting on a pair of glasses for the very first time, you thought you were seeing well but you were not." - Some random game developer dude in an AMD video.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Unfortunately the Freesync implementation of that screen is one of the worst ever released. It's completely unusable and broken.

It's a nice screen enough otherwise though, I've used one in a driving simulation rig and the 1500R curvature is very immersive.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
And the presentation has gone off the rails completely now... Raja seems nice but why do they have him speak for 40+ minutes? He stumbles over every second sentence.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BurritoJustice posted:

Unfortunately the Freesync implementation of that screen is one of the worst ever released. It's completely unusable and broken.

It's a nice screen enough otherwise though, I've used one in a driving simulation rig and the 1500R curvature is very immersive.

poo poo, really? That's really disappointing to hear, I had that down as my monitor to get! Got articles?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So, how will all those limited editions and bundles affect AMD's board partners?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

poo poo, really? That's really disappointing to hear, I had that down as my monitor to get! Got articles?

I don't have a good specific link, but check out the overclock.net CF791 threads if you google it. It uses backlight strobing to get the response times acceptable enough for use, but it doesn't modulate the pulse width with the refresh rate while using freesync so it flickers like mad depending on FPS. There are two settings for freesync in the OSD and one has insane flicker and the other has purple anti-ghosting because the overdrive formula is terrible. If you aren't sensitive to flicker then it might be able to be considered but I'd definitely recommend getting it from somewhere local so you can return it easily.

I'm sure Paul has more info, he's well read on the issues of VA panels.

E: here's a Reddit post with a video, and the comments are full of owners saying it's even worse in person. If you google "CF791 flicker" or "CF791 purple/pink" you'll find loads of threads.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 31, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Armageddon comedy option is they turn on DSBR and the Vega cards are boosted to 30% ahead of the 1070 & 1080 overnight and preempt Volta. The APUs totally cannibalize the lowest tier discrete GPUs but that's okay because they knew the buttminers were going to take them anyway because Raja invented ethereum.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Anyone think Nvidia will cut prices a bit with Vega finally releasing?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

OhFunny posted:

No.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

OhFunny posted:

no

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

OhFunny posted:

They could, but they don't need to. Vega really isn't compelling against the 10x0 series at all unless you've already sunk the cost of a freesync monitor.

It's amazing how much accumulated goodwill AMD has burnt with this launch, the tone of r/AMD is completely different from two months ago.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OhFunny posted:

They don't need to, AMD still doesn't have a product that means diddlysquat, they can just sit there at their current MSRP, and probably will.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Even if you have a freesync monitor, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Vega XL. Twitchy esports titles will get solid 144fps from a 1080/ti anyway, and for your story driven tentpole games like Far Cry or Middle Earth you can loving well put up with vsync lag.

XL looks like an okay enough product that Id consider an OEM cooled one if I could wait and if I didn't have very specific applications where using NVidia is a noticeable quality of life improvement.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 31, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Both the 1070 and 1080 are selling for more than MSRP, and none of the released Vega prices really undercut them at all. Their cards are a) available all over, in lots of variations b) have mature drivers and c) have much more reasonable TDPs. poo poo, even when AMD is near-peer on price/performance, Nvidia still outsells them 4-1, so they have no reason to do anything. At the prices we've seen, I wouldn't recommend Vega except if someone already had a FreeSync panel.

Assuming Volta is nearing prime time, which rumors seem to suggest, the real question for me is whether they continue to ride the gravy train or put the hammer down.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BurritoJustice posted:

I don't have a good specific link, but check out the overclock.net CF791 threads if you google it. It uses backlight strobing to get the response times acceptable enough for use, but it doesn't modulate the pulse width with the refresh rate while using freesync so it flickers like mad depending on FPS. There are two settings for freesync in the OSD and one has insane flicker and the other has purple anti-ghosting because the overdrive formula is terrible. If you aren't sensitive to flicker then it might be able to be considered but I'd definitely recommend getting it from somewhere local so you can return it easily.

I'm sure Paul has more info, he's well read on the issues of VA panels.

E: here's a Reddit post with a video, and the comments are full of owners saying it's even worse in person. If you google "CF791 flicker" or "CF791 purple/pink" you'll find loads of threads.

That's INCREDIBLY disappointing to hear, considering that AMD is offering a $200 discount on Samsung monitors as part of their "Radeon Packs" for Vega. Goddamnit, AMD, get your loving poo poo together.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's INCREDIBLY disappointing to hear, considering that AMD is offering a $200 discount on Samsung monitors as part of their "Radeon Packs" for Vega. Goddamnit, AMD, get your loving poo poo together.

Yeah I was super hyped for the samsung SVA panels after seeing that they managed to get the black-starting transitions to be measurably better compared to AUO's offerings. But jesus christ, 5 seconds of that video gives me a headache. It's like PWM backlight control on über-steroids.

Also, fun discovery today. I was messing around the NVidia control panel and found out that SLI Antialiasing is a thing. It basically offloads sampling work to your second GPU, disabling SLI but allowing greater fidelity at the same render speed as half the AA level. Works for games that don't have SLI support too. Of course, MSAA is not feasible on many modern games but it is a nice consolation prize for games without SLI support. Hearthstone has never looking crisper now that I have SLI 16x and supersampling 16x transparency AA on :v:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

BurritoJustice posted:

Yeah I was super hyped for the samsung SVA panels after seeing that they managed to get the black-starting transitions to be measurably better compared to AUO's offerings. But jesus christ, 5 seconds of that video gives me a headache. It's like PWM backlight control on über-steroids.

Also, fun discovery today. I was messing around the NVidia control panel and found out that SLI Antialiasing is a thing. It basically offloads sampling work to your second GPU, disabling SLI but allowing greater fidelity at the same render speed as half the AA level. Works for games that don't have SLI support too. Of course, MSAA is not feasible on many modern games but it is a nice consolation prize for games without SLI support. Hearthstone has never looking crisper now that I have SLI 16x and supersampling 16x transparency AA on :v:

Gonna have to buy a second 1080Ti now for Quake 2 mods.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So the whole reason AMD didn't stream this event? Because of 20 seconds of behind the scenes Star Wars footage which they were not allowed to share outside of the event. It wasn't particularly impressive for the most part either, basically the footage said look at how much of the background we replaced with CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Measly Twerp posted:

So the whole reason AMD didn't stream this event? Because of 20 seconds of behind the scenes Star Wars footage which they were not allowed to share outside of the event. It wasn't particularly impressive for the most part either, basically the footage said look at how much of the background we replaced with CGI.
:psyboom: