Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, so the Unsullied took the Rock but they're kinda stuck there? They can't just start walking back?

Next episode Grey Worm will try to get Euron's teleportation device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

InFlames235 posted:

Episode owned. Dany getting outmaneuvered hard is a good strategy to keep the tension going.

Oh yeah...what a GREAT way to keep the tension going. Because we've never seen the good guys seemingly struggle to do anything competent while the writers pull the strings to make all that GREAT tension you're referring to happen.

I predict at least two dead dragons by the end of this season, with Rob Snow being raped to death by the Mountain. Oh, Games of Thrones, what will you do next!

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

This is all being set up so that Dany has to go hardass and let lose her Dothraki and dragons on a bitch. She already wants to go burn Euron's fleet personally but her advisers told her not to. With a good chunk of her loyal Essos army in danger she'll do it anyway. Probably without telling the audience first so it can be a ~shocking TV moment~

Dany actually doing something morally grey for once to win would be pretty cool.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, so the Unsullied took the Rock but they're kinda stuck there? They can't just start walking back?

Yeah, I think the implication was that they weren't going to try to retake the Rock but that Euron had essentially forced the Unsullied to march back to Dragonstone over land, which would take weeks if not months.

So expect them to dramatically show up in a few episodes to turn the tide of a battle with no explanation.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

*4 dornish women die*

*dany knocks over the Dorne sigil on her game board*

I'm fairly certain you need more than 4 dornish women to crew an entire fleet of ships.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sydin posted:

Aren't the Tyrell's supposed to have a pretty baller army? So much for that :lol:

Didn't Tarly take most of them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah seemed like a good episode to me. The Dany and Jon stuff worked well, no one was being too dumb, they all had logical points and reached a logical conclusion. Emilia Clarke even had a long speech where she didn't embarrass herself.

Who put Bran on Xanax though?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I like that the show put in a lot of effort showing us how the bad guys think Dany's army are undisciplined savages, and then immediately turned around and proved them right

The great white hope, Euron Greyjoy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Barreft posted:

Didn't Tarly take most of them?

That...That's not how feudalism works

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The initial Dany/Jon conversation went too long w. same back and forth, and the sand snake dungeon thing was way too long, they cut to the same shot of the woman freaking out about 400 times. Otherwise, I think they got some stuff done.

Brans a loving weirdo though, why bring that poo poo up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PostNouveau posted:

Who put Bran on Xanax though?

"I'm the Three-Eyed Raven"
"What does that mean?"
"It's complicated."
"Try, for me."
"Well I did see you get raped, it was kinda beautiful that night actually-"
"WELP GOTTA GO."

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Healthy young child goes to Maester, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

"Bran what happened to Hodor?"
"He had to hold the door"
"Bran you're loving with me right?"
"I remember seeing you in your wedding dress....."

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Euron owns, jorah sam scene owns. I guess I'm just frustrated with how rushed everything seems to be and how hastily they're closing plot lines. I figured the Tyrells would have at least something, since they had a bunch of ships with Dany at the end of season 6.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

That...That's not how feudalism works

It kind of is though? The soldiers are loyal to/owned by house Tarly and go whereever their lord tells them to go.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Supreme Allah posted:

Dude spent half his adolescence on the internet

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

The initial Dany/Jon conversation went too long w. same back and forth, and the sand snake dungeon thing was way too long, they cut to the same shot of the woman freaking out about 400 times. Otherwise, I think they got some stuff done.

Yeah, that was a dumb conversation that went in circles and included a weird detour where Dany brings up her experiences of getting raped.

Yeah and Bran hasn't seen his sister in years and the first thing he wants to talk about is how he watched her getting raped this one time.

I see D&D are still translating the books as faithfully as possible.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

ATP_Power posted:

Healthy young child goes to Maester, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!

Westeros cannot allow GREYSCALE infected people back. People that go to far away places to help out are great-but must suffer the consequences!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, that was a dumb conversation that went in circles and included a weird detour where Dany brings up her experiences of getting raped.

When Bran meets up with her he can regale everyone of her rape story as well.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I don't understand the Casterly Rock plan at all. Like if Euron's fleet was there the whole time why not just sink the Unsullied before they land? Also how was Euron able to get there so fast ah gently caress it

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
This season is to coherent timelines what Donald Trump is to American politics.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqgi1IjDoU8 episode 4 preview

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Again, this is the second week in a row that Euron's actor fails to hold up to his claim that everyone will hate Euron more than Ramsay.

I. loving. LOVE. EURON

He is the only one aware of how cheesy this show has become and hams it up to eleven in every scene he is in and spends his offscreen time teleporting around and loving up 6 years of "she is coming guys, she is definitely coming now" build up for the tears and rage of nerds everywhere while killing off the overflowing cast of characters no one gives a crap about.

TEAM EURON.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also, man, Tyrion is still being a dumbass about using the dragons. Dany was totally right about just unleashing them on Euron's fleet.

I mean, she showed up in Westeros with an overwhelming force and undefeatable dragons, and Tyrion has pissed away all that. At this point, she should suspect him for a double agent.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheRat posted:

It kind of is though? The soldiers are loyal to/owned by house Tarly and go whereever their lord tells them to go.

Yeah but Tarly can't just tell the lord/soldiers sworn to House Tyrell what to do. Tarly is just one of many houses sworn to the Tyrells. Tarly only commands those directly sworn to Tarly and any houses under Tarly. But I'm probably putting more thought into this than the writers did so nevermind.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HannibalBarca posted:

I don't understand the Casterly Rock plan at all. Like if Euron's fleet was there the whole time why not just sink the Unsullied before they land? Also how was Euron able to get there so fast ah gently caress it

I don't even get why Tyrion wanted to take it in the first place. His explanation last episode felt really dumb, "it'll undermine their authority and show how weak Cersei is" as if everybody didn't already realize that, since we'd just had a big scene explaining how she had no allies. Just storm King's Landing you idiots.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sydin posted:

"What does that mean?"
"It's complicated."
"Try, for me."
"WELP GOTTA GO."

The writers do love filling in the blanks with rape when they don't know what to write.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So p.much the whole point of the last two episodes was Danny loving up to drive her to need Jon. Great writing guys. :rolleyes:

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah but Tarly can't just tell the lord/soldiers sworn to House Tyrell what to do. Tarly is just one of many houses sworn to the Tyrells. Tarly only commands those directly sworn to Tarly and any houses under Tarly. But I'm probably putting more thought into this than the writers did so nevermind.

This is the same show where everyone in Dorne seemed to be cool with a concubine and three bastard women killing their Prince

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Also they demonstrate why castles are hard to take literally 3 minutes before the Lannister army walks across an open field and into a castle practically uncontested lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

There aren't any Tyrells left in the show besides grandma who wed into the family. I'm sure most went with Tarly since he still had an intact house and is a good leader.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also I love how D&D's sense of character growth and becoming a badass is losing the ability to emulate any semblance of human emotions and just be the Terminator.

Daenerys, Arya and now Bran.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Also I love how D&D's sense of character growth and becoming a badass is losing the ability to emulate any semblance of human emotions and just be the Terminator.

Daenerys, Arya and now Bran.
Famed unemotional characters Danerys Targaryen and Arya Stark yeah what are you talking about

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Again, this is the second week in a row that Euron's actor fails to hold up to his claim that everyone will hate Euron more than Ramsay.

I. loving. LOVE. EURON

He is the only one aware of how cheesy this show has become and hams it up to eleven in every scene he is in and spends his offscreen time teleporting around and loving up 6 years of "she is coming guys, she is definitely coming now" build up for the tears and rage of nerds everywhere while killing off the overflowing cast of characters no one gives a crap about.

TEAM EURON.

he knocked the Sand Snake titties out of this season the monster.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Sydin posted:

"What does that mean?"
"It's complicated."
"Try, for me."
"WELP GOTTA GO."

"I thought you were the three eyed raven"
"It's actually more of a title, there was one before me but now I'm the new one."
"Oh that's actually really straightforward and easy to understand"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It was really, really weird to see Littlefinger rant about the I Ching or whatever right before Bran showed back up. Is he a loving telepath or something??

The military stuff is played very quickly, as usual. A brief shot showing us Tarly had switched sides does a lot of lifting without any other establishing information. I'm not sure if we're supposed to believe that Euron was aboard the fleet that sank the Unsullied's getaway, or if he sent it out ahead. I appreciated the quick explanation of the battle for Casterly Rock, it would have been nice to have some very quick shots like that back in S2 and 3 with Robb's army.

It's interesting that Jon and Dany come off as related but not as romantically attracted to each other, exactly.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

lezard_valeth posted:

I. loving. LOVE. EURON

TEAM EURON.

Like any sane person, I loathed the Sand Snakes. And yet, I felt no joy when Captain Nemo dispatched two of them. I wish I could have fun like you, but this season sucks...and, honestly, Euron sucks too.

HannibalBarca posted:

Who cares, Bro. Look at the post above. TEAM EURON!!! YEAH! HE'S MAKING THE FANBOYS UPSET!!!!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TheLoquid posted:

"I thought you were the three eyed raven"
"It's actually more of a title, there was one before me but now I'm the new one."
"Oh that's actually really straightforward and easy to understand"

What if three eyed raven is actually bran from the future? Not so straight forward afterall :smug:

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

TheRat posted:

What if three eyed raven is actually bran from the future? Not so straight forward afterall :smug:

Please everyone knows Tyrion is the only time traveler in Westeros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Euron owns. Cersei owns. Team Lannister came up the big wins. lol that they played Tyrion like a little bitch and now Dany is down to useless dothraki and 3 dragons.

Riotgrrill posted:

Hey sis wasn't the weather great the night you got raped?

That was loving hilarious.

• Locked thread