Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The same way they cope with people home growing tobacco and lacing it with gasoline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

So, how hosed are Labour this election? Word is they have no money. Rumours of leadership change. If they did change leader they can't afford to reprint the billboards. Certainly in Greymouth I have seen one billboard for Labour compared with about 6 for National in the same area.
Supposedly the MOU with the Green Party is the fault. But no apparent backlash over National having similar deals with Act and Dunne.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There is nobody in New Zealand better at losing elections than Labour.

Blaming the MOU with the Greens is the same poo poo Labour goes through every election. You can't vote Labour because they'll form a government with the Greens who will ruin New Zealand economically! Labour and the Greens are too different ideologically and won't form a stable government! New Zealand First and the Greens don't get on and they country will split apart!
It doesn't work the other way around because Act and United Future aren't actual coalition partners - they are welfare parties that exist only as long as National finds them politically useful. The minute they stop being a de facto National vote with an inflated value is the minute they cease to hold power in any form at all.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Labour seems to have a lot of billboards in chch, I am seeing about 4-1 labour/greens vs national around here.

Anyone seen a NZ First one in the wild?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

xiw posted:

Labour seems to have a lot of billboards in chch, I am seeing about 4-1 labour/greens vs national around here.

Anyone seen a NZ First one in the wild?

Not yet but Winston did pop into the local RSA and pinned a pamphlet on to the notice board.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
computer, do a search for 'why doesn't labour win'

exmarx posted:

If they still can't manage to articulate an alternative vision for the country a formalised coalition isn't worth poo poo

exmarx posted:

It's dumb to blame Andrew Little as an individual when Labour's problem is still that they've failed to articulate an alternative vision for the country.

Also English is the first List MP Prime Minister

exmarx posted:

Labour needs to articulate an attractive vision of the future. My worry is they'll rest on their laurels and assume it's their 'turn' now that national's biggest asset is gone.

exmarx posted:

Yeah if Ardern was leader they'd just flip to "but what has she actually accomplished?" immediately.

Labour just needs to articulate a good, simple vision for the future, and not gently caress up (lol)

exmarx posted:

I'm going to vote, as presumably is swampman, because for whatever reason we follow New Zealand politics and post about them on line. Outside of election year, even!

Most people don't, and it's the responsibility of political parties to put forward policies that people will vote for. Getting out the vote is harder for parties on the left, because their voter base tends to be structurally disenfranchised. Guess what: you won't get non-voters to vote for you by being a scold, or by saying the other guys are worse. The opposition wasted two and a half terms shaking their heads and going 'wow, can you believe this guy' at everything Key did, instead of articulating a vision of an alternative.

For more than eight years, they've literally failed to show how taking half an hour out of a Saturday to go to a polling station is of greater material benefit than doing something else.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

yeah and this is sort of my point. Criminalising cannabis to the extent that we do seems a bit silly, but legalising it will transfer (a probably lesser) burden from Police to the ministry of health, who have already proven that they couldn't control the legal sale of synthetic cannabinoids - how will they cope with what will be sold with the actual thing?

then there is the home grown element. As soon as legal synnies like K2 or w/e were being sold people were already trying to flood the market with their frickin lawn clippings laced with morphine and chlorine in order to get a quick and powerful high.

Most people aren't going to be stupid about this sort of thing once real weed does become legal but it will only take a couple of stupid idiots lacing their pot with something dumb like telazol or some poo poo to get a new high and then the drums of prohibition will start beating again.

someone think
of

the children

synthetics are illegal, they passed a law that said you could sell them if they were proven safe, then changed the law to make it literally impossible to do that because you can't do animal or human testing using synthetics. so instead of having a regulated and reasonably safe market place we have an unregulated black market. it was fairly retarded.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

exmarx posted:

computer, do a search for 'why doesn't labour win'
I'm glad you articulated that.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
:smugmrgw:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Labour's alternative vision for the future is "we're not national lol what are you gonna do vote for the other guy?"

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Labour's alternative vision for the future is "we're not national lol what are you gonna do vote for the other guy?"

Well, it worked for Hillary

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Labour's internal polling has them on 23%. Another small % drop from there and Little wont be back in parliament.

What in the christ was his strategy in saying he was maybe unfit to lead the party and that he thought about quitting? Is there some sort of 4D chess going on here or are Labour just that bad?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I get the feeling by saying that he was trying to come off as 'honest' and 'transparent' so as to be different to national but politics, sadly, doesn't work that way.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I am not sure where this narrative comes from other than people here buying into whatever junk is being feed to you or massive internal bias or self defeatism perhaps?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
A fresh approach to the same old poo poo

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exmarx posted:

A fresh approach to the same old poo poo

So self defeatism on your part then.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

oohhboy posted:

I am not sure where this narrative comes from other than people here buying into whatever junk is being feed to you or massive internal bias or self defeatism perhaps?
Them repeatedly campaigning on being "change" or being "fresh" while reaffirming their commitment to not do anything different from National except, when pushed, to redirect the surplus away from Middle New Zealand.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Virtually all mainstream media coverage of Labour is negative and National have also successfully managed to split the white working class off of the low income vote with their kiwi battlers/go getters vs losers and scroungers narrative. Labour need big flashing capital letter policies that directly target the white working class and their criticisms of National need to focus on undermining their power/masculinity and competence. Calling them mean or whatever does nothing because that is just "making the tough decisions" to their voters.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sebmojo posted:

synthetics are illegal, they passed a law that said you could sell them if they were proven safe, then changed the law to make it literally impossible to do that because you can't do animal or human testing using synthetics. so instead of having a regulated and reasonably safe market place we have an unregulated black market. it was fairly retarded.

Don't get me wrong I know they are illegal. What's the penalty? Like a fifty buck fine? Compared with a potential life sentence for dealing meth? Oh sweet!

Even when they were legal, I guess, and sold in dairies across this fine land, I wouldn't class them being anywhere close to being as regulated as say alcohol and tobacco (also available at yor local dairy!)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Also lol@the shambles that is labour. Somehow they managed to get Bill English of all people elected as prime minister

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Even when they were legal, I guess, and sold in dairies across this fine land, I wouldn't class them being anywhere close to being as regulated as say alcohol and tobacco (also available at yor local dairy!)
It's because the entire reason they were legal to sell was because they hadn't been regulated yet. When a drug came under regulation manufacturers would just swap it out for a similar one. The 2013 law changed the onus to be on manufacturers to show the drugs were safe before putting them on the market rather than the previous regime where the onus was on the government to pull unsafe drugs off the market.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

But that's not what has happened, now you get people putting actual rat poison on any dried green plant and calling it synthetic cannabis

Well that's what is happening here. But the focus seems to be on the fact these people are begging on the street so they can spend their dole money on this poison.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Labour man, where do you start?
First, let's choose a leader who has one of those tight-looking mouths, like you just assume he's an rear end in a top hat and mentally just write him off. Politics shouldn't be about appearances but sorry dude you look like you took a bite out of a poo poo and lemon sandwich.
Have almost zero actual visibility in the world except when National does something bad, and then jump up and down shouting like my three-year-old when the dog is doing a bad thing.
When pressed for policy details, just kind make like a 'i-unno' noise and then slowly think, like I can see the gears going in your head, then come up with a re-worded version of whatever bullshit National is doing only harder.

I got so loving mad about how useless they are the other day. They need to be getting out there and taking peoples anger and frustration and redirecting it. What are people mad about? Housing, don't loving blame foreigners even though it's easy to. Give the real reasons and make people mad about it. Homelessness? loving the National government, give the reasons and come up with a solution. The same people who voted National are the ones complaining about begging and demanding a solution, if it was pointed out why homelessness exists and how National have ramped it up then maybe it would help. Synthetic cannabis deaths? Same thing.
There seems to be an unwillingness to even try to get this across. I realise there's a risk of sounding like you constantly blame National for everything but a lot of people who may not vote might actually respond to it. If you're giving an actual adult reason to vote, even if it's just against the party in power, then that's a vote that wasn't in the mix before.

Probably none of what I wrote makes sense but I get all mad and that's how it seems to me and I'm not even a Labour party member, I've always voted Green and will do again.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
No, it makes sense - Incompetence on the left, Malice on the right, and here I am.

Stuck in the middle with you

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The message at the rallies do go into the policy stuff people here want.

The problem is the solutions are hard to soundbite and you can't put rallies on the 6 o'clock news. It has nothing to do with how "Personable" Little is, solutions are hard and take time. It is way easier to say there isn't a problem so you don't have to fix it like National has been doing for the past 9 years. It's even easier than blaming foreigners since it is asking people to blame themselves with misplaced personal responsibility.

Little might not be the smooth person there but I think we have forgotten what a real person is oppose to the empty suit that is Key.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Who but labour supporters go to labour rallies? 250 people in levin ain't going to send the media in a frenzy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That's like half the township.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Well gently caress me.
It's looking like Little is going to step down and hospital pass Jacinda.

This can't loving happen. They have in her a good future "face" for the party that they can groom for leadership, but she'll be damaged goods if she has to lead them into this absolute hiding... It's Bill English, for gently caress's sake! How the Hell do you lose an election to him?

If he does drop out, someone else had better jump in and save the future of the party or they're completely done for.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

They have the policies what they lack is leadership and communication. The leadership is not just the guy at the top. It is all of the senior MPs and associated party workers. Too many of which seem to be holding on for the right moment to retire from politics. Guess what that was shortly after the last election.
I think they guessed if they held on until this election they could move on to a nice diplomatic role by retiring as a government MP instead of an opposition one.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Can't wait for National 2017, 2020, and 2023.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The policies aren't that good

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
he's gone

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jacinda/Davis 2017?

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 31, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

So, uh, Jacinda for PM?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
loving waste of her talents throwing her on a losing 2017 ticket at the last minute. Sounds like more of a job for Robertson.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The thing about labour's polling being terrible is that it's still a knife edge overall for a potential left government - if Ardern can scavenge like 3% from somewhere that's not the Greens and not gently caress up otherwise, they win.

Probably decided it was worth the gamble instead of waiting 3 more years for English to bed in.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Even with current polling a Lab/Green/NZF govt would get over the line. It's just that Labour needs to have a decent share of the vote otherwise Winston will ride rough shod over them in coalition talks.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
It's dangerous to assume that Winston's going to go with Labour anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah but you can assume Lab/Greens aren't going to do it on their own

• Locked thread