Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What was in that message from Bogarus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

What was in that message from Bogarus?

I must have forgotten to document it, so I genuinely cannot remember!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, at this point in the game I was mostly satisfied with my undead engine and the three capitals I added to mine. (Ulm, Mictlan and Jomon are all flying the Caelum-banners at this point.)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

How are u posted:

I must have forgotten to document it, so I genuinely cannot remember!

It was something to the effect of 'Watch as I destroy the Entire Nation of Gath' before sending him to die against a stupidly strong army.

WELP.

I am sure that is the last we hear of him.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Is it possible to get a map of what the world currently looks like now?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

ashnjack posted:

...what the world currently looks like now?

Wait, I have something for this...

edit:

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 30, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ramc posted:

I am sure that is the last we hear of him.
With both you and How are u emphasizing that The Entire Nation of Gath will be irrelevant from now on, I'm utterly convinced that will truly be so.[/sarcasm]

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:captainpop:

It's pretty accurate, though. Especially with Utterdark cloaking the world in night.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How are u posted:

:captainpop:

It's pretty accurate, though. Especially with Utterdark cloaking the world in night.

It's p much dominions.mp4

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ashnjack posted:

Is it possible to get a map of what the world currently looks like now?

Ok I didn't take the time to make actual maps of the game world while doing work on the LP, but here's some best-approximations based on screen shots.

Here's the original map with some start points (minus Ragha and Mictlan)

Here's the map I made around turn 30 when we were fighting our war against Xibalba.

The world on the eve of the initiation of the great crusade against Man (turn 45)

And here's pretty much what the world looks like now.

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 30, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 107

Turn 107 begins as normal, though it seems that Bogarus has sent a message:

Looks like it is in reaction to “The Entire Nation of Gath” the Necromancer’s antics from the previous turn.

Our Disease Demons continue their terrifying assassination campaign in Bogarus. This turn, one of them finds and kills a Lich:

Liches are high-level Enchantment summons. They’re powerful Death mages, and Immortal, but they lack the flexibility of Vampires Lords because they cannot fly nor do they have Blood magic.

One of our Bowl of Blood casters found a site in Boggiton:

Ha! Well this would have been a great site to find in the first year or two of the game! Like the site in Scytha that lets us summon 1 Fiend of Darkness each turn, this site lets us summon 1 Devil. The game will probably be over in a few turns, so it’s entirely useless to us.

You may notice that we Wished this turn. We Wished for this interesting little item right here:

The Gate Stone is unique in that it is the only item in the game that is actually cheaper to Wish for than to forge. It’s hideous price-tag reflects it’s amazing utility, for the Gate Stone allows the commander who possesses it to cast the spell Astral Travel at will:

There’s no better way to move massive numbers of troops quickly.

Just look at all the battles we fougth this turn:

The first battle of note took place in Durland, where our massive army of demons was preparing to storm the fortress. Bogarus decided to attack…

With The Entire Nation of Gath :doh:

The Dominions AI is bad, and (this was news to me), apparantely when deciding whether or not an enemy force on the battlefield is strong enough to trigger gem-use, very heavily weighs whether or not enemy mages are carrying items. The Entire Nation of Gath the Necromancer was carrying 2(!!) Lightless Lanterns, nothing else, and yet that seemed enough to cause all of our high level mages to start dumping gems into battlefield buffs:

Guys...stop :(

The Necromancer was then immediately killed by some Air Elementals. Good grief!

RIP The Entire Nation of Gath the Necromancer.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, our army advancing into Pangaea’s cave province of Red Mines encountered some resistance, including a few interesting mages:

Most of then killed themselves by hurling evocations at the Se’irim, though.

Watching mages evoke themselves to death never gets old.

We attacked Pangaea’s Throne Province of Witherland with a bunch of Vampires and a Kohen Gadol. The PD was steamrolled:

Yawn!

But it looks like Caelum attacked the province this turn as well!

Uh oh! Our erstwhile ally has arrived!

Caelum’s army of low-level Lab mages put up a good effort, but ultimately couldn’t stand against our Vampires, who are much stronger necromancers. Our Kohen Gadol even threw a couple well aimed Pillars of Fire in at the end:

Pow!

Smacked down. Sorry, Caelum.

Caelum’s forces were very resoundingly turned away, and our siege of Witherlands begins:

My Throne! Mine!

We cracked a few more forts and fought a few more battles, but by this point you, dear readers, all know the drill:

Attack! Fight!

Vamp!

So, what’s going on next turn? On the Bogarus front we will be attacking pretty much every adjacent Bogarussian province in the North. We’ll crack them all, isolate Bogarus’ capitol, and then siege it down at our leisure.

In the Pangaean South we’re moving forces to reinforce the siege at Witherlands. The army that just took Red Mines finally gets to advance onto the Throne Province of Jhira itself. Jhira contains the Throne of the Sun, one of Ragha’s early Thrones.

Finally, regarding Thrones, we should take a tally of what we’ve got and what we’ll be able to get in the next few turns. Here’s the global Throne list:

As you can see the game victory condition is for one player to own 25 Ascension Points (Oh, is that what they’re called?). We currently own the Thrones of: The Pantokrator, Eternal Suffering, Sorcery, Death, and Misfortune. That gives us a total of 13 Ascension Points right now.

We are currently in possession of, but have yet to claim, additional Thrones. Those Thrones are: Elements, Air, Gaia, and the Iron Throne. They are worth a combined 9 points, so if we claim them all we will have a total of 22 points!

Here’s the thing: The Throne of Earth is sitting in Witherlands, which we’re sieging down now. The Throne of the Sun, as I mentioned a moment ago, is in Jhira. If we claim all of the Thrones we now possess plus the Throne of the Sun…we win. Our current Thrones are heavily defended, and Caelum doesn’t have any force projection powers to speak of anyway. The Throne of the Sun in Jhira is so far away from any of Caelum’s forces that he’d never be able to stop us in time.

We’re going to win. We’re going to become God.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Behold, I have engineered the destruction of the entire nation of Gath!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I'm expecting Gath to win the game and then somehow lose anyways.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Ramc posted:

Behold, I have engineered the destruction of the entire nation of Gath!

Brilliant move by a player always thinking 10 turns ahead. This could really alter the balance.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

farraday posted:

Brilliant move by a player always thinking 10 turns ahead. This could really alter the balance.

As above, so below motherfuckers :smuggo:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm expecting Gath to win the game and then somehow lose anyways.

Well, if you look at what the lore implies about the nature of the ascension wars...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Okay, so, what's the counter to the damage-reversal effect that Gath's been rolling with on its blessed troops this entire game? Like, are there any attacks that bypass the effect?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, so, what's the counter to the damage-reversal effect that Gath's been rolling with on its blessed troops this entire game? Like, are there any attacks that bypass the effect?

It is an MR check so casting Antimagic can help but odds are you will still take plenty of damage. You can summon tons of chaff with things like horde of skeletons so they take the damage and you don't care, too. Damage from fatigue doesn't trigger it iirc so you can TRY to fatigue them to death.

Ulm is basically the counter because their national spells to cast a zillion anti magic shotgun blast iron needles are hard coded to ignore the B9 bless.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

PurpleXVI posted:

The Blood 9 blessing? Magic resistance and mind control.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Indirect battlefield evocations such as "Fire Cloud" or "Cloud of Death" also don't trigger the blood vengeance, IIRC.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

We currently own the Thrones of: The Pantokrator, Eternal Suffering, Sorcery, Death, and Misfortune.

because of course we loving do

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looks like victory is yours, then. Let's see how it all falls apart.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 108

I’m growing weary of this war-torn world, aren’t you, friends? Well I have good news, because soon we’ll have the power to put an end to all wars, and to reshape our world as we see fit, ushering in an age of glorious peace.

Turn 108 begins like every other. The only thing to note during the Magic Phase is that one of our Disease Demon assassins encountered something interesting once again:

Tough dude.

Marius the Ether Lord here is a powerful fellow. Ramc had indicated in IRC that he’s racing to raise a mage to Astral 9 so that he can try to Armageddon the world again before he dies. Could he perhaps be using an Ether Lord to do this? Marius is also carrying an interesting artifact:

Look at our blood hunting. If your enemy is every hunting like this know that you’ve lost the game already:

:lol:

There are a bunch of battles in the Battle Phase, but few of them are noteworthy. We attacked more Pangaean territory, tearing down Temples and slaughtering PD. We took a rebellious province back from the independent Villains that seized it half a dozen turns ago:

Villainous rebels? In my kingdom of undeath??

We stormed and took two Pangaean fortresses, taking some minor casualties in our army of Sacreds:

The magical, temporary armies conjured by Enchanted Forests attacked Pangaean and Caelan provinces, and, as usual. A small group of unfortunate Trolls decided to attack a Greater Horror sieging one of Bogarus’ forts:

RIP Shrek.

Here’s something of note: one of our few remaining scouts was discovered and killed while moving through Pangaea’s territory of Osandias:

Wow! That is a -massive- patrolling force. That army must have been patrolling Osandias ever since Afrosquirrel started chain-staling, haha. You can see there’s a small contingent of Released Ones in the army. We killed several Released mages a turn ago in Pangaea’s province of Red Mines. Released Ones have Dark Power (2), so in the Darkness of Utterdark their combat stats balloon significantly!

Leading the patrolling army is Dwight D. Eisenhower himself, Prophet of The Military Industrail Complex, the Pretender God of Pangaea. If I remember correctly, Eisenhower was Pangaea’s original Prophet. He’s survived the entire game. We’re going to put together a force to attack Osandias and burn this army to ash.

Let’s look at the lay of the land. In Bogarussian territory you can see that we’ve successfully put to siege all of the fortresses in the provinces adjacent to Bogarus’ capitol. We’ll be storming the fort in Fom, and others will follow in subsequent turns. If you look carefully you can see that I moved Marut, our second Seraph, to Durland the previous turn. My thought was that he could sit there and claim the Throne when necessary. I -forgot- that Durland has a Leper Fens site that spreads Disease, and so of course our incredibly expensive Seraph immediately became Diseased. We’re moving Marut off to a province with some Healers for now, jeez.

In Northern Pangaea we continue to take territory. We’ll storm more forts, and next turn we’ll have forces ready to send against Pan’s Prophet.

In Southern Pangaea you can see we’re sieging Thrones in both the far Eastern and Western ends of the empire. We’ll storm the fort in Witherland next turn, and we are moving Vampires to Jhira to assist in tearing down the fortress walls therein.

In the selected province of Stone Grave Mountains you can see that the scouting report indicates that an Eater of the Dead is present. The Eater of the Dead is a unique summon, an interesting classic that’s been around since at least Dominions 2. We’re going to send a Horror to the province next turn to get a look at it!

Finally, tracking Caelum’s movements in Southern Bogarus, we can see that he’s not doing much.

Utterdark has really hurt Caelum’s ability to project power by virtue of reducing the bulk of his armies to nothing via desertion. I am guessing that his strategy was to transition to a raised-skeleton and corpse construct based military eventually (thus all of the Mound Fiends he summoned, they can raise skeletons for free), but that’s a much harder and slower route to take towards upkeep-free spammable armies than using Blood Magic. Just look at the army size graph:

Anyway, Caelum looks to still be sieging Bogarus’ provinces of Saetica and Runia. We’ve been pouring Horror Seeds into the large army on Saetica, so if or when it actually storms the fort it should hopefully be a good show.

We’re getting closer to possessing all the Thrones we need to win. Just a few more turns, now. I am unsure whether we’ll simply take them and win immediately, or whether we should hold off for a few turns to do interesting things like peek inside Pangaea’s capitol, or finally storm and take Bogarus itself.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

A money ring that makes copies of itself? That seems Pretty Good.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
The actual effect of the money ring is +200 gold. That is roughly the price of one expensive mage or 2 cheap mages. It is a unique ring so it can't be mass produced. It requires construction 8, so it is highly unlikely to appear in the early game where it might be relevant. So the potential impact on a game of dominions 4 is basically zero.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It would be pretty funny if your Seraph proceeded to pick up Feeble-Minded next turn and thus lost the ability to claim Thrones.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Much like the"real" one, only the original copies itself, it's not exponential. You'd run out of space in a few weeks.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Hey now Draupnir is like a free temple every other turn.

:gitgud:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I will never stop laughing if Armageddon comes out before How are u can secure the thrones. That's about as quintessentially stupid a board state as you can get in Dominions without LA Ermor or LA R'lyeh factoring into things.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
"Sire, the oceans have turned to blood, fissures to the underworld have opened from which pour forth the hordes of darkness, the fires of hell burn brightly in every major city, and the only light from the sky is from meteors falling from the heavens. This world is hosed."

"But it is mine." *claims final throne*

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"It's okay once I have absolute power I can fix it."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Zereth posted:

"It's okay once I have absolute power I can fix it."
"Fix what? The power base that brought me to absolute power?"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

frankenfreak posted:

This is Trump all over again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is Trump all over again.

#NotMyPantokrator

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

frankenfreak posted:

Honestly, fixing that would be a smart thing to do. Don't want anyone else to get ideas, after all.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hellsau posted:

#NotMyPantokrator
MDGA

Ramc
May 4, 2008

"Now that I'm God, I could dispel the unnatural darkness that surrounds the world..."

"...but all of my undead and demonic minions have dark vision and my fiends are even MORE powerful with it up and really what did the -average- mortal do to enable my ascension and furthermore..."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Earned Income Tax Credits for Vampires

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Free healthcare for blood slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
#BuildTheJervellanWall

• Locked thread